IGNORED

Seewalds 33: Schroedinger’s Uterus

Jellybean

Yeah, I ran around barefoot constantly and never had a problem. I do get where @Sky with diamonds is coming from, though, because experiencing something like that (even second hand) can put you off something for eternity! I used to drink a glass of milk every day when I was a kid. Then one day I poured myself a glass, took a big gulp, and it was sour. I literally never drank a glass of milk again. Irrational, sure, but that association in my brain was powerful!

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jessa just keeps inching her way up to being my least-hated fundie. 

9195F9B2-ED5B-476D-B56D-54B13E262A47.thumb.png.231f4df95701e9a83d306dea6e073a95.png

I hate that this is something she has to address. As someone who struggles at times with body image, I would be mortified to have people constantly scrutinizing my stomach. I know it’s shroedinger’s uterus and comes with the job, but it’s still rude to ask. I’m glad she dealt with it using her typical Jessa Snark.

Jessa's snark is soooo wasted on fundamentalism. She's actually pretty funny, and I've always loved that she has a more sarcastic and assertive personality, because it stands at odds with what a fundie woman is 'supposed' to be like. I wish she'd leave the cult, for obvious reasons, but also because I think her assessment of it from outside would probably be pretty clever and amusing.

Our 16 month old daughter goes barefoot or wears socks inside, but usually has sneakers on outside. Once it warms up more I’ll probably let her go barefoot on the grass. I’ll just have to check her really carefully for ticks - we’ve had an insane explosion in the tick population here due to several warmer than normal winters and tick borne illnesses are not something I want my baby to have to deal with. 

Hahah Jessa, that's too funny. Schroedinger's uterus continues! Stay tuned! :) 

My favorite is a podiatrist that insists a woman (a friend of mine) must wear a shoe with a 1.5" to 2" heel every day in order for her feet to be "healthy."

1 hour ago, Mayluka said:

Jessa just keeps inching her way up to being my least-hated fundie. 

9195F9B2-ED5B-476D-B56D-54B13E262A47.thumb.png.231f4df95701e9a83d306dea6e073a95.png

I hate that this is something she has to address. As someone who struggles at times with body image, I would be mortified to have people constantly scrutinizing my stomach. I know it’s shroedinger’s uterus and comes with the job, but it’s still rude to ask. I’m glad she dealt with it using her typical Jessa Snark.

I wish she would start messing with people. Post a few pictures from the waist up or hide her belly behind plants, people and other things. Then wear a skin tight shirt that shows a flat belly. Then maybe post hints like blue or pink on social media, or picture of a newborn onesie or when posting her boys put comments about three kids. It could be a lot of fun.    

When we were young, my sister and I used to play outside all the time in a nearby forest.  This was back in Poland in a super rural area where everyone knew each other.  Sister stepped on a nail that went through her shoe.  Part of the nail was pulled out and we thought everything was fine as she didn't have any issues.  Fast forward about 10 years, and we've now immigrated to America.  While watching TV, he bumps the top of her foot on the door stopper.  Her foot become crazy inflamed and  painful.  She goes to the local doctor, who after pushing and prodding on the very painful spot, thinks it's a calcium deposit.  After taking an x-ray, his diagnosis stands.  A few weeks later, the pain isn't going away, so sister goes to a podiatrist.  The podiatrist isn't too alarmed because x-rays were done, so let's see what those look like and we'll go from there.  The moment he sees the x-rays (a few hours after he's seen her and we're all at home - this is back when x-rays weren't easily email-able), he calls and schedules her for the emergency operation to remove a 2-inch nail from her foot.  Somehow, her body completely accepted the nail and she never had issues with it until bumped.  But what's even more baffling is how any doctor couldn't read an x-ray well enough to tell that there was a foreign object in her food.  I mean, it was stark white on the x-ray.  Even I could tell it didn't belong there and I've had no medical training whatsoever...  Anyways, sorry for the drift...  I always think it's a pretty crazy story..

As for Jessa's sons walking around barefoot, I think it's completely awesome.  I loved walking barefoot on paved walkways.  Can't now due to heel spurs in both feet, but miss it terribly. 

As for Jessa's InstaStory, all I can say is, her response is awesome!  She nailed how to deal with the constant questions is a very funny way and I gotta say, she's definitely becoming more and more of my pet fundie.  

I have to say, I love Jessa's sass and the fact that she is not currently pregnant. When she got pregnant again so quickly after Spurgeon, I got pretty worried that she'd be popping them out every 15 months like her mother. Now Henry is almost 15 months old and Jessa is not pregnant, I'll call that a win. I sincerely hope they are actively preventing, although it is of course too early to tell (and really, unless they say it outright, we will probably never know for sure).

I used to go in my yard barefoot as a kid, and we had neighbors with kids who were the very overprotective type. One day I’m outside playing with the kids and their dad and the little girl asks her dad why she can’t be barefoot like me, and he responds “mstee’s parents don’t care if she steps in crap”. I was around 7 or so, and never forgot that rude remark. No real point to my story except to say that he was kind of an asshole :pb_lol: 

I still enjoy the feeling of grass on my bare feet. And I’ve never stepped in crap. 

So I feel like I'm the weird kid cause I never (and still don't) like having barefeet, even during the summer. Me and my brother joke its a twin thing because we just refuse to have barefeet. It just feels weird to me!

barefoot is necessary for life and health...I HATE shoes!!! My kids weren't/aren't any better...velcro was a hell no with them...I remember seeing shoes going flying in the car...didn't matter how cold it was. Back in the dark ages I would be barefoot from the day school got out until the day before school started...and if I HAD to wear shoes, they were flip flops. I could walk home on the asphalt street in the middle of the summer, barefoot. My mother hated it but she had skinny, bony feet that she'd mangled with stilettos...my bigfoot wide-ass feet hated shoes my entire life. The only real shoes I'll wear are tennis shoes...that's it. 

I don't see a problem with little kids going barefoot. It's good for them...

12 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Yeah, I ran around barefoot constantly and never had a problem. I do get where @Sky with diamonds is coming from, though, because experiencing something like that (even second hand) can put you off something for eternity! I used to drink a glass of milk every day when I was a kid. Then one day I poured myself a glass, took a big gulp, and it was sour. I literally never drank a glass of milk again. Irrational, sure, but that association in my brain was powerful!

In the years before and since, I've never heard a toddler scream so much. Poor little thing was hysterical for awhile, and it's something I won't forget. I'm glad the ground in Jessa's video looked to be clean, smooth while Henry was doing his exploring. I hope I didn't come across as  BEC about the lack of footwear.

7 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

So I feel like I'm the weird kid cause I never (and still don't) like having barefeet, even during the summer. Me and my brother joke its a twin thing because we just refuse to have barefeet. It just feels weird to me!

Same here. I thought it was just me. I have balance issues, and if I didn't wear footwear, I think I'd be falling all over the place. 

10 hours ago, Oh_Dear! said:

When we were young, my sister and I used to play outside all the time in a nearby forest.  This was back in Poland in a super rural area where everyone knew each other.  Sister stepped on a nail that went through her shoe.  Part of the nail was pulled out and we thought everything was fine as she didn't have any issues.  Fast forward about 10 years, and we've now immigrated to America.  While watching TV, he bumps the top of her foot on the door stopper.  Her foot become crazy inflamed and  painful.  She goes to the local doctor, who after pushing and prodding on the very painful spot, thinks it's a calcium deposit.  After taking an x-ray, his diagnosis stands.  A few weeks later, the pain isn't going away, so sister goes to a podiatrist.  The podiatrist isn't too alarmed because x-rays were done, so let's see what those look like and we'll go from there.  The moment he sees the x-rays (a few hours after he's seen her and we're all at home - this is back when x-rays weren't easily email-able), he calls and schedules her for the emergency operation to remove a 2-inch nail from her foot.  Somehow, her body completely accepted the nail and she never had issues with it until bumped.  But what's even more baffling is how any doctor couldn't read an x-ray well enough to tell that there was a foreign object in her food.  I mean, it was stark white on the x-ray.  Even I could tell it didn't belong there and I've had no medical training whatsoever...  Anyways, sorry for the drift...  I always think it's a pretty crazy story..

As for Jessa's sons walking around barefoot, I think it's completely awesome.  I loved walking barefoot on paved walkways.  Can't now due to heel spurs in both feet, but miss it terribly. 

As for Jessa's InstaStory, all I can say is, her response is awesome!  She nailed how to deal with the constant questions is a very funny way and I gotta say, she's definitely becoming more and more of my pet fundie.  

I cringed so much reading about your sisters injury. Hopefully she made a full recovery :tw_heart:

13 hours ago, KelseyAnn said:

To be fair, I STILL ended up with a three-inch nail in my foot WHILE wearing shoes so- what can ya do? 

True, things can happen no matter what.

A funny story about footwear.When Crocs were the fad a few years back, I remember running across a crosswalk, and the strap broke and the croc came of my foot, I had to go back and get it. I haven't wore Crocs since.

5 hours ago, Sky with diamonds said:

I cringed so much reading about your sisters injury. Hopefully she made a full recovery :tw_heart:

Completely full recovery. Thank you. Her immune system is quite amazing for “accepting” the nail for all those years.  She has no side-effects, runs/walks at least 2 miles a day and generally is pretty bad ass. 

23 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Please Rufus, let them not grow up to be hateful close-minded fundies.

Why would they grow up to be anything else?

Even if Jessa and Ben moderated their terrible views, which is in itself unlikely, I don't see either of them cutting off their families or minimizing contact with them. It would be very hard for these two sweet boys to grow up around grandparents and (literally) a hundred cousins, most or all of whom hold hateful views, whether they be directed at LGBTQ individuals, women, liberals, Planned Parenthood, public schools, basically pick your poison. Imagine a life where your loved ones all have basically singular beliefs, and you do love them and think they are good people, it takes a lot of courage and mental stamina to walk away from that and recognize it for what it is.

This is the reason the new generation of Duggars is up a shit creek without a paddle at birth...it would honestly take a very significant number of Duggar grown children to walk away from fundamentalism so as to normalize non-fundamentalism within the family. If it's just one couple and their kids, forget about it. I don't think we'll know until the youngest 6-7 of them are adults.

59 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

Even if Jessa and Ben moderated their terrible views, which is in itself unlikely, I don't see either of them cutting off their families or minimizing contact with them. It would be very hard for these two sweet boys to grow up around grandparents and (literally) a hundred cousins, most or all of whom hold hateful views, whether they be directed at LGBTQ individuals, women, liberals, Planned Parenthood, public schools, basically pick your poison. Imagine a life where your loved ones all have basically singular beliefs, and you do love them and think they are good people, it takes a lot of courage and mental stamina to walk away from that and recognize it for what it is.

This is the reason the new generation of Duggars is up a shit creek without a paddle at birth...it would honestly take a very significant number of Duggar grown children to walk away from fundamentalism so as to normalize non-fundamentalism within the family. If it's just one couple and their kids, forget about it. I don't think we'll know until the youngest 6-7 of them are adults.

I feel you there. What's heart-wrenching to me is some of the kids and grandkids are gonna break away, and I can only imagine it coming from a place of deep pain and hurt within that huge family context you just gave. Someone's gonna be queer and get shunned, someone's marriage or their parents' marriage is gonna fall apart ( not forgetting about Joshley, just they didn't leave/ we don't know how the M kids are processing that), or something else equally hard. 

3 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

Why would they grow up to be anything else?

Just wishful thinking on my part---purely.  I don't really hold any hope of any one of them being "free" despite the hopefulness of our moniker.  :(

22 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Jessa's snark is soooo wasted on fundamentalism. She's actually pretty funny, and I've always loved that she has a more sarcastic and assertive personality, because it stands at odds with what a fundie woman is 'supposed' to be like. I wish she'd leave the cult, for obvious reasons, but also because I think her assessment of it from outside would probably be pretty clever and amusing.

Yeah right?! Jessa is probably the snarkiest fundie out there and she usually nails it so perfectly. I am so torn on Jessa. She can be this bigoted obnoxious brat, and then she does something completely awesome. I am not holding my breath for any of these fundies, but I really wish Jessa and Ben would leave the cult and see the light. Mostly because I think it could make Jinger and Jeremy reconsider their beliefs as well. Jessa could pursue a career in whatever field she likes, raising and doting on her two boys, live with Ben whom she really seems to love. There's so much potential wasted with Jessa being a narrow-minded, fundie SAHW. Not that she would have to (if staying home with her kids is what she really wants), but she could. 

16 hours ago, feministxtian said:

barefoot is necessary for life and health...I HATE shoes!!! My kids weren't/aren't any better...velcro was a hell no with them...I remember seeing shoes going flying in the car...didn't matter how cold it was. Back in the dark ages I would be barefoot from the day school got out until the day before school started...and if I HAD to wear shoes, they were flip flops. I could walk home on the asphalt street in the middle of the summer, barefoot. My mother hated it but she had skinny, bony feet that she'd mangled with stilettos...my bigfoot wide-ass feet hated shoes my entire life. The only real shoes I'll wear are tennis shoes...that's it. 

I don't see a problem with little kids going barefoot. It's good for them...

Grounding is a thing. 

4 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

Thanks for this, it elaborates on my rather cryptic comment. They are growing up in a hateful, closed mind fundy world. It doesn't matter how cute they are, that toxicity will be drilled into them. Unlike the polygamous Brown family, independent thinking is not accepted by the Duggars and their ilk, they barely tolerated Cousin Amy. Hence, I wouldn't expect the new babies to end up any differently than their parents or grandparents if nothing changes. 

3 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Just wishful thinking on my part---purely.  I don't really hold any hope of any one of them being "free" despite the hopefulness of our moniker.  :(

I know. Me either.

3 hours ago, pandora said:

I feel you there. What's heart-wrenching to me is some of the kids and grandkids are gonna break away, and I can only imagine it coming from a place of deep pain and hurt within that huge family context you just gave. Someone's gonna be queer and get shunned, someone's marriage or their parents' marriage is gonna fall apart ( not forgetting about Joshley, just they didn't leave/ we don't know how the M kids are processing that), or something else equally hard. 

Why do you think this? The second generation is hitting 30 and not even freaky Josh has the courage to leave the fundy cult. Lots of financial ties here too. No such thing as queer as far as they are concerned. Other fundy escapees indeed have experienced great pain and hurt, but it motivated them to get out. The Duggars suppress pain and hurt, sending people to JTTH and the like to control them. Its a cult and cults are hard to leave, not impossible, but hard. Anna has siblings that got out, so there's that. 

If any of the Duggar children "break away" or at least become more liberal in their beliefs, I think it'll be Jessa and Ben. They've seemed to mellow out and calm down considerably since they were first married, and Ben seems to enjoy the more academic side of theology, leading me to believe they'll be likely to break away.

Then again, I don't actually know any of them. This is all based off my observations of their social media and my own intuition. 

43 minutes ago, Alicja said:

If any of the Duggar children "break away" or at least become more liberal in their beliefs, I think it'll be Jessa and Ben. They've seemed to mellow out and calm down considerably since they were first married, and Ben seems to enjoy the more academic side of theology, leading me to believe they'll be likely to break away.

Then again, I don't actually know any of them. This is all based off my observations of their social media and my own intuition. 

I know Jessa is getting all the love lately, but I do think Ben might just be the fundy with a tender heart. No, I dont think they will drift any further than fundy light, sadly.  Ben does strike me as a true-blue, dewy-eyed believer. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived