IGNORED

Alyssa & John: Life With Three Daughters

Jellybean

On 5/15/2018 at 6:21 AM, Melissa1977 said:

Yes, but it ages her a lot. 

I have always thought most of these fundies look older than their chronological ages...probably because they are living the life of much older people.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I have always thought most of these fundies look older than their chronological ages...probably because they are living the life of much older people.

What ages Alyssa the most is the 3 kids. If i see someone with 3 children i immediately think they have to be at least in their 30s.

Kids will age you. Look at jessa and ben's courting photos compared to now. Jessa has aged so much.

Nothing wrong with that.

Haha, Alyssa's outfit is basically my go-to for when I'm working with customers, and she's only a year or so younger than me. I wear flats or much smaller heels though and just mix and match the blouse. I have some really cute blouses with quirky designs on them (pandas, card suits, hearts) so I think that makes it a little more youthful. That said, in my industry it's often better to look a bit older than you are. 

On 5/16/2018 at 8:03 PM, llucie said:

What ages Alyssa the most is the 3 kids. If i see someone with 3 children i immediately think they have to be at least in their 30s.

I have four kids and I’m almost 28. (I’m not a fundie though, promise.) People still look at my husband and I with our baby faces in shock and awe that we are their parents. We look 18 still lol.

Alyssa is only a few months older than me. Even if I was in a relationship, there’s no way I could contemplate even *conceiving* a kid at the moment, let alone actually *have* three. 

I know it may well be bullcrap, but it’s interesting how the married Bates girls have specified a number of kids when asked (even before having any, IIRC) as opposed to the Duggar girls who all spout the “as many as God will give us” line. I don’t know if Michael specified a number, but she always seemed the most likely to be closest to the full-on Quiverfull ideology anyway (fertility issues notwithstanding). 

I have always thought Alyssa looked much older than she was. When I first joined this site and she was special friends/courting (I don't remember exactly) I was shocked that she was only 19, I would have guessed a decade older easily.

Someone with better tech skills that I should zoom in on this picture and tell us what DVDs are in John and Alyssa's t stand (3rd picture in this set):

PS Does ANYONE go on vacation more than the Bates Family????

Just now, HereticHick said:

The President is the only one that comes to mind.

47 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Someone with better tech skills that I should zoom in on this picture and tell us what DVDs are in John and Alyssa's t stand (3rd picture in this set):

I think those might actually be books resting on their sides.  I can only make out the bottom two:  Fighting for Dear Life (which Google tells me is the untold story of Terri Schiavo) and Never Again: Securing America and Restoring Justice by John Ashcroft... (The spine of the book matches up the font on the book's cover on the Amazon page). So... If you were thinking those titles might show some non-funniness, sorry to disappoint you.  I wish I could make out the other titles, but even zoomed in as much as possible, they are too blurry for me.  Maybe someone else will have better eyes!

1 minute ago, QuiverDance said:

I think those might actually be books resting on their sides.  I can only make out the bottom two:  Fighting for Dear Life (which Google tells me is the untold story of Terri Schiavo) and Never Again: Securing America and Restoring Justice by John Ashcroft... (The spine of the book matches up the font on the book's cover on the Amazon page). So... If you were thinking those titles might show some non-funniness, sorry to disappoint you.  I wish I could make out the other titles, but even zoomed in as much as possible, they are too blurry for me.  Maybe someone else will have better eyes!

Here's how low my Fundie standards are- I'm glad to see that they have books that aren't The Bible or a devotional! I do wish there were others with better titles, but I get the feeling many Fundies don't read, so any books are almost a start.

The Terri Schiavo case just infuriates me. I can't imagine keeping my child in that condition or wanting to be there myself. No way. 

11 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Alyssa is only a few months older than me. Even if I was in a relationship, there’s no way I could contemplate even *conceiving* a kid at the moment, let alone actually *have* three. 

I know it may well be bullcrap, but it’s interesting how the married Bates girls have specified a number of kids when asked (even before having any, IIRC) as opposed to the Duggar girls who all spout the “as many as God will give us” line. I don’t know if Michael specified a number, but she always seemed the most likely to be closest to the full-on Quiverfull ideology anyway (fertility issues notwithstanding). 

I don’t think all the Duggars have stated that though. Those that have said it don’t seem to have repeated it often or at all either. 

As far as I recall, most of the Bateses seem to think Tori will have the most children at this point. I think they had previously said that Michael would in the lead up to Michael’s wedding, but given their fertility struggles they appear to have switched to answering with Tori instead. 

I will say it’s one thing to want something and it’s another to take steps to make it happen. At this point I am in no way convinced that Erin or Alyssa will take steps to limit their families. They could always prove me wrong and I honestly hope they do, but I very much doubt it at this point.

23 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

The Terri Schiavo case just infuriates me. I can't imagine keeping my child in that condition or wanting to be there myself. No way. 

I don't remember that much about this case, but as a parent, I cannot imagine how painful it must have been for the Schindlers.  As a spouse, I would have wanted to let my spouse go, as I know he would want.  As an attorney... this is why we should all have appropriate directives in place!

I also remember that Michael Schiavo had "moved on" emotionally and physically with other women, and that was very painful for the Schindlers as well.  It was just horrible.  

1 hour ago, QuiverDance said:

I don't remember that much about this case, but as a parent, I cannot imagine how painful it must have been for the Schindlers.  As a spouse, I would have wanted to let my spouse go, as I know he would want.  As an attorney... this is why we should all have appropriate directives in place!

I also remember that Michael Schiavo had "moved on" emotionally and physically with other women, and that was very painful for the Schindlers as well.  It was just horrible.  

I understand their pain, but at the same time I don't think I would justify that quality of life for my child. Especially if their spouse was adamant they wouldn't want that either. I'd rather let them move on into Heaven. 

It's tough all around, but frustrating that it took so long to come to a conclusion. 

10 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I understand their pain, but at the same time I don't think I would justify that quality of life for my child. Especially if their spouse was adamant they wouldn't want that either. I'd rather let them move on into Heaven. 

It's tough all around, but frustrating that it took so long to come to a conclusion. 

Don't disagree with you at all; I just understand how they came to dig their heels in the way they did.  Really sad story.

15 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Someone with better tech skills that I should zoom in on this picture and tell us what DVDs are in John and Alyssa's t stand

The top book is The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes!

5 hours ago, Dominionatrix said:

The top book is The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes!

Yes, and I believe the one beneath it to be The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. The middle book is <something> Strength, but I can’t make it out. 

If Alyssa reads this, she will probably be really freaked out that people are analysing her book collection, and never take a photo in her home again! 

If I remember correctly, old Bates website bios said that one of the younger girls (perhaps Katie?) adored Sherlock Holmes, and Alyssa's favorite book was The Count of Monte Cristo

I think Katie and one of the other girls also enjoyed Perry Mason (book? DVD? IDK) and that Warden (I think) liked old clean Western films. At least they get to see/read secular stuff, as long as it’s not “objectionable” according to their standards. 

1 hour ago, llucie said:

And they mentioned Anne of the Green Gables too, but i am not sure if the books or just the old movies.

The Anne of Green Gables books are pretty innocent, being set in the late 1800s and the last book ends after WWI. That being said, I want the Bates to point out PEI on a map. :P 

Reading a little bit more today, I found out that Taliban Dan Webster, John's father, was heavily involved in the Terri Schiavo controversy.  Figures.  

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived