IGNORED

Royal Baby is a Boy

victoriasponge

Okay, here is my guess: Prince Phillip Michael Charles. However I do like Prince Robert and Prince Stephen. I am not a fan of Albert or Arthur, but if that is what they name their child, fine... 

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it isn’t a traditional name that they would likely use, but I would love to see them include the name Spencer for this child, as a way to honor Diana’s family. 

8 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

Could be Phillip after his Great-Grandad.  Philip Arthur sounds quite Regal. 

I think it could be Phillip. 

1 hour ago, freethemall said:

Is anyone else offended by the wording "the Duchess was delivered of a son" rather than "the Duchess delivered a son"? I hate how they take her out of the action so it's something that just happened to her, not that she pushed him out.

I also don't understand how she can walk out so easily mere hours after giving birth and in HEELS. After I pushed out my 8lbs 2ozer I looked like a limping humpback for several days (then again I actively pushed for almost 8 hours).

I wonder when we'll know the name, how soon they announced it previously. I'm going to guess James Phillip.

I read somewhere that they used to use that phrasing because the mother was "being delivered safely" from the dangers of childbirth. 

I kind of hope they pick Robert, because it has Scottish Roayl associations and it would be a nice nod to the Scotland. I had hoped they'd use Alexander as a first name for Prince George, as it's also a Scottish Royal name, but was happy they at least used it as a middle name. 

I think Frederick and Arthur are more likely than Robert, Thomas and Albert, but I think any of them are in the running at this point. 

3 hours ago, viii said:

It's sort of frowned upon to name a child after someone who is still living. And since Prince Philip is still alive... I think it's doubtful they'll use Philip as a first name. However, I'll be surprised if it's not the second name. 

But one of Princess Charlotte's middle names is Elizabeth, after her grandmother Queen Elizabeth and she is still alive.

I think Phillip may well be one of the names and I wouldn't be surprised if Charles is also one of them.

1 hour ago, meee said:

I read somewhere that they used to use that phrasing because the mother was "being delivered safely" from the dangers of childbirth. 

I think that phrasing is actually very old. Probably old fashioned, but I have heard it used before and not just in connection with the Royal Family.

Middle names are fine, they tend not to do the first name after a living relative. 

And I doubt the Queen would ever allow Spencer as a name. They got Diana in a name, and perhaps they’d be allowed Francis, but I doubt Spencer would ever pass. 

I wish they’d go with Edmund, but I know it’s unlikely. 

1 minute ago, viii said:

Middle names are fine, they tend not to do the first name after a living relative. 

And I doubt the Queen would ever allow Spencer as a name. They got Diana in a name, and perhaps they’d be allowed Francis, but I doubt Spencer would ever pass. 

I wish they’d go with Edmund, but I know it’s unlikely. 

Edmund would be really nice. That one needs to make a comeback! 

Tangential Thing I learned today: Matt Smith, who played Phillip, earned MORE than Claire Foy, who played Queen Elizabeth, in the first two seasons of The Queen,

That’s fucked up.

2 hours ago, Firebird said:

I share a birthday with the new royal prince :) 

Happy birthday! 

43 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Tangential Thing I learned today: Matt Smith, who played Phillip, earned MORE than Claire Foy, who played Queen Elizabeth, in the first two seasons of The Queen,

That’s fucked up.

I’m torn. On one hand, she has the prominent role, but on the other hand, he has the bigger name draw. I had never heard of her before The Crown, whereas he’s well known. 

For season 2, the actress playing the queen will get equal pay, so they how have learned. 

5 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Edmund would be really nice. That one needs to make a comeback! 

I'd also like to see them go further back in the family tree to pick a name. How about Alfred, Lionel, Stephen, Geoffrey (maybe too close to Joffrey?), Thomas, or Edwin. 

12 hours ago, freethemall said:

Is anyone else offended by the wording "the Duchess was delivered of a son" rather than "the Duchess delivered a son"? I hate how they take her out of the action so it's something that just happened to her, not that she pushed him out.

I also don't understand how she can walk out so easily mere hours after giving birth and in HEELS. After I pushed out my 8lbs 2ozer I looked like a limping humpback for several days (then again I actively pushed for almost 8 hours).

I wonder when we'll know the name, how soon they announced it previously. I'm going to guess James Phillip.

I have to admit I read the announcement and thought "Deliver me from this enormous baby!!" It is very old-fashioned wording.

I have no idea how she's out and in heels so soon after either. 

I hope not Arthur, that's a bit of a burden to put on a baby who could be King (unlikely but you never know!) I quite like Henry Michael Phillip or combination thereof.

The name will be straight down the line traditional and carefully considered. No male equivalent of Eugenies or Savannahs here. Especially since they've been so deliberate in referencing Diana in Kate's clothing outside the hospital, on top of previously referencing her in so many other ways.

My tip: any of the names in the top 4-5 of the bookies' picks, which are Arthur, Albert, James and Frederick. The other bookies' picks have been Phillip, but I don't think they would go for a name of someone still alive, same goes for Henry, and they already used Alexander for George's middle name. Normally I'd pick James, as the whitest of white bread options, but that's Kate's brother's name, so nah. 

I'm predicting Arthur Phillip Charles or some variation of the same, though I personally prefer Frederick out of the bookies' picks. 

I bet they're secretly disappointed they can't just pick something random to shock everybody. If I was them I'd read all the lists of predicted names and then choose something completely different. However, I guess they have fairly circumscribed options, given that they need a royal name that's not currently in use by any living royals, and it can't be a royal but off-the-wall choice like Eugenie. 

I'm changing my prediction, I've been convinced that having uncle James they won't use it.  I still think Phillip is likely for a middle name because of grandpa's failing health. Maybe even Henry as a second middle name to honor his upcoming wedding.

It'd be so great if with the red dress they were hinting at something Diana-related, so it may be unlikely but I'm going to predict Spencer Phillip.

Because he is farther down the accession line, I can imagine them going for something a tad less traditional than George, though not too much so.

4 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

The name will be straight down the line traditional and carefully considered. No male equivalent of Eugenies or Savannahs here. Especially since they've been so deliberate in referencing Diana in Kate's clothing outside the hospital, on top of previously referencing her in so many other ways.

Eugenie is a traditional name, the female version of Eugene, which itself is a very old name. It was the name of one of Queen Victoria's granddaughters, who in was named for an empress of France. 

It's unusual now, but not in the way Savannah is, because Savannah is very much a name started in the Americas fairly recently. Eugenie is a name that was once popular but now isn't. 

Archived