IGNORED

Baby Vuolo Is a Girl 2

Coconut Flan

9 hours ago, Percy said:

I could not tolerate coffee while pregnant and became a tea drinker.  I prefer tea to this day, 20 years later.

I also ate a bag of licorice bullets and day with my eldest, she is my junk food addict.  With my second I craved fruit and she is now my fruit addict.  Coincidence?

I like black licorice and have never heard of licorice bullets before, just looked them up and now I need to go find myself some! :pizza: It's lunchtime here.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Subaru Forrester is named Dr. Forrester, after the Mystery Science Theater character.  I swear that I got the car in part just so that I could name him that.  However, I ended up totally loving him all in his own right anyway.

I drive Bart, our Big Ass Red Truck. At just under 5' tall, we had to install "steps" so I could get in to the car without hoisting myself up using the steering wheel and get out of the car without jumping! You should see the look on some guys faces when they see itty bitty little me get out of Bart.

When I was pregnant, Dr pepper and chocolate were out. My daughter likes both. Also couldn't eat McDonald's and she doesn't like them either.

My first sign of pregnancy was getting nauseous at the smell of coffee. Once I got out of the 1st trimester, all bets were off when it came to caffeine and everything else. But, then again, I was pregnant in the dark ages...my last kid was born in 1990

GryffindorDisappointment was also born in 1990. There was NOTHING off-limits then, except roller coasters, booze, and some meds. Baths, coffee, lunch meat, sushi (but I hate it anyway), water slides, amusement parks, etc., were all A-OK.

I've had five cars in my lifetime -- all Hondas--  and have named them all. (I didn't get to name children, so apparently I name cars instead...)

First was Bessie (because everyone has a car named Bessie.)

Next was Delia (because she was fancier than Bessie.)

Then Comet (which was a used gray car that came with a star hanging from the rearview mirror.)

Then Albatross (my first ever "new" new car.) It wasn't an albatross long as it was totaled in a car accident within a year.

Current car is named Kevin Bacon. (Because I was going to buy a gray car and name it Quicksilver, but they only had a blue car in stock.... it's like eight years later now and I still laugh every time I call my car Kevin Bacon... and yes, it has to be the full name every time.)

Yup, this is just one demonstration of how I'm a little weird. :)

I wonder if Jim Bob had a hard time saying Vuolo? I remember he couldn't pronounce Bontrager and any Spanish words were beyond him!

All this talk of Jinger harming her fetus with caffeine reminds me of the episode of How I Met Your Mother where Lilly's OBGYN tells her "just a little bit". Also, maybe she's switched to decaf for the pregnancy? 

Nothing to add here, because I have no vehicle or baby. I like the thread drift about how things went when some of y'all were pregnant and the names of vehicles.

When I was pregnant in 1968 we knew very little, at least I didn't. It has been very interesting to hear everyone's experiences. I would like to know more.

6 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

My Subaru Forrester is named Dr. Forrester, after the Mystery Science Theater character.  I swear that I got the car in part just so that I could name him that.  However, I ended up totally loving him all in his own right anyway.

My dear departed Subaru Outback was named Willow Rosenberg Car. I loved Willow and she me. Until the day in driving rain I hit another car and Willow as no more. I ended up driving my mom's old car saving me having to buy a new one. Her 2000 Subaru Legacy sedan had been sitting in her drive way for over a year. She knew was no longer able to drive, but didn't want to admit it. By giving it to me it gave her a way out without hurting her pride. 

This was in 2009 and mom's car had 17K on it. Not much driving for a nine year old car.  Flash forward to 2018 Car Who is not Named has around 64,000 miles. I want a new one.  I'd prefer a Subaru because I'm so used to the dashboard set up. Baring I'd take a 1975 cherry red Toyota Land Cruiser. It would have to be converted from manual to automatic, but it wold be worth it.

tlc.jpg.2313a6e4aecc595d86ad54c20915dfcb.jpg 

On a side note: One Kid was five at the time a sitting her her car seat singing all happy and cute. Then BLAM. She didn't cry.  The only bit of anxiety she showed was in the ER when the wheeled me off for xrays. The real trauma was candy (RIP). She dropped her box of Dots. So sad. To this very day 9 1/2 years later she STILL reminds me.

We had a Bart too. :pb_lol:  And it was funny to see this little teenage girl jump out from behind the wheel. 

I've never cared for coffee but when I was pregnant with #2 just the smell of coffee made me nauseous. Poor dh had to give it up or buy it else where and make damn sure he's brushed his teeth or had a mint or chewing gum or something because coffee breath was even worse. :my_sick:

Mine were born in 78 and 82. In 78 they said a glass of wine with dinner was fine. The smell of coffee and red meat made me throw up. Both kids heavy coffee drinkers. Our cars are imaginatively named the Highlander and the Prius.

I knew I was immune to toxoplasmosis before I got pregnant, so I was really relieved to have one worry less; then I heard about listeria and went a little overboard in the first weeks of my pregnancy, restricting myself to a rather miserable diet which, together with my morning all-day sickness, really made me hate that first trimester.

Since then, and probably because my gynaecologist has so far been telling me each time that "everything is perfect, you are perfect, baby is perfect", I have managed to relax a little. I do leave out the stuff I have been warned about (unpasteurised dairy, raw meat and fish, raw vegetables and salads in restaurants as I don't trust they have been washed, etc.), coffee because it makes me physically unwell, and medication/drugs/alcohol apart from a tiny sip from my husband's glass of beer or wine every odd week.

I have also taken up cycling to work again after a winter break, albeit carefully, and it is making me feel great! I also go to the sauna every and now and then, but I avoid hut tubs. And my husband is very strict about not letting me carry anything although I unreasonably feel that it wouldn't be a problem. He also does all the housework which, I have to say, is definitely something I am not willing able to do at the moment ;) 

If you are healthy, and your health care provider has confirmed that the pregnancy is going well so far without any particular risks, I believe that every woman should be encouraged to make her own choices regarding nutrition or physical activity. You will know what you feel comfortable with or what you would regret, and your body will tell you if you should cut out something in particular.

My current car is called 'Baas', because he is a Saab (backwards) and it means 'Boss' in Dutch.

My old car was named Frits, a very oldfashioned Dutch name that I secretly really like. If I would ever get a pet, they would also be named Frits. :my_biggrin:

My current car is a Prius. I've named it Baxter as it needed something hipster and a little bit wanky. Baxter fits. It also goes in the B name theme I have with my two best friends. My previous car was Boris the Yaris. My friends have a Bruce and Bandit, so Baxter fit in well with the criteria ;)

No name for the car, but common phrases spoken to it include, "please start, you can make it..., come on....omg I hope this isn't expensive...." Hmm maybe I'll call it Money Pit....

My daughter announced that our new Hyundai I20 would be called Herb.  No idea why, but we had never named our cars before, and I said no way would we call it Herb.  Three years later, Herb is definitely Herb, and it’s much easier than talking about “the Hyundai”.  

Our kids were born in 1996 and 2000.  Honestly the only banned things that I recall were alcohol, soft cheeses and hot baths.  If there were others they mustn’t have been a big sacrifice.  Presumably caffeine was on the list, but I don’t drink tea or coffee, and my Diet Coke habit hadn’t kicked in.  More problematic was beef - we were in England for a month during my first pregnancy, and since it was the height of the Mad Cow time and we were eating in pubs most nights, my only option most nights was vegetarian lasagne*.  I was very over that by the time I got home!

Oh, and @pandora, I cannot believe that you’ve never had bullets!!!  They have been part of my diet for most of my 51 years.  Dark chocolate ones are the best!  I hope you’ve managed to find some :) .

* seriously, it was beef or vegetarian lasagne.  Or fish and chips, and I don’t eat seafood.  Where was the chicken?  

My first car was named Oswald. We called him Ozzy for short.  Or The Gremlin, because a friend's bf at the time said it looked like a gremlin (and I just realized he meant an AMC Gremlin and not like, the movie Gremlins :lol:)

It was 4 years older than me. I got it when I turned 16, and I drove it till I was 20. Around then, my dad and grandpa jointly decided that it wasn't road safe anymore, and they were worried that I would fall through the floorboards on the highway.

Next car was Beverly.

Followed by Beatrix.

After that was Ol' Betsy.

Current car doesn't really have a name, because I find it hard to find enough personality in it to give it a name. I bought it on a crazy whim; secondhand, boyfriend had bent a tie rod on his car and we were supposed to be going to the lake that weekend. And I apparently wanted to go to the lake so bad that I was like, it's fine, we'll take my car that I haven't even bought yet.  Saw it on Sunday and got the idea, went to the bank Wednesday, and bought the car Thursday, just in time to drive out to the lake on Friday after work.

5 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

No name for the car, but common phrases spoken to it include, "please start, you can make it..., come on....omg I hope this isn't expensive...." Hmm maybe I'll call it Money Pit....

Same. I didn’t name the car, but I know it hates working in hot weather and going up steep grades, so I say things to it like, “I appreciate you getting up this hill,” and “Thank you for keeping us safe.” I think that started because I didn’t want to scare my kids by saying things like, “Oh my G*d, there’s no way we’re going to make it, we are going to get rear ended, we are going to roll down this f***ing mountain backwards!”

On 4/24/2018 at 1:02 AM, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

Will Jinger's love of coffee affect the baby?  I didn't drink it when pregnant, I was into milk chocolate. I would think caffeine is a no.  

Seriously? Caffeine is, like many things, okay in moderation. I didn't drink much when I was pregnant because I'd get half a cup in and hello nausea, but a cup or two a day is fine.

Car-wise, my last car was a hand-me-down. No name, but definitely a he. My current Jetta? She. Named Jinx. Because I've gotten more dents, dings, and scratches in a few years than I did with the last one, including two accidents. Most recent feat was losing the plastic cover off the side mirror for no apparent reason.

My car has a name and I thanked her many times for driving me home safely, through snowstorms and heavy raining. Or for not sliding down the hill, when our road was covered ice. And sometimes she is a very proud girl when she managed to overtake a Mercedes or a BMW (she is a vw-polo). Yeah, we are having a good time! I call it her pedicure when we have to switch tires. And sometimes she gets a little wellness in the car wash. Her name is bee, because it feels like flying when we are on the road. :bee:

No need to call any doctors, I swear am not insane. 

We so lovingly refer to our vehicles as the "green car" or "white car".

I avoided caffeine while we were ttc besides the odd cup of decaf. After getting pregnant I was so tired all the time I allowed myself to drink decaf in the 2nd tri along with an occasional soda. I ate sushi (cooked mostly but did have some raw like two times from reputable places). I had given up lunch meat until it was the only thing that sounded good so I gave in a few times (I usually would get it warmed up but towards the end I got less strict) Moderation and common sense is key. 

I have just bought a bike for travelling into University, when the campus moves to my town in September and this drift is making me think of names for it. 

Archived