IGNORED

Michelle Duggar accused by fans of abuse

refugee

19 minutes ago, refugee said:

I don’t know the Duggar forum as I mainly hang out in other areas of FJ, but I ran across this in my news feed this morning. Apologies if it’s already being discussed somewhere. I looked around but didn’t see a discussion.

http://popculture.com/reality-tv/2018/04/21/counting-on-michelle-duggar-accused-abuse-reddit-viral-video/

well yes she probably was scolding Jenni it was only a tiny not to focused video so who really knows and this writer clearly did not do their home work since the whole reason they were in Texas was for Jinger's gender reveal which they would have known if they had just looked at tlc.com so no they are NOT  shunning Jinger. 

This video was already being discussed, perhaps in the Dillard thread. My personal take is that there was no abuse going on. She was berating Jenny in the same nauseating saccharine sweet tone she always uses. Doesn't mean she's not abusive, just that this video is not proof of anything. 

While I do believe Michelle has physically abused her kids, I don't think the video shows abuse. She didn't do anything that plenty of other parent's have done before when their kids have played up, unpleasant to see but not abuse.

In this popculture article it claims that Jinger is having the first girl of her generation. Do Mackynzie and Meredith not exist?

3 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

In this popculture article it claims that Jinger is having the first girl of her generation. Do Mackynzie and Meredith not exist?

they probably mean the first Daughter to have a girl but this article is all over the place like stated above they don't think JB and M saw JInger well in Texas :headdesk:

5 hours ago, refugee said:

I don’t know the Duggar forum as I mainly hang out in other areas of FJ, but I ran across this in my news feed this morning. Apologies if it’s already being discussed somewhere. I looked around but didn’t see a discussion.

http://popculture.com/reality-tv/2018/04/21/counting-on-michelle-duggar-accused-abuse-reddit-viral-video/

Unless I can hear what is being said and the tone of voice I have to withhold judgment

. Didn't the Duggars used to promote the Pearls? That  video doesn't show it, but I"m sure abuse takes place. 

Scolding a child isn't abuse. But turning her over to be raised by a teenaged sistermom at the age of six months and paying scant attention to her for the next ten years is abuse. 

From the whole 5 seconds of video that was seen, it doesn’t seem like abuse.  My mom would do the finger pointing and I’d twist my body to get away, not because scared, but because I was caught misbehaving. In fact, I was actually kinda impressed that Michelle was handling the disciplining and not Jana or one of the other sister moms. 

Oh jeez how does anyone get abuse out of that? The fact that she was cheerful afterwards is the opposite of a red flag for me- her anger was under control. Whenever my parents would "discipline" us it was always out of anger and was never controlled. We were often sent to our rooms just so our parents wouldn't have to look at us(they would actually say they couldnt stand to look at us in the moment) and they themselves could calm down. 

Do the duggars abuse their kids? Absolutely. But this is not proof of that. 

It seemed quite normal to me.  Michelle was actually parenting.  If one of the children gets out of line, shouldn't she try to correct the behavior.  That she flipped to "on camera" is probably second nature to her from years of filming.

Agreed with all of the above. Honestly, to me the only weird part of that moment was that Derick saw Jenni being disciplined and decided to go walk over live-streaming and awkwardly insert himself. 

I love that we, the horrible FJers according to Pickles, can look objectively at the situation. No snark needed here.

On 4/21/2018 at 8:16 PM, JesSky03 said:

Oh jeez how does anyone get abuse out of that? The fact that she was cheerful afterwards is the opposite of a red flag for me- her anger was under control. Whenever my parents would "discipline" us it was always out of anger and was never controlled. We were often sent to our rooms just so our parents wouldn't have to look at us(they would actually say they couldnt stand to look at us in the moment) and they themselves could calm down. 

Do the duggars abuse their kids? Absolutely. But this is not proof of that. 

My aunt was almost always  outwardly cheerful after being unreasonably angry with us. It’s an act. That’s how parents get away with treating kids like garbage for years on end. I don’t think this video is proof of abuse, but her being cheerful in front of a camera isn’t exactly the opposite of a red flag either. 

14 hours ago, Illmarryyoujana said:

My aunt was almost always  outwardly cheerful after being unreasonably angry with us. It’s an act. That’s how parents get away with treating kids like garbage for years on end. I don’t think this video is proof of abuse, but her being cheerful in front of a camera isn’t exactly the opposite of a red flag either. 

Well I guess I still wouldn't call it a red flag though. Obviously we are comparing personal anicdotes and I'm sure there are a wide range of experiences out there. My parents had no problem displaying their anger in front of other people. They weren't afraid to threaten or even carry out corporal punishment with an audience. But it's legal so what could anyone do about it anyway? 

That clip doesn't look like abuse to me. Looks like she was frustrated and scolding Jenni.

I have no doubt in my mind that the Duggars abuse their kids, I just don't think this is really "proof". We all know how they feel about the Pearls, we can just take it from there.

3 hours ago, JesSky03 said:

Well I guess I still wouldn't call it a red flag though. Obviously we are comparing personal anicdotes and I'm sure there are a wide range of experiences out there. My parents had no problem displaying their anger in front of other people. They weren't afraid to threaten or even carry out corporal punishment with an audience. But it's legal so what could anyone do about it anyway? 

I don’t think it’s a red flag, just as I don’t think it’s the opposite of one. My comment only meant to serve as a reminder that parents show their anger and abuse in different ways. And while Michelle wasn’t exactly being abusive in this moment, she’s an abusive mother. Her constant cheeriness hides that though. 

I don't see anything wrong in that video, I'm actually impressed by how 'normal' Michelle and Jenni behave. If anything it just reveals how fake they've always been about how they raise their kids. I'm sure they were strict in the old days, before the spotlight was on them, but there is nothing Pearl-ish about those younger children. Certainly no 'instant obedience' going on in that clip. Wish they would just be honest to the fans who try to emulate them. 

On 4/23/2018 at 4:18 PM, Illmarryyoujana said:

I don’t think it’s a red flag, just as I don’t think it’s the opposite of one. My comment only meant to serve as a reminder that parents show their anger and abuse in different ways. And while Michelle wasn’t exactly being abusive in this moment, she’s an abusive mother. Her constant cheeriness hides that though. 

this.

i wasn't able to watch the video because my phone was being an ass, so i came to fj because i was sure y'all would have the rundown for me. :P and yeah, i would definitely agree with this comment. her flipping the switch doesn't mean that she doesn't express her anger in other ways off camera. i know, another anecdote, but my parents (who were very similar to the duggars while i was growing up) were very non-emotional when dealing with things. and, maybe it was just me, but it felt alienating in a way. like i was the only one with emotions and when i couldn't control them i wasn't validated in any way. and while i'm sure that experiencing a parent's anger directed at them isn't pleasant in any way, experiencing a cold, hard parents disciplining you is equally unpleasant, and not just because you're being disciplined. ugh, i feel like i'm not explaining myself properly, i hope my point is coming across.

tbh, though, i never though michelle's cheery disposition was in any way genuine. i've always sensed something a little "off" about her. something in her eyes that clashes with the smile she puts on.

Finally saw the clip. I found Jenny’s reaction to be more startling. I don’t believe that clip showed abuse, but to me it revealed Jenny’s expectations. 

I also don’t like Derrick filming the family without permission. That was clearly a private moment and I feel embarrassed for Jenny. Idc if they’re public figures or not.

I heard it it was longer than what was reuploaded online. Not sure if that’s true or it would change anything major.

On 4/21/2018 at 6:25 PM, formergothardite said:

. Didn't the Duggars used to promote the Pearls? That  video doesn't show it, but I"m sure abuse takes place. 

I found this I saved it from their website from a while back.33u96dz.thumb.jpg.af4ba736de4fe5d153e23b303fd33ea7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

She’s been accused of abuse as far back as her MOMYS days, long before they had a reality TV show. She learned her Pearl and Enzo techniques would not garner her fans and to hide them but never altered her parenting ideas. If anything the only thing that has mellowed her is the fact she does not do the lion’s share of the hand’s on parenting any longer.

Archived