IGNORED

Sarah Maxwell Blog Postings: Scripture and Scriptorium

Ivycoveredtower

So they went to an event where a church discussed a section of the Bible. Do they think this is uncommon? Every church, regardless of  type of religion, has those nights. At our church, it’s moderated by a priest or a religious scholar. The only difference is that people don’t usually bring small children. Usually they have separate events for the kids so they can speak on a child’s level and make it interesting to them. 

6 minutes ago, socalrules said:

So they went to an event where a church discussed a section of the Bible. Do they think this is uncommon?

Worse, it appears they went to an event where people, including children, memorized a chapter of a book in the Bible and each in turn recited their chapter. 

15 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Worse, it appears they went to an event where people, including children, memorized a chapter of a book in the Bible and each in turn recited their chapter. 

And that actually counts as fun. For Maxhell that is. 

45 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Maybe Sarah, Mary, Anna and Jesse were each hoping to meet someone special at the ol' scriptorium!

What @FloraDoraDolly said. I’m a pretty inching-toward-agnostic UU, but I’d find some in-depth discussion by a theologian, well versed in biblical history, extremely interesting. However, such theologians might bring up things that disagree with the Church of Stevehovah, and we can’t have that!

This is what I really love about FJ. People who have/do religion contribute, and bring their contribution to this forum. While It’s all about the harm that fundamentalism brings to life, some contributors here come from that background, or even that present - and that’s okay. They will be challenged, and they need to be. But for the victims, there seems to me to be a comfort here - even just reading, sometimes, if you can find it. You (not feeling I’ve contributed enough to be ‘we’ yet) do so well.

Also, should mention I’m an atheist, so have no spiritual skin in the game.

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:32 PM, Coconut Flan said:

It sound like kids reciting entire chapters that they've been coerced into memorizing.  That's only fun if you're related to that child and even then I'd have a fake smile after a verse or two.

Reminds me of every kid's dance recital that I attended, even Wychling's.  Plus I had to pay for tickets to every damn one.

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:37 PM, Eternalbluepearl said:

Maybe Sarah, Mary, Anna and Jesse were each hoping to meet someone special at the ol' scriptorium!

Shoot, maybe even Gigi did, too. 

Have we talked about the first photo which is apparently Sarah M. with Susan Keister?

34 minutes ago, erunerune said:

Have we talked about the first photo which is apparently Sarah M. with Susan Keister?

I googled but still no wiser - who is that?

12 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

I googled but still no wiser - who is that?

susaneg.blogspot.com

I hadn’t looked at her blog in a long time. She was part of the golden age of daughter blogging, although I believe she has a university degree in math, so not a SAHD per se. She did sew her own wedding dress, tho, which as we know is de rigueur for OG fundie bride status. She’s in Kansas now!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2018 at 11:17 AM, erunerune said:

susaneg.blogspot.com

I hadn’t looked at her blog in a long time. She was part of the golden age of daughter blogging, although I believe she has a university degree in math, so not a SAHD per se. She did sew her own wedding dress, tho, which as we know is de rigueur for OG fundie bride status. She’s in Kansas now!

Out of curiosity, I peeped her blog, and her most recent post was a very well thought out, detailed, and nuanced post about choosing cochlear implants for her infant daughter.

I was impressed, although it’s the only post I looked at, so it may not be the norm.

@FundiesInParis, as the grandmother of a Deaf, cochlear-implanted little girl, thanks for posting that.  As my son-in-law says. the implants do not make his daughter not deaf.  My granddaughter got her first implant (the right side) just before her second birthday and the left one a few months later.  Her natural language is still sign language.  She'll sign for something before she says the word, eg signing for dog by patting her leg or knee before she says the English word "dog  She's gotten more used to her processors, but has been known to throw them across the room.   My daughter takes then off when she puts her daughter in the car because she knows they'll be taken off anyway along with the shoes and socks.

On 4/19/2018 at 8:50 AM, Coconut Flan said:

I have a huge problem with children being taught to repeat sentences they don't understand. Like pre-schools where 2 year olds are made to recite the Pledge of Allegiance.

Archived