IGNORED

Dillards 56: Running a Marathon but not Working

Coconut Flan

23 minutes ago, Season of life... said:

I'm glad she is pursuing something she loves, but being a midwife is not a hobby. She should understand that ongoing education is a part of the responsibility she takes on when lives are placed in her questionably capable hands. 

Well put.

I'm curious how Jill actually ends up "assisting" with these births, since she doesn't seem to participate with regularity nor does she seem to be undergoing any more formal education. Does Venessa just call her up like "Hey, got a baby on the way, you in or nah?"

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

Goodness, if Jill really put her mind to it and found a group to train with, she could knock that out in three months, easily!  I don't understand why she wouldn't go for it. 

Too "busy" following Derick around. 

If she is helping out as a midwife assistant it could be on the up and up *if* (big if here) she got trained and licensed as a  cna or ma. That's how it is here. CNM has an assistant at births. RN preferred but cna or ma would be considered. Not that I think that's the case here.

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

The Duggars and Bates true believes????

IMO, selling your marriage and family's private moments and anonymity to the public in exchange for easy money is far worse than going to work every day and having to interact with co-workers.

Such bullshit.

They’re  true believers in the sense that their all in to the Gothardite subculture. Even in laws who aren’t personally Gothardite have to be at least “IBLP curious” and not anti-Gothard conservatives Christians like the Wartburg Watch writers. At this point, JB, Michelle, Gil, and Kelly have spent their entire adult lives in ATI. It’s the culture they know and they have no reason to change, especially when they’re treated as celebrities in this small pond. If we examine Gothardism from a Durkheimian perspective (ie religion as culture/moral community) and that of Talal Asad (ie religion as a matrix of practices and power relations) rather than simply from a cognitive (ie belief) one, then there is no contradiction between being a member of IBLP and selling out your children’s lives on TV. Durkheim would say that main things that make a religion (other than a separation of the sacred and the profane) are the cultural aspects, which may or may not have anything to do with ethics. This explains why so many intrareligious fights focus on things that have nothing to do with ethical behavior or a transcendent being, like women’s clothing or same sex marriage. Thus, selling out your children on TV isn’t wrong according to a Durkheiman analysis because it’s more important to spread the Gothard way of life through your joyful counternance than worry about privacy.

Similarly, Asad would say that bodily practices and the power relationships that undergird them are what makes a religion. For Gothardism, this would include things like skirts-only, KJV only, “pilgrimages” to Big Sandy and other conferences, wavy hair on women, the study of Wisdom booklets, etc. The umbrella of protection is itself a perfect example of the power dynamics involved in Gothardite practices. Hence, Asad would say that it shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Duggars and Bateses would exploit their children on TV, because the power relations within Gothardism reduce unmarried children of any age to being the chattel of the parents, and Gothardite practices reinforce these power imbalances. 

It's also kind of weird that she posted a picture of herself with the kid. I'd understand posting a pic of the baby with the parents, but if I gave birth I don't think I'd want my midwife to take a picture of herself with my baby and post it to social media. 

I see them as fundie hippies, i could see Jill in a flowy long tye dye dress, barefoot.

The wedding! Wedding dress and barefoot. Who does that in a church with a formal ceremony?!

55 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

It's also kind of weird that she posted a picture of herself with the kid. I'd understand posting a pic of the baby with the parents, but if I gave birth I don't think I'd want my midwife to take a picture of herself with my baby and post it to social media. 

Venessa has been doing that for years now. Jill was probably following her example. Hopefully she got the parents’ approval first.

Did Jill actually assist with the delivery? For some reason (it may have been something to do with a hashtag -- #laborsitting maybe?) -- that I was under the impression that she was watching the kids for a woman who was in labor. (In which case, bringing Samuel along would be okay, I guess.) I may be misremembering the hashtag and/or be completely off base.

3 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

I think anyone who would allow Jill or Vanessa near them during birth are going to be super kool aid drinkers who would jump at the chance to say that Jill Duggar delivered their baby so If anything the mom probably encouraged her to post the picture. 

2 hours ago, scribble said:

Did Jill actually assist with the delivery? For some reason (it may have been something to do with a hashtag -- #laborsitting maybe?) -- that I was under the impression that she was watching the kids for a woman who was in labor. (In which case, bringing Samuel along would be okay, I guess.) I may be misremembering the hashtag and/or be completely off base.

she was talking about the time that Sam was awake she said that Sam helped her laborsit and then when it came time for the baby to be born Sam was asleep. 

16 hours ago, patsymae said:

I can't imagine that would even occur to her. As others have pointed out, even though Jill did do some work to achieve her certification or whatever it is, which is to her credit, she has no frame of reference for working hard to overcome setbacks--somebody gets in your way, they're persecuting you. They don't accept "outsiders'" standards--that's why Jana is a concert pianist and Josh was a graphic designer after putting something together with Word fonts. Her family, and then she and her fuckwad husband, considered themselves missionaries even after their own organization told them they weren't qualified, and they still think that handing out tracts and lecturing people about Jesus makes them qualified missionaries. There's a name for the syndrome--i'm too lazy to look it up--that the less qualified you are at something, the higher you rate yourself, because you lack the critical thinking skills to measure your own performance. That's Jillymuffin in a nutshell.
It also makes me wonder about Dickhead and his own "education"--Pistol Pete is no John Kennedy, but maybe because of his family he went to school as a legacy and got by on Gentleman's Cs? That might explain how he managed to get a real degree in a rigorous field yet not be able to, or interested in, or even think of it as a possibility, to do supervised work for a sustained period of time in order to achieve a goal.

OK, i'm rambling.

You're thinking of the "Dunning-Kruger effect" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

To quote Wikipedia, it "is a cognitive bias wherein people of low ability have illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their cognitive ability as greater than it is. The cognitive bias of illusory superiority derives from the metacognitive inability of low-ability persons to recognize their own ineptitude; without the self-awareness of metacognition, low-ability people cannot objectively evaluate their actual competence or incompetence."

And the flip side of DK: "Conversely, highly competent individuals may erroneously assume that tasks easy for them to perform are also easy for other people to perform, or that other people will have a similar understanding of subjects that they themselves are well-versed in."

Perhaps Jill was just a gopher during labor, fetching things holding momas hand getting water, wash clothes stuff like that. That would be the ONLY way I'd let Jill near me or anyone I know during labor. 

2 hours ago, metheglyn said:

And the flip side of DK: "Conversely, highly competent individuals may erroneously assume that tasks easy for them to perform are also easy for other people to perform, or that other people will have a similar understanding of subjects that they themselves are well-versed in."

An explanation of why I didn't understand why things I found easy other people found hard! 

I guess I think of Jill assisting makes me want to scream. How stupid can she be? Legally, she is screwed if something happens to a baby she is helping deliver. What does she think will happen if a baby dies because she doesn’t recognize the baby is in distress or does something wrong. The authorities can come after her for being unlicensed and practicing medicine. I don’t understand why people don’t think these things through. If a baby dies on her watch, depending on the state, she could be in a world of hurt. 

3 hours ago, feministxtian said:

An explanation of why I didn't understand why things I found easy other people found hard! 

Exactly! And it contributes to Imposter Syndrome, where you can't figure out why *you* are the person chosen (and often getting paid) to do something, when everyone must surely be better qualified...but in reality no one else knows how to do it, or can do it as well as you!

14 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

Exactly! And it contributes to Imposter Syndrome, where you can't figure out why *you* are the person chosen (and often getting paid) to do something, when everyone must surely be better qualified...but in reality no one else knows how to do it, or can do it as well as you!

And that's why I spent 18 months on a project...basically working solo. 

So Derick re-tweeted this extremely offensive tweet today. I'd like to let him know that he supports an administration that celebrates: Adultery; Domestic Violence;  Greed; Treason; Sexual assault. Sadly it would be a waste of my time. Cognitive dissonance runs deep with that twerp

Well Derick and that Desiring God Twitter account can fuck right off.

dWRECK, tell me again how that time you were trying to get LGBT youth to your church how it wasn't a trap?

IIRC it was Joyce Meyer who said, "If you have to tell someone you're a Christian, you're doing something wrong."

#actionsspeaklouderthanwords

I really, really hope that Izzy and Sam won't be gay. Poor kids, I don't want to think about the pray-away-the-gay camps they would be send to if that was the case. I will never understand how love can be seen as a sin. And I also don't understand why, if people believe that that is what their God says, that does not make them feel upset. And maybe even question their beliefs.

Desiring God is a John Piper ministry. I mentioned this on the Seewald thread as well. John Piper and his "band of merry men" are toxic. They make my stomach turn as much as any other. 

12 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

So Derick re-tweeted this extremely offensive tweet today. I'd like to let him know that he supports an administration that celebrates: Adultery; Domestic Violence;  Greed; Treason; Sexual assault. Sadly it would be a waste of my time. Cognitive dissonance runs deep with that twerp

Forgot some of the other lovely attributes of this current administration: racism, white supremacy, antisemitism, misogyny.  

• Jellybean locked this topic
  • Jellybean unlocked and locked this topic

Archived