IGNORED

Chelsy and John Maxwell 4: Will She Blog Post the Honeymoon

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, nomoxian said:

Of course she won't tell you what Wholesome Christian Books she used. You have to buy her books to find that out! Whole lotta nothing here and here.

I did find some pictures of books the kids used: Arithmetic 1 and Gods Gift of Language C

The Lanugage book is an Abeka text. According to Wiki "Abeka takes Biblical literalist and young Earth creationist positions in its science curriculum, teaching the Genesis creation narrative as a literal and factual account confirmed by sound natural science."

The textbooks with Nathan look like either Abeka or Bob Jones. In one of the articles they say they use Rod and Staff for literature because they had the least amount of "silly" stories that included things like playing sports. 

Terri said they didn't use textbooks until Sarah was in highschool and Nathan and Christopher complained that they didn't get to use them. But the pictures show that they did use them with the Nathan and Christopher. She made it seem like she put huge amounts of effort into teaching with unit studies only. 

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it was said somewhere that Melanie uses A Beka for her kids. I'm guessing Chris and NR-Anna will be doing similar. Not so sure about Joseph and Elissa, or John and Chelsy. John&Chelsy may use more of a mixture; I have no idea what the Bontragers used to homeschool.

49 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

I think it was said somewhere that Melanie uses A Beka for her kids. I'm guessing Chris and NR-Anna will be doing similar. Not so sure about Joseph and Elissa, or John and Chelsy. John&Chelsy may use more of a mixture; I have no idea what the Bontragers used to homeschool.

I looked around the Bontrager blog to see if they ever mention it. If anyone ever gets bored, there are a lot of posts starting in 2007 even before the youngest was born. I saw some Duggar visits and a trip to big Sandy. But I also noticed that Chelsy and Allison wear shorts and a t shirt instead of swim skirts or swim dresses. And those don’t even look like trunks. Just regular shorts. I would rather wear trunks. They dry faster. 

C7379E77-E85C-4A95-B2E9-9CDC17C253D3.png

Please either crop your photos or charge your phone!  I can't deal with screenshots showing 19% battery :(

Christian textbooks will give some general information about false religions in history books, but we have found it is easy to edit, with white-out, what is unacceptable for the children to know at their age. We feel it is appropriate for them to read that the Egyptians worshipped false gods but not that they know names and details of those religious practices

Wow the Maxparents are extremely fearful.

Also, those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.  And it's not like not knowing the names of Egyptian gods prevents Maxwells from worshipping Pepsi, coffee, scheduling, photography, hiking, Steve, etc.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:27 AM, freethemall said:

And write passive aggressive posts on the blog or their articles, mentioning tragedy and death!

What else do they know about??

14 hours ago, punkiepie said:

how the fuck can you be a help if you can never say anything of use to him for fear of usurping his authority? 

You can't be a help, just a doormat.

On 5/11/2018 at 9:27 AM, Palimpsest said:

I need to swig down some Pepsi and read the Left Behind series as fast as I can.  

In my experience you will need something in that Pepsi in order to get through any page, chapter, or book from this series.

As a teacher, I just can't with these fundies home "schooling" "curriculums" and methods.

Steve's ego must be incredibly fragile if he can't handle his wife correcting even minor mistakes of his in front of others, or can't handle being reminded about tasks, or asked innocent quett.

I mean, we know that, but those examples just drive it home. 

10 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

Please either crop your photos or charge your phone!  I can't deal with screenshots showing 19% battery :(

:huh:

When home schooled I learned the most from switched on school house. It was a computer software. They had a video of a teacher teaching then you answered questions. I would have hated my life if I was home schooled like the maxwells. 

I wonder if anyone in the Maxwell family will send their kids out for school?

43 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Steve's ego must be incredibly fragile if he can't handle his wife correcting even minor mistakes of his in front of others, or can't handle being reminded about tasks, or asked innocent quett.

I mean, we know that, but those examples just drive it home. 

:huh:

Some people can’t handle seeing a low phone battery. It’s like how some people can’t even get to a quarter tank of gas before going to fill it up again. It’s just a thing that bothers some people. It’s never bothered me obviously. I also let my gas go all the way to E before I fill up. 

I live on the edge :pb_lol:

6 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Some people can’t handle seeing a low phone battery. It’s like how some people can’t even get to a quarter tank of gas before going to fill it up again. It’s just a thing that bothers some people. It’s never bothered me obviously. I also let my gas go all the way to E before I fill up. 

I live on the edge :pb_lol:

I had a friend who didn't like it if she used more than 30% of her DVR space on her Directv account.  70% still available, but she'd scroll through and delete a recording or two until she was back to less than 30% used.  I sure miss her and her quirkiness.  

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I don't just go to E, I wait for the Low Fuel light to go on and then wait for the chime that says I've got maybe a gallon of gas left! I don't know what my problem is other than I HATE pumping gas. My husband is the one who starts panicking when it gets to 1/4 tank. 

Hubs is also squirrely about the phone battery. If it hits 50% he has to plug it in RIGHT NOW! Mine? 5% when the screen darkens. 

It's just a thing...different strokes for different folks. 

I’m actually beginning to worry that she’s not going to finish the wedding blog posts. I sure hope she and John are just too busy having fun and not that John has given in to Steve’s guilt trips and said not to blog anymore. 

45 minutes ago, Odd1Out said:

I’m actually beginning to worry that she’s not going to finish the wedding blog posts. I sure hope she and John are just too busy having fun and not that John has given in to Steve’s guilt trips and said not to blog anymore. 

Maybe the morning sickness has hit her hard and she doesn’t have the energy to write. I’m always shocked by the fundies who have to deal with bad morning sickness and HG and go into have many more pregnancies. 

On 5/11/2018 at 7:57 PM, punkiepie said:

I also read many an article about Teri’s perpetual quest to become more meek and quiet and not pester Steve with sinful questions like, “who was that on the phone?” and “what did they want?”  She prayed that God would satisfy her curiosity in how he saw fit and if God wanted Steve to tell her, God would put it on Steve's heart to be more forthcoming with his wife.

Good grief!  First Teri wants God to tell Steve to call for pizza delivery, then she wants God to tell Steve to tell her who telephoned.

Teri, God isn't your damn administrative assistant for crying out loud!

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Maybe the morning sickness has hit her hard and she doesn’t have the energy to write. I’m always shocked by the fundies who have to deal with bad morning sickness and HG and go into have many more pregnancies. 

I know right? One of my friends had HG plus migraine plus gestational hypertension (not quite to preeclampsia levels) in all of her four pregnancies. I was like... "yeah I'd have been done after the second one, when it wasn't just a first time thing."

I have to fill my tank when it is half empty.  I had that drilled into my head when I was young.  Half empty means the tank is empty!  The reasoning is if I get stuck on the highway, have to make an emergency trip to the city I will always have enough in the tank.

I get the willies when I am with my one friend she drives until the light comes on.  Shudder.

1 hour ago, jiggleromp said:

I have to fill my tank when it is half empty.  I had that drilled into my head when I was young.  Half empty means the tank is empty!  The reasoning is if I get stuck on the highway, have to make an emergency trip to the city I will always have enough in the tank.

I get the willies when I am with my one friend she drives until the light comes on.  Shudder.

Around here, you're never more than a mile from a gas station if you're on the surface streets. Even if you're on the freeway, there's exits every mile or so and a gas station is nearby. I just looked and between my house and where I used to work (about 5 miles) there are at least 14 gas stations. 

4 hours ago, jiggleromp said:

The reason I try to fill my tank before it is too low is to protect my fuel pump. When my fuel pump burned out and I had to get a new one ($$$$), the mechanics told me that running really low on gas makes the pump work extra hard and it will need replaced sooner. I read something similar in AAA magazine. I try really hard not to go below a quarter of a tank. 

Right now my phone is at 69%. I've yet to hear any reason why it's bad for a phone to have a low battery, so I'll push mine to really low percentages. :evil-laugh:

16 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

I wonder if anyone in the Maxwell family will send their kids out for school?

I think it's impossible. Maxwell family business is all about homeschooling. This, and avoiding fun, are the main points of their family life. I think none of their children will send kids to school, because it would lead to a family breakdown. I can picture Joseph kids attending an ultra fundie college though.

13 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Hubs is also squirrely about the phone battery. If it hits 50% he has to plug it in RIGHT NOW! Mine? 5% when the screen darkens. 

It's just a thing...different strokes for different folks. 

Thank you for teaching me that phone screens can be altered to darken at less than the 20% that mine was auto set at. Now I can live on the edge too.  I hate the way the screen dimmed when there was still ages to go until I needed to plug in! :my_biggrin:

11 hours ago, Odd1Out said:

I have followed Chelsy for a long time before she became a Maxwell and IIRC she was always sporadic in her personal blog posts.  Although she posted regularly as secretary on the Bontrager blog. I was wondering if she lost momentum after the two families posted the main wedding day photos. I hope she keeps blogging.

I think it is very normal in her family for different parts of the family to hold different beliefs and still have close relationships. I remember her writing about head-covering once and explaining why she is right and the others are wrong.  :D Presumably the mennonite side are equally convinced of their own beliefs, but neither side lets it get too much  in the way of being a close family.  The Maxwells seem to avoid contact with people who are very different from them, so Chelsy will probably be blowing their minds with her chatter. 

3 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I think it's impossible. Maxwell family business is all about homeschooling. This, and avoiding fun, are the main points of their family life. I think none of their children will send kids to school, because it would lead to a family breakdown. I can picture Joseph kids attending an ultra fundie college though.

What about Chelsy and John? I could maybe see them doing it if any. John was a rebel and Chelsy is super social.

I think John and Chelsy will almost certainly join a proper church and have a wide social circle, but I don't think they will send their children to public school.  Chelsy has super strong ideas about everything Christian-related. Also, I don't think she has very strong interest in formal education.  The Bontragers seem to just fit school in around the edges of their farming, travelling and home life. I doubt Chelsy will want to settle and spend term-time near a bricks and mortar school, when she has grown up driving a bus around the country for 6 months of every year. I think she will persuade John to get some sort of bus to travel around in as soon as they have more than 2 kids.

3 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

What about Chelsy and John? I could maybe see them doing it if any. John was a rebel and Chelsy is super social.

I think John amd Chelsy are ultrafundie and not interested in education. Moreover, Bontragers don't encourage real college (their graduate son studied just online courses, I think). 

There is something on Joseph's privacy and changes after his wedding that make me have a bit of hope for his children. And because of his job, he is the Maxwell who may be realising that a good education helps. By any means I think he'll send kids to school, but a co-op or a college for his son, wouldn't surprise me.

Also I thin that John was a rebel because the way of life his parents had, not because their ideology. He looks comfortable in Bontrager Fundie Brand: hateful beliefs mixed with outdoors activity, fun, plenty of food and physical contact between people. He has no reasons to rebel now and no reasons to leave fundiedom.

7 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

There is something on Joseph's privacy and changes after his wedding that make me have a bit of hope for his children. And because of his job, he is the Maxwell who may be realising that a good education helps.

Elissa had a more mainstream upbringing than Chelsy too.  All that 4 H fun may have broadened her mind.  Joseph is also the one who started and is president of Swift Otter.

15 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Maybe the morning sickness has hit her hard and she doesn’t have the energy to write. 

What morning sickness?  I totally missed where Chelsy announced her pregnancy.

Or is this just idle speculation?  If so, please don't state it as fact.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived