IGNORED

The John Oliver Appreciation Thread

Destiny

@legalbeagle, I abase myself before your magnificence. The very existence of graphics comparing Dr. Evil with the plaintiff is *chef’s kiss*!

• Upvote 2

I fell for John Oliver when he took over for John Stewart on the Daily Show, while they were off filming the movie they did. Before that I was not that fussed, but he sold the show and I think he would have taken over for Stewart, if HBO hadn't knocked first. I admit I am happier he and Samantha Bee, took off in their own directions instead though, because the 3 shows, including Daily Shows have all headed in really good directions to tackle topics that were previously ignored, and done some very good work. I agree with Sainthood for John Oliver and can Samantha Bee get a special nod too? Maybe a Damehood?

Pointless note, my avatar is from the Rally the Daily Show did LOL Oh the days when we had time to protest for Sanity.

Edited by tankgirl
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

@Hane - to be clear, I am not the attorney who wrote this brief! If only! But the pics of Bob Murray and Dr. Evil with the footnote that truth is an absolute defense to defamation are just utter legal brilliance. 

@CTRLZero Also, yes, the lawsuit was dismissed. And then Bob Murray decided to send an ex parte letter to the judge letting him know how his fee fees were hurt by the judge's dismissal of the case, because do you know people now email him saying things like, "Consume defecation, Bob"?!?! The judge then said, "Haha, hey bro, you're not allowed to just email me without cc'ing the defendants," and forwarded Bob's letter to them. http://acluwv.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Unserved-Letter-by-Murray-Docketed-by-Court-Watermarked.pdf

I can only speculate how Bob Murray's lawyer must feel about this. 

I, however, find it utterly delightful. :laughing-rofl:

Edited by legalbeagle
tagging another person who asked about the status of the lawsuit
  • Upvote 9
  • Haha 6
  • Love 4

[mention=19426]legalbeagle[/mention] - Thank you, thank you!  Is the case still active, or was it dismissed after the judges and clerks stopped laughing?

“[A]fter the live taping, Defendant Oliver exclaimed to the audience that having someone in a squirrel costume tell Bob Murray to ‘Eat Shit’ was a ‘dream come true.’”3

Footnote 3 - Everyone is allowed to dream.

It is not. It was dismissed a few weeks ago as I understand it. He said something about it on the show in February, but with no details as it wasn’t quite a done deal yet.

I have read that amicus brief a number of times I should probably be ashamed of (but am totally not).

• Upvote 3

I love John Oliver! I don't remember him much on the daily Show but I used to listen to the bugle when he was on there and found him hilarious

• Upvote 1

I love John Oliver! I don't remember him much on the daily Show but I used to listen to the bugle when he was on there and found him hilarious

That’s where I fell in love with him. I was never much of a daily show girl. I was team Colbert Report. I’m still in mourning over that particular loss.

The Bugle just isn’t the same without John.

• Upvote 1

@ElToro, your story reminds me of a perfectly nice yet nondescript guy I went to school with. Fast forward 48 years after graduation, and he’s now one of the top country music songwriters in the US, and is fabulously wealthy. (He once told our local paper how much one of his English teachers had inspired him—she confided in me that she had absolutely no recollection of him.)

@legalbeagle , no, I didn’t think you’d written that brief, but you do deserve copious praise for sharing it with us!

• Upvote 8

@Hane that's exactly it. He was a nice guy, but not very exciting and he just wasn't right for my mate. She was (and is) a cosmopolitan and interesting woman .... I only hang out with interesting people - which is why I'm on here with all the FJers! :my_biggrin: (My Duggar fixation is a weird anomaly!)

Back to John- I really enjoy watching his show as a fan. Somehow my brain doesn't connect the John I knew back then, with the TV funny guy John today. Although he literally looks exactly the same... 

• Upvote 4

23 hours ago, Destiny said:

Fun fact: I was still moderately fundie-lite and Republican when I started on FJ back in 2005. FJ has changed my way of thinking in so many ways, and FJ can be an educational and life changing place if you take the time to listen. It’s one of the reasons I put up with the occasional bullshit and drama, and nights like last week where I was up all night with the downtime.

I once had a secret potty mouth too, but it’s out and proud now. Embrace those fucks. default_smile.png

Me too or me three, I think that quite a few of us were and reading this site sure opened my eyes. It made me think, something I was not doing much of, and opened my eyes.  But I don't have too much of a potty mouth, however I do not mind if others do!

• Love 6

OT again: @ElToro—Another one I forgot:  The mother of one of my daughter’s high school friends told us about the clingy, nerdy boyfriend she broke up with as a teenager. Clingy nerdy boyfriend grew up to be Michael Bolton. 

• Haha 7

I have one of those stories. I lived in a nerdy quiet dorm on the same floor with a dorky guy (who had an unrequited crush on my roommate). Twenty years later he’s in a hit cable show and was nominated for awards this last season. It’s crazy.

• Upvote 3

At this point, I will take "sweet but nondescript" over "harasser/abuser/rapist."  John Oliver is on my list of celebrities that I hope never get involved in a scandal.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 5

I was watching John Oliver with my mum (like me, a Brit-Aussie) and she can't get over how much he reminds her of Ben Elton - especially the somewhat shouty/ranty delivery. 

I just hope he doesn't burn out and end up writing increasingly shitty TV shows like Elton did.

• Upvote 3

Just popping in here to say: I never really got into 'Last Week Tonight' before, but after I saw this thread yesterday I've been watching episode after episode on YouTube, and now I'm a die-hard John Oliver fan. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 5

Last night’s episode was mostly about the Iran nuclear deal, and includes the Catheter Cowboy, back to teach the Orange Menace things he should already know.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Thank you! I haven’t been at a real computer yet today, and didn’t have the link. It was an interesting segment with stuff I didn’t know about the Iran deal.

• Upvote 3

I totally missed this thread!

So I’m just popping in to say that I love John Oliver as well!!! 

I discovered him on YouTube last year and watched every episode multiple times, I can’t get enough. So I’m all for Saint John!

• Upvote 2

Hear, hear! Count me in for canonizing John Oliver. Our whole family watches the show together -- even the oddball quasi-Republican child. The Catheter Cowboy is my favorite!

Edited by Pandora Spocks
Edited for riffles
  • Upvote 1

I've had a semi-crappy day, so I'm totally sitting here and watching my beloved John explain things to me. I love him so much, and he never fails to make me smile. 

• Upvote 4

• 3 months later...

I am saving it for a i finished my work for the day treat.  I’m gonna try to watch it today. It looks like great one!

• Upvote 2