IGNORED

Maxhell Devotes A Whole Blog Post to Coffee

Dark Matters

3 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

I don't like the drinks as listed. Sorry that you feel the need to judge people's lives on their coffee. 

Sorry I hit a nerve. I wasn't judging. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, scoutsadie said:

My hometown has a Maxwell House factory - the city smells SO GOOD around 10 am and 5 pm!  (Have always wondered why those particular hours...)

There was a Farmer Brothers coffee plant about 4 miles from home. You'd drive in the area and it always smelled like fresh coffee. They also sold out of the front because Farmers Brothers was a restaurant brand rather than a store brand. Best thing in the LA Strip. 

4 hours ago, scoutsadie said:

My hometown has a Maxwell House factory - the city smells SO GOOD around 10 am and 5 pm!  (Have always wondered why those particular hours...)

i work near a cereal factory.  when the wind blows in the right direction, it smells like cookies in the parking lot.

On 4/10/2018 at 9:58 PM, AliceInFundyland said:

This. Haha. I’ve done the cellphone gig (refilling minutes). There are few things less stifling than having the same conversation for eight hours straight. You have to stick to the script so precisely. You have no power to help people beyond your set task. You have to process them in a set time. It is awful.

I currently work in a call center where I screen elderly and disabled people for assistance with Medicare. I say the same script so often that I can now recite the entire thing without the computer. I love my job because I get to assist people on fixed incomes, but after saying the same thing for eight hours, I. Am. Done. by the end!

2 minutes ago, spork78 said:

I currently work in a call center where I screen elderly and disabled people for assistance with Medicare. I say the same script so often that I can now recite the entire thing without the computer. I love my job because I get to assist people on fixed incomes, but after saying the same thing for eight hours, I. Am. Done. by the end!

That does sound more rewarding. I did several call center jobs over the years (mostly market research). I never made it more than 9 months at a stretch. I do like customer service, and helping people.  But meeting those metrics, ugh. It’s made me much more patient in phone queues though.

20 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

That does sound more rewarding. I did several call center jobs over the years (mostly market research). I never made it more than 9 months at a stretch. I do like customer service, and helping people.  But meeting those metrics, ugh. It’s made me much more patient in phone queues though.

I'm impressed. I think I lasted 2 weeks selling Time-Life books over the phone. And this was before Starbucks, so no opportunity ever to step out for a few minutes and have someone fix me a fancy coffee (which would have eaten up my meager commission for the shift anyway)

On 4/11/2018 at 3:20 PM, scoutsadie said:

On 4/11/2018 at 7:41 PM, catlady said:

i work near a cereal factory.  when the wind blows in the right direction, it smells like cookies in the parking lot.

The neighborhood where I lived for 8 years had a bread factory, a tortilla factory, and a coffee roastery nearby.  The wind usually blew the wrong way to smell the coffee, but I sometimes miss the baking smells. 

On 4/10/2018 at 1:52 AM, OhNoNike said:

Oh man- and then there’s long tons, short tons, tonnes...

I grew up in America, the first born child here from British parents :).  I had to do a lot of translating in my head from language to language (pants vs underwear, for example).  I was in my early 30s when I referred to a “hose pipe” and my husband cracked on me big time and said “what?!  It’s juts a HOSE”.

They lived in Canada between England and the US and mom said she’d just gotten used to calling guttering “eavestroughs” there, only to come to the US and find out it’s gutters here too.

They call it a hose pipe in the southern US states. 

Eavestroughs sounds ridiculously posh/fancy to me :pb_lol: 

“Hobson, have you cleaned out the eavestroughs yet?” asked Lady Plexina Jillington.

”Not yet, my lady. Have you sold much Plexus lately?”

”Oh yes, Hobson. I didn’t rename myself Plexina for nothing. Love the stuff. Now get cleaning the eavestroughs; I’m off to buy some hairspray and green eyeliner.”

I have no idea where the fuck that came from. Sometimes I just get an idea and run with it.... :shifty:

On 4/11/2018 at 3:32 PM, Dark Matters said:

Maybe that's when they roast the coffee beans?

Mom daughter lives very close to a coffee roasting business- the smell is heavenly!

On 4/13/2018 at 6:13 PM, Anonymousguest said:

They call it a hose pipe in the southern US states. 

Some folks might, but I grew up in the South and never heard that term used.

I drive past a bread factory on the way to work and it smells amazing.

I am an American who is not against metric. It makes more sense and I like recipes that use weight instead of volume for ingredients. But I'm not in charge of anything, least of all road signs and cookbooks. I think we should just rip the bandaid off. It would be hard for a little bit but we'd figure out what 35 mph equals in km.

Also please explain how bagged milk is displayed in the store, Canada. Is it just stacked on top of each other laying down? Or does the bottom puff out a bit so that it can stand up?

1 hour ago, scoutsadie said:

Some folks might, but I grew up in the South and never heard that term used.

@scoutsadie, the term "hosepipe" for a hose maybe a little obsolete.  I know I used to hear it when I was a kid, but I've not heard it in years.  I think if to be rather like the term "tow sack" for burlap bag which I've not heard in years either.  Tow sack might refer specifically to the huge burlap bags that cotton would go in when you picked it, but it came to be used for burlap bags in general. 

I had to laugh when Sarah included a picture of the the "clever" and "inviting" coffee station at John and Chelsy's reception on her blog post.

Now don't tell me this family hasn't made an idol of coffee.  I guess getting up before dawn every day to read the same damn bible verses will do that to a person.

We usually use the term “hose” in Britain (at least my family do, and it’s not a very frequently used word) but news broadcasts will refer to a “hosepipe” ban when necessary.

15 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Bagged milk.

bagged milk.jpg

Just to clarify because bagged milk seems to astonish people. There are 3 individual bags of milk inside the big bag. We all have a jug designed to hold the milk upright. I bought a stainless steel jug last year and love it. The milk stays colder longer at the table.

Where I'm from in NC, lots of people say hose pipe. The members of the RV camping club my parents belong to actually gave one as a gift to the "northerners" who were visiting (representing the company that makes the campers) because there had been a discussion that they didn't know what a "hose pipe" was. They were thankful for the gift (you need those for an RV!) and also told us they really loved coming to our rallies and looked forward to the big breakfast the men made on Sunday morning, once they'd figured out how they preferred their grits.

I grew up in the south and lived there many years as an adult and never heard the term except on British TV.  I always thought it was a British expression.  Who knew?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2018 at 5:20 PM, scoutsadie said:

...And I arrived in said town right around 10 am a week ago, but didn't realize the time until I smelled the Maxwell House factory!

On 4/10/2018 at 1:41 PM, scoutsadie said:

Sarah's sub-par writing skills strike again...

Screenshot_20180410-163854.png

No mention of how "pour[ing] milk into the frother" helps you make the most of your time...must be a form of Teri's "multi-mulitasking."

Those damn SOTDRT moments! This one killed me: "The price has gone up about 20% since I bought!" That transitive verb requires an object. What did you buy, Sarah? Clarify!  Doesn't it seem weird to her to not mention what she bought? It's (almost)* always so jarring to see fundie writing. 

*There are some exceptions, like Jasmine Bauchman, Cynthia Jeub, and others, but the vast majority are shocking in very negative ways.

Archived