IGNORED

Maxhell Devotes A Whole Blog Post to Coffee

Dark Matters

To me, as a Brit, it seems weird when people give oz as liquid measurements (hopefully that makes sense), she says it makes a 16oz mocha. In Britain, oz refers purely to weight (as in the weight of IDK a cake). I know you can get fluid ounces, but usually liquid measurements are in millilitres/litres. (Or pints if you’re in a pub). We tend to use imperial units when it comes to human weight, long distances and height. 

I just googled... apparently US fluid ounces are DIFFERENT to British ones. 

Plus you use cups in recipes (eg 2 cups flour) and we use grams. So sometimes when I google a recipe I end up on an American site talking about cups etc and I’m just like :huh:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

To me, as a Brit, it seems weird when people give oz as liquid measurements (hopefully that makes sense), she says it makes a 16oz mocha. In Britain, oz refers purely to weight (as in the weight of IDK a cake). I know you can get fluid ounces, but usually liquid measurements are in millilitres/litres. (Or pints if you’re in a pub). We tend to use imperial units when it comes to human weight, long distances and height. 

Plus you use cups in recipes (eg 2 cups flour) and we use grams. So sometimes when I google a recipe I end up on an American site talking about cups etc and I’m just like :huh:

Yup. A few pubs in the US and Canada serve their draft beer in imperial pints.

And I personally go looking for recipes that use weight rather than volume. So much easier to weigh an ingredient, zero out the scale, add the next ingredient. And my baking results are so much more consistent, especially when I'm baking something gluten-free for a friend. Different starches and flours can have vastly different weights for the same volume.

3 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Oh man- and then there’s long tons, short tons, tonnes...

I grew up in America, the first born child here from British parents :).  I had to do a lot of translating in my head from language to language (pants vs underwear, for example).  I was in my early 30s when I referred to a “hose pipe” and my husband cracked on me big time and said “what?!  It’s juts a HOSE”.

They lived in Canada between England and the US and mom said she’d just gotten used to calling guttering “eavestroughs” there, only to come to the US and find out it’s gutters here too.

I'm surprised they drink coffee or caffinated beverages at all. They are the tepid water of fundie families.

9 hours ago, SPHASH said:

I never could develop a taste for coffee.  If I go with a friend to a coffee shop I order a hot chocolate.

Just the smell of coffee gives me a headache. I've never understood the coffee worship. To each their own I guess. I don't like a surprising number of the things I see portrayed as American's obsessions and I'm American. I don't like dogs, coffee, pizza, alcohol, shopping, or most chocolate. I know...I'm not from this planet. :pb_lol:

Let’s not even mention rubbers/erasers... :pb_lol:

I don’t just have one sweet tooth, I have a whole mouth full of them... I’m not a fan of the coffee taste. I had a gingerbread latte once... the tinge of bitterness wasn’t nice. But then I may end up liking it in the future. I’d never have it plain black, though.

I love the smell of coffee brewing, but don't like the taste of it.  I'm a tea person.

No one is going to take Sarah's coffee away from her.  It keeps her in the house. 

I am pretty convinced (as much as one can be having never met the man) that Steve won't declare coffee to be a Maxwell "idol" because he enjoys it himself.

As for my tastes, I prefer cream or half&half in my coffee...and find that coffee always smells better (delightful) than it tastes, unadulterated. Have been drinking more of it in the past few years, for drug purposes; and found a hazelnut-coconut flavored coffee (unsweetened) that I love. But I'm also a tea lover, and have recently fallen in love with Harney & Sons' Victorian London Fog: an Earl Grey with vanilla and lavender. :my_heart:

Oh, I'm sure it is only because he enjoys it too - It's ok if he likes something - but if it's not something he cares much about - it's pretty convenient to label it an idol and banish it from Chez Maxhell.

I take medium roast coffee with just cream.  No flavors, no sugar, and definitely not black.  I don't get the coffee shop ordering.  How do people know just how they like their coffee?  How do baristas keep it all straight?  Huge mystery for me.

I assume she actually has a mocha once a month- Unless they really eat next to nothing, consuming even 1 of those drinks a day would cause weight gain, even with the exercise.

8 hours ago, OhNoNike said:

Oh man- and then there’s long tons, short tons, tonnes...

And don’t forget about Crap Ton. :-)

56 minutes ago, Odd1Out said:

And don’t forget about Crap Ton. :-)

and metric fuck ton

Sarah's sub-par writing skills strike again...

Screenshot_20180410-163854.png

No mention of how "pour[ing] milk into the frother" helps you make the most of your time...must be a form of Teri's "multi-mulitasking."

when i read the bit about "making the most of your time," i figured she was just finding an excuse not to dust the ceiling fan.

@Black Aliss,  I wish US cookbooks would get with the program and start using weights for dry ingredients or, hell just use metric for everything.  You maybe don't see it as much as you used to, but there was/is all this crap about measure after sifting.  The weight you need to use in a recipe is still the same; it's just more volume if it's sifted before weighing.  Julia Child did have charts in many of her cookbooks comparing sifted flour and flour scooped and leveled from the canister.  it's very helpful.

I bought British Baking by Peyton and Byrne last year at 2nd and Charles in Asheville last year and everything is metric in it.  I love it!

10 hours ago, Bajovane said:

I don't get the coffee shop ordering.  How do people know just how they like their coffee?  How do baristas keep it all straight?  Huge mystery for me.

It's not about the [overpriced] coffee. It's about having, for a few minutes in the day, the pleasure of ordering someone to make something special for you. The longer the list of ingredients, specification of temperature, and the amount of foam the person in front of me orders, the less authority I figure that person has during the rest of the day. 

X: "Tall mocha, two shots--one caff, one decaf--2% milk extra hot, no foam, 1 pump chocolate, 1/2 pump peppermint syrup, 1 packet sweet n low, oh, and extra whipped cream."

Me: Bets she spends her workday answering a customer support telephone hotline for a cell phone company.

1 hour ago, Black Aliss said:

It's not about the [overpriced] coffee. It's about having, for a few minutes in the day, the pleasure of ordering someone to make something special for you. The longer the list of ingredients, specification of temperature, and the amount of foam the person in front of me orders, the less authority I figure that person has during the rest of the day. 

X: "Tall mocha, two shots--one caff, one decaf--2% milk extra hot, no foam, 1 pump chocolate, 1/2 pump peppermint syrup, 1 packet sweet n low, oh, and extra whipped cream."

Me: Bets she spends her workday answering a customer support telephone hotline for a cell phone company.

This. Haha. I’ve done the cellphone gig (refilling minutes). There are few things less stifling than having the same conversation for eight hours straight. You have to stick to the script so precisely. You have no power to help people beyond your set task. You have to process them in a set time. It is awful.

9 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

The longer the list of ingredients, specification of temperature, and the amount of foam the person in front of me orders, the less authority I figure that person has during the rest of the day. 

Hmm that is an interesting analysis.

Personally, I have lots of experience working entry level jobs (including phone customer support) and I try to make my order as uncomplicated as possible. When I need to make alterations or ask questions, like if they have lactose free milk, I feel like I'm annoying the cashier - and anyone who happens to be behind me. Gimmie a black coffee and get me out the door!

16 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Black Aliss,  I wish US cookbooks would get with the program and start using weights for dry ingredients or, hell just use metric for everything.  You maybe don't see it as much as you used to, but there was/is all this crap about measure after sifting.  The weight you need to use in a recipe is still the same; it's just more volume if it's sifted before weighing.  Julia Child did have charts in many of her cookbooks comparing sifted flour and flour scooped and leveled from the canister.  it's very helpful.

I bought British Baking by Peyton and Byrne last year at 2nd and Charles in Asheville last year and everything is metric in it.  I love it!

You've hit on one of my biggest pet peeves as a hobby baker. Most people have no idea how inaccurate the US measurements are. One of the first things we did in a baking class I took years ago was to have each student measure out what was supposed to be a cup of flour, then we all weighed our samples. It was such an eye-opener to see how off everyone was. No two people had the same results. I'm obsessive about weight vs. volume (especially for bread baking when you need to figure out baker's percentages) and at this point it really pisses me off that Americans can't get with the program. Trust me, people. Adopting the method of weighing and the metric system will not lead to communism.

Remember when someone asked "What kind of coffee do you drink," and the answer was "Folgers" or "Maxwell House"? I miss those days. #notacoffeedrinker I don't mind coffee with a lot of chocolate flavor though... lol

20 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

It's not about the [overpriced] coffee. It's about having, for a few minutes in the day, the pleasure of ordering someone to make something special for you.

Or maybe they just like their coffee a particular way. I always ask for at least half the amount of syrup if I'm ordering from Starbucks, as their drinks are FAR to sweet and bordering on disgusting. I also customize the milk based on caloric needs for the day and the type of beverage. I have plenty of autonomy and yes, it's overpriced. I don't go there all the time.

I don't like the drinks as listed. Sorry that you feel the need to judge people's lives on their coffee. 

52 minutes ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Remember when someone asked "What kind of coffee do you drink," and the answer was "Folgers" or "Maxwell House"? I miss those days. #notacoffeedrinker I don't mind coffee with a lot of chocolate flavor though... lol

My hometown has a Maxwell House factory - the city smells SO GOOD around 10 am and 5 pm!  (Have always wondered why those particular hours...)

1 hour ago, scoutsadie said:

My hometown has a Maxwell House factory - the city smells SO GOOD around 10 am and 5 pm!  (Have always wondered why those particular hours...)

Maybe that's when they roast the coffee beans?

Archived