IGNORED

Zach and Whitney Bates: Part 5

Jellybean

I’m very much pro vaccin, so my kids get all the scheduled vaccines but........... i’m from the Netherlands, healthy kids do not get flu shots. They get shots for the serious illnesses (no idea how to translate those). I don’t know if Dutch kids get sick more often, but my 5 yo had the real flu one time (with fever), he has had a lots of runny noses though.  

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Seculardaisy said:

I will NEVER forget Kelly Jo posting that Whitney had sent her a photo of Zach on his knees praying for the election (to swing in Trump’s favor.) Ugh, screw you Zach.

The aforementioned post for anyone curious:

This was posted the day of the election (November8, 2016.) It doesn’t mention who Zach voted for or anything about either of the main candidates specifically... however, we do know that Whit voted for Trump and Zach hoping for a Trump victory would fit with the decision of many white Evangelicals to support the anti-abortion candidate regardless of who they are. 

Thanks for grabbing that @VelociRapture and you’re right hey never specifically said Trump. I just inferred that from Whit’s election post and what she said about she and Zach praying about it. Oh and just the fact that they are who they are. May we never forget what side of history they stand on, despite their polished image and adorable posts.

A98D78FE-151B-4FE0-AC57-2FA5A4999E7D.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dutchie said:

I’m very much pro vaccin, so my kids get all the scheduled vaccines but........... i’m from the Netherlands, healthy kids do not get flu shots. They get shots for the serious illnesses (no idea how to translate those). I don’t know if Dutch kids get sick more often, but my 5 yo had the real flu one time (with fever), he has had a lots of runny noses though.  

Almost all the kids are vaccinated in Spain (anti-vaccination is minoritary, despite slowly increasing). However,  healthy kids do not receive flu shots. 

Anyway, there is no vaccine for the many colds and soft illness that often affects toddlers.

I’m newer to the Bates pages so forgive me if this has already been talked about, but am I the only one who thinks that Whitney and Zach’s kids look JUST like Erin and Chad’s older two? I’ve looked at their instagrams and on some of the group pics I’m hard-pressed to tell them apart. 

10 minutes ago, Seculardaisy said:

Thanks for grabbing that @VelociRapture and you’re right hey never specifically said Trump. I just inferred that from Whit’s election post and what she said about she and Zach praying about it. Oh and just the fact that they are who they are. May we never forget what side of history they stand on, despite their polished image and adorable posts.

I actually interpreted Zach’s behavior as, “we voted for the orange idiot, so God help us(a). “  I mean they could not have been happy voting for a 2 times divorced, known cheater whom could not even quote the Bible correctly. (The Second Corinthians, if I recall correctly)

5 minutes ago, Cat Damon said:

I’m newer to the Bates pages so forgive me if this has already been talked about, but am I the only one who thinks that Whitney and Zach’s kids look JUST like Erin and Chad’s older two? I’ve looked at their instagrams and on some of the group pics I’m hard-pressed to tell them apart. 

Their faces are very different, especially Kaci and Brooklyn. They are same age and all blonde and it can make them look similar in a first sight, but they are not.

4 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

Their faces are very different, especially Kaci and Brooklyn. They are same age and all blonde and it can make them look similar in a first sight, but they are not.

I think Zach’s kids favor him and Erin’s kids favor Chad. Alyssa’s daughters favor the Bates side in my opinion. 

My interpretation of Whitney's post is that while they acknowledge Trump isn't "perfect" they don't think any of the stuff is that awful and he will strip women of rights and oppress all the people they want to oppress so they give no shits what he does. They obviously buy into the whole "make America great again" mindset and I bet that in their minds America was great when minorities had no rights. 

16 hours ago, Dutchie said:

Same in germany, healthy kids don't get flu shots.

I just refreshed a lot of my vaccinations, but I never had a flu shot. I think mostly old people get flu shots around here.

When I was still working,the company allowed a nurse to come in and give flu shots,at no cost.But,that year ,I got sick.

My husband and my sons are encouraged to get flu shots because they're all diabetic.I think anyone with a weaken immune system is encouraged to get a flu shot.

This year,I noticed a lot of the flu going around,both types.On local FB buy,sell,trade,advise pages,people were looking for elderberry syrup.I have a friend,I met her when I started buying elderberry syrup from her.Once,she got into selling and using YL oils for everything(she is obsessed)..she did not make the elderberry syrup,but during this epidemic ,here,she had so many people ask her for it ,so she was making it ,again.Some call it nature's tamiflu.In the three years that I have taken it,I haven't gotten sick,other than a cold.

They had a few deaths from the flu or complications,locally.Lucky for all of us, no one got sick.

I did vaccinate all of my children.

Speaking personally, Flu shots are important for us to get. People here (in the US) don’t always get enough sick leave or any sick leave at all, meaning people often show up to school or work sick because they have no other choice. Germs can spread very easily that way and the Flu in particular was pretty bad this past year. Our daughter is very healthy and much more robust than when she was first born, but she was born at 34 weeks during Flu Season (in December.) No one was allowed to hold her or be close to her if they hadn’t received Flu and Pertusis vaccinations - once Flu Season was over we loosened up on that. We took no chances this past Flu Season too, so the three of us all got vaccinated and none of us got sick despite tons of people in our area getting sick. 

As for other vaccinations, we follow the recommendation of our daughter’s Pediatrician and she felt it was best to stick with a normal vaccination schedule. She’s doing a phenomenal job of helping our daughter thrive so far despite our baby’s bumpy start and we trust her judgement.

Problem with flu shots- there are many strangs every year and the Pharma industry develops vaccines against the most likely ones. I think the recommendation comes from the WHO who monitors the different pathogens. It can happen that those predictions are wrong as nobody can be a hundred percent sure which pathogens will be THE pathogen this year. This winter many people got ill even though they had been vaccinated- sadly for different pathogens.

Here, healthy people don’t get flu shots. It is recommended for people with weak immune systems because of bad illnesses or old people.

Flu shots are no part of the normal vaccination plans for children. Which is fine, but I sure as hell will make sure my kids are vaccinated for the regular stuff.  I wonder if people will go back to vaccinating when illnesses as measles and polio find their way back and society gets aware again what that means. I mean who knows someone suffering from the effects of polio today?

Some children do pick up colds and such very easily but that doesn’t mean there is something wrong. I think Kaci is just fine.

I'm a healthy 40 year old. I have gotten the flu shot probably the past 4 years. I've still gotten sick but not bad at all.....seems like I will get what's going around (1x a winter) but a much much smaller version of it. I personally am a believer in it working for me. Having said that, I'm not planning on getting one this year because I want to see if it's the flu shot that actually works, or if I just have a good immune system. 

My sister is a nurse so I get the flu shot every year (whether I like it or not, lol) and the only time I have ever gotten the flu was when the swine flu was going around. It kicked my ass and I still tried to go to school to finished my perfect attendance up strong. I couldn't do it- but stuff like that is why its important for people to get flu shots. Because I'm quite sure I infected quite a few people those few hours I managed to sit in school. 

I wonder if flu rates are higher among children in Europe (since most countries seem not to vaccinate) and/or the rate of complications are higher. Since most of Western Europe if not all have some sort of universal healthcare we are more likely (overall) to run to the doctor, that might help. 

My mom's a pharmacist who gives out vaccines like flu and pneumonia so once the season rolls around she brings them home and makes sure we are covered instead of having to go to the doctors or other clinics.

Also as a MPH student please get your vaccines (of course unless you are immunosuppressant ), vaccine preventable diseases are one easy way for us to have healthier lives! 

1 hour ago, Dutchie said:

I wonder if flu rates are higher among children in Europe (since most countries seem not to vaccinate) and/or the rate of complications are higher.

Anecdotally speaking, I've had the proper flu exactly once in my life (never vaccinated against it) and most of my friends about the same. I've noticed parents are pretty good at making sure kids don't go into school and spread it and pharmacists are pretty good at recommending treatments. Here in the UK, it's recommended not going to the doctor about it at all unless you have complications or risk factors. Just rest up. Mum said she's only had it once, same with Dad, and they're in their fifties - never vaccinated.

Swine flu did kick butt though. About a quarter of my year probably caught that.

In the US, the recommendation is for anyone over the age of 6 months get the flu shot every year, excluding people who can’t get it for medical reasons, of course. It can’t vaccinate against all strains, but it does help protect you against the major strains going around that season. I’m a big proponent of it and hope it becomes just like any other vaccine, such as measles, pertussis, etc., in the eyes of the public. The flu can be a killer. 

4 hours ago, mollysmom said:

Having said that, I'm not planning on getting one this year because I want to see if it's the flu shot that actually works, or if I just have a good immune system. 

Just fyi, this isn't actually going to tell you anything. The flu shot isn't perfect. It'll reduce your risk of getting the flu, but depending on the year it might be only ~50% effective. And of course most people in any given year who don't get the flu shot don't end up getting the flu anyway. So whether you skip the flu shot and end up getting the flu or not getting it, you'll have basically no way of knowing whether you would have gotten it with the shot or not.

30 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Just fyi, this isn't actually going to tell you anything. The flu shot isn't perfect. It'll reduce your risk of getting the flu, but depending on the year it might be only ~50% effective. And of course most people in any given year who don't get the flu shot don't end up getting the flu anyway. So whether you skip the flu shot and end up getting the flu or not getting it, you'll have basically no way of knowing whether you would have gotten it with the shot or not.

This is what I trying to say before I got downvoted.I am not against flu shots.My husband and my sons get them because they are diabetic and have a weakened immune system,

Here flu vaccines are offered to the elderly, adults and children with medical conditions and pregnant women. You can pay to get it done private if you don't fall into that category. I have asthma and get most years, while it doesn't cover all strains of flu and didn't stop me from getting it completely last year, it did allow me to still work and go to university and it cleared quicker. 

And the reason people were buying Elderberry Syrup,is that Tamiflu was sold out,on order difficult to find.People who's children or other loved ones who already had the flu.Elderberry syrup can shorten it,like Tamiflu.

this year was a BAD one for the flu - i spent 4 weeks in Jan-Feb rotating inpatient internal medicine and probably 1/3 to 1/2 of our beds at any given time were flu+ (even if that's not what they were admitted for); I imagine what my classmates and colleagues on pediatrics or in family medicine clinics saw just as much.

Sure "normal" people may get +/- benefit from getting a flu vaccine any given year, it is definitely a hit-or-miss thing....but the # of people who DO need to get it (or who are exposed to people who need it....) - kids, the elderly, anyone hospitalized, diabetics, kidney failure, liver failure, pregnant, a number of other categories of people - just go get the darn thing, man. 

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived