IGNORED

Zach and Whitney Bates: Part 5

Jellybean

5 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

when the Duggar's talk I think it's mostly Michelle talking about how she distracted the neighbors in her bikini well she mowed the lawn. 

I do remember though that JB and Michelle mentioned going further than they should have. Or worded it something like that. I always figured they had hours long makeout sessions with heavy petting over their clothing before they were married. That’s probably why they got married when Michelle was 17 and had just graduated from high school. Because they knew those heavy petting sessions would eventually become S-E-X.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I do remember though that JB and Michelle mentioned going further than they should have. Or worded it something like that. I always figured they had hours long makeout sessions with heavy petting over their clothing before they were married. That’s probably why they got married when Michelle was 17 and had just graduated from high school. Because they knew those heavy petting sessions would eventually become S-E-X.

that is probably part of it but wasn't Michelle's parents also leaving the state and she wanted to stay with JB. I mean by that point her parents were just worn out she was the baby of what 7 or 8  her parents were old by that point i figure they just were thinking fuck it and let her do what ever she wanted. 

7 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

that is probably part of it but wasn't Michelle's parents also leaving the state and she wanted to stay with JB. I mean by that point her parents were just worn out she was the baby of what 7 or 8  her parents were old by that point i figure they just were thinking fuck it and let her do what ever she wanted. 

She’s the youngest so they were definitely “done” by the time she graduated high school. She probably could have found an apartment with a girlfriend or something if she wanted to wait to get married. But those two are still horn dogs so I don’t even want to imagine what they were like as teens :my_sick:

On 8/14/2018 at 1:09 PM, coffeebean7 said:

Jessa commented on Whitney's post and said "My heart breaks for y'all". It rubs me the wrong way. Why not just say "My heart breaks for your family". I know Jessa meant well but I'm just so over the Duggars' use of "y'all". 

I say “ya’ll”. I couldn’t stop myself from saying it. It’s part of this region’s dialect. I sometimes try to be more “proper” while typing on forums, social media, etc. but then I don’t feel like I sound like myself... then I feel inscincere... like I’m trying too hard. 

I think it is part of Jessa’s (& Whitney’s) everyday language. There was nothing negative meant by her comment. 

We have all sorts of crazy sayings here. We use buggy instead of cart, pop instead of soda,” fixin’ to” instead of “getting ready to”, “every now & again” instead of “every once in a while”. I have a million phrases that some folks might think sound funny. But are every day speak for southern people... 

Check out Tuckahoe if you really want to hear something unusual. Some of the hollers around here still use it. Interpreters are sometimes necessary! 

7 hours ago, Joyfully Available said:

pop instead of soda

I'm curious, where do you live that you both consider yourself southern and say pop? "Coke" seems to be the most common word in the south for a generic carbonated beverage.

DNFxb4kXkAEw5xP.jpg

It’s complicated. Childhood in WV, young adult in SC with a mix of GA. I bounce between WV & SC currently to care for grandparents. That map totally left off the “soda pop” option. Lol!  (Generally used by my Grandparents generation.)  

WV is a place all its own in terms of language. The southern half of our state still considers themselves to be supremely southern while the more northern counties tend to sound totally different from their southern counterparts. An interesting topic to research. 

Coke is definitely used frequently but when you ask for a coke... you get specifically coke. If you want orange pop, grape pop.... this could go on forever... pretty much any other carbonated beverage besides coke, people here say pop. I feel like coke is king of the carbonated beverages so it gets a specification all it’s own. (No offense Pepsi lovers!) 

There is definitely some variation once I get to my FL family. FL has some interesting lingo all their own too! 

8 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I'm curious, where do you live that you both consider yourself southern and say pop? "Coke" seems to be the most common word in the south for a generic carbonated beverage.

DNFxb4kXkAEw5xP.jpg

I'm in the little bit of green in SW VA, definitely  in the South, but say Pop

I was raised in Kansas but live in Texas now. I say pop out of habit, but have actively tried to switch to coke because pop outs me as a Midwesterner lol

Another Kansan.  I grew up saying 'pop' but switched to 'soda' in my late teens (without moving) because one of my friends said 'soda' and liked the way it sounded better than 'pop.'  I now live in Missouri - and have per that map moved from a green pop zone in Kansas to a blue soda zone in Missouri.  

I've lived in the South most of my life.I did live in Ohio for three years,where it's called "pop".I never called it that,We always said "Ginger Ale","Sprite" ,"Coke", "Dr Pepper", etc,never "soda" or "pop".My mother always called "Coke" "Coca-Cola",only ,with her ,she said it fast,in her Georgia accent it was "Coco-lur".

During my some of my high school years in Ohio,neighbors laughed at me because I said "Y'all".

hehehehe we call it boring old soft drink. No idea how they came about the "soft" part. I always though, thought it was soda pop not soda or pop. The things you learn on FJ....

The “soft” in soft drinks is an adjective used in relation to a hard drink. The beverage is not soft like a pillow. Rather, it is nonalcoholic, unlike a hard drink, which is a distilled alcoholic beverage. Been around since the 13TH CENTURY

The modern-day soft drink, however, didn’t develop until the 18th century, when scientists started synthesizing carbonated water — also known as soda water. The “soda” part of the word is derived from the sodium salts within the water. (The salts reduce the liquid’s acidity.) Another term for soda water is seltzer, named for Selters, a German village known for its hot springs.

As for pop, i guess that someone just made that one up lol (MAYBE because its carbonated and a lid "pop's off.)

On 8/15/2018 at 1:32 PM, mstee said:

I always thought it was so weird how the parents (duggars more so than Bates) always said “we made mistakes during our young dating years and we don’t want you to make those same mistakes!”   Like what mistakes? They both have successful, happy marriages (by all appearances). How is that a mistake? 

I love that Zach basically asked his parents this question in tonight's episode, Gil and Kelly wanted them to show how to behave on a date because they were teaching the new set of chaperones and Zach suggested to Gil and Kelly to show them how they behaved on their dates. They never did answer that question. I hated the rest of chaperone teaching I guess they also admitted they set the rules and not the couples because they mentioned corners and places and Gil came off the couch when Zach decided how the date should go by about to make out with Whitney. I did like at the end Josie and Kelton's chaperons ended up being Zach and Whitney, I'm betting they ignore the rules and let Josie and Kelton basically do what they want.  

43 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

I'm betting they ignore the rules and let Josie and Kelton basically do what they want.  

I agree, plus Josie and Whitney are really close.

On 8/16/2018 at 12:00 PM, clueliss said:

Another Kansan.  I grew up saying 'pop' but switched to 'soda' in my late teens (without moving) because one of my friends said 'soda' and liked the way it sounded better than 'pop.'  I now live in Missouri - and have per that map moved from a green pop zone in Kansas to a blue soda zone in Missouri.  

Another Missourian in the blue zone. I say soda but my grandma says pop or sody pop.

And I say ya'll.

On 8/14/2018 at 10:09 AM, coffeebean7 said:

Jessa commented on Whitney's post and said "My heart breaks for y'all". It rubs me the wrong way. Why not just say "My heart breaks for your family". I know Jessa meant well but I'm just so over the Duggars' use of "y'all". 

Then never go anywhere that's considered remotely southern. Y'all is used by EVERYONE except the yankees. Don't like it? Tough shit. Y'all do not get to be the arbiters of colloquial speech and/or dialects. 

Of all the things to get your shorts in a knot over...

16 hours ago, nolongerIFBx said:

Another Missourian in the blue zone. I say soda but my grandma says pop or sody pop.

And I say ya'll.

I had a boyfriend,when I was 18,or so.He called a "soda" a "sody".I had never heard that.He was from Illinois,my grandmother hated him..lol.

On 8/15/2018 at 1:19 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I do remember though that JB and Michelle mentioned going further than they should have. 

Hmm... Did they play putt putt/ mini golf before marriage:output_eeMbjt:?

Zach and Withney shared in that live show that they do, that they had a miscarriage. I feel so sorry for them. Whitney was crying. It must be tough for them. 

On 8/21/2018 at 4:16 PM, Chocolatecheesecake said:

Zach and Withney shared in that live show that they do, that they had a miscarriage. I feel so sorry for them. Whitney was crying. It must be tough for them. 

Yes, it's been discussed and they confirmed it and gave more detail on their instagram:

Oh woppsie, sorry, I should have read a little further back, I thought they just talked about it for the first time.  I don't really have anything to add, I just wanted to write, that I feel sorry for them, I thought the live show was really touching and sincere. It almost brought tears to my eyes. 

I thoroughly enjoyed it when Zach suggested G&K show them how they behaved on their dates. Zach seems to not be completely high off the kool-aid these days. He still tipples, of course, but he doesn't seem fundy-wasted. ?

Their vow renewal pictures are beautiful, even though it’s a bit odd to renew your vows with bridesmaids and everything when you haven’t even hit your 5th anniversary yet. Maybe they’ll do it every 5 years? I could see that. 

It’s a pretty setting and they are really cute together. 

We say pop in Southern Ontario, however, you need to specific when ordering a kind of pop. Coke Zero, Seven-Up...

Also, if you order tea, you’ll get hot tea, not iced tea. 

On 8/26/2018 at 3:47 AM, coffeebean7 said:

Their vow renewal pictures are beautiful, even though it’s a bit odd to renew your vows with bridesmaids and everything when you haven’t even hit your 5th anniversary yet. Maybe they’ll do it every 5 years? I could see that. 

It’s a pretty setting and they are really cute together. 

Pretty sure it's not so much a vow renewal as it is the wedding Whitney always wanted and now has the money and confidence to get. Compare their first wedding and its rushed frumpery horror to the classy instagram delight that are their vow renewal pictures - Whit now knows what she likes, has found her bran dof yummy mummy fundy and is going for it, with Zach being confident enough in his own life and success to go along with it and not be cowed by his parents. 

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived