IGNORED

Michael and Brandon Keilen: Part 4

Jellybean

On 3/27/2019 at 6:23 PM, rebeccawriter01 said:

GIven that she has an associate of science in general healthcare from Roane, I doubt she's headed to Crown. It would be the same classes minus the Bible ones as Crown. So more than likely she has been accepted into a technical college. LPN programs and RN programs are both offered at community and technical colleges. RN takes a little over two years, while LPN is more like 12 months to 18 months depending on how lucky you are at getting the right schedule and field work. This also depends how much core you have left to take. She should be done with that.  I would be surprised if she is going for her BSN. 

LPNs are very much real nurses. The curriculum for RNs and LPNs is very similar, but RNs tend to make more money and have more responsibility. LPNs are in high demand. Some states, including Tennessee offer grants that cover almost all the tuition and fees for those qualified to become and LPN because the demand is go great. A lot get their LPN for free under those programs and then take the additional classes to become an RN to make more money. The big difference in duties is RNs get to administer medicine and have more independence. An LPN normally reports to an RN and the doctor. 

I was a working LPN for over 20 years.  The only thing I wasn't allowed to do was to start an IV line.  Each state has its own rules and regulations, but we pretty much did everything but starting the IV line.

• Upvote 2

Michaela was one of the first comments of congratulations on Joe and Kendra's pregnancy announcement on instagram. 

Infertility in general when you want a child sucks, but man, infertility in the quiverfull movement is just a special kind of hell. I don't want more babies born into the cult but I felt literal sadness when I saw her excited comment because I know how bad that must sting for her internally, even if she's keeping sweet on the outside. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, Casserole said:

Michaela was one of the first comments of congratulations on Joe and Kendra's pregnancy announcement on instagram. 

Infertility in general when you want a child sucks, but man, infertility in the quiverfull movement is just a special kind of hell. I don't want more babies born into the cult but I felt literal sadness when I saw her excited comment because I know how bad that must sting for her internally, even if she's keeping sweet on the outside. 

I agree, she is the only one in the cult that I actually wish a baby on. Maybe having only one (or two) child will also mean they have a bit better life. So if another baby is born in this cult (which is inevitably) , I wish it was with them. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

I think that's the first dress I've ever seen Michael in that I've actually liked! ? Horses for courses, eh?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

That is a beautiful non-fundie wedding dress though (no t-shirt sleeves like Michael's... dear lord). Do we know what are the modesty standards of the Keilen's?

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

Michael always looks just fine to me. She is adhering to modesty standards and not wearing clothing that attracts looks at her body. Her clothing allows lookers to focus on her and her character (or whatever the Duggars used to call it... countenance?) Her clothes are clean and the correct size for her. Although not my style (because I never wear dresses/skirts) there is nothing wrong with her clothing. We have become accustomed to all the older Bates and Duggar daughters wearing less modest and trendy stuff now, and they take and post lots and lots of photos to prove it. Michael isn't into all that admiration.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

I think it actually adds attention on her. She's the only one in that wedding picture in a casual t shirt dress. If she wore something else, she wouldn't stick out imo. Even if she wore a black t shirt it would be better. The white focuses the eye up there. 

Edited by OyToTheVey
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 9

This dress is more painful.

I would agree this dress is painful, in this context. If you look on the other peoples clothes they are the same dress code level, and Michaela’s are several levels lower. Keeping her modesty standards is one thing, being properly dressed for a wedding is another.

I searched ASOS and found three dresses that would fit her modesty standards as well as being appropriate for the occasion. They are priced between $60 and $200.

c1d60f8d290fd0f8141d1c15a0a25d73.jpg4a4e1ffa84492af66303c8f8d7e2772f.jpg118bf0343c22ec713214a8211b393eb5.jpg

I would have put her in the orange dress, which, by the way, is the cheapest of the three.
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

I think it actually adds attention on her. She's the only one in that wedding picture in a casual t shirt dress. If she wore something else, she wouldn't stick out imo. Even if she wore a black t shirt it would be better. The white focuses the eye up there. 

Maybe she borrowed it from the Rodrigues ladies (perish the thought.) I agree that a black t shirt would have been better.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

The bride has shoulders. I am severely scandilized. How did the men contain themselves! Shocked Michael(a) didn't offer the bride her t-shirt.

She would look beautiful in those ASOS dresses, but those dresses seem like they'd be more inappropriate for the bluff-glamping vibe*wedding than her chosen attire. Love her smile, looks genuine.

Edited by J'Lurker
Forgot a word
  • Upvote 4

I love the second dress, but I'm sure Michael would have added some hideous modesty alteration, since the top fabric is see through and shows a deep v-neck.

Edited by Audrey2
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

I've definitely seen Michael in that dress with the t-shirt under it before. Michael has stuck with her style (or the bates style from 10 years ago) more than anyone, but she also seems to wear the same clothes more than once. Like a normal person! I get the impression the Keilens have been especially thrifty and I'm sure especially so as they save up for moving and treatment. 

That said, the dress she's in does not fit the level of formality of the event. I don't really like showing my shoulders, but I have a lot of sleeveless shirts and dresses. I've gotten in the habit of wearing a lot of shrug-type things like this:

9491456_fpx.thumb.jpeg.8b488babc8509c87181496c6fa8b6ac3.jpeg41618000_100.thumb.jpg.d8265b7f35d63767a1b1ed0d88a4d2be.jpg

It's still hard to make a maxi-dress look formal, but t-shirts under really make it look casual. I only have three dresses I'd be able to wear to a formal wedding, so I keep them pretty basic and then change my accessories.

• Upvote 17

Fundies have many more “fundie modest” options nowadays compared to even just a decade ago. If you look on Amazon, there are thousands of pieces of inexpensive clothing that would fit their modesty standards. There are also plenty of modest bloggers with tips and tricks and modest clothing sites. Even if you live in the middle of nowhere, you have access to more fashionable modest clothing. 

If that’s what Michael loves to wear then that’s fine by me. I just wanted to point out that she is not as limited as she used to be in the fashion department. And I liked the large leaf dress she wore recently. If she finds another like that in a pretty pastel floral print, it would be really cute. 

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

If that’s what Michael loves to wear then that’s fine by me. I just wanted to point out that she is not as limited as she used to be in the fashion department. And I liked the large leaf dress she wore recently. If she finds another like that in a pretty pastel floral print, it would be really cute.

Fine by me, too. She grew up in the country, and country folk have a standard of wear for formal occasions that is often different from city folk. For weddings (not talking about the wedding party,) funerals, etc in the country she is perfectly attired. She probably hasn't been citified long enough to have adapted and she doesn't need to. They are (or will be) back in TN soon so she is fine. She has always looked nice.

I thought that T-shirt dress, and there may be more, was all sewn together as one dress, whether or not purchased that way or sewn by Michael. I think it is usually too perfectly fit/not wrinkled around the bodice to be a separate shirt. 

If I had as many filmed scenes and photos of me out there over the years as Michael has, you'd definitely see a lot more repeats. She's thrifty. I'm cheaper than thrifty.

Edited by Bobology
  • Upvote 6

Michael’s post about the wedding was from June 2017. She’s dressing better these days.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

On 4/19/2019 at 6:18 PM, OyToTheVey said:

If Michael is like me, this probably would not have occurred to her (and if it did occur, I just...wouldn't care enough to change it, tbh)

• Upvote 2

I almost had a Michaela encounter Saturday. My fiancé and I are both Michiganders. It was dinner time and he told me we could go anywhere. We went to Zehender’s in Frankenmuth. We saw a fundie family not the Bates/Keilens and I told him the secret to spotting a fundie was if the woman wore skirts no matter how inhospitable the weather or activity (it was a cold rainy day). Fast forward to getting home and checking Ig, I discover that Michaela and Brandon were in Frankenmuth. 

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, ariel9 said:

I almost had a Michaela encounter Saturday. My fiancé and I are both Michiganders. It was dinner time and he told me we could go anywhere. We went to Zehender’s in Frankenmuth. We saw a fundie family not the Bates/Keilens and I told him the secret to spotting a fundie was if the woman wore skirts no matter how inhospitable the weather or activity (it was a cold rainy day). Fast forward to getting home and checking Ig, I discover that Michaela and Brandon were in Frankenmuth. 

I was in Frankenmuth on Saturday, too! I was disappointed when I saw Michael’s Instagram later knowing that I could’ve done some fundie-watching in real life.

On 4/8/2019 at 12:05 AM, Mela99 said:

Someone mentioned it before but I could genuinely see her going to work for Dr. Vick or another christian-y doctor.

It's interesting to think about what she will encounter in nursing school. Even if she goes to a religious school, nursing is nursing and medicine is medicine. She can't avoid learning about how to treat a man or how to.. idk, insert a catheter, all that jazz?

Unless you can specialize in certain kinds of nursing and she would choose to focus on babies and mom's?

I definitely can't speak to the programs offered in her area, but I work at a university with a special nursing program track specifically for a fundie group in my area (the Orthodox Jewish community). They end up with the same degree as our "regular" nursing students but the classes are somewhat adjusted to their parameters. It's a female-only program and all the professors who teach the cohort are women (not that that is unusual in a nursing program, to be fair). But the coursework is the same, and they have to do the same types of clinicals as all the other students. I believe they can request to do the clinicals in a more religious-friendly setting but they definitely don't all get that.

So I guess I mean that it's certainly possible for reputable, secular schools to have nursing programs that are somewhat fundie-friendly, depending on just how fundie they are. Our students are pretty damn fundie but they also are dedicated to pursing their chosen profession and understand they have to make some possibly tricky religious decisions in order to do that. I expect that many of our students will go try to work with children and pregnant women, but I also know that some are just intending to work within their community in general.

I'm also well aware that our population is a whole different kettle of fish from the southern Christian evangelicals; my university was approached by the religious institution to set up this program because they recognized the need for "real" school for certain necessary professions. I don't think the Bates-type fundies would be willing to do that.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

I've always felt the Miachel's choice in clothing actually draws more attention to her because she goes out of her way to make things modest. Whenever she adds an ugly tee shirt under a sleeveless dress it screams "look at me". But I also know that she likely doesn't look at it from that viewpoint and she's just going to continue to dress how she dresses. Honestly she just seems the one kid who isn't concerned with going mainstream and definitely is more traditional, plus Brandon is definitely a traditional fuddie-duddie so I'm sure he's totally cool with it.

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, LillyP said:

plus Brandon is definitely a traditional fuddie-duddie so I'm sure he's totally cool with it.

I completely agree, not that fudge-duddie is bad, but it is a good description of Brandon.

• Upvote 4

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic