IGNORED

Michael and Brandon Keilen: Part 4

Jellybean

My best guess/hope is that Michael will go to the University of Tennessee for their Bachelor of Science in Nursing program.
Here is a program overview. With her AS in Health Science, she should be able to transfer in pretty much all of the freshman and some of the sophomore classes. Depending on how many of the freshman/sophomore classes she still needs to take at UT, Michael should be able to start with the specialized nursing classes pretty quickly and be done in maybe 2 1/2 years (if she goes full-time).

Going to school in Knoxville also means that she will be VERY close to the Bates mothership, for all the good and bad that brings with it. I'm also very curious to see what Brandon will be doing in TN.

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 5

I would be surprised if Michael goes to nursing school at University of TN. Their nursing program is tough to get into (even with a prior degree) and requires more pre-reqs than other Knoxville area nursing schools. 

I would more likely assume she’d go to King University or TN Wesleyan as they are private christian nursing programs. 

Also, Roane State has an associate degree RN program. She may go back there if she already has her general health associate degree from them. Pellissippi also has an associate RN program but it’s another that’s hard to get into because it’s the lowest cost option in the area and they get a ton of applicants. 

Other possible choices: Carson-Newman or South College. 

I’m an RN BSN student in Knoxville. I’d be shocked if she picks the school I attend. It’s private but secular and stupid expensive. 

Edited by cherryontop
  • Upvote 11
  • Thank You 2

Anyone else think one of the reasons they're moving is to be closer to Dr. Vick?  I know IVF is about 99.999999% off the table, but I wonder if they would consider other options. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

On 3/27/2019 at 10:37 AM, nokidsmom said:

I hope that part of this decision is not because she was guilted in some way to come back. 

I hope so too. It's possible, since in June there will be only Katie at home to cook, homeschool, run errands and take care of the youngest kids. Even with Addallee's help, that's a lot on Katie. The older boys don't seem like they are expected to do much.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Hisey said:

I hope so too. It's possible, since in June there will be only Katie at home to cook, homeschool, run errands and take care of the youngest kids. Even with Addallee's help, that's a lot on Katie. The older boys don't seem like they are expected to do much.

They seem to have a lot of grooming to do and wardrobe decisions to make. Those hairstyles won't wax themselves.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 21

16 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

They seem to have a lot of grooming to do and wardrobe decisions to make. Those hairstyles won't wax themselves.

I just quietly wonder, does Lawson influence the way his younger brothers look and dress or does Kelly have more influence, wanting them to look snazzy to attract better mates?

• Upvote 1

Is it possible that Brandon could still work for Gothard Inc. online? He does A/V stuff, right?

And all this time I thought they'd eventually have to move to Big Sandy. Color Me Flabbergasted.

I hope she jacks up the prices on the baby stuff she sews--and perhaps her sisters can sell it through their new online boutique. Although she seems to always sell out of anything she posts online anyway.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

Is it possible that Brandon could still work for Gothard Inc. online? He does A/V stuff, right?

And all this time I thought they'd eventually have to move to Big Sandy. Color Me Flabbergasted.

I hope she jacks up the prices on the baby stuff she sews--and perhaps her sisters can sell it through their new online boutique. Although she seems to always sell out of anything she posts online anyway.

He works (or worked?) as a videographer for IBLP. I guess he could work for home? i always thought it was weird that they didnt relocate when everyone did.

He also did a childrens book with ilustrations (the book was some boring religious shit, but he is good at drawing) but i think that was on his own. I mention this because an ilustrator could definetely work from home, the problem as with everything is getting started and getting work.

• Upvote 4

On 3/29/2019 at 1:45 PM, cherryontop said:

I would be surprised if Michael goes to nursing school at University of TN. Their nursing program is tough to get into (even with a prior degree) and requires more pre-reqs than other Knoxville area nursing schools. 

I would more likely assume she’d go to King University or TN Wesleyan as they are private christian nursing programs. 

Also, Roane State has an associate degree RN program. She may go back there if she already has her general health associate degree from them. Pellissippi also has an associate RN program but it’s another that’s hard to get into because it’s the lowest cost option in the area and they get a ton of applicants. 

Other possible choices: Carson-Newman or South College. 

I’m an RN BSN student in Knoxville. I’d be shocked if she picks the school I attend. It’s private but secular and stupid expensive. 

This is exactly what I was going to say UTK is crazy expensive for a 4 year state university even in-state.  I have been looking at tuition costs recently, and I was shocked by it.  I would be surprised if that's where she was going.  You can get a nursing degree much less expensively in TN, even at some private schools!  

• Upvote 2

I'm happy to see Michael taking a step to get more education. I'm always in favor of these women (especially) having more access and encouragement to pursue education. 

I also think there is wonderful potential for un-indoctrination anytime the kidults in IBLP have more interaction with the regular, secular world. Yeah, they think they're always on mission*, but also they are meeting real people with different backgrounds and that could cause them to question their beliefs. 

As far as Michael being pushed back into caring for the littles, I will say that she does seem like one of the infertile people who really gets comfort from spending time with her young siblings and nieces/nephews. It's not an uncommon response from some in the infertility world to really love soaking up baby cuddles. Of course she could still be taken advantage of for babysitting, but with the limited window they share with the public, it would be impossible to know that's how it was going down.

*many baptist churches actually have a sign when you are leaving the church or the parking lot "you are now entering the mission field"

• Upvote 7

I wonder if UP offered more money in exchange for some of the married couples relocating to E TN? It can't be easy having camera crews in different parts of the country. Also, it has been said on the show that Kelly has used tutors, so she doesn't need that much help. Let's face it. The show is their primary source of income (even married couples).

• I Agree 1

On 4/3/2019 at 6:09 AM, RosyDaisy said:

I wonder if UP offered more money in exchange for some of the married couples relocating to E TN? It can't be easy having camera crews in different parts of the country. Also, it has been said on the show that Kelly has used tutors, so she doesn't need that much help. Let's face it. The show is their primary source of income (even married couples).

This is an interesting theory.  Here's another version:  Kelly Jo negotiated this with UP so that she could use the lure of mo money to manipulate her adult children into moving closer to home.  

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

Someone mentioned it before but I could genuinely see her going to work for Dr. Vick or another christian-y doctor.

It's interesting to think about what she will encounter in nursing school. Even if she goes to a religious school, nursing is nursing and medicine is medicine. She can't avoid learning about how to treat a man or how to.. idk, insert a catheter, all that jazz?

Unless you can specialize in certain kinds of nursing and she would choose to focus on babies and mom's?

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Mela99 said:

It's interesting to think about what she will encounter in nursing school. Even if she goes to a religious school, nursing is nursing and medicine is medicine. She can't avoid learning about how to treat a man or how to.. idk, insert a catheter, all that jazz?

Unless you can specialize in certain kinds of nursing and she would choose to focus on babies and mom's?

I don't see the problem. Catholic nuns were nurses for a long time, when most secular women were not allowed to study and work. Nursing was right for nuns because they saw it as a sacrifice. It can be seen the same way for Michael (or other fundies). Sick or injured men may not be seen as a inmodest body, but just someone who needs help and it's more godly and useful than just praying to heal him.

• Upvote 9

9 hours ago, Mela99 said:

Someone mentioned it before but I could genuinely see her going to work for Dr. Vick or another christian-y doctor.

Even if she has plans to specialize after earning her license and degree, she's going to have to take general classes and observe/take part in field experiences at hospitals, offices, etc. My take on it is that fundies are more open to it because she is a married woman. Because of the fertility issues and not having children, she is getting to forge her own path a little. I suppose they view it as once you've seen one male body, you've seen them all. :confused2:

She has been through her volunteer EMT training, which has exposed her to more than some of the Duggars and Bates girls who have said in the past they would like to become nurses. Since Katie has said for years that is what she wanted, I'm hopeful that Michael's experience will open the door to Katie or any of the other Bates girls who would want to pursue that career. 

Yes, working for some place like Dr. Vick would be a good possibility.

• Upvote 9

If I were having infertility, the last thing I’d want to do is baby related work.  I get that Michael loves her nieces and nephews but she has a connection to those kids.  

Listen, I don’t want to speak for Michael, but to speak for myself, a woman who didn’t date at all in her 20s (despite VERY MUCH wanting to), I would have been way too bitter to, say, work in a bridal shop or any other job that was constantly wedding related.  I was happy for most people getting married, but it was still hard on me.  I can’t imagine how it would have been to deal with brides all day, some of them surely entitled bridezillas!  

I’m glad she’s going back to school (education was my path out of being fundie lite), but for her own mental health, I hope her job is not baby/l&d/gynecology related.  

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

On 4/8/2019 at 12:05 PM, Mela99 said:

I had a Muslim female nursing student who tried to say she would only look after female patients. We had to get an Inman in to speak to her to say her duty was to all patients. 

Interesting. No other student (Muslim, Christian or other) in the 8 years I was at that hospital every tried to say that. 

1 hour ago, Milly-Molly-Mandy said:

I had a Muslim female nursing student who tried to say she would only look after female patients. We had to get an Inman in to speak to her to say her duty was to all patients. 

Interesting. No other student (Muslim, Christian or other) in the 8 years I was at that hospital every tried to say that. 

Does it go both ways? Are patients allowed to request a nurse or doctor the same sex as them?

I have heard that Muslims are to request a Muslim doctor of the same sex, and if not available, a non-Muslim doctor of the same sex, and then, a Muslim doctor of opposite sex, and then if not available a non-Muslim doctor of the opposite sex.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, MaryOrMartha said:

Does it go both ways? Are patients allowed to request a nurse or doctor the same sex as them?

I have heard that Muslims are to request a Muslim doctor of the same sex, and if not available, a non-Muslim doctor of the same sex, and then, a Muslim doctor of opposite sex, and then if not available a non-Muslim doctor of the opposite sex.

I worked as a midwife in a hospital and because there was a asylum center nearby, it happend regularly that patients request a female nurse or docter. In the case of the nurses it was easy to arrange, we had way more female nurses than male nurses on staff. When the issue was about a docter 'we' didn't conform to the request. Simply because it was a small hospital with 6 OB-Gyn's, and it would mean that a docter not on call had to be called to the hospital and work extra hours. All the docters worked full time, so by working even more hours it could be dangerous to the quality of the work and a major impact on their familylife. Ofcourse we tried to tell patients this during their pregnancy, and also talk to them about other options/hospitals, so it would not come as a surprise to them during early labour.

• Upvote 5

@MaryOrMartha yes we occasionally had older female patients or Muslim patients request female nurses. We would try to accommodate them but explained if for clinical reasons we couldn’t they had to respect that. The ‘funny’ things was because of our location in Sydney all but one of our male nurses was gay. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Milly-Molly-Mandy said:

Why was that your job?  Why not just lay out the requirements and let her seek her own spiritual guidance if she needed it?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

39 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Why was that your job?  Why not just lay out the requirements and let her seek her own spiritual guidance if she needed it?

Because it WAS my job. I was in charge of students. 

Buffy- feel free to PM if you have any more questions, I don’t want to go into any more detail on here :)

Edited by Milly-Molly-Mandy
  • Upvote 7

Michael's dress looks like a granny mumu! Sorry, it just does.
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:
On 4/8/2019 at 2:18 PM, miss_batson said:

Michael's dress looks like a granny mumu! Sorry, it just does.

Yeah, these full-body giant prints are a trend right now but I think they just overwhelm most people. 

• I Agree 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic