IGNORED

Michael and Brandon Keilen: Part 4

Jellybean

total speculation, but I feel Brandon just agreed to have Michaela "save up" for nursing school selling the blankets because he knows its near impossible . . . 

There are some schools around where they live (Oak Brook, IL) but many are Catholic or Jewish, which I'm assuming cross them of her (his?) list. The small, secular, affordable nursing programs are going to be 20k still. I wonder if she will do an online program? 

Nursing school could mean a CNA type certificate program (similar to Abby Duggar) or she could get another associate's degree in an RN program. A lot of hospitals are shifting toward only hiring nurses with a BSN from a 4 year college, but there are other routes to nursing she could be taking that are much cheaper. My local community college has quite the wait list for their 2 year associate RN program. 

I've long thought she is underestimating herself and should be charging much more for her hand sewn crafts. It seems she's barely covering the supply costs. She's doing herself a disservice. Add in the "fame," I'm sure some humpers would be willing to pay even more because it was made by a Bates. She could afford nursing school much sooner if she cashed in on that.  

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

On 3/9/2019 at 12:23 PM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Probably she expects him to work for Gil, so that they can take advantage of both of them as much as possible. I feel sorry for Brandon, who clearly ought to be a graduate student in art or history.

I agree that Brandon is lucky to have the job he has.  I suspects he knows it too, and he is probably loath to give it up only to move closer to the chaos of his in-law family and be taken advantage of like Chad.  I have long thought Brandon has had Gil and Kelly's number.  He may be ATI like them but I think he's had them figured out a long time ago. I am sure he sympathizes with his wife missing her family but at the same time, knows that the distance is probably better for her and frankly, for the both of them.   If they moved back, Kelly would be just all over Michael to resume her old role in the family.   If Michael wants to pursue nursing, she needs that time for herself. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

I hope Michael gets the opportunity to go to nursing school, but I wonder if it is a reality. Most nurses I know (they got a BSN) started out working at a hospital working 3 twelve hour shifts (which is usually closer to 12.5-13 hours, plus the commute). Would Brandon allow her to work through the dinner hour? Also new nurses are frequently offered night shift, would he allow that? What about working weekends? If Brandon doesn't work weekends would he allow her to work on Saturdays? Also would he say she should only work labor and delivery/post-partum so she doesn't have male patients, or would he say she could only work newborn/NICU/peds/PICU so she is dealing with children? I think nursing is an excellent profession, and I have the upmost respect for nurses, but I wonder if Brandon feels that way. Also if they plan on adopting would she be allowed to work once they have a child? Adoption is typically expensive, and I don't see Brandon shelling out the money for nursing school only to have her quit school to be a stay at home mom. I don't know what type of money Brandon makes, but if she were to out earn him would that be unacceptable? Yes, I used the word allow because I get the impression if Brandon said no you can't x,y,z Michael would do as he said. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

Working at a hospital isn't the only option for nursing. You could work at a doctor's office or urgent care facility. You could work at a public health department (mostly immunizations, but would probably require talking about birth control and family planning). You could also work at a nursing home or rehab facility. You could be a school nurse, too. 

I think there is a good chance that most of Michael's AA/AS credits would count toward a bachelor's degree. She might only need 2-3 years to finish a BSN depending on how many credits she took.

She's going to need to get more income streams going, however, if she wants to pay her way through. 

• Upvote 17

Or they could take special-needs people or elderly people into their home and be their in-home caregivers. Of course Michaela would be doing most of the work, but Brandon could be there sometimes; he may need training to administer meds or do lifts and transfers. Of course then they may have to take turns going to church, and need respite workers to take over if they want to go on vacation together. This could be very interesting.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Casserole said:

Nursing school could mean a CNA type certificate program (similar to Abby Duggar) or she could get another associate's degree in an RN program. A lot of hospitals are shifting toward only hiring nurses with a BSN from a 4 year college, but there are other routes to nursing she could be taking that are much cheaper. My local community college has quite the wait list for their 2 year associate RN program. 

I've long thought she is underestimating herself and should be charging much more for her hand sewn crafts. It seems she's barely covering the supply costs. She's doing herself a disservice. Add in the "fame," I'm sure some humpers would be willing to pay even more because it was made by a Bates. She could afford nursing school much sooner if she cashed in on that.  

Abbie Duggar is an LVN, not a CNA. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

LVN = LPN, depends on which state. In Oklahoma (her original license) and Arkansas workers are licensed as an LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse, or some say Licensed Practicing Nurse.) Students don't have to go to college, as this vocation is usually earned at a public Career Technical school or those private tech schools (some call themselves 'college'.)

People sometimes refer to themselves as nurses if they are a CNA. LPNs and RNs, of course, are also called nurses. When Michael says 'nurse' she could be referring to any of them. My guess would be the quickest/lowest level she could earn and be employed as a caretaker in someone's home or possibly nursing home. I'm not sure Brandon would allow her to work at a public hospital or clinic.

I tend to think Brandon is supportive of Michael pursuing her 'nursing.' He was the one who said, when referring to their infertility* that God is saying, "Not now." It could very well be that they rationalize hear god telling them, that this would be a good time for Michael to pursue this interest of hers.

*infertility is my word; I can't remember if Michael and Brandon have actually used that defining term.

Edited by Bobology
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

On 3/10/2019 at 4:15 AM, llucie said:

Also i always thought her second name was Christian, it even appears that way in the bates family blog, but in this post she says its Christan. I always thought it was weird that they had her having two male names when they changed Michal to Michael. Maybe they also changed a letter in Christian at the same time? LOL what a mess 

I have a friend whose name is Christan, pronounced like Kristen. She never uses it because everyone always assumed she was a boy and called her Christian (before meeting her). 

• Upvote 3

Michael's CC degree is from Roane State. It's not clear from this page which degree she actually earned or whether it will transfer, but from how she described it, it *might* be the Associate of Applied Science: Health Sciences. However, it could also be any of the other degrees if she just described it very broadly.

https://www.roanestate.edu/?9095-Health-Sciences-Nursing-and-Medicine

What we do know is that she graduated Summa Cum Laude in the summer of 2016, so she's clearly *capable* of real college work and doing well at it. (Although it looks like she didn't change her name in the system that pulled the grad info after getting married, interestingly. Probably too much hassle.) 

https://www.roanestate.edu/?10717-News-Summer-2016-graduates-announced

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

On 1/26/2019 at 5:27 PM, luv2laugh said:

I feel bad for her because her training was to do nothing except breed. Everyone around her in the cult is taught to breed. All of her many sisters are breeding.  She was never encouraged or allowed the option of anything else. 

The pain she feels must be deep, raw, and lonely. If she asked for help, she would be told to pray. I'm concerned that she may blame herself for some sin.

I am not sure she'd be allowed to try fertility medications or IVF. They probably are considering adoption but perhaps they are saving up the money for it as whether she did IVF or chose to adopt, it's very expensive.

I feel very, very sad for her because she's suffering and no one can relate to her in that environment. It doesn't help that she actually reads and responds to commentators on instagram who constantly ask her if she's pregnant or will adopt...

She spends her days sewing baby blankets for a baby she constantly prays for. It's so sad that it brings me to tears.

Also, right now her husband works for IBLP but we don't know what any of the futures hold for these couples. There's always the small hope that no matter how many years it takes, they'll leave fundamentalism... 

Her sister had some sort of medical intervention in order to have her kids. So maybe she can go that route. But it's super costly. I don't think he gets pas a lot  maybe show money can help them  

I think Michael also like to be busy, organize, and be around bustle. And here she is living a super quiet life. It is sad. 

And it's very true that in their culture, from what I've seen, children are a blessing and the opposite when the Lord doesn't give them to you:

9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.

12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.

14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

1 Timothy 2:9-2:15  

They literally have a passage that stated a woman is saved through having kids.

Poor Michael  

I would feel horrible if a child was adopted into the IFB culture. The worst lottery ever  

I do wonder if they adhere so intently to all that blanket training, will breaking, baby beating stuff. I hope not. The first gen Duggar babies always seemed a bit too complacent and maybe even scared at times. But not as much the second generation for any of these kids. And I don't think they go after the little ones in the family like Jeb and Callie and Josie Duggar as much as they did the older. 

The second generation mostly seem pretty well adjusted and content and to have their needs met. Fingers crossed that some of the more ruthless practices have been tempered.  

• Upvote 1

CNAs may call themselves nurses because they do some work that nurses traditionally did. But CNA is Certified Nursing Assistant.  LPN and RN are actually classified as nurses. (Sorry if someone said this already) CNA can not inject medicine. LPNs can. I know it varies by location but LPN can make pretty good money for the level of their profession. CNA can too, but not as much as LPN usually. Again, depends on area/state and location of work. Where I am at hospital CNAs are paid well.

Many LPNs are per diem or private duty. That allows flexible schedules. Again area variations. I wonder if Michael will go that route or become a RN or even CNA. Living near Chicago will give her significant opportunity, no mater which route she goes. I know it must be hard being at home all day waiting for him to come in. She has her business, but she probably wants more.

Edited by TatiFish9
Errors
  • Thank You 1

Would IBLP approve of Michael working as a nurse?

I think that Michael Bates is very bright and can do anything she wants to do. I think Brandon supports her in going to nursing school. I wonder if she will go the Abbie Duggar route?

Edited by luv2laugh

I don't follow the Duggars that closely - does Abbie still work? 

I think most of all Michael can be very determined and has a strong sense of discipline, so she could probably pursue a nursing degree without many difficulties. Yet I'm not sure if her strict belief system (she seems to be very fundie) would really allow her to work in that field. She would get in contact with so many different people that I could easily picture her being pretty overwhelmed. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, ophelia said:

I don't follow the Duggars that closely - does Abbie still work? 

No, she quit her job to plan her wedding. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

No, she quit her job to plan her wedding. 

But she did register as a nurse in Arkansas and she said she would start working again after the wedding. It is unclear if she working at the moment.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

She also went on a mission after quitting the job, and presumably began planning her move to the house she's sharing with John David. That would take some time. 

It's contextually sensible; she isn't assuming she will have a Michelle Duggar level of fertility requiring her to do nothing but bake babies, and this also allows her to continue on these missions as at least a somewhat useful person to have around.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

But she did register as a nurse in Arkansas and she said she would start working again after the wedding. It is unclear if she working at the moment.

She kept repeating she wanted to “keep her license “, JD parroted the same line in a solo talking head. It did not sound like she would be working, it came off as doing enough to maintain her nursing license. I don’t know what that entails though.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

I am a retired RN and still maintain an active license. In CA, I need to complete 30 hours of nursing Ed every 2 years and pay a fee in order to maintain active status. No great burden. I’m sure an LPN license in AR would have similar requirements.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 11

I watched the episode and I swear JD did not say she would work. He said something along the lines of "I support Abbie serving and helping others" and confirmed she kept her license. 

Soooo that could be some sort of out, as in they can go on missions and do nursing work, but she won't be a working nurse at home. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

I have to say, even if Abbie does not return to work, I'm glad she wants to keep up her certification. It puts her in a much better position than, say, Anna Duggar, who would have no way of supporting herself and kids if something happened to Josh.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I would be very surprised if John David Duggar allowed her wife to work in a real job. Duggar adult children are keeping the fundie way of life. At least, Bates are slightly better in that field, but unfortunately Brandon appears to be more conservative  than Zach Bates or John Webster.

Michael has been married for years. She seems to be closed in an appartment most of the day. She doesn't seem to volunteer. Just cleans the house, sew the blankets, prays and waits for hubby, and shows an over-the-top gratitute if he takes her out for a walk.

I don't know. Maybe she's happy. Maybe Brandon is great. But based on IG and videos, Michael's life looks very solitaire and sad. Loneliness can be good, but not if your only dream is to be a mother.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

1 hour ago, Melissa1977 said:

I would be very surprised if John David Duggar allowed her wife to work in a real job. Duggar adult children are keeping the fundie way of life. At least, Bates are slightly better in that field, but unfortunately Brandon appears to be more conservative  than Zach Bates or John Webster.

Michael has been married for years. She seems to be closed in an appartment most of the day. She doesn't seem to volunteer. Just cleans the house, sew the blankets, prays and waits for hubby, and shows an over-the-top gratitute if he takes her out for a walk.

I don't know. Maybe she's happy. Maybe Brandon is great. But based on IG and videos, Michael's life looks very solitaire and sad. Loneliness can be good, but not if your only dream is to be a mother.

Michaela is saving money to go to Nursing School, I doubt she would ever think to do that without Brandon's approval.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

Brandon sisters work, so he is used to see women having a career around him, and he seems pretty close with them. Also Michaella is such a peoples pleaser i dont see her stating she wants to be a nurse publically if this wasnt an already discussed and aproved by her husband decision.

• Upvote 5

On 3/21/2019 at 2:09 PM, backyard sylph said:

She also went on a mission after quitting the job, and presumably began planning her move to the house she's sharing with John David. That would take some time. 

I said this in the Duggar thread, but she said she quit her job 2 months before going on missioncation, per the show she didn't choose a dress until 25 days before the wedding, and she was moving from a bedroom in her parents' house to a house JD has had set up for years - that hardly takes 2 months of planning, especially when her fiance has a plane to take her whole bedroom full of stuff across country.

She had a nice 2 month holiday, and I don't begrudge her that, but it's ridiculous to suggest she needed that time off, when women move across country and plan weddings while holding down jobs every day of the week.

Edited by Lurky
SOTDRT is infectious
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic