IGNORED

Where in the World Is Doug Philips (Who Is a Tool)? Part 8

Coconut Flan

Hmmm. I have a friend who follows Pinsent tailoring and yesterday they were posting a fan sketch to Insta with the hashtag "gaystagram" along with "fop" and "dandy". How far we are from the holy and separate days of yore.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Leftitinmysnood said:

Hmmm. I have a friend who follows Pinsent tailoring and yesterday they were posting a fan sketch to Insta with the hashtag "gaystagram" along with "fop" and "dandy". How far we are from the holy and separate days of yore.

Do they even realize how much they are still emulating Doug Phillips? 

16 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

What does Matt Chancey actually do? Like, for money? Do they have family money or something? I know that Jennie has a pattern business, but... They just never seem to struggle or have to beg, like some fundies. 

As of June 2018, he still seems to have been involved with the Persecution Project in the Sudan:

I'm actually surprised they were all allowed to stay in SA for so many years without having any real immigration status or employment/employers there.

AFAIK, Matt Chancey's work was not in that country but elsewhere in Africa.

At one point Matt Chancey had a Web page talking about how he was a "business consultant " helping people make contacts in Africa so that they could take advantage of economic opportunities there.  The whole thing had a very "Let's exploit the Africans " vibe about it that made me cringe while reading it. 

Per his LinkedIn, he's also still president of Building Kids (the secondhand Lego business). 

On 8/10/2018 at 9:58 AM, DomWackTroll said:

What does Matt Chancey actually do? Like, for money? Do they have family money or something? I know that Jennie has a pattern business, but... They just never seem to struggle or have to beg, like some fundies. 

They don't beg directly.  Matt was making pretty good bank from the Persecution Project at one point and is still listed as a director.  He can "direct" from the States, I suppose.  Not sure how much he was skimming off the top of the LEGO for poor African kids charity gig.  I can't remember what he was supposed to be doing in Kenya while Jennie was running her sweatshop but I'm sure he got money from some non-profit or other.

Can anyone find that photo of Matt Chancey sitting in a chair making like Allan Quartermain while two "natives" bristling with guns flank his neo-colonialist arse?  I think it was before they overstayed their welcome in Kenya.

It must be at least a decade old now, and the sheer volume of "WTF" contained in that photo still overwhelms me.

For any newbies who missed it, that was Matt's entry to an Old Spice "Man of the Year" online contest. Doug mobilized the VF army to stuff the votes for him, and because of that, Matt won. Old Spice was not particularly happy to be represented by a misogynist homophobe, and never held that contest again.

Article on the debacle, worth the click:

https://www.adweek.com/agencyspy/who-is-matthew-chancey-old-spices-man-of-the-year/3478

5 hours ago, AnnaSofia said:

For any newbies who missed it, that was Matt's entry to an Old Spice "Man of the Year" online contest. Doug mobilized the VF army to stuff the votes for him, and because of that, Matt won.

We put up a good fight over at Datalounge, but just couldn't get enough votes to beat Doug/Matt. I stewed in bitterness for four long years... then got my sweet, sweet revenge. 

Oh yes, the Old Spice business.  It predated my time at FJ, but I was around for DWT's thread above.   Also remember that photo.  Lord Rufus, that photo is all kinds of WTF.

I know that a couple of Jennie's patterns were picked up by Simplicity years ago.  That has probably racked up a tidy amount of coin over the years.  

4 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

I know that a couple of Jennie's patterns were picked up by Simplicity years ago.  That has probably racked up a tidy amount of coin over the years.  

Really? I totally missed that.

And honestly, her stuff sucks, IMHO. I could never figure out how a supposed professional, making clothes from her favorite era, can't seem to come up with a regency costume that doesn't look like a freakin' nightgown.

1430308029078921363.jpg

I realize it's not the most flattering period of fashion (certainly not my favorite), but it CAN be done.

19 minutes ago, AnnaSofia said:

I realize it's not the most flattering period of fashion (certainly not my favorite), but it CAN be done.

I'm having a flashback to "Regency Emily" squealing about persecution because Walmart shoppers did double-takes at the sight of her.  She used Jennie's Simplicity patterns, cotton and polyester Walmart fabrics, and never, ever, pressed the seams.

Usually people make two basic errors:  Wrong fabrics and wrong undergarments.   The dress fabrics need to drape properly - diaphanous embroidered muslins and silks for evening wear, and cotton, linen, velvet and wool for day-time and active wear. 

In order to look half-way good (and authentic) in Regency dress your bosom needs propping up almost to your chin.  In other words - corsets! 

I recommend Prior Attire's video on going to the toilet in Victorian dress too. ;)

39 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Usually people make two basic errors:  Wrong fabrics and wrong undergarments.   The dress fabrics need to drape properly - diaphanous embroidered muslins and silks for evening wear, and cotton, linen, velvet and wool for day-time and active wear. 

In order to look half-way good (and authentic) in Regency dress your bosom needs propping up almost to your chin.  In other words - corsets! 

I agree completely. I just spent a lot of time looking through Sarah Jane (of Romantic History and endless Facebook drama) Meister's photos. She does a really good job with most of her stuff, and I think most of it comes down to the undergarments. She's done a lot of posts about corsets and underclothes from various periods, and seems to dress from the skin out. She's also posted about learning proper techniques for different fabrics, and admitted that she didn't always do so when she started sewing. You can definitely see the improvement over the years.

On the other hand, Jennie's stuff rarely looks good to me, even in the promotional photos. The fabrics don't lay right, and it comes off as cheap and poorly tailored.

Well, Justice hasn't updated anything on his CDT hike in about three weeks, but he popped up on Kelcie's IG stories today (he's also in her profile picture, now).

Untitled-1.jpg

Per Twitter, Joshua and Darby Phillips are off to Scotland in 3 weeks, apparently he will be at St. Andrews.

I wonder who’s paying for this stuff? Surely not DPIAT.

47 minutes ago, bea said:

I wonder that too. My parents say both Beall and Doug’s parents have trust funds for the kids? I doubt Joshua recieved a scholarship. Mayhaps Spanky is pitching in, or their could but a trust to Darby from Sproul Sr that she is handing over? I can’t imagine those two working like normal people.

5 hours ago, dripcurl said:

Per Twitter, Joshua and Darby Phillips are off to Scotland in 3 weeks, apparently he will be at St. Andrews.

I followed you lead to Joshua's Twitter account, I didn't realize they are also expecting a baby. :stork-baby: I see it's brifely mentioned in the thread on Baby Bonanza upcoming births, but I rarely look at that thread.  I'm surprised Beall has said nothing.

5 hours ago, bea said:

Could it be a new job for him or both of them? Looks like they're actually moving there:

Since they're going to Scotland maybe they'll have lunch with Jody Hodnett --  bacon sandwiches!

:bacon: :bacon: :bacon:

ETA: Actually, JTits is going to grad school there:

33612288_JTPtoScotland.thumb.png.0e1041b20976107d3d45eb8b4ad48016.png

Just to clarify, JTits is married to Delaney. Darby is her rather awful older sister.

I somehow missed the baby announcement entirely :lost:

Can he be going to grad school without ever having gone to college or is he starting undergrad?

Just curious, is the University of St. Andrews where Prince William went, and where he met Kate?

11 hours ago, dripcurl said:

I wonder that too. My parents say both Beall and Doug’s parents have trust funds for the kids? I doubt Joshua recieved a scholarship. Mayhaps Spanky is pitching in, or their could but a trust to Darby from Sproul Sr that she is handing over? I can’t imagine those two working like normal people.

Beall's family of origin most certainly have no trust funds for her or her children. They have been estranged for many years and do not "cotton" to the Phillips' choices or lifestyle among other things.  As for DPIABRT, I have stated before that is doubtful to me as well.  Howard likely made sure Peggy was well provided for but beyond that I am doubtful and do not think there was that much there to begin with--also six kids and DPIABRT would take any more than the other 5.   Your theory about the Sprouls makes some sense as does, sadly, the real possibility that DPIABRT took a crapload of money dishonestly and somehow kept some of it hidden from Lourdes and others in the downfall of VF.  As for St. Andrew's, I'm sure JTits has saved, can work there, take our loans and Delaney perhaps has been working up through her current with-child state too.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived