IGNORED

Pat Robertson's being Dominated by Gay!

anniebgood

From the Friendly Atheist Files

Pat Robertson said on The 700 Club today that homosexuals have taken over the media and universities, drowning out voices like his that oppose civil rights and basic decency.

image: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/files/2017/04/DominatedGayAgenda.png

“We have given the ground to a small minority,” he said. “You figure, lesbians, one percent of the population; homosexuals, two percent of the population. That’s all. That’s statistically all. But they have dominated — dominated the media, they’ve dominated the cultural shift and they have infiltrated the major universities. It’s just unbelievable what’s being done. A tiny, tiny minority makes a huge difference. The majority — it’s time it wakes up.”

Yes, maybe one day, if those in the Christian majority get their act together, they’ll finally be able to make a serious run for public office. Or get their own TV networks. Or start their own universities.

It’s appalling, really, that LGBT people are allowed to exist in Robertson’s world. How dare they convince people they deserve equal rights?!

When Robertson talks about LGBT people “dominating” the cultural shift, he’s really referring to the fact that people no longer have an automatic revulsion to them. In his world, acting on one’s homosexuality is an unforgivable sin. Outside his bubble, though, more and more people don’t give a damn. Live and let live. Don’t worry what other people do in the privacy of their bedrooms.

The “small minority” that’s gaining ground are really the voices of kindness, tolerance, and inclusion. Christian bigotry isn’t as acceptable as it used to be.

I remember the article I read saying he was expected to make a full recovery. 

Not that I would wish death on anyone, but isn't it time for God to "call him home"?

I thought he was dead but I guess I was wrong.  But I seriously question his percentages of 1% and 2% of the population.  Maybe he's looking at those percentages because not everyone is out?

I had heard he was going to recover but seriously couldn't imagine he would be back at it so soon at his age. Seriously he must literally eat, sleep, and breathe hate. I do think it would be best for everyone including Robertson himself if he were "called home". 

@Briefly,  the right-wing always likes to cite figures of 1% or even 1/2% of the population is gay.  It's less odious to hate a smaller percentage of the people.

Long before his stroke - his family needed to get him off the air and into private life only. He has clearly passed the point in his life in which he should be making public pronouncements.

The chain of succession when the baton is finally passed will be interesting. Pat Robertson's son Gordon is so much calmer and milder in his demeanor (no doubt equally toxic beliefs) that I do wonder who will continue to tune in. I am curious about the age demographics of 700 club viewers. 

15 hours ago, Briefly said:

I thought he was dead but I guess I was wrong.  But I seriously question his percentages of 1% and 2% of the population.  Maybe he's looking at those percentages because not everyone is out?

I can never figure out how fundies are convinced that LGBT people are a degenerate minority whose claims for equality shouldn’t even be taken seriously while also believing that hordes of LGBT people are conspiring against them in the media, academia, and the legal systems. I guess it’s the same mindset that tells them that Mexicans are lazy moochers who just want to come to the US to get welfare while also believing that Mexicans are so hardworking that they take jobs away from white native born Christians.

19 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Briefly,  the right-wing always likes to cite figures of 1% or even 1/2% of the population is gay.  It's less odious to hate a smaller percentage of the people.

What he fails to see or maybe he does, are us LGBTQ+ allies.  Many of us are standing up for what is right.   We are joining forces nowadays.  I don't have to be a black male to support their cries of " stop fucking shooting us willy nilly" , I don't have to to be trans to accept a MTF in " our" bathrooms.  And, those folks back me as a woman.  Which is really cool because even MLK didn't think his wife should march.  Yes, things are changing.  For the better, imo.  It's all about equality now, as long as you are not hurting anyone.  Sorry assholes, you've had the stage for hundreds of years.  We're  ( most of us humans) over it.  Make like Jesus assholes and be inclusive and understanding.   

17 minutes ago, zeebaneighba said:

I really don't think that will be an issue...

Even Satan doesn't want him!

20 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

I grew up hearing these stats, and could never buy it, even as a kid.  I have spent my entire life in the Seattle area (and in more recent years have spent more time in the art, modeling, and music scene here) where I feel like a 1/3rd of the people I come across identify on somewhere on the queer spectrum.

http://news.gallup.com/poll/6961/what-percentage-population-gay.aspx

According this article, the 1-2% stats are based on the 2000 US Census, but it sounds like other studies collectively indicate between 5-10% (which seems like an accurate national average to me)

Conservatives also have to take Gen Z and that being queer does not always fit into a cisgender, strictly opposite-sex oriented box into account. 

Archived