IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 33: In touch with gossip

samurai_sarah

I even wonder about the older Duggar kids' education or lack there of. How much schooling do they actually get done in a day? We all know they use the brainwashing, watered down, bare minimum curriculum. There's no telling what those poor kids are learning. I'm sure it is babysitting 10w and cooling 101.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may be a small view into what Josie is learning, but it appears she just finished writing these by context and the pencil, but it still seems off. It is so weird as I personally, know a child, who was born at about 28 weeks, who was also born the same month as Josie. Josie is actually just a few weeks older. I know, every week makes a huge difference this early, but it is startling how different the two children appear to be. The child I know, did have some extra help, but their parents have made sure they had access to any help their child needed or may need in the future. The school work Josie is showing is very far below what I have recently seen from the child I know. In fact, the child I know, was doing this kind of work two years ago.

I know how different premie children can be from one another and a few weeks does change things, but access to outside help and things can be so important, and what troubles me, is that more then likely, the Duggars will never get Josie the extra help she needs to keep up with her peers. She is behind her peers, the work is behind, that is fine if she needs to take more time to catch up, but I wish I could have faith, the Duggars were actually doing the best they can to get Josie the best help for her needs and education. But so far, she seems to be getting the one size fits all approach they have done before :(

4 minutes ago, JillRodsEyeliner said:

I even wonder about the older Duggar kids' education or lack there of. How much schooling do they actually get done in a day? We all know they use the brainwashing, watered down, bare minimum curriculum. There's no telling what those poor kids are learning. I'm sure it is babysitting 10w and cooling 101.

well we know that the older kids were doing mostly computer work at one time and Jessa was the one that was overseeing that. 

The Duggar parents don't value education. They use a shitty canned curriculum and the IBLP/ATI shit. There are MUCH better curricula out there, but most of them take more effort on the part of parents. The one I used with my kids was relatively inexpensive but I was the one who had to plan out the lessons, figure out what kid was going to do what assignment (not easy with 5 kids on different levels) and plan accordingly. I remember it would take me most of a Saturday just to plan the following week's assignments for each child. Then, during school-time, I was pretty much at the mercy of the kids...this one could work fairly independently, this one needed one on one time with mom, that one had to be superglued to his chair (kidding, I'm kidding) and the pre-schoolers needed to be supervised. I don't see how homeschooling could be done well with that many kids. It was the right choice for my kids at the time and I really wish I could have kept homeschooling them but life had different plans. However, dealing with my 5 (3 bio, 2 step) was pretty much my limit. 

I have to say the stunting of their children's intellectual growth and development is for me one of the saddest things about the Duggars.  I legit get a little teary eyed thinking about it. I dream of books, lots and lots of books for those kids. 

ATI/IBLP in general and the Duggars in particular don’t seem to like the idea of abstract thinking, presumably because doing so could lead to questioning in areas of religion. This extends to the weird way Gothard interprets the Bible, in which it is treated like a black and white book of rules no different than a student handbook at a high school. The entire point of the Duggar brand of homeschooling from blanket training to Wisdom booklets is all about discouraging curiosity and stunting intellectual development in the name of creating compliant fundie clones. It makes no difference to JB and Michelle whether Josie (or any of their kids, for that matter) are proficient in literacy or numeracy; as long as she can cook, clean, and have babies, it makes no difference towards her future as to whether she can read, write, or count.

I think the genesis of this mindset comes from the beginnings of the Bible college movement in the late nineteenth century. Bible colleges were developed as a fundamentalist Protestant response to the influence of evolution and especially higher Biblical criticism in the elite seminaries of the northeast. Rather than encourage academic study of the Bible like mainstream universities, Bible colleges were intended to provide a practical education about how to spread conservative doctrine in wider society without questioning those doctrines that had been designated as the “fundamentals” of Protestant Christianity. This is why Bible colleges offer programs in seemingly bizarre things like Christian aviation and Christian auto repair. If intellectual inquiry is not part of the curriculum at a Bible college, then what you end up with is the crudest form of sola scriptura, a la ATI.

2 hours ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I have to say the stunting of their children's intellectual growth and development is for me one of the saddest things about the Duggars.  I legit get a little teary eyed thinking about it. I dream of books, lots and lots of books for those kids. 

Yep. As a life long lover of learning, I’m so sad that kids born into this cult don’t receive the education they deserve. 

For a cult who spews things like ‘that baby you aborted could have cured cancer’, they don’t let their kids become the kind of people who could cure cancer. It’s heartbreaking 

1 hour ago, Cleopatra7 said:

The entire point of the Duggar brand of homeschooling from blanket training to Wisdom booklets is all about discouraging curiosity and stunting intellectual development in the name of creating compliant fundie clones. It makes no difference to JB and Michelle whether Josie (or any of their kids, for that matter) are proficient in literacy or numeracy; as long as she can cook, clean, and have babies, it makes no difference towards her future as to whether she can read, write, or count.

Don't forget about photographing their names in their well written, award winning, totally awesome, precious, sweet books, totally!

10 hours ago, Mayluka said:

I posted in the last thread about how the Duggars’ friend, Krista, had argued in her Instagram story against Lori Alexander’s post. Krista has now written a blog post on the topic and shows how the verses Lori used were completely taken out of context to further Lori’s own agenda of having women stay at home.

https://throughtheconcrete.com/2018/04/07/ladies-your-it-is-not-your-life-purpose-to-marry-and-have-children/ 

From a solid atheists perspective, I have to say that is the most logical explanation of the bible, how it came to be and why shit needs to be taken in context that Ive ever read. AND! It was short and to the point! I like her. I like her more if thats directed at that horrid Lori woman!

5 hours ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

My feelings exactly. Michelle and Jim Bob can afford the very best for the kids in home school...and they don't use it. Not sure if it's because they both want the kids forever sheltered, that they don't care or are lazy. Those kids are the ones who will be paying for a crappy education later in life. 

My son is in 4th grade and still doesn't write better than a 1st grader. BUT he's also got ADHD and sensory issues where he rushes, and hates the feel of standard pencils, etc so he fell behind. He's doing lots better but he has OT two days a week for the last 2 years too. Being in a public school gives him access to the right professionals who know what to look for and how to teach him in a way he can use.

So I watched a mini "doc" on gothard, and I didn't know the main reason for that education program is because he had to repeat either first or second grade like 2 or 3 times so I feel like that is predominant through the Duggars among others using this program. 

People who are educated grow up, meet people, explore options and move on. They may or may not (generally the case) be exact clones of their parents. JB could/would not educate his kids because he, for whatever perverted reason, could and can not risk losing control over those offspring.

I wonder if JB even knows that he is controlling?  Does his ego even allow him to entertain the thought that his kids might think differently than him?  Or might WANT to think differently?  In his head there is only one way....his way!

5 minutes ago, Timetostoplurking said:

I wonder if JB even knows that he is controlling?  Does his ego even allow him to entertain the thought that his kids might think differently than him?  Or might WANT to think differently?  In his head there is only one way....his way!

well he' s obviously getting a small lesson in that now with Jinger and Jill wearing pants and Jill's nose ring. I really want to know how much he is raging about those little changes after pounding skirts only into the girls head. I Hope some of the kids send the grands to school then Jim Bob really would throw a fit. 

2 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

well he' s obviously getting a small lesson in that now with Jinger and Jill wearing pants and Jill's nose ring. I really want to know how much he is raging about those little changes after pounding skirts only into the girls head. I Hope some of the kids send the grands to school then Jim Bob really would throw a fit. 

Depends on whether JB was even the one pushing for skirts-only in the first place. It's possible he couldn't care less and Michelle was the driving force behind that particular rule.

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

Depends on whether JB was even the one pushing for skirts-only in the first place. It's possible he couldn't care less and Michelle was the driving force behind that particular rule.

I always got the feeling it was more Michelle on the skirts thing.  Modesty I'm sure JB pushed, but the skirts part seemed to be Michelle.  

It makes me so angry to see the lack of care that is put into their education. I would say they're fairly intelligent from what I've seen; they took a ton of time out of book learning to learn how to build TTH and actually picked up a lot of those skills to use for their own businesses so they are capable of mastering something they've studied. I can only imagine what they could've done with proper educational materials, a structured learning environment (not a bash against homeschooling, just their particular setup), and a balanced education in all of the subjects and with CORRECT information. Maybe it's dramatic, but this to me is a form of abuse. The children have no say in whether they want to go to homeschool and they are subjected to whatever learning materials the "teacher" sees fit. The adults in this situation completely control and there's not really anything at this point the kids can do about it. Not that they would, since they've been brainwashed to believe schools are 100% evil.

I've long been of the opinion that Michelle is not only the force behind the skirts thing, but that she 'feels bad' about her bikini wearing, cheerleading past and feels like she's not good enough so she (and her family) are good enough all the time the can assure their place in heaven.  Which is a screwed up way of seeing God in my world.  I personally am a 'faith by grace' person and the reason I  need Jesus is because I can never be good enough.  However, I've met my share and have been in the past of the "I have to do everything just right and be perfect so God will let me in heaven" variety.  (otherwise known as Legalism)

I bet they don't even know they are controlling, at least in some ways, or at least when the kids were little.  Its common for parents to not realize their kids might not be like them.  (I was shocked when. friend commented that my kid might not like Harry Potter, it had honestly never occurred to me).  The issue is how do you react when you realize it.  Most parents get on board with their kid as their kid is.  The Duggars determined they should MAKE their kids like them.

I didn't see this posted but kudos to Jeremiah (4th place!) and James for participating in this 5k race on St. Patrick's Day. It's nice to see some of them cultivating their own interests and caring more about fitness.

https://runsignup.com/Race/Results/?raceId=44761#resultSetId-108354

Also adding fuel to the likely non-existent fire, Lauren Caldwell also participated.

2 minutes ago, Suz8710 said:

I didn't see this posted but kudos to Jeremiah (4th place!) and James for participating in this 5k race on St. Patrick's Day. It's nice to see some of them cultivating their own interests and caring more about fitness.

Also adding fuel to the likely non-existent fire, Lauren Caldwell also participated.

LOL at Lauren comment. I always wonder if we'll get double cousins. Kendra Ben and Lauren all have younger siblings. as does Anna. I know Jeremy has siblings but I am not sure of age or martial status. 

25 minutes ago, Suz8710 said:

The Lauren Caldwell in the race is listed as 17 years old. I think Siah's Lauren is 19, isn't she?

Edit:  My bad! I can't keep all the Laurens straight. :) 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived