IGNORED

Fakebook, Suckerberg, Cambridge Analytica and Related Shenanigans

AmazonGrace

So Jack Dorsey stated there will be no political ads on Twitter.

Pssst, Jack, I think you should start with this guy:

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is why nobody should be using Facebook.

Trump hosted Zuckerberg for undisclosed dinner at the White House in October

President Donald Trump hosted a previously undisclosed dinner with Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook board member Peter Thiel at the White House in October, the company told NBC News on Wednesday.

The meeting took place during Zuckerberg’s most recent visit to Washington, where he testified before Congress about Facebook’s new cryptocurrency Libra. Zuckerberg also gave a speech at Georgetown University the week before, detailing his company’s commitment to free speech, and its resistance to calls for the company to crack down on misinformation in political ads.

Facebook confirmed the meeting to NBC News on Wednesday.

“As is normal for a CEO of a major U.S. company, Mark accepted an invitation to have dinner with the President and First Lady at the White House,” a Facebook spokesperson said in an emailed statement.

A source familiar with the dinner told NBC News that Thiel was also present. It is unclear why the meeting was not made public or what Trump, Zuckerberg and Thiel discussed.

The White House declined to comment.

The dinner was the second meeting between Zuckerberg and Trump in a month. Zuckerberg also met with the president in the Oval Office during a September visit to the capital.

Thiel, one of seven Facebook board members, is one of the few outspoken conservative figures in Silicon Valley. A major donor to Trump’s campaign, Thiel is also the chairman of Palantir, a private data technology company that has become one of the largest recipients of government defense contracts with the United States government since Trump took office.

Thiel famously bankrolled an invasion of privacy lawsuit that effectively bankrupted the gossip website Gawker. Zuckerberg’s speech at Georgetown, which he delivered on the same trip in which he met with Trump, was titled “Standing for Voice and Free Expression.”

The Facebook chief is not the only high-profile tech executive to have met with the president recently. On Wednesday, Trump and Apple CEO Tim Cook toured an Apple manufacturing plant in Austin.

Trump and Cook have maintained a very public working relationship as the Apple CEO seeks to keep Apple products exempt from the president’s tariffs on China.

• Love 2

On 11/21/2019 at 2:39 AM, fraurosena said:

This is why nobody should be using Facebook.

No Facebook for me, hasn't been for years. No Instagram, Twitter, or YouTube channel either. I don't think I'm that special to have to broadcast every detail of my life, plus I'm private anyway. Sometime I even cringe at the extremely personal information disclosed on FJ. Social media has spawned a narcissistic-like culture of me-me-me, all the time me.  Not to mention that actual human relations suffer because people actually prefer electronic human relations. I know the clock will not turn back, social media is here to stay, but I'm happy to live without it. 

• Upvote 2

• 5 months later...

Why I despise fakebook and refuse to sign up for an account, reason #539,023. Suckerberg says that Twitler can lie, but they draw the line on cursing. What a fucking moronic policy.

• WTF 4
  • I Agree 1

• 1 month later...

The North Face has had enough of Fuckerberg's horseshit and is pulling advertising on his platform

The North Face on Friday became the highest-profile company to join an advertising boycott against Facebook.

The outdoor recreation company tweeted that it would join the campaign launched earlier in the week by several civil rights organizations.

"Effective June 19th, The North Face is halting all activity and U.S. paid advertising with Facebook until stricter policies are put in place to stop racist, violent or hateful content and misinformation from circulating on the platform," a spokesperson told The Hill in a statement.

"We know that for too long harmful, racist rhetoric and misinformation has made the world unequal and unsafe, and we stand with the NAACP and the other organizations who are working to #StopHateforProfit."

Edited by 47of74
  • Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

No surprise. Despite all the repug crying and screaming, fakebook actually gives them a big break:

• Disgust 3
  • Thank You 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So many of the BTs are crying and screaming that social media sites are biased against them. Um, no. Take a look at this:

• WTF 5

Many of the memes I post on this site are ones that would either be labeled as "false" or send me to Facebook jail if it has anything to do with Nazis or the KKK.

• 1 month later...

Get out the popcorn

The Federal Trade Commission and a coalition of attorneys general from 48 states and territories filed two separate antitrust lawsuits against Facebook on Wednesday. 

The lawsuits target two of Facebook’s major acquisitions: Instagram and WhatsApp. 

Both are seeking remedies for the alleged anticompetitive conduct that could result in requiring Facebook to divest the two apps.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

• 5 weeks later...

I'm sure it's just a coincidence. Suuuuuuuure.

image.png.925c4b38a923030b654631453edbf501.png

• Upvote 14

This was written before fuck face got booted from Twitter but it explains why social media companies cannot be left off the hook.

Besides President Trump himself, a portion of the responsibility for this attack on our democracy also rests on the shoulders of Jack Dorsey, Twitter's chief executive, and to a lesser extent, on Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg and other tech executives whose platforms have allowed Trump and his allies and supporters to spread malicious untruths about the 2020 election.

Facebook and YouTube both removed Trump's video addressing supporters earlier Wednesday, in which he urged them to go home but reiterated his debunked claims about election fraud. Twitter initially restricted retweets and disabled likes and replies to the video, but later removed it along with several other tweets. Then for the first time, Twitter locked Trump's account for 12 hours and said it might be banned altogether -- which stopped short of a call from the NAACP president, issued through a spokesperson, to ban his account entirely.

All of these actions come too late. One reason that things got so out of hand in the first place is because Twitter didn't shut Trump's account down sooner. I warned even before Trump took office that the way he won the 2016 presidential election was largely by sharing information that was untrue on Twitter. The platform, of course, allowed Trump to bypass the traditional media, which would have fact checked him, and make claims that were patently false. Trump continued to do this throughout his presidency. And because no one was willing to shut him down (@jack, I'm looking at you), he only became more emboldened.

Social networks should have held Trump to the same standards as other users from the start. The first few times he shared mistruths or used abusive language, his posts should have been immediately removed and he should have been issued warnings. If he then continued to share misinformation or hate, his accounts should have been permanently suspended. If this had happened, our Capitol might never have come under siege.

I want to see Jack, Zuck, and a lot of other social media executives hauled before Congress and asked to explain themselves, and for it to be public too.

• Upvote 7

15 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Social networks should have held Trump to the same standards as other users from the start. The first few times he shared mistruths or used abusive language, his posts should have been immediately removed and he should have been issued warnings. If he then continued to share misinformation or hate, his accounts should have been permanently suspended. If this had happened, our Capitol might never have come under siege.

The excuse that Twitter used, was:

"Our public interest framework exists to enable the public to hear from elected officials and world leaders directly. It is built on a principle that the people have a right to hold power to account in the open." 

Ok, fine. If that's your policy, go for it. 

Except... as an elected official, Trump had an official account that he could use in his official capacity. That account is @POTUS. Trump was not tweeting from that account though. He always used his personal account @DonaldJTrump. Ergo, he was not tweeting in his capacity as an elected official. And that means Twitter could have enacted the policies it uses for personal accounts and they should have banned him years ago.

• Upvote 10

3 hours ago, fraurosena said:

The excuse that Twitter used, was:

"Our public interest framework exists to enable the public to hear from elected officials and world leaders directly. It is built on a principle that the people have a right to hold power to account in the open." 

Ok, fine. If that's your policy, go for it. 

Except... as an elected official, Trump had an official account that he could use in his official capacity. That account is @POTUS. Trump was not tweeting from that account though. He always used his personal account @DonaldJTrump. Ergo, he was not tweeting in his capacity as an elected official. And that means Twitter could have enacted the policies it uses for personal accounts and they should have banned him years ago.

I'm trying to figure out how to express what I'm feeling and to make a coherent argument that rises above "the people can't handle the right to hold power to account in the open".

Yes, of course that is an important right.  But what we actually see happen, either instead of, or in addition to, the "holding power to account", is that the immensely powerful and largely unrecognized strength of propaganda comes into play, and ordinary citizens are fooled into believing what the powerful one wants them to believe regardless of actual truthiness.

While the right-left bias of even the most neutral news media is unwanted, the context and interpretation they provide, not to mention the fact-checking done by professional news media, really does seem to keep that kind of mass indoctrination down to a low simmer.

I guess I would say that either a better way to allow direct "hold power to account" interactions needs to be invented, one that takes into account and reigns in the propaganda factor, or we just actually don't merit this kind of direct access at this point in history.  The positive just doesn't seem to outweigh the negative, for me.

• Upvote 3

Fakebook needs better content moderators:

image.png.057c622d81797a308ae4f3997d88ee0a.png

• Upvote 7

19 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Fakebook needs better content moderators:

Definitely. The last dozen bot accounts I’ve reported (all in the last week) have been determined “not to go against our community standards.” ?

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 4

3 hours ago, Smash! said:

The account has been suspended now. For a week. :pb_rollseyes:

• Thank You 4

Hi everyone - FYI that I edited the title.  I know it was just an abbreviation but some of us have FJ up at work and having part of the original title showing in a browser tab is not good so I just spelled out Cambridge Analytica in full.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

• 4 months later...

Zuckbook just announced this.

Facebook (FB) on Friday plans to announce new rules for world leaders who use its platform that could limit what politicians can get away with posting, a source familiar with the plan told CNN Business. The change comes after Facebook took the unprecedented step of suspending then-President Donald Trump from its platforms in January. 

Politicians have typically been given leeway because Facebook operated on the assumption that their posts were newsworthy and part of the public debate. As a result, the company did not apply its regular rules to their posts. But now Facebook will no longer assume newsworthiness for the posts of world leaders, the source said.

However, the company will not be ending its newsworthiness exception entirely. The company will continue to use the exception, according to the source, but, in another significant change, will begin explicitly disclosing when the exception has been applied.

They’re not going to fact check politicians but I suppose it’s something that they’re not going to let GQP members use the site for virtual klan rallies. 

Edited by 47of74
  • Upvote 4

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Fakebook, Suckerberg, Cambridge Analytica and Related Shenanigans