IGNORED

Fakebook, Suckerberg, Cambridge Analytica and Related Shenanigans

AmazonGrace

I see Fuckerberg had to kiss up to Fuck Face after the election;

In the days following Donald Trump’s election victory over Hillary Clinton, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg placed a secret, previously unreported call to the president-elect during which, sources told BuzzFeed News, he congratulated the Trump team on its victory and successful campaign, which spent millions of dollars on advertising with Facebook.

The private call between Zuckerberg and Trump, which was confirmed by three people familiar with the conversation, is just one in a series of private endorsements from Facebook employees of the Trump campaign’s ad efforts on the platform. The company declined to comment on the call. The White House press office did not respond to a request for comment.

While Facebook has been reluctant to publicly acknowledge how well Trump used its social network to reach voters, it has celebrated the Republican presidential candidate’s campaign internally as one of the most imaginative uses of the company’s powerful advertising platform. In addition to interviews with Trump campaign staffers and former Facebook employees, BuzzFeed News obtained company presentations and memos that show the social media giant viewed Trump’s campaign as an “innovator” of a fast-moving, test-oriented approach to marketing on Facebook.

These memos and presentations indicate Facebook took the methods it learned from the Trump campaign to further refine a marketing model called “Test, Learn, Adapt” (TLA), which it currently uses to assess its own advertising. These internal documents are a candid recognition by Facebook of the GOP candidate’s advertising success and reveal the degree to which the company views Trump not just as a potential regulator or a source of misinformation, but also, above all, a valued customer.

• Upvote 3

"Facebook says it has uncovered a coordinated disinformation operation ahead of the 2018 midterm elections"

Spoiler

Facebook said Tuesday that it had discovered a sophisticated coordinated disinformation operation on its platform involving 32 false pages and profiles engaging in divisive messaging ahead of the U.S. midterm elections.

The social media company that it couldn’t tie the activity to Russia, which interfered on its platform around the 2016 presidential election. But Facebook said the profiles shared a pattern of behavior with the previous Russian disinformation campaign, which was led by a group with Kremlin ties called the Internet Research Agency.

Facebook briefed congressional aides this week. A congressional aide said that there’s no evidence that political candidates were targeted in the new disinformation effort but that pages and accounts sought to spread politically divisive content around social issues.

“It’s clear that whoever set up these accounts went to much greater lengths to obscure their true identities than the Russian-based Internet Research Agency (IRA) has in the past,” Facebook said in a post. “We believe this could be partly due to changes we’ve made over the last year to make this kind of abuse much harder. But security is not something that’s ever done. We face determined, well-funded adversaries who will never give up and are constantly changing tactics. It’s an arms race and we need to constantly improve too.”

In recent weeks, leaders in the administration, including Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats, have said that active campaigns were taking place on social media. The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The pages Facebook disclosed Tuesday promoted an event pegged as a counter-rally to a far-right march scheduled for next weekend in Washington. Facebook said that the urgency of the upcoming rally prompted them to publicize the information, even though it is in the early stages of an investigation.

The company, which identified the pages two weeks ago and has since removed them, said in June that it had found no such activity.

The 32 pages found had between 16 and 18,000 followers. There was no specific evidence that political candidates were targeted, but one account followed an IRA-associated account for a brief period.

“Today’s disclosure is further evidence that the Kremlin continues to exploit platforms like Facebook to sow division and spread disinformation, and I am glad that Facebook is taking some steps to pinpoint and address this activity,” said Sen. Mark R. Warner (D-Va.). “I also expect Facebook, along with other platform companies, will continue to identify Russian troll activity and to work with Congress on updating our laws to better protect our democracy in the future.”

In the run-up to the 2016 election, Russian operatives spread false and divisive messages on issues ranging from gun control to immigration using hundreds of accounts. These messages went viral, reaching over 100 million Americans.

The revelations, which spilled out last fall, led to Congressional hearings and growing calls in Washington to regulate technology giants. A pending bill proposed by Sen. Warner, called the Honest Ads Act, would hold technology companies that publish political ads to the same disclosure responsibilities as broadcasters.

“The attribution is going to get increasingly complex, as adversaries are not going to make sloppy mistakes paying for ads in rubles in this next go-round. Also, the playbook is established, so we are seeing domestic ideologues, economically motivated actors and others come in the replicate it,” said Renee DiResta, an expert on disinformation and research director at New Knowledge, a non-profit advocacy group of technologists that focus on disinformation.

The company has hired thousands of new security staff, partnered with research organizations, and improved its artificial intelligence tools for detecting disinformation.

• Upvote 6

• 4 weeks later...

I guess it makes cynical sense, why would straight people get gay conversion therapy 

• WTF 4

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Now Facebook is promoting its own tablet with a portal meaning you not only give away your browsing  history you given away all privacy you ever had.  A mic is supposed to pic up sounds in an entire room and the camera which keeps scanning the room at I think a full 360. 

Who on Rufus's great green earth would want that in their home? Frigging 1984 and people willingly invite the Russians into their homes.

What is next speakers in all homes and public spaces broadcasting Trump speeches? Scares the crap out of me.

• Disgust 2
  • WTF 4

MSNBC's Kasie Hunt has had enough with the latest crap that has come out of FB:

I've never had a FB account and don't intend to get one. I know they still have data on me, but I don't have to provide it willingly.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

I had a FB account at one time. I kind of felt bullied into it because groups I wanted to participate in assumed everybody was on there. But after November 2016, I had to come off for my own peace of mind. Believe it or not, life goes on! I'm not bored! And I feel smug every time a new FB lack of privacy problem is revealed. I don't miss it at all, no drama.

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't know how that gay tweet got there. my phone's writing window still remembers the  correct one

8 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

I don't know how that gay tweet got there. my phone's writing window still remembers the  correct one

Was it a tweet from further up the page? I've noticed that sometimes when a page on FJ that has fancy stuff* on it loads, the page goes batshit crazy. I sometimes will have a tweet where a YouTube video is supposed to be, or a tweet gets repeated numerous times when I know that something else was originally there. Usually, if I reload the page, everything finds its way "home" again. :pb_smile:

*I'm obviously not an IT professional, so tweets, videos, etc. are "fancy stuff" to me! :laughing-rollingred:

Oh now it looks fine but yesterday when i looked it showed a gay rights tweet instead of the Cadwalladr one

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 2

Cue the meltdown: "Facebook bans far-right leaders including Louis Farrakhan, Alex Jones, Milo Yiannopoulos for being “dangerous”"

Spoiler

Facebook said on Thursday it has permanently banned several far-right figures and organizations including Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan, Infowars host Alex Jones, Milo Yiannopoulos, and Laura Loomer, for being “dangerous,” a sign that the social network is more aggressively enforcing its hate speech policies under pressure from civil rights groups.

Facebook had removed the accounts, fan pages, and groups affiliated with these individuals after it reevaluated the content that they had posted previously, or had reexamined their activities outside of Facebook, the company said. The removal also pertains to at least one of the organizations run by these people, Jones’ Infowars.

“We’ve always banned individuals or organizations that promote or engage in violence and hate, regardless of ideology. The process for evaluating potential violators is extensive and it is what led us to our decision to remove these accounts today,” Facebook said in a statement.

Jones, for example, recently hosted Gavin McInnes, the leader of the Proud Boys, which Facebook designated as a hate figure in December. Yiannopoulos, another alt-right social media star, publicly praised McInnes this year, and Loomer appeared with him at a rally. Jones has been temporarily banned before by Facebook as well as other social media platforms including Twitter.

But Facebook and its counterparts have largely resisted permanent bans, holding that objectionable speech is permissible, so long as it doesn’t bleed into hate. Facebook has also been wary of offending conservatives, who have become vocal about allegations that the company unfairly censors their speech.

The move is likely to be welcomed by civil rights activists, who have long argued that these individuals espouse violent and hateful views and that Silicon Valley companies should not allow their platforms to become a vehicle for spreading them.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

Yeah cue the reich wing freakout

A Facebook spokesperson told CNN Business the company goes through a lengthy process and takes into consideration a number of factors before determining an individual to be "dangerous."

The Facebook spokesperson said such factors include whether the person or organization has ever called for violence against individuals based on race, ethnicity, or national origin; whether the person has been identified with a hateful ideology; whether they use hate speech or slurs in their about section on their social media profiles; and whether they have had pages or groups removed from Facebook for violating hate speech rules.

In some instances, when Facebook bans an individual or organization, it also restricts others from expressing praise or support for them on its platforms, the spokesperson said, adding that the company continues to view such action as the correct approach. That policy may not apply to any or all of the people banned Thursday, however.

The spokesperson added that Facebook will remove groups, pages and accounts created to represent the banned individuals when it knows the individual is participating in the effort.

Ok, Jack.  Your turn now.  Ban Fuckface von Twitler now, please.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

I'm much more curious to see what the reaction to Farrakhan's ban is gonna be.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

• 5 months later...

Somehow this is not so surprising, and yet at the same time, it is.

• WTF 3

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Fakebook, Suckerberg, Cambridge Analytica and Related Shenanigans