IGNORED

Maxwell 20: Fun just dies

samurai_sarah

Mr. Allison and I just had a conversation about the Leavenworth National Cemetery and the Maxwells (yes, kind of creepy, I know). We take our daughters to Leavenworth to assist with the grave decoration for Memorial Day as part of their service as Girl Scouts and as a way to honor the many veterans in our families. We were discussing how easy it would be for them to participate at Leavenworth given their proximity to the cemetery.  It would be such a simple way to honor their grandfather and serve others but I have yet to see the Maxwells there for the ceremony and flag planting service. Hundreds of Scouts of all groups place those flags every year.  It is definitely possible they participate in the ceremony to remove the flags, as we have never been able to be there for it. I guess it just riles me a bit they have this big Memorial Day post every year but don't appear to put in the service to back it up. And don't even get me going on the abortion Memorial Day posts. Last year's post was infuriating. 

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Obviously, the best stuff is wherever there are a lot of Chinese immigrants, and you'll be in better luck if you go to one that focuses on one region (though careful with Hunan - everyone calls their cuisine "Hunan" even though Hunan cuisine is super specific; this is because Mao Zedong was from Hunan Province and was sort of like Toula's dad in My Big Fat Greek Wedding and would claim that literally every Chinese dish was originally from Hunan). The best Chinese food I've ever had outside of China was in a Cantonese dim sum place in Flushing, Queens that became my go-to for Sunday brunch even though it meant being on the subway for an hour. It was that good. 

Best, by far, for me was also in the NY metro area.  Worst was in New England.  Never tried any in the mid-west.

@Dandruff, we went to one memorably bad Chinese restaurant in Vermont when we were there for my daughter's college graduation.  Of course, it was made much worse by being a buffett.  Chinese cuisine doesn't lend itself to being served on a steam table  It needs to be hot out of the wok -that's the only way to get the wok hay (hei) or the breath of the wok  I belong to a wok enthusiast FB group where we're learning about wok cooking from the Wok Guru, Grace Young.  The best Chinese food I've had in quite a while I've made myself.  Her cookbooks on Chinese cooking are outstanding!

7 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

When I was in Poland, we go there after a holiday (in the summer).  The cemeteries/graves were beautiful with the flowers, lights, etc. It makes me wish my country (USA) did more of that - (honoring the ancestors if you will), but nope, here where I am, flowers are allowed for only certain blocks of time and everything has to be cleared so they can mow the lawn easily.

Oh, here is go big or go home. Unfortunately many people cross the line and the graves become kitschy exhibitions - plastic Santas or christmas trees with a candle inside, or even ones that play carols.. I absolutely detest them.

Consider visiting on 1st November some day, cementaries  are amazing then, they are easily the most luminous spot in every town :) 

19 hours ago, purjolok84 said:

I just see this as posturing on Sarah's part, to be honest. It's nice that the girls have an understanding of why they were there, that link with their great-grandfather and and he was 'serving' to provide life and freedom to others (I think I see a lesson hidden here almost ...)

But it seems like if this was the real deal, maybe Sarah could have kept her camera at home for once.

But who would continue to read if they weren’t likely to see evidence of the ABC Girls’ ever-more robotic smiles ???

5 hours ago, AllisonWndrland said:

Mr. Allison and I just had a conversation about the Leavenworth National Cemetery and the Maxwells (yes, kind of creepy, I know). We take our daughters to Leavenworth to assist with the grave decoration for Memorial Day as part of their service as Girl Scouts and as a way to honor the many veterans in our families. We were discussing how easy it would be for them to participate at Leavenworth given their proximity to the cemetery.  It would be such a simple way to honor their grandfather and serve others but I have yet to see the Maxwells there for the ceremony and flag planting service. Hundreds of Scouts of all groups place those flags every year.  It is definitely possible they participate in the ceremony to remove the flags, as we have never been able to be there for it

But if they took the ABC’s to where other little girls were, the ABC’s might want to talk with and participate with, and then they’d get the cooties of sassing their parents and wearing leggings without skirts over them. We all know the drill!  

13 hours ago, AllisonWndrland said:

I guess it just riles me a bit they have this big Memorial Day post every year but don't appear to put in the service to back it up. 

The same can be said for so many fundy families we follow.  Bullshit Patriotism and no social conscience. 

They won't let their sons serve in the military (and certainly not their daughters), and even though they tend to have flexible job schedules (and homeschooled kids) that would make volunteer work easier to accomplish than for many us--they won't lift a finger to help a veteran, feed a homeless person, decorate a cemetery, or anything else that doesn't involved handing someone a damn tract or sending shoeboxes full of junk to perceived "heathens".

James 2:14-26 KJV

14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,

16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?

17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

On 5/28/2018 at 6:25 AM, ScorpiousMalfoy said:

I have a large portion of family photos that have been taken at the cementery, from funerals and casual visits... But it might be also a cultural thing, a Sunday cementery visit is a ritual in most families here and on All Saints Day you go for the views (I do thing in many Catholic countries people are very extra with the graves design and decoration, flower, lights... and us Slavs are no exception). 

It does sound a little creepy now I wrote this but I never thought of this much lol

It doesn't sound creepy at all. In a lot of Pacific Island countries people bury their dead in above-ground tombs in their front yards and the tomb is where they picnic on special occasions, and sometimes just hang out, doing needlework or reading. Needless to say, they also go all-out on decorations.

On 5/26/2018 at 6:28 PM, Eclipse said:

Its Gigi's birthday! Happy Birthday Gigi! Another year of living next to your isolated family. 
<snip>

Oh Sarah. Your parents really failed you and you have nothing resembling an education. Perhaps you would find it easier to write if you understand basic English grammer? Your sentence does not make any sense. 
<snip>
I think you mean Chinese food there Sarah, unless you are Ok with coming off as a racist. 

My favorite is 

She can enter a roomful of strangers, and you would never know it by her incredible conversation skills.

I think I know what she's getting at, that Gigi can carry on a conversation with people she's never met, but that sentence. . .whew. You'd never know she'd entered a room?

I initially thought Sarah meant Gigi was a quiet, soft-spoken person. She enters a room and no one knows!

1 hour ago, bertnee said:

I initially thought Sarah meant Gigi was a quiet, soft-spoken person. She enters a room and no one knows!

I read it the same initially.

So why did Teri’s Mum  “gave her life to Him in her 40’s and has served Him ever since.” Was she a Christian  already but Stevie only defines Christianity when she prescribed to his version?

Just now, johnhugh said:

I read it the same initially.

So why did Teri’s Mum  “gave her life to Him in her 40’s and has served Him ever since.” Was she a Christian  already but Stevie only defines Christianity when she prescribed to his version?

I think that Teri was raised in a Christian home. However, maybe not the right kind of Christian. I do wonder if Steve kind of forced her parents into his brand of Christianity by maybe saying if they don’t they can’t see the kids. 

I think Gigi and her husband picked up a lot of the slack when Teri was battling depression. I bet there were a lot of days Teri couldn’t come out of her room and they were feeding the kids and cleaning the house, especially when Steve was still working outside the home. I doubt they changed to Steve’s version of Christianity. More likely, they did so much for the family that Steve tells himself he brought them to Jesus and that’s why they helped out so much. I always get the idea Teri’s depression was even worse than described and a lot of help was needed for the family to make it through the day. 

Considering the fact she still lives on her own next door, and not with the Maxwells, likely reflects Gigi wants her independence and that Steve can’t control her. I don’t think Steve has ever had much power over anyone other than his wife and kids. Doesn’t Teri have siblings? I doubt they would let Steve control their mom and dad. 

I read it that she could enter a room full of strangers and she was so engaging that you would never know they were strangers.

On 5/29/2018 at 8:38 AM, dripcurl said:

OT but I couldn’t help but share this major faux pas of an app name - it puts Steve’s One Ton Ramp to shame!

Ah yes the old "Pen Island dot net" problem.

Gigi's a secret ninja???

9 hours ago, Jana814 said:

I think that Teri was raised in a Christian home. However, maybe not the right kind of Christian. I do wonder if Steve kind of forced her parents into his brand of Christianity by maybe saying if they don’t they can’t see the kids. 

Definitely not the right kind of Christian.  But Gigi was "saved" before Teri and Steve.

neither of us grew up in Christian homes either.

After our salvation, though, we began to grow as disciples of Christ, through God’s Word. That impacted our lives, teaching us how to have a Christian home, where Christ is part of every fiber of each day.

Both Steve and I went regularly to liberal churches on Sunday mornings as children, not ones where salvation is preached or taught. Our parents did not have personal relationships with Christ. They weren’t saved (born again, converted) until we were grown and no longer living at home.

What a joy it was for Steve and me to be saved early in our marriage and then to see our dads saved years later. Steve’s dad and mom divorced when he was a teen, and after his dad’s salvation, when Steve was in his 30’s, Steve’s dad wrote and said he was sorry for all that went on. At my dad’s salvation, he changed from his Army career being his life to his Lord Jesus being his life. Our moms were saved after we left home but before we were.

https://blog.titus2.com/2017/11/10/growing-up-christian/

There's also a post by Teri that describes how, after they had been saved, they worked for her father on a landscaping job.  This was after they had graduated college but before Steve got a job in his field.  Teri tried to convert her father and he told her brusquely to shut up about God and keep weeding!  But happily they managed to save him later.  Praise be to Rufus.

I think they moved back to Kansas after the PNW and Florida because the family was in free fall due to Teri's depression and they needed Gigi's help with the non-reversal children.

Gigi has gone rogue in the past and gone on cruises with her other daughter.  She's occasionally been spotted in pants too.  I think she would prefer to maintain her independence at all costs.

On 5/23/2018 at 7:56 PM, Palimpsest said:

Mr. P has been known to read selected threads here if I point him in an interesting direction. He'll probably never join us though.  He thinks we are terrifying!  

Tell him that he married the most terrifying one so he should feel right at home :pb_lol:

Mr laPG knows nothing about fj or he would start wondering if there isn't enough craziness in my life.

18 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Tell him that he married the most terrifying one so he should feel right at home :pb_lol:

Who, me?  I'm a perfect angel. :angelic-halofell:

One of the threads he read was when we were taking Mr. Brigid Boyer's arguments apart.  He wasn't sure who was scarier, you for eloquently cutting through the crap or @formergothardite with her polite determination to leave no Patriarchal stone unturned. :laughing-rollingred:

This is sort of how I picture the Maxwells' basement workout sessions: 

Memorial Day Recap is up. All pictures, no grammar fails. 

4 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

One of the threads he read was when we were taking Mr. Brigid Boyer's arguments apart.  He wasn't sure who was scarier, you for eloquently cutting through the crap or @formergothardite with her polite determination to leave no Patriarchal stone unturned. :laughing-rollingred:

I'm politely persistent, not scary! :laughing-jumpingpurple:

11 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Memorial Day Recap is up. All pictures, no grammar fails. 

i didn't take "all pictures" literally at first, so i was excited to think Sarah might have actually proofed her captions while merely skipping the usual intro paragraph.  i went over there and found i was wrong, but still, she's pretty clever to avoid grammatical errors by not having any grammar.  

It looks like they had ribs, hot dogs, possibly hamburgers, pie and whatever they call deviled eggs. They actually had more food options than normal. I am shocked. Also, I really want ribs now.

3 minutes ago, socalrules said:

It looks like they had ribs, hot dogs, possibly hamburgers, pie and whatever they call deviled eggs. They actually had more food options than normal. I am shocked. Also, I really want ribs now.

I am imagining OfJohn and perhaps OfJoseph feeling led by the Lord to bring a lot of food to the party.  OfNathan and OfChris are probably so used to the child-size portions they no longer think it's strange.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived