IGNORED

Maxwell 20: Fun just dies

samurai_sarah

On 5/25/2018 at 8:10 AM, doozeratwork said:

I was raised somewhere between very conservative Christian and fundie, and it is really difficult to explain things to my husband (raised WORLDLY). Some experiences and memories are too hard to put into words. If I need to talk about something fundie related, I always talk to my sisters instead. 

Thank you for saying this. I think sometimes the theological intricacies and myriad rules of fundie-ism sound like "much ado about nothing" when I try to explain them to people. I talk to some of my siblings about it too. 

Somehow reading the Maxwell blog is both funny and sad to me. Funny because I've had similar experiences and been just as ridiculously uptight about life. Sad because the grown-up children are so constrained by their parents, and because their lives seem so dull.  

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somehow reading the Maxwell blog is both funny and sad to me. Funny because I've had similar experiences and been just as ridiculously uptight about life. Sad because the grown-up children are so constrained by their parents, and because their lives seem so dull.  

It's both scary and sad to think that the Maxwells are not an isolated entity and that there are other people out there who have experienced life like they do (and some who are still continuing in that vein!). When I first heard about the Maxwells they seemed more like a bad stereotypical joke - the limiting of food, the clothing, the isolation, everything about them suggested a obvious parody of a fundy family. But as I continued to read, find out more and realise how real they were, well ...

Those old photos they posted for Mother's Day, for example? The photos Before Reversal just radiate sadness and stress. And despite their claims, the photos taken After Reversal are just as devastating. How could those two assholes do that to their children? How could Stevehovah do that to his wife, whom he's supposed to love and cherish like the Church? I would have preferred them to have been the only ones, because no one deserves Maxhell.

I'm happy that for you it's 'had experiences' not currently 'having experiences'; also that you have sisters that you can talk and share with. [emoji173]

2 hours ago, Eclipse said:

GiGi and me on a visit to a little town that I’m patterning my book from.

Oh, @Eclipse — I am ever in your debt for posting that here before I saw it there.

As  was, my eyes crossed and I gave an involuntary shudder and I felt my face twitching. 

Had I read that IN the blog.2tiits milieu, I might have suffered a stroke. 

Poor Sarah is just messing with us now — ain’t she? Someone, say she is....

Nauseated. 

2 hours ago, purjolok84 said:

I'm happy that for you it's 'had experiences' not currently 'having experiences'; also that you have sisters that you can talk and share with. emoji173.png

Thank you! I am so grateful that my parents eventually moved away from the cultish church we were raised in.  We have a very good relationship now and I feel like my younger siblings had a more “normal” upbringing.

And I am very thankful that I have two sisters relatively close in age that I can work through some things with. But damn, I would be really happy if someday I could wear a sleeveless shirt without feeling like a “loose woman.” :my_rolleyes:

Reading this forum has also helped me work through some baggage. But yes, it’s still sometimes hard to put into words the emotions that surface when I remember certain aspects of childhood. Maybe someday I can afford therapy :2wankers:

8 hours ago, doozeratwork said:

And I am very thankful that I have two sisters relatively close in age that I can work through some things with. But damn, I would be really happy if someday I could wear a sleeveless shirt without feeling like a “loose woman.” :my_rolleyes:

You can get there! I totally go to work in tank tops now and feel quite comfortable! Although I haven't quite gotten past the fear of nipples showing through my shirt...

7 hours ago, Lisafer said:

You can get there! I totally go to work in tank tops now and feel quite comfortable! Although I haven't quite gotten past the fear of nipples showing through my shirt...

You guys are the best, seriously. I spent so much of my (short) life feeling like a weirdo no one can relate to. I feel like I’ve made more progress here in the past few months than I have in years by myself. :bigheart:

I’m not a big contributor and I often don’t have a lot to add to the conversation, but I greatly enjoy reading your thoughts and feeling like I’m not quite so unrelatable after all.

Best. Thing. Today. 

Sometimes clickbait is golden. 

Check out #8: Chore bracelet packs!!!

And they’re home-made!

Suck it, Steve!!!

HaHaHaHa

For me, the image of the Maxwells eating Chinese food has the potential for comedy gold because of how bland their usual diet is. I know they were likely getting super-sugary Americanized Chinese food (which is damn good and still Chinese food, just a very distinct subset of it), but what I wouldn't give to watch them at a place that didn't cater to Western palates. 

Memorial Day post up.  I actually thought it was kind of nice, for a change.

I don’t know, I find it vaguely offensive to take photos at a cemetary, unless there is a really good reason to. Maybe its fine, but it strikes me as a bit off.

I just see this as posturing on Sarah's part, to be honest. It's nice that the girls have an understanding of why they were there, that link with their great-grandfather and and he was 'serving' to provide life and freedom to others (I think I see a lesson hidden here almost ...)

But it seems like if this was the real deal, maybe Sarah could have kept her camera at home for once.

I have no issue taking pictures at cemeteries. The only problem I would have if they were yelling and jumping all around the graves. But they seem like they are behaving ok. 

The fact that they went to the cemetery and took pictures doesn’t get under my skin, especially since they were conducting themselves appropriately. What got to me is that while the overall post has a nice enough message, it didn’t strike me as particularly genuine. I got the impression that the girls were parroting lines they’d heard before; the Maxwells are not deep thinkers, so it would surprise me that these young kids came up with such sentiments on their own. (JMO)

I have a large portion of family photos that have been taken at the cementery, from funerals and casual visits... But it might be also a cultural thing, a Sunday cementery visit is a ritual in most families here and on All Saints Day you go for the views (I do thing in many Catholic countries people are very extra with the graves design and decoration, flower, lights... and us Slavs are no exception). 

It does sound a little creepy now I wrote this but I never thought of this much lol

Thank fuck they didn’t mention abortion in the post like they have done in the past.

25 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Thank fuck they didn’t mention abortion in the post like they have done in the past.

That have done that in other Memorial Day posts. 

26 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

That's the first thing I noticed.  I always thought it was so shitty of them to try to co-opt Memorial Day for their anti-abortion message.

At least this year their message was about those who died serving in the military only.

11 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

For me, the image of the Maxwells eating Chinese food has the potential for comedy gold because of how bland their usual diet is. I know they were likely getting super-sugary Americanized Chinese food (which is damn good and still Chinese food, just a very distinct subset of it), but what I wouldn't give to watch them at a place that didn't cater to Western palates. 

I've had Chinese food in the US ranging from excellent to "stuff" served with salad and rolls.  Wonder what sort they had...

Just now, Dandruff said:

I've had Chinese food in the US ranging from excellent to "stuff" served with salad and rolls.  Wonder what sort they had...

When I think about the lobster that they were made to try, I don't have much hope for any good ethnic food at all.

1 hour ago, Dandruff said:

Obviously, the best stuff is wherever there are a lot of Chinese immigrants, and you'll be in better luck if you go to one that focuses on one region (though careful with Hunan - everyone calls their cuisine "Hunan" even though Hunan cuisine is super specific; this is because Mao Zedong was from Hunan Province and was sort of like Toula's dad in My Big Fat Greek Wedding and would claim that literally every Chinese dish was originally from Hunan). The best Chinese food I've ever had outside of China was in a Cantonese dim sum place in Flushing, Queens that became my go-to for Sunday brunch even though it meant being on the subway for an hour. It was that good. 

I don't know if there's a big Chinese population around Kansas City/Leavenworth. If there are universities nearby, or industries around that tend to hire foreign skilled workers, there might be enough people from China/Taiwan to get some good restaurants opening to cater to them. Also, as I've said before, there can be really crap Chinese food out there, but I love the Americanized stuff as much as the OG real-deal spicy-noodles-from-a-roadside-shack I have such fond memories of eating in China. It's not a case of one being "superior", because they're so different. I love them both, I just have to be in the mood for one or the other. 

OT but I couldn’t help but share this major faux pas of an app name - it puts Steve’s One Ton Ramp to shame!

7473BF52-38C9-432B-BCF2-36A48B108692.png

9 hours ago, ScorpiousMalfoy said:

I have a large portion of family photos that have been taken at the cementery, from funerals and casual visits... But it might be also a cultural thing, a Sunday cementery visit is a ritual in most families here and on All Saints Day you go for the views (I do thing in many Catholic countries people are very extra with the graves design and decoration, flower, lights... and us Slavs are no exception). 

It does sound a little creepy now I wrote this but I never thought of this much lol

When I was in Poland, we go there after a holiday (in the summer).  The cemeteries/graves were beautiful with the flowers, lights, etc. It makes me wish my country (USA) did more of that - (honoring the ancestors if you will), but nope, here where I am, flowers are allowed for only certain blocks of time and everything has to be cleared so they can mow the lawn easily.

Maybe Stevehova got some messages from Fellow Chrisitan Brothers who let him know it is not cool to turn a day of mourning for dead soldiers into a thing about 'murdered' fetuses.

1 hour ago, nomoxian said:

Maybe Stevehova got some messages from Fellow Chrisitan Brothers who let him know it is not cool to turn a day of mourning for dead soldiers into a thing about 'murdered' fetuses.

One could only hope, but I can’t see Stevehovah putting anyone’s opinion above his own. I mean, he has decided to head up his own church.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived