IGNORED

Maxwell 20: Fun just dies

samurai_sarah

5 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Did their mother's day lunch consist of tortilla chips w/ cheese and salsa on top??? That is not a lunch.

I think gas stations across America are breathing a sigh of relief with the revelation that their nachos are no longer the saddest nachos in existence. 

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This bothered me about their Mother's Day post. GiGi - clearly the oldest mother there was STANDING behind Teri.   I think Teri has some back issues but she still manages to climb mountains. GiGi on the other hand is older and likely more frail. In my family the oldest (who is usually the one most likely to tire from standing for pictures) sits or if there is more than one person/a younger person who might tire due to illness then they sit too.

Also: Teri's smile in all the pictures never seems to reach her eyes. Worst of all is the first picture of her+ Steve. Her eyes look like she is about to cry. I hope it is because she is terrible at smiling for the camera and not anything like a reoccurance of her depression.

On 5/14/2018 at 6:50 PM, albireo said:

ETA: Got it. I found a comment on Sharia's FB from the event where Sharia says Maryanna is 23. Phew. Clearly someone got the dates wrong on Fundamentalists Wiki.

I've noticed before that Fundamentalists Wiki is not very accurate.

Good grief.  Look at Steve holding a girl child as he hands out dessert.  I know it is a girl because it has a bow on its head.  I don't think I've ever seen Steve holding a female baby before.  He always seems to have one of the boys in his grasp.

8 minutes ago, browngrl said:

GiGi - clearly the oldest mother there was STANDING behind Teri.  

Have they changed photos.  In the one I can see Teri is sitting at the head of the table and GiGi is seated in the middle.

Instead of expanding the table since we weren’t having a meal, some stood. 

Oh, Sarah.   :penguin-no:

"Instead of expanding the table since we weren’t having a meal, some stood. Love the action going on here!" Code for: "Because Dad did not call for the table to be expanded, no one else could suggest it, and it did end up being very uncomfortable but as long as I make it seem like something that happened with the natural flow of the party by explaining it in an unnatural way, no one will question it!"

My prayer for Sarah is that she will start calling her dad out on his bullshit.

So from the Mothering Sunday post it seems they are still doing the elderly church for the elderly at the elderly home.  It seems a few years since this was blogged about,  but I thought they had been kicked out?

7 minutes ago, johnhugh said:

So from the Mothering Sunday post it seems they are still doing the elderly church for the elderly at the elderly home.  It seems a few years since this was blogged about,  but I thought they had been kicked out?

No such luck.

According to their web site they still run the Amazing Grace Baptist Church at a retirement home.

Although they are imho very disingenuous as they claim they "attend" this "church", when actually they run it.  The link on their website presents it like an actual church with a statement of faith and everything.

That looks to me like a cheese crisp cut or torn up into portions. When they "didn't expand the table", lots of little kids are seated while a woman with a baby strapped to her is standing. That's not the way it would work in my family.

1 hour ago, kpmom said:

No such luck.

According to their web site they still run the Amazing Grace Baptist Church at a retirement home.

Although they are imho very disingenuous as they claim they "attend" this "church", when actually they run it.  The link on their website presents it like an actual church with a statement of faith and everything.

I doubt they have any accreditation from any of the "official" Baptist churches.

This post was amazing. The cheese crisp is like something I would shame-eat alone and hungover because I just needed something quick and cheesy but couldn't make it to the grocery store.

The comment on people standing made me laugh - who would feel the need to explain that photo? They're at a casual family party, of course some people are milling about while others sit! Is this really the first time something that crazy happened at a maxwell party??

This is the most Maxwell post to ever Maxwell.  It should probably live in the 'about' section because it pretty much covers everything. We had:

• Depressing food
  • Depressed Teri
  • A total disrespect for anyone in the family that isn't Steve or a celebration of his functional gonads
  • Following from that, the 'three generations' photograph which missed out the Ofchristopher, Ofnathan, and Ofjoseph--the women who grew the majority of the people pictured
  • Awkwardly worded sentences by renowned author, Sarah Maxwell
  • Weird explanations of totally normal human activity
  • Steve doing something he's never done before that just so happens to have been mentioned here a few days before, but he's definitely not directly responding to us!!1!11!!!
  • And as usual Arnold and Ellie were the true highlights.

Honestly though, the three generations photo pissed me off the most.  Firstly, Stevehovah should not have been in it.  He is not a mother, therefore Mothers' Day is not about him.  Secondly, why in God's name is Gigi standing while Teri sits?  As the first of those generations, and the cause of this mess, she really deserves to be seated and surrounded by various generations of progeny.  And lastly, there's the obvious exclusion of the wives.  Also, if you're saying 'x generations', I kind of think those generations have to be subsequent?  That may just be me though. 

DSC_7838.jpg

So my husband saw the Maxwell family picture as I was scrolling. "Who's that?" he says.

Me: "It's this family that has the most boring blog that ever blogged. Everybody wears dresses."

Husband: *stares at me disapprovingly*

Me: "They're not allowed to have fun. No tv. No fiction books."

Husband: *stares disapprovingly*

Me: "All the women wear two shirts for modesty."

Me: "It's hilarious..."

He doesn't get it. I think I'm going to ask him where he's going when he dies. :laughing-jumpingpurple:

@Lisafer my fiancée doesn’t get it either, I tried to explain the Duggars and how I ended up here and explaining the Maxwells and I just got the blank stare of wtf? Maybe I should ask the same question...

Here's how I weave FJ into conversations at home. "There's a blog I read where the people do or do not do X". I always just refer to "bloggers". I never hint that I participate in a site, snarky or otherwise, that focuses on said bloggers.

I think my husband thinks I read "intellectual" blogs = Bwahhhh

I say that I’m part of a mostly American forum where we discuss religious weirdos. 

21 hours ago, kpmom said:

No such luck.

I wonder what Steve teaches here. These are a group of people who spend a good deal of time watching The Beast, have raised their children in public school, have used medication, encouraged their kids to move out when they want, say "Deviled Eggs", and have enjoyed real meals and parties. Hopfully he just preaches a general Gospel message. I am sure some of the residents enjoy having the young people around, but you know there are Grannies and Papas that constantly ask the girls if they've met a nice man!

Had a couple of Maxwell moments last night at coin club.  We had pizza delivered and the club president's wife wasn't there to remind him to order it.  After the pizza was delivered someone said "better get the pizza cutter".

16 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

I say that I’m part of a mostly American forum where we discuss religious weirdos. 

That is how I explain what FJ is about and what I'm doing here.

My husband has encouraged my reading of polygamists book memoirs which was probably my gateway into fundamentalists, so I've just explained that this is all an offshoot of that pet interest. He definitely thinks I'm a weirdo with FJ once it went beyond the Duggars, but then I've shown him JRod and he's been quite amused and disturbed.

Mr CL is the only person IRL who knows about FJ.  He gets Sarah’s chocolate chip muffins out of it, is afraid of JRod, and leaves it at that. But the other night I was showing pet pictures on my phone to some other people (who have no idea this place exists) and suddenly had to explain this one:

Spoiler

F913433E-2548-42FD-BCD4-1371452653BE.thumb.jpeg.00209eae689da201a8db2f0c11827776.jpeg

On 5/14/2018 at 6:50 PM, albireo said:

I looked a little harder at those birth dates. According to that table there's a decade-long gap between births in the family, and son James would also have been married at 15. He's listed as having been married in 2014 and born in 1999. There's a picture of him + family in 2017, and I don't think he looks 18 there, but who knows. At the same time, a 2003 birth for the last kid would put Mama Buck at 44, which is reasonable for a fundie. I'm going to keep looking. I found photos from Maryanna's wedding on Sharia Hale's insta, but I didn't learn anything other than that Sharia made the cake. Let me see if I can find any photos for James.

That's all to say, it's very possible, but I don't know.

ETA: Got it. I found a comment on Sharia's FB from the event where Sharia says Maryanna is 23. Phew. Clearly someone got the dates wrong on Fundamentalists Wiki.

Yeah, the BuckHales are fundie but they never struck me as creepy

On 5/21/2018 at 7:53 AM, Foudeb said:

Wow, that post... Steve right, front and center on every MOTHER'S DAY pic. Lots of little kids around, but their mothers apparently don't deserve a single mention. I'm getting some serious cultish vibes from this "cute kids! cute animals! cute party!" post.

That "generations" photo annoyed the hella outta me. WHY IS STEVE PART OF THE MOTHER'S DAY GRANDKID AND MATERNAL GREAT GRANDMA PHOTO SHOOT?!

On 5/22/2018 at 9:47 AM, Lisafer said:

So my husband saw the Maxwell family picture as I was scrolling. "Who's that?" he says.

Me: "It's this family that has the most boring blog that ever blogged. Everybody wears dresses."

Husband: *stares at me disapprovingly*

Me: "They're not allowed to have fun. No tv. No fiction books."

Me: "All the women wear two shirts for modesty."

Me: "It's hilarious..."

He doesn't get it. I think I'm going to ask him where he's going when he dies. :laughing-jumpingpurple:

Wait, I am confused. I thought you were a recovered fundie.

25 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

That "generations" photo annoyed the hella outta me. WHY IS STEVE PART OF THE MOTHER'S DAY GRANDKID AND MATERNAL GREAT GRANDMA PHOTO SHOOT?!

To remind us that his testicles are functional, and the children are the fruit of the fruit of his loins? 

Eww.

7 hours ago, freethemall said:

My husband has encouraged my reading of polygamists book memoirs which was probably my gateway into fundamentalists, so I've just explained that this is all an offshoot of that pet interest. He definitely thinks I'm a weirdo with FJ once it went beyond the Duggars, but then I've shown him JRod and he's been quite amused and disturbed.

Indeed--Grampwych has known several fundies, but none quite as profoundly fundamentalist as those we talk about here.   The deprivation and neglect of the Naug kids really bugs him.

On 5/22/2018 at 1:23 PM, mango_fandango said:

I'm open about it.  I say I'm part of an international forum where we discuss dangerous extreme fundamentalist beliefs.  And the Boring Duggars.

I can also bore people IRL for ages about the Biblical Christian Patriarchy Movement, Quiverfull breeding for Dominion, and their influence on US Right Wing politics.  

Mr. P has been known to read selected threads here if I point him in an interesting direction. He'll probably never join us though.  He thinks we are terrifying!  

3 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Yeah, the BuckHales are fundie but they never struck me as creepy

Because he has an ego bigger than Mount Kilauea but way smellier than sulfur dioxide?

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived