IGNORED

Fight For Together / Crawford Family

Maggie Mae

3 minutes ago, Petronella said:

Speaking only to this specific comment about their "changed story":

Most big decisions are undertaken for a complex multitude of reasons. I see nothing suspicious or contradictory in citing "family togetherness" on one occasion and "meeting great people" on another.

Originally they rejected becoming part of the Appalachian Trail hiker culture. That wasn't them. But now that the hiker culture has been so amazing to them, the story flipped and it was suddenly about people all along. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, usedbicycle said:

I believe that outdoors/wilderness training is incredibly empowering for kids. I think a 7 year-old is capable of walking 10 miles a day (15+ is pushing it though). I also think that as a society, we've become slightly too overprotective of our kids and of their comfort, preventing them from accomplishing things that promote self-esteem and develop skills. It's kind of like the Montessori approach... let young children learn how to use adult tools (like a knife or matches), and they'll grow up to be cautious and trust in their abilities. I personally would have loved to walk the AT as a kid rather than being stuck in school.

I agree with this and it drive me crazy how over on blogsnark they seem to think that any sort of discomfort is abuse. No, it's not abuse to hike with your kids. If it were, every single family I know would be in jail. It's what we do here. it's not abuse to have physically fit kids. It's not even abuse to have 5 kids who love hiking and one that doesn't and to expect that one kid to just do it anyway. Abuse is beating your kids, neglecting your kids, starving your kids. 

However, I do have some issues with this family - they do marathons together, but i don't know if they are hiking together when off camera. Are they talking and learning about the things they see? I can't stand their videos, they take too long to get to a point. 

I also don't know why they didn't just buy water bottles for everyone instead of using dirty trash bottles. The weight savings can't be enough to make a difference when they are hauling around quilts and diapers and aren't on any sort of time crunch. 

3 minutes ago, DangerNoodle said:

Originally they rejected becoming part of the Appalachian Trail hiker culture. That wasn't them. But now that the hiker culture has been so amazing to them, the story flipped and it was suddenly about people all along. 

I'm kind of glad they changed their mind on that, it's good for the kids to see that people aren't all terrible & that doing something like this has aspects you might not know about when you start - like meeting people. I never expected to meet people when we did the Rim to Rim to Rim on the Grand Canyon. But we did and it was pretty cool. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, DangerNoodle said:

Yea, I don't have a problem with this. Kind of like a don't-knock-it-until-you-try-it kind of thing. They didn't know because they hadn't experienced it. 

Re: their finances. They made $$ making commercials for well-known companies. I'm pretty sure this was a venture with his brother and maybe one more person.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

Other than the child rearing crap I have not seen any actual physical abuse or neglect type stuff happening here. I don’t think that’s the fatal flaw of this family AT ALL.

I do not think they are embracing this as any sort of unschooling or homeschooling or Montessoriesque situation. They aren’t into homeschool. They do Hebrew and music and then the kids go to Ben’s mom for other assorted lessons. Kami gets pretty overwhelmed a lot. Ben likes to teach what Ben is interested in, like vlogging and social media.

They aren’t unintelligent. I think we’d see more nature and animals and world on the trail if they cared about those things.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

9 hours ago, Jezzable said:

Yea, I don't have a problem with this. Kind of like a don't-knock-it-until-you-try-it kind of thing. They didn't know because they hadn't experienced it. 

Re: their finances. They made $$ making commercials for well-known companies. I'm pretty sure this was a venture with his brother and maybe one more person.  

They are still lying by changing the story though. They are acting like that was a reason was all along. 

Edited by DangerNoodle

On 5/8/2018 at 5:53 PM, Maggie Mae said:

I never expected to meet people when we did the Rim to Rim to Rim on the Grand Canyon. But we did and it was pretty cool. 

Congrats on this amazing achievement! 

• Upvote 2

What kind of lunatic runs a marathon in shoes they've never worn before?  Or decides to do one with no training???  I kind of get it when adults make stupid choices, but I can't believe they're making their kids do that kind of thing.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

Spoiler

When we got married motherhood seemed like this far off potential side project. After 18 years, I have watched motherhood form and change this woman to a point where it has become a primary role and she has become a champion to me and the kids. Through motherhood Kami has become softer and stronger. Once a pushover, now she fights fiercely for what she believes in and who she’s protecting. Happy Mother’s Day Kami. Hope you have a relaxing day hiking 19.2 miles. Way to be a bada$$ and show our kids and the world that mothers can be soft and fierce at the same time. 
#appalachiantrail
#thruhike

This quote was in Instagram today.  It's worded so terrible! It's compliments sort of, but it's mostly jabs at Cami. I feel bad for her. This is how my mom talks to me. I have spent my entire adult life recovering from the emotional abuse, while in it I didn't realize it was hurting me.  I in general support this family but this comment is a big red flag to me.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

@Trying to understand Bingo. That’s (what I think) a big part of their problem. He is VERY dominant. And she is not. I do believe all their years of therapy have resulted in some bizarre dynamic wherein they both feel responsible for issues in the marriage, but really, she just talks a little more and he talks ever so slightly less, and they do both love the children.  He is SO controlling. I think he’s aware of it but he uses to manipulate all of them.

I don’t know how they are right now but I was struck by the update a day or two ago. In which Ben says he doesn’t know what day it is and walking has become their whole identity (the miles per day has been going up to around 19-20) and they haven’t been scheduling zero days as well and blather blather I think the upshot was “lets try not to kill ourselves.”

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

@Trying to understand Bingo. That’s (what I think) a big part of their problem. He is VERY dominant. And she is not. I do believe all their years of therapy have resulted in some bizarre dynamic wherein they both feel responsible for issues in the marriage, but really, she just talks a little more and he talks ever so slightly less, and they do both love the children.  He is SO controlling. I think he’s aware of it but he uses to manipulate all of them.

I don’t know how they are right now but I was struck by the update a day or two ago. In which Ben says he doesn’t know what day it is and walking has become their whole identity (the miles per day has been going up to around 19-20) and they haven’t been scheduling zero days as well and blather blather I think the upshot was “lets try not to kill ourselves.”

I'm not completely caught up on their videos at the moment so I haven't seen the one you are referring too, however I have done long distance hikes and you do eventually start to just be the hike (if that makes sense) you do loose your identity and get a new "trail ideny" I think this is what he is referring to. He is controlling, He might understand that he is, but I worry like you said that he manipulates.  I grew up in with a very controlling mother, and I think she doesn't even realize she is that way. I see that in Been and I see in Cami a happy wife who doesn't realize she is being hurt. Little girl me didn't know either.  I was happy because I thought it was normal. It wasn't until I got married and saw my husband's family and what unconditional love actually looks like did I realize that my mom was the way she is. One if my sisters has been in bad relationship after bad relationship and thinks she deserves to be treated that way. It all goes back to how we were raised. I worry about Cami and the kids because they may be suffering emotional abuse and not even realize it's happening. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

Zero subscribers have asked for details on how to have a healthy sex life in a tent.  Do they not think about who these video titles could be attracting? 

20180518_142808_rmedited.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Disgust 1
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, DangerNoodle said:

Do they not think about who these video titles could be attracting? 

Well, not me for sure.:brain-bleach:

I caught up with a few of the recent videos yesterday.  As in, like, the first few, like, minutes, of, like, each of the last 3.  Like, way too much, like, barf, around.  

Like, do they have, like Giardia? 

Apparently they are drinking from streams and not filtering their water.  Giardia is not something to mess around with at all.  If they are all puking that badly they should get themselves to a doctor. 

I've got to the stage that I cannot freaking stand the sound of Ben's voice, and the incessant likes are driving me up the wall.  I find the comments more informative.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 3

His mumbling/stoner/hipster try hard chill is TOO MUCH MAN.

Can you imagine having to edit these clips of your mom talking about banging your dad on a schedule? 

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 1
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

His mumbling/stoner/hipster try hard chill is TOO MUCH MAN.

Can you imagine having to edit these clips of your mom talking about banging your dad on a schedule? 

No. I think Seven (son who does most editing) may be the most, er, altered of all the children.

On a positive note. It was absolutely adorable to see Ranier singing along to Tom Petty. I'm glad they like secular culture.

• Upvote 3

I think the reason I'm so interested in this family is that one day I'll find them relatable and interesting... Then the next few days are back-to-back cringe videos. The kids are always great. Adults are riding life like a roller coaster though. It is both a hate and love subscribe. 

• Upvote 2

I have read this whole thread.  I have not watched any videos.  My major complaint is "fight for together" is driving me mad.  Shouldn't it be "fight for togetherness?"

I do like the baby set up they showed in the instagram pic in the snow.  The baby looked perfectly warm and content and the little hood bit keeps the baby out of direct weather.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, DangerNoodle said:

I think the reason I'm so interested in this family is that one day I'll find them relatable and interesting... Then the next few days are back-to-back cringe videos. The kids are always great. Adults are riding life like a roller coaster though. It is both a hate and love subscribe. 

Right? I love hiking. I think more people should be outside with their kids. I want more footage of the kids and less of Ben's whining. I keep thinking something is going to happen like "hey, filia's shoe fell off and she tripped over a log, we now realize that we should get health insurance." And then when they are done, they'll be like "let's go get jobs and be grown ups and put the kids in school" and then the kids will go to school and no one will make fun of them for their parent's YouTube channel. 

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2018 at 8:55 PM, Maggie Mae said:

I keep thinking something is going to happen like "hey, filia's shoe fell off and she tripped over a log, we now realize that we should get health insurance." And then when they are done, they'll be like "let's go get jobs and be grown ups and put the kids in school" and then the kids will go to school and no one will make fun of them for their parent's YouTube channel. 

If something like that (god forbid) happened with one of the kids, it would just give Ben a platform to vent about how intrusive the healthcare system/government/law enforcement/take your pick is. (The younger kids aren't vaccinated, which is a separate issue.) And forget about either one of them getting jobs. That goes against Ben's philosophy of perpetual togetherness at all cost.

• Upvote 3

On 5/18/2018 at 2:08 PM, Palimpsest said:

Apparently they are drinking from streams and not filtering their water.

OK, they just lost me.  If you drink unfiltered water in the backcountry you will get something at some point -- giardia (protozoa), cryptosporidiosis (parasite), various bacterial illnesses (campylobacter), e. coli, viruses.  If you're an adult risk taker, enjoy puking and shitting your brains out, go for it.  When you put your kids at risk, it's abuse.  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

They are halfway through and having quite good luck. The water thing may have downed them once.  Ben cut himself.

They grifted new shoes for the whole family.

There is a steady stream of people who want to host them and feed them. So they keep lucking into nights off. I am conflicted about this. On the one hand benevolence is a beautiful part of any culture. I love that part of Burning Man culture. I just don't see Ben as the type to "pay it forward" in any way. He's admitted to not caring about the nature/scenery (PNW spoiled him).  He also said he feels bad when people ask him what his family likes to eay because they have expensive taste and eat a lot. He's really insufferable.

But I love Ranier. He is a smiling little cutie and the best part of watching Ben.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

If they got sick from giardia in the water they wouldn't have recovered in 12hrs like they did. It might have been food poisoning, or a virus like they thought. They are going off the trail often enough to catch stuff. I grew up drinking from similar water sources and to my knowledge never got sick from it, but it's not a risk I would take with 6 kids on the trail tent camping. I wouldn't call it abuse though, just less risk adverse that me. We risk our kids being exposed to all sorts of things every time we get in the car and leave the house. Statistically much greater risk  than drinking unpurified water. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Anonymousguest said:

We risk our kids being exposed to all sorts of things every time we get in the car and leave the house.

The parallel example would be that you got in your car and never used seat belts.

• I Agree 6

keyboard spazzing willl comment later

Edited by AliceInFundyland

2 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I just don't see Ben as the type to "pay it forward" in any way. He's admitted to not caring about the nature/scenery (PNW spoiled him).  He also said he feels bad when people ask him what his family likes to eay because they have expensive taste and eat a lot. He's really insufferable.

2 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

They grifted new shoes for the whole family.

There is a steady stream of people who want to host them and feed them. So they keep lucking into nights off. I am conflicted about this. On the one hand benevolence is a beautiful part of any culture. I love that part of Burning Man culture. I just don't see Ben as the type to "pay it forward" in any way. He's admitted to not caring about the nature/scenery (PNW spoiled him).  He also said he feels bad when people ask him what his family likes to eay because they have expensive taste and eat a lot. He's really insufferable.

But I love Ranier. He is a smiling little cutie and the best part of watching Ben.

The amount of trail magic they are gettng is amazing and I think they've gotten to the point where Ben just expects their AT notoriety to pave the way. (The whole free sneakers thing when he has stated in the channel description they don't accept ad revenue is pretty darn  funny.)

I mainly watch the videos for the kids. Rainer is adorable and I am impressed daily by the resilience and maturity of the older kids. 

Edited by Indigo On My Thumb
Double post
  • Upvote 3

I've drank unfiltered water while hiking. I also hike in VERY remote locations and know to look for beaver dams, and other evidence that it could be contaminated. I would never, in a million years, drink unfiltered water anywhere east of the Mississippi or south of Montana. (Short of a life or death situation) and my personal pride will not let me drink out of a trash bottle. 

That being said, I also always always always take the time to do things "right" when kids are watching. I put on my seatbelt, I don't swear, I filter my water even if we are at a place where maybe 20 people cross per year. I wear a bike helmet because it's the law for kids, even though I think i's ridiculous to wear a helmet when riding on a flat trail on a heavy cruiser bike at maybe 9 mph. 

Rainer is adorable. I can't stand Ben's constant whining. I wish they would show more kids and scenery, although I suppose I'm also spoiled. 

• Upvote 1