IGNORED

Kendra and Joe Duggar 9: Garrett David Has Arrived

Jellybean

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

So Mr. Caldwell is going to be "popi" What's wrong with just "grandma and grandpa?" :pb_lol: 

tumblr_p6ibyxprk81uipssao4_1280.jpg

Not fundy but haven't ever called my grandparents "grandma and grandpa". They've all always been "mamaw and papaw". I like cute grandparent names. Grandma and grandpa feel so stuffy to me because no one I know uses it. 

Some grandparent names where I'm from: mamaw, nanny, nana, mimi, gigi, grammy, granny / papaw, pap, pop, papa, gpa, gramps, granddad

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was growing up, my grandparents were Grandpa and Grandma Dadslastname and Grandpa and Grandma Momsmaidenname. My Sweetie is Grandpa to his grandson, his ex is Grandma and I'm a version of Grandma that reflects my ethnic heritage. (I was with my Sweetie when grandson was born, but a few months shy of 40, plus, I thought his biological grandma should get that title of Grandma.)

One of the cool things about becoming a grandparent is choosing the name your grandchild calls you. Of course, sometimes the grandchild's name for your sticks, despite your best efforts!

My daughter has older cousins on her dad's side, they call my mother-in-law Grandma. I casually asked my mom if she wanted some nickname to differentiate and she went on this mini tirade about how she's too grown for cutesy nicknames and she was proud of the title of Grandma so she was gonna use it. Oooookay Ma. So we use Grandma Firstname. My dad is just Grandpa since he's the only grandfather my children have.

I only have one Grandpa, my grandmothers were Grandma and Granny. I personally like the classics- Grammy, Nana, etc., over the newer trendy nicknames like Mima (Meemaw?) but that's just a weird personal hangup. I do always like when the kids come up with the nicknames themselves!

I have mentioned on here how my friend calls her grandmother “DiDi”. Since she turned out to be an only child & grandchild she is the only one who calls her that. 

my grandparents were always just grandma and grandpa and if I had to specify it would be Grandma or grandpa last name. 

I was just thinking how Israel and probably Sam later call Derick Papi. now Kendra and Joe's son will call Paul Caldwell Popi. I can see a kid or two finding the whole situation odd. 

Did Joe intend for his shirt to match the blue on the wall? He looks a bit baked. Perhaps him and Popi shared a celebratory blunt before this was taken.

My parents were gma and gpa. We're Nona and Pappa. My mother's parents were Abuela y Abuelo. My father's parents were Mamie & PopPop. My great aunt and great uncle (on my dad's side) were Oma and Opa. 

2 hours ago, Jana814 said:

Yes Poppy is what the grandkids call George H.W. Bush one of their older cousins (maybe Jeb's kids) starting calling him that. I loved that Jenna named her daughter after her grandfather like that. 

Cute, but also isn't that sort of like saying "my baby's name is Grandpa, after my beloved grandfather"?

DH named his grandparents by location when differentiating between them. So he had "Nan next door", "Nan down street", "Nan at flats", "Nan in town", etc. Some of those were great grandparents or great aunts but they were all known as "Nan (location)". When talking to them, they were just "Nan". 

His mum became a grandmother in her early 40s and wanted to be known as Nan because she thought Grandma was too old. 

When I had living grandparents (well still technically have one now) my family language name was gender neutral which is totally fine until they were both in the room and you'd said the word and it's like which one are you talking to? So I just had my own variations but my siblings stuck with their cultural name. Now we just really refer to my living one as the culture name.

My parents have said if they get grandchildren they want the cutest names because they never liked the cultural name which we thought was so shocking. Never had a reason for it either!

Both sets of grandparents were referred to as Grandma <her first name> and Grandpa <his first name>.  Same thing for aunts and uncles.  It was pretty easy, given that everyone had different first names.

In that case it's very fortunate when parents have different languages as it simplifies matters considerably.

I used the Hebrew/Aramaic words for grandma and grandpa (savta and saba) for my maternal grandparents, but the German words (Oma and Opa) for my paternal grandparents.

I assume we will teach our daughter to use Oma and Opa for my parents unless my mother decides to go with something Hebrew or Ladino, and something French for my husband's parents. They have not yet decided what names they want, though ;) 

On that note, I am not sure how I feel about being called "Aunt MyFirstName" by my niece. She is not yet old enough to talk or at least address me directly, but the thought somehow makes me feel old. I think I would prefer if she just called me by my first name as I used to do with my aunts and uncles. My husband, on the other hand, insists to be called "Tonton HisFirstName" even though it makes both my sister and me think of the singer Tonton David :D 

12 hours ago, Nargus said:

5ac3dd88b4fcf_puddingshots.jpg.bdd01951a9bc502f5aba86c8bdcb663f.jpg

We made these with Salted Caramel Baileys for a recent birthday party.  I wasn't able to partake being pregnant and all, but everyone said they tasted like a boozy Wendy's chocolate frosty.

You're welcome.

I’m thinking I know how I’ll be using the bottle of chocolate luxe baileys I got for Easter. 

Besides this, with all of the leftover Easter eggs:

E9C5A718-5030-4B79-9FF8-F24BB4CAC36B.jpeg

My children call my dad Poppy or Pop. My niece calls him Poppa. We called our Grandfathers Poppy too, and so did lots of our friends (could it be an Australian thing?)

1 hour ago, adidas said:

My children call my dad Poppy or Pop. My niece calls him Poppa. We called our Grandfathers Poppy too, and so did lots of our friends (could it be an Australian thing?)

All my friends had a combination of a nan, pop and ma and pa (with variations on those such as Poppy or Nonna). Occasionally someone had a grandparent with a different nickname. My friends grandmother was very insistent we call her G-Ma because she didn't want to feel old (and to be fair she was a grandmother before 40 so I can understand).

The only time we used terms like Grandmother was when your referring to them to someone who doesn't know. Like I'd say "Oh I'm taking my grandma shopping".

Referring to someone as Grandpa X or Aunt Y just doesn't seem to happen among people I know. If your aunt is called Sarah, you just call her Sarah!

23 hours ago, Jellybean said:

Thread drift at the end of the previous thread included discussion of first “big girl jobs” and whether calling it that is patronising or funny or cute.

All of the above.  If it's a person who won't behave like an adult, then saying "big girl/boy job" is patronizing on purpose.  But people can also talk about their first "big girl/boy job" is the same way as we say "I'm finally adulting!"

We called both sets of our grandparents Nana and Grandad.  We had a step nana and also a great grandmother called Nana.  I wanted to make it all simpler,  so since my parents were already Nana and Pop to my niece I requested that my in laws choose other names when our daughter was born.  They picked Grandma and Grandad. It’s been much easier, no need to specify surnames or suburbs when talking to the kids.  

@Kangaroo my family might be unusual, but I still call my aunt Auntie Mary, and my great aunts Auntie blah blah.  As does my mum.  My kids call their aunts and uncles by that term too.  My nieces and nephews (ranging from 3 to 25years old) call me Auntie Karma, except that the two who have no other Aunts in Australia just call me Auntie.  I like it.  

Growing up we called family friends Auntie or Uncle blah blah, but were told as adults just to call them by their name.  I found that confusing, and much to my MIL and husband’s  annoyance i insisted our kids call no one aunt or uncle who isn’t actually that.

I didn't mean to start the Nana/Popi thread drift again :pb_lol: I know we've been here before. 

My son is the only grandchild on my side - and has a speech delay - so he calls Grandma & Grandpa "Bamma & Bampa". I know my mom desperately wants to be called Grandma - but I think it's adorable that he came up with his own names for them! And I told her that eventually he will likely call her Grandma. (I think she's gotten used to it). 

On hubs side - he's one of nine million and is younger than some of the great grands who call my husbands mom Grandma GG (for great grandma) - so he isn't really sure WHAT to call her. He's her grandson - but all of his peers call her Grandma GG - which he can't say anyway. So he defaults to Bamma for her too. But again - with nine million of them - he rarely calls her anything - he's just one of the herd of little people.

ETA: You can decide what you want to be called all you want - kids come up with their own names too...

My parents wanted to be Nana and Grandad. My daughter (who is on the spectrum) decided on meme and poppy. My mom's parents are Granny and Pa. My dad's parents are Mamaw and Papaw. My husband called his mom's parents Grandma and Pal. He called his dad's parents Grandman and Papaw.

12 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

My daughter has older cousins on her dad's side, they call my mother-in-law Grandma. I casually asked my mom if she wanted some nickname to differentiate and she went on this mini tirade about how she's too grown for cutesy nicknames and she was proud of the title of Grandma so she was gonna use it. Oooookay Ma. So we use Grandma Firstname. My dad is just Grandpa since he's the only grandfather my children have.

I only have one Grandpa, my grandmothers were Grandma and Granny. I personally like the classics- Grammy, Nana, etc., over the newer trendy nicknames like Mima (Meemaw?) but that's just a weird personal hangup. I do always like when the kids come up with the nicknames themselves!

Meemaw isn't new. It has a strong, Southern tradition. 

Papi (prounounced poppy) means daddy in Spanish but people use it here with spelling variations- or Pop pop- for grandpa. It's also been in use awhile. 

Names like Nona are used by Italian American families. Grandpa and grandma are only one variation for grandmother and grandfather. 

13 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

So Mr. Caldwell is going to be "popi" What's wrong with just "grandma and grandpa?" :pb_lol: 

tumblr_p6ibyxprk81uipssao4_1280.jpg

While you guys are over there taking a tanget off of "popi," I'm right here wondering why Kendra's mom apparently wants to be called "mum" (that IS what her name tag says, right?). That seems much more unusual to me than popi, seeing as how it's an alternative spelling and usually pronounced exactly like... mom.

23 minutes ago, JillyO said:

While you guys are over there taking a tanget off of "popi," I'm right here wondering why Kendra's mom apparently wants to be called "mum" (that IS what her name tag says, right?). That seems much more unusual to me than popi, seeing as how it's an alternative spelling and usually pronounced exactly like... mom.

I couldn't tell. Looks like Hlaria to me! I was wondering. 

Maybe Muma? 

29 minutes ago, JillyO said:

I couldn't read what hers said. I hope it's not mum lol. Doesn't Kelly Bates like her grand kids to call her Mom B or something?

Job in high school: dipping ice cream.

Job after nursing school: charge of a ten bed ICU at night. DEFINITELY a step up, "big girl" job... compared to the first...

so I'm not insulted using those terms.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived