IGNORED

Erin and Chad 3: Welcoming Baby Everly

Jellybean

22 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

If they want to be historically accurate, they might as well. At various points in history betrothal was as good as married for sleeping together, as long as you got "properly" married before any babies came. Apparently "trial marriage" was even a thing in Colonial North America!

According to Ancestry, "in the mid to late 1700s, more than one in three girls was pregnant when she walked down the aisle. So don’t be surprised if the birth or baptismal record of a progenitor that you discover on Ancestry is dated fewer than nine months after the parents’ wedding certificate. One unusual northern Colonial tradition may have encouraged this premarital fecundity. Bundling, or bed courting, involved young, unmarried couples testing their compatibility by sharing a bed for the night."

Also from Ancestry, "Marriages during the Colonial era, however, were not always legally formalized. For many colonists, the cost of a formal, legal marriage was more an aspiration than a reality. In colonial North Carolina, for example, a marriage certificate cost £50 — a year’s salary for a teacher, or six months’ salary for a minister. As a result, many people formalized their relationships simply by posting “banns,” announcements read weekly to the community for several weeks." 

So yes, if they really want to glorify an earlier time, they might as well imitate their protestant forebears and try bundling and simple bann reading. Much less hassle *and* you get to find out whether you're compatible before you're stuck together for life!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engagement

https://blogs.ancestry.com/cm/six-unbelievable-but-true-facts-about-colonial-life/

Thank you for that interesting information I knew most of it but I had never came across the fact that marriage licences were so expensive that many people didn't legally marry. 

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

Must've been pretty damn stressful in that car to plant there for a break. Geesh. 

3 small children and 5 people total? Yeah, sometimes you need to get out of the car for a break. 

Brandon and Micheal went to Hannah Paine's wedding and so we get lots of cute pictures of the Paine kids posted by the doting auntie. 

So Brooklyn looks just like Chad, and Chad's sister Hannah looks just like Chad; do we have an idea of what Brooklyn may look like as she ages? Hannah is beautiful! Brooklyn is so cute. I hope Erin and Chad slow down on the babies. 

I know that's wishful thinking! 

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

So Brooklyn looks just like Chad, and Chad's sister Hannah looks just like Chad; do we have an idea of what Brooklyn may look like as she ages? Hannah is beautiful! Brooklyn is so cute. I hope Erin and Chad slow down on the babies. 

I know that's wishful thinking! 

I swear you can spot a Paine from a mile away. All the Paine siblings look alike. 

5 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Erin trying to get people to buy Micheal's blankets

Nice to see her supporting Michaela!  Does she sell on Etsy?  She really should expand or at least charge more, she has skills. I just bought 2 straight custom window valances for $75 on Etsy.  I have no idea how much fabric costs but I’m sure the seller has a nice profit margin.  Win/win.

2 minutes ago, TeaELSee said:

Nice to see her supporting Michaela!  Does she sell on Etsy?  She really should expand or at least charge more, she has skills. I just bought 2 straight custom window valances for $75 I’m Etsy.  I have no idea how much fabric costs but I’m sure the seller has a nice profit margin.  Win/win.

I believe she only sells her site. she's said before that it's only a hobby for her and she doesn't want to be obligated to it. she just wants to make them when she wants and put them up then when those run out they run out. . not worry about keeping up with orders and such. 

25 minutes ago, TeaELSee said:

Nice to see her supporting Michaela!  Does she sell on Etsy?  She really should expand or at least charge more, she has skills. I just bought 2 straight custom window valances for $75 on Etsy.  I have no idea how much fabric costs but I’m sure the seller has a nice profit margin.  Win/win.

I know people who sell on etsy and sadly, they often don't have a "nice profit margin." They do it because they enjoy it and have another source of income.

19 minutes ago, Hisey said:

I know people who sell on etsy and sadly, they often don't have a "nice profit margin." They do it because they enjoy it and have another source of income.

That’s unfortunate, I was hope the seller I bought from, Thedesignertouch made a profit from my order!

I’m sure plenty of humpers buy from Michael. That way they can say, “ this baby blanket was made by Michael Bates Keilen!” To all their fundie humper friends. 

On 4/21/2018 at 10:24 PM, lumpentheologie said:

Wow, she looks fantastic!  I mean I'm sure there's some insta filters going on here, but she really looks 10 years younger. 

I agree.  She looks soooo much younger.  I think these girls do way too much eye makeup.  Save it for when you are older & need it to look awake.  

Yes! that looks VERY much to me like an Earth Science textbook! And Brookie is drawing on it with a marker! but its ok because she looks cute in high heels. And she's 2. :sigh2:

Maybe I'm just weird about book defacement but I bet Brook will not be learning from that book and I have so many questions. 

I think they only tried to dress Brook as a school teacher. Probably the girl put the glasses on, Erin thought she looked as a *typical* teacher or a librarian and quickly put a book and a pen on her lap. I highly doubt they allow the kids to draw on textbooks.

Ugh that book looks like my World Geography textbook from grade 11. I would totally allow a kid to deface it. I did! I fell asleep and drooled on it, many a time. 

On 8/20/2018 at 1:27 PM, Ivycoveredtower said:

clip from this weeks episode talking about Erin's change in cooking skills. 

https://www.uptv.com/bringing-up-bates/bringing-up-bates-now-youre-cooking/

I almost feel bad for Erin and Tori when their cooking skills are made fun of - their mother expected them to be perfect fundie housewives but barely gave them the tools for that, much less any other life skills (though Erin and Tori have certainly had more education, skills and work experiences than any of the Duggar or Maxwell women). We know Alyssa was expected to cook for the family at 12, so Kelly Jo has barely been in the kitchen the last 10 years, and when she has it's been easy meals of processed foods thrown together. The Bates cooking was discussed recently in one of these threads, but I found this blog post from 2010 from 2 years ago that summarized some of their recipes such as:

Pour canned beans over bread, put a sliced hot-dog on it and sprinkle on some cheese. 

Put a scoop of mashed potatoes on a slice of bologna and sprinkle on some cheese.

See more recipes here: https://web.archive.org/web/20101112160342/http://gilbatesfamily.com/blog

The point being - if Erin and Tori and any of the other kids (male or female) are bad cooks, it's because no one (ahem Kelly Jo) taught them better.

17 hours ago, freethemall said:

Pour canned beans over bread, put a sliced hot-dog on it and sprinkle on some cheese. 

Put a scoop of mashed potatoes on a slice of bologna and sprinkle on some cheese.

Gah! This reads like a Jill Dillard blog recipe.  Don't give her more ideas!

49 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

Gah! This reads like a Jill Dillard blog recipe.  Don't give her more ideas!

I have no doubt the Duggars had recipes exactly like this, and we have seen the same narrative about the girls not being able to cook when they leave the house (e.g Jessa leaving the manual in the oven when she went to cook) because Michelle & JB failed them in the same way Kelly and Gil did their own children.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived