• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
quiversR4hunting

Family SUV plunges off cliff in CA - family from WA

Alisamer
On January 11, 2019 at 8:17 PM, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Knitting socks would require me to learn 3 new skills: picking up stitches along an edge, turning a heel, and Kitchener stitch to seamlessly sew the toe.

Not necessarily! Toe up there's no kitchener, and with the Fish Lips Kiss Heel (pattern is $1 on Ravelry) there's no picking up stitches. I do mine 2 at a time, toe up on a long circular needle. I haven't made socks in a while though - got tendinitis in my thumb from the tight gauge.

On January 11, 2019 at 9:00 PM, Howl said:

Three years ago my stepdaughter got me a pair of....half mittens I guess  you'd call them. They are like mittens that stop past the knuckles and partway to the next joint up; ditto with the thumb.  There are insanely practical for Texas weather, where it can definitely get nippy in the winter, but not terribly so, plus you still have dexterity for your fingers.  I worry they will wear out and then I'll have to learn how to knit to create a duplicate pair. 

I recently made a pair of mittens for the first time, and it was surprisingly easy - fast too, using bulky yarn. And no purling, once I was past the cuff! I really love fingerless gloves, though, they are also perfect for cold offices.

On January 12, 2019 at 1:19 PM, Playagirl said:

I want to knit tiny 'socks' for my dining room table and chair legs to protect the hardwood floors from scratches when people move the chairs. I'm trying to get the motivation as I haven't knit in years so would need to buy needles along with the yarn which would be costly. I also know that my knitting skills suck but scratches on hardwood suck more and cost more.

Chair Socks are pretty cheap to buy, actually! And some look like kitten feet which is adorable. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

Howl
18 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

And some look like kitten feet which is adorable. 

Dying here from adorableness overload. I use the felt pads on all the chairs but my house has some hidden dust generating machine somewhere and the pads are constantly picking up parts of dust bunnies and hair.  With kitty feet, I could just take them all off and throw them in the washer once a month. 

Playagirl
4 hours ago, Howl said:

Dying here from adorableness overload. I use the felt pads on all the chairs but my house has some hidden dust generating machine somewhere and the pads are constantly picking up parts of dust bunnies and hair.  With kitty feet, I could just take them all off and throw them in the washer once a month. 

Same here. I have felt pads but they attract everything under the sun. And mine don't stay put either. They move around and the edges loosen so then I get sticky glue on the floors that I have to try to scrape off. Someone upthread mentioned children's socks which I'll look into as I could get some pretty cool socks. I've never seen the chair socks sold anywhere so I'll have to look into those too.

SilverBeach

The folks I know who use little socks are always putting those things back on. I don't know what's on my felt pads because they are on the bottom of things, and so far, none have come off, for over ten years now. I do love those kitty feet though, cat lover here.

Edited by SilverBeach

Playagirl
4 hours ago, Alisamer said:

Chair Socks are pretty cheap to buy, actually! And some look like kitten feet which is adorable. 

Oh my god those are seriously adorable! My house is already full of cat hair and cat footprints so these would fit my decor perfectly.

4 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

The folks I know who use little socks are always putting those things back on. I don't know what's on my felt pads because they are on the bottom of things, and so far, none have come off, for over ten years now. 

Wow, you're lucky. I've had mine for less than 2 years and they are always coming off or loosening enough for the glue to get on the floors. And enough crap gets stuck to them that each leg looks like it has a dust bunny attached to it. Maybe I should look into higher quality ones, if they exist up here.