IGNORED

Family SUV plunges off cliff in CA - family from WA

quiversR4hunting

Just now, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I was speaking of the one thread, not that time.

as I just said in another thread id been blessed to have forgotten much, but this walk down memory lane is bring back a lot of reasons to wonder why I'm still here.

Understood :)

All in all I'm glad I'm here. I'm glad you are here too. I know you better than I did then. I know a lot of posters better than I did then.

Revisiting the trolls is somewhat gruesome. When I did revisit the history, I realized what it was before..you all have done a lot. It is a good community. We need good communities. We need to do what FJ does. We need to have friends.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 7

10 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

...but this walk down memory lane is bring back a lot of reasons to wonder why I'm still here.

I hope you have some good memories to counter those. An awful lot of people really missed you when you were gone, and were thrilled when you came back. :my_heart:

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 9

6 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I hope you have some good memories to counter those. An awful lot of people really missed you when you were gone, and were thrilled when you came back. :my_heart:

Can confirm, I really missed you, @HerNameIsBuffy, when you took a break from here. 

Let me know if you need kitty pictures to keep your mind off awful people.

Edited by HarryPotterFan
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 8

3 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Can confirm, I really missed you, @HerNameIsBuffy, when you took a break from here. 

Let me know if you need kitty pictures to keep your mind off awful people.

Thanks.  I'm sorry I said any thing, pretty pissed at myself actually, and atm I wish this was reddit so I could delete.  

so if everyone would pretend I deleted, I'd appreciate it.  :) 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 13

41 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Do you mean like finger-less gloves with the mitten part you can button back? Or the opposite of that. 

No, much simpler.  Imagine mittens that stop just  past the knuckles and with a half thumb. 

Something like this but with more of a thumb. 

Mine have no raised pattern knitted in, but they are made of a very soft and colorful yarn.  

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

@HerNameIsBuffy, I'm so glad you are back!  I missed you when you were gone, and hoped you weren't going through anything too terrible (you had mentioned going through another divorce before you left, and I've been there). Your ferret pictures used to just crack me up. We had some differences, but I believe we always maintained respect. It's all good now, and time does indeed change perspective about some posters. It helps to take what works for you from FJ and leave the rest alone. I thought about leaving several times when I was pissed, and I would take some time off. But I always came back because FJ is unique in the internet community world and I have had many more good times than I have had bad times. 

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 6

39 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I was speaking of the one thread, not that time.

as I just said in another thread id been blessed to have forgotten much, but this walk down memory lane is bring back a lot of reasons to wonder why I'm still here.

I'm sorry! I'm glad you are back! 

• Love 3

1 hour ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Knitting socks would require me to learn 3 new skills: picking up stitches along an edge, turning a heel, and Kitchener stitch to seamlessly sew the toe. I need to get better at knitting in the round before I try socks. I've only made a few hats knitted in the round so far. I have a list of skills I want to acquire or improve. Those 3 are on the list, but not at the top.

I wonder if my perspective would change if I re-read all her posts. I don't think I feel strongly pro or con enough to bother at this point. 

I really enjoy knitting socks (or did before my hands gave up on me). There are lots of great videos and step-by-step photo tutorials. I would thoroughly recommend getting to the point of being able to keep the number of stitches and the tension relatively consistent (that isn’t aimed at you @WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?, but rather a general suggestion) before trying to knit socks.

@Destiny My cable knitting improved dramatically when I got the hang of doing it without a cable needle. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

I’m so glad you’re here @HerNameIsBuffy, I don’t even want to imagine FJ without you.  Here’s a hug I was saving for someone special!

Spoiler

D311F46B-D473-41FF-A325-A881EC192278.thumb.jpeg.616cb1e5ae83892a52eef7f41e2508ff.jpeg

Edited by Don'tlikekoolaid
Added your name!!
  • Love 23

@Jellybean, when we went to Charlotte to see the Hello Kitty food truck, we stood behind these two women who were knitting socks.  They were using the two circular method and yes , their socks were Soaring on Two Circular Needles.  

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

when we went to Charlotte to see the Hello Kitty food truck

I'm kind of afraid to ask what food they sell..

• Haha 15

5 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

If they are serving actual Hello Kitties I must protect my babies!  :) 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 11

2 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

If they are serving actual Hello Kitties I must protect my babies!  :) 

Here's one that no one can take away from you!

Spoiler

20181227_153349.thumb.jpg.396fc56a3d310c948c93a653dfbba410.jpg

Bit late for a Christmas gift, but I am the anti-Maxwell. I can't do schedules. :my_biggrin:

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

I want to knit tiny 'socks' for my dining room table and chair legs to protect the hardwood floors from scratches when people move the chairs. I'm trying to get the motivation as I haven't knit in years so would need to buy needles along with the yarn which would be costly. I also know that my knitting skills suck but scratches on hardwood suck more and cost more.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

@Playagirl you can buy felt that is sticky on one side, it glues itself to the bottom of the furniture legs and it works greatly! (Sorry couldn’t resist the Trumpism, screw him).  Anyway, I found it in the hardware store and it lasts forever.

• Upvote 7

@Playagirl, if you don't want to go to the bother of knitting the socks for your chairs, children's socks work pretty well. We have friends who have wooden chairs on hardwood floor. They save their kids' old or unmatched socks to put on the chairs. You could probably buy a package of small children's socks for less than the cost of needles and yarn. 

• Upvote 7

28 minutes ago, Playagirl said:

scratches on hardwood suck more and cost more.

I  use those stick on felt pads, they have worked well in protecting my floors.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

11 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

I  use those stick on felt pads, they have worked well in protecting my floors.

Costco (US) was recently selling a whole kit-in-a-plastic bin of those floor protectors in various sizes. Think it was something like $12.95:

Photo on 1-12-19 at 8.56 AM.png

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

19 hours ago, Howl said:

No, much simpler.  Imagine mittens that stop just  past the knuckles and with a half thumb. 

Mine have no raised pattern knitted in, but they are made of a very soft and colorful yarn.  

Those are generally just called fingerless mitts.  I've made several pairs because they are a bit more forgiving than gloves or mittens as far as sizing goes.  I'm about to start my first pair of full mittens pretty soon.

• Upvote 4

20 hours ago, Howl said:

Those look more like arm warmers, or at least the ones my daughter has.  The arm length varies, she has some shorter ones and some longer ones. But most of them have that opening for the thumb and that keeps them in place.  You might look for arm warmers, if you are searching online instead of searching for fingerless gloves.

• Upvote 2

Mine just have regular mitten-length wrists.  I did see some on Amazon that went further up the arm, and just had a thumb hole rather than a half thumb. 

I have a pair of knitted wool gloves with half fingers and a half thumb.  They were great for working outside on cold days when I had to take notes.   A co-worker referred to them as bum gloves. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 2

On 1/12/2019 at 2:09 AM, Ozlsn said:

I can't recall everything they sold, but I do remember the macarons.  They were delicious!  I also got a Hello Kitty Cafe mug with Hello Kitty herself sitting on a pile of yummy looking doughnuts. 

• Love 5

On 1/10/2019 at 3:13 PM, Terrie said:

The remains of the fifth of six children have been identified. https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/10/us/hart-family-deaths-hannah-identified-california/index.html

I am glad another child has been found and identified. Gives closure for the family. I hope the last child is found and put to rest. I feel so bad for the biological families and all the friends of these kids.

IMO, a red flag should be risen for anyone that is willing to adopt large family groups so close together. I knew a lady that did this and she was an abusive POS. We had custody of the youngest (when she was a teenager) because the adoptive mom was such a POS. The youngest only stayed with us for 6 months before the POS pulled her back in. I think those 6 months gave the youngest a light that things could be different. Now that she is an adult and has a kid and step kids of her own, she is doing ok. Struggling financially (she ended up not finishing HS because POS kicked her out of the house) but she has been in a stable loving relationship for 7 years and they are not abusive to the kids. 

side note - pretty knitting, to those that shared. I skipped around on here because of the one that lives under the bridge. ;) 

• Love 11

Is is so sad and infuriating to think about how much those kids suffered while the moms were seen as saints. 

• Love 7

I read the aunt is suing DHS for taking the kids from her. I hope she wins too. The fact that everyone didn't protect these kids including the system is horrific. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2