IGNORED

Lady Lydia: still trapped in her well of pink sadness

danvillebelle

1 minute ago, formergothardite said:

Was Texas Ranch house the one where the people being ranch owners were super lazy and the cowboys quit? 

Maybe? I was either really distracted when I watched that one,  or I just found it forgettable. I don't remember much about it, especially compared to how clearly I remember some of the other shows. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Maybe? I was either really distracted when I watched that one,  or I just found it forgettable. I don't remember much about it, especially compared to how clearly I remember some of the other shows. 

I googled and Texas Ranch house was the one where the people playing ranch owners barely tried. They wouldn't clean anything and then complained about bugs. 

Lydia also shared with us what she is using for make up in her videos.

I also want to share with you about the cosmetics and skin care products I used for this video. 

Face cream: coconut oil with and "copaiba" essential oil
Face powder: cornstarch mixed with carob powder (cocoa powder will work well too)
Cheeks: cornstarch mixed with beet powder
Lips: coconut oil with beet powder
Eyebrows: cocoa powder,

Eyes: White cornstarch, tapioca powder mixed with cinnamon.

Other ingredients: arrowroot powder, rice flour, coconut flour 

For hair, I am using a temporary rinse with aloe, Vitamin C, coconut oil, walnut oil. (I will have to get back to you on the name of it, as it is a brand product. )

Tooth paste: (will compose the list of ingredients shortly)

Blouse: White Stag brand from Walmart, all cotton and soooo comfortable.  $3.00

Beads: these are on a stretch chord and this necklace is hand made.

6 hours ago, Georgiana said:

I also own many plaid flannels because I consider it the dress of my people. 

I'm the poster child of Eddie Bauer plaid shirts and will wave should we cross paths at SeaTac.  I am all envy over your ownership of a Dick's Drive-In plaid flannel. 

:my_smile:

@formergothardite,  the 1940s House was very interesting, if it's the one I'm thinking of.  It was set in England during the war and the family had to deal with all the things that they would have had to deal save for actual bombing.  Goods were rationed and they had mock air raids where they had to go into the family's Anderson shelter.  (There's a scene in Mrs Miniver where they went into their Anderson shelter during an air raid.) I remember the daughter of the family using a pumice stone on her legs because she could not get a razor blade.  There were no stockings for the women to wear, of course.  I need to find it on YouTube.

On 3/27/2018 at 1:00 PM, formergothardite said:

This is slightly embarrassing, but until that show I didn't exactly know what a scullery maid did. I had read about them, but I didn't actually know what their job entailed. I think that show went through three scullery maids because the job is so hard.

I would love to know what scullery maids do since same, have only ever read about them.

53 minutes ago, missi said:

I would love to know what scullery maids do since same, have only ever read about them.

Scullery maids were among the lowest ranked of the female employees in a household. They would be responsible for scrubbing the dishes, pots and pans, scrubbing the floors and often other kitchen tasks like cleaning fish, plucking fowl. 

7 hours ago, Bethella said:

Scullery maids were among the lowest ranked of the female employees in a household. They would be responsible for scrubbing the dishes, pots and pans, scrubbing the floors and often other kitchen tasks like cleaning fish, plucking fowl. 

Getting up before everyone else, setting and lighting the fires, pumping and carrying water.  The lowest of the low. http://historyandotherthoughts.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-scullery-maid.html 

9 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@formergothardite,  the 1940s House was very interesting, if it's the one I'm thinking of.  It was set in England during the war and the family had to deal with all the things that they would have had to deal save for actual bombing.  Goods were rationed and they had mock air raids where they had to go into the family's Anderson shelter.  (There's a scene in Mrs Miniver where they went into their Anderson shelter during an air raid.) I remember the daughter of the family using a pumice stone on her legs because she could not get a razor blade.  There were no stockings for the women to wear, of course.  I need to find it on YouTube.

The 1940s house was probably my favorite of all of these programs.  The mother and daughter really made a huge effort to live in the time period, and their cookery on rations was very impressive.  They were also nice people.

The Voctorian House one was good, but marred because the "lady of the house" was extremely unlikable.

Frontier House was OK, except it had only one functional family and the tensions between and within 2 families made it uncomfortable watching.  Nate and Kristin were adorable though. 

In Colonial House the "leader" was a real Fundie.  That family had to leave early because of a death in the family.  And the rest kept forgetting they weren't supposed to be in the 21st century. 

But Regency House annoyed me.  I forget why. :)

Lady Lydia’s list of face products sounds like the ingredients of a cake.

41 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Lady Lydia’s list of face products sounds like the ingredients of a cake.

Agreed - and maybe I'm just particular but I would never be putting cinnamon near my eyes! The cocoa powder probably isn't a good idea at all either.

4 hours ago, smittykins said:

Mmmm, cake...*searches in vain for cake emoji*

The only one I could find is birthday cake. :cake: How about a donut? :doughnut: Add some ice cream....:icecream: 

Now I'm just hungry. :pb_wink:

3 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Now I'm just hungry. :pb_wink:

Have a cookie.:tw_cookie:

I'm going to have to look out for some of these shows, I always liked that kind of stuff. I remember watching Pioneer Quest and wanting more.

As for Lydia, I forgot she existed. She was my first fundie, long before I knew of the duggars. Although I would say Erika Shupe was the one that led me down the rabbit hole, lady Lydia was how I became aware such people existed.

On 3/29/2018 at 4:40 AM, Palimpsest said:

Frontier House was OK, except it had only one functional family and the tensions between and within 2 families made it uncomfortable watching.  Nate and Kristin were adorable though. 

In Colonial House the "leader" was a real Fundie.  That family had to leave early because of a death in the family.  And the rest kept forgetting they weren't supposed to be in the 21st century. 

Didn't the producers of Frontier House have to call the whole thing off when it became apparent that the families sucked at homesteading and, given the meager amount of firewood and hay they had managed to put up, wouldn't survive the winter? I never watched the show but I did read things about it occasionally, things that made my eyes roll. Something about the girls trying to make eye shadow from wood ashes and lard. . .

2 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

Didn't the producers of Frontier House have to call the whole thing off when it became apparent that the families sucked at homesteading and, given the meager amount of firewood and hay they had managed to put up, wouldn't survive the winter? I never watched the show but I did read things about it occasionally, things that made my eyes roll. Something about the girls trying to make eye shadow from wood ashes and lard. . .

No, they didn't call the whole thing off.  They made it a competition to see which family could gather enough supplies and function well enough to survive a Frontier winter. The project was always planned to end in the late fall with them being judged.

Only one family was assessed to have the potential to survive: Kristin and Nate Brooks.  I still think they were beyond adorable. :)

The Clunes cheated the whole time in various ways, and Karen and Mark Glenn feuded both with the Clunes and with each other.  Their supplies were OK, but the judges decided that their marriage was too dysfunctional.   

I think Gordon Clune and Karen Glenn were very unpleasant people - even without the stress of being on the show.  Those marriages are over now.

I found updates on the families here: http://erahouse.tumblr.com/post/45248000405/where-are-they-now-frontier-house

I remember the finale of Frontier House, in which a historical expert informed one of the male competitors that he hadn’t chopped enough firewood to survive the winter, and the guy’s response was something like “I did TOO!” *footstomp*

21 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Have a cookie.:tw_cookie:

And then grind it up and slap it on your face.  Skincare, y'all.

Also, I'm really big into skincare/cosmetics and I have a skincare routine that is very "old fashioned".  I have never once gone to the pantry*.  Even in the 1800s, it was largely soap and cold cream, Lydia!  Come on, I KNOW you've read Little Women!

*Admittedly, my Korean sheet masks do contain some "food item extracts", and I'm a huge fan of wine-based moisturizers.  But I'm not just soaking my face in wine!

Seriously, most of my skincare is from a Japanese company and is almost all olive oil based, and my teenaged daughter who has bad eczema on her face literally uses plain coconut oil as a cleanser - but come on! :my_dodgy:

On 3/28/2018 at 7:23 PM, PennySycamore said:

I remember that show!  The mom was so desperate to dye her roots, she made a concoction of beets and bark or something like that.   Great show!

Eta:  the dye washed right out and only kinda worked.   She was bummed.  It did seem like it would work better.  It did help for a bit tho....

2 hours ago, Hane said:

I remember the finale of Frontier House, in which a historical expert informed one of the male competitors that he hadn’t chopped enough firewood to survive the winter, and the guy’s response was something like “I did TOO!” *footstomp*

That was Gordon Clune.  And he would TOO have survived if they had let him shoot all the wildlife within a 30 mile radius.  And getting a box spring and mattress wasn't cheating!  Nor was trading with the locals.  He was a jerk.  Adrienne was rather nice though.

The whole thing is on Youtube if anyone is interested.  

I use coconut oil as a moisturizer and hair conditioner.  A little of it goes a long way and it smells nice.

Oh, Lady Lydia. I’d forgotten about her. I wonder if she ever got to set up a booth about homemaking at the career fair like she wanted?

On 3/28/2018 at 5:30 PM, zeebaneighba said:

There are actually two Coal House series; one set in 1927 and the other in 1944 (Coal House at War). Both are up on You Tube.  They are pretty fascinating!

YES! Go team! I watch every single one of the living history shows! Have you watched the farm ones? Tudor Farm, Wartime Farm? Here is YouTube where Oprah visits Colonial House! And heck, Mr. Mondaine and I watched the heck out of Supersizers GO (food across centuries!) And while I have the degrees and reading to engage with the best of historians, my heart beats with Lucy Worsely who makes it possible for people to experience history no matter social class and educational background.

Hoping that thread drifts continues with more suggestions of experiential shows!

You and I must have the same YouTube suggestion list!  Have you watched any of Tony Robinson's documentaries (Worst Jobs in History, Time Team, Walking Through History, et al)?

5 hours ago, FilleMondaine said:

YES! Go team! I watch every single one of the living history shows! Have you watched the farm ones? Tudor Farm, Wartime Farm? Here is YouTube where Oprah visits Colonial House! And heck, Mr. Mondaine and I watched the heck out of Supersizers GO (food across centuries!) And while I have the degrees and reading to engage with the best of historians, my heart beats with Lucy Worsely who makes it possible for people to experience history no matter social class and educational background.

Hoping that thread drifts continues with more suggestions of experiential shows!

I LOVE supersizers Go! I couldn’t think of their name. I highly recommend them Sue Perkins is a comedian and Giles Coren a good critic and they also eat food from the time period. It’s teally funny.

Those who have watched Manor house and other have you seen Tudor Monastery Farm and the others in the same theme?  If you haven't, they are available on YouTube.  Not exactly the same as Manor house (et al) because the participants are an archaeologist and a historian but still very neat to watch.

Archived