IGNORED

Lady Lydia: still trapped in her well of pink sadness

danvillebelle

I decided to peek in on our old friend Lydia this morning.

She posted a picture of a Walmart bathroom.  Because a vase of fake flowers on the sink "reminded her of the old luxury dept. store restrooms."

I shit you not (pun intended).  Behold - the luxury Walmart bathroom.

lydia crazy.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks!  I needed a laugh this morning.  Lady Lydia strikes out again.  :laughing-rolling:

In related news, she glued a bunch of moss on a styrofoam wreath form, stuck some ancient silk flowers in it, and wants you to know how terribly easy it was and we should all feel sorry for those poor schmoes who might spend $40 (GASP) on a wreath.

FTR, I am not one to look down my nose at DIY wreaths.  I've got one hanging on my door as we speak.  It looks good enough for my simple taste.  I'm not kidding myself, however, that it looks as good as one done by a florist.  Because it doesn't.  It really, really doesn't.  Take note, Our Lady of Pink Frills.

Oh Lydia! Taking pictures of the Walmart bathroom. :lol:

I see she is still making videos. Her latest one is telling older women how to dress. I've seen how Lady Lydia dresses and I'm pretty sure she has no place giving anyone advice on how to look dignified. If she is happy with how she dresses, that is fine, but it is the acting like people who don't dress in pink floofy outfits and put pink bows in their hair are slobs that is annoying. 

9 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Her latest one is telling older women how to dress. I've seen how Lady Lydia dresses and I'm pretty sure she has no place giving anyone advice on how to look dignified.

You made me go and watch it!  I'm afraid this "lady of the house" is looking like "what the cat dragged in."  As an older woman I really should more time looking in the mirror and grooming myself.  I no longer have "the bloom of youth to overcome what I wear."  And apparently I need to buy a plaid shirt and a modesty t-shirt to go underneath.  That is what LL is wearing. 

But that's OK.  There is a simple solution in the text:  "If you need a new look, buy a new hat.  You can always sell it on Craig's list if you don't like it." 

No, Lady Lydia.  A re-cycled paper bag to put over my head will be cheaper.  Then no-one will know it is me offending their eyes.

Lady Lydia seems almost upbeat in those latest posts about her road trip.  God is answering her prayers. Not only is Walmart reminding her of the upscale restrooms of the 60s, but MacDonald's is playing Glen Miller and the employees are wearing knee length skirts.  She left them good reviews.

A plaid shirt?  SO MASCULINE.  SO MANLY.  How will people know she's a woman if she dares go out in such attire?  :::::::faints dead away::::::::

She actually took a picture of the floor of Walmart! She is losing it. 

Does anyone remember the PBS(at least in my area it was on PBS) show Manor House? It came out early 2000's and it was about modern people going to live like they did during Edwardian times. That show popped into my head looking at all the paintings she puts on her blog. Lady Lydia would like to think she would have been the lady of the house sitting around looking pretty, but in real life she would have started work as a maid when she was a teen and spent long hours working very, very hard. This delusional idea that she has that no women ever worked is so easy to disprove that she has to work hard to keep her head in the sand. 

Telling older women how to dress seems totally futile. Everyone already has their preferred style and you're not very likely to make any drastic changes unless dementia sets in and you start to wear swimming suits in the winter or something.  But I hope I can some day get as excited about a store restroom :)

31 minutes ago, danvillebelle said:

A plaid shirt?  SO MASCULINE.  SO MANLY.  How will people know she's a woman if she dares go out in such attire?  :::::::faints dead away::::::::

No, plaid shirts are fine if you also wear a new hat and a skirt that covers your knees.  Of course, you have to glue a few pink fake flowers from the Dollar Store to the hat and add a sprinkle of glitter to offset the masculinity of the plaid.  

I hate plaid shirts.  I don't know why.  It must be a moral failing.  

@formergothardite, I remember Manor House.  The staff, other than the butler guy, all got really Bolshy about the working conditions.  And I wanted to send "Sir John" and his wife to the guillotine.

I am sitting here reading this thread while wearing a plaid shirt.  It is a purple pin tucked tunic I got from Lands End on sale.  I am also wearing jeans and sneakers.

1 minute ago, PennySycamore said:

It is a purple pin tucked tunic I got from Lands End on sale.  I am also wearing jeans and sneakers.

Well, I don't consider that a true plaid shirt.  I'll make an exception from my plaid shirt aversion for you, because it is purple, pintucked, and a tunic.  I love purple. 

I'm wearing jeans, a grey Adopt a Greyhound sweatshirt, and purple and pink fuzzy socks.  Lady Lydia might approve of the socks.

5 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

Because a vase of fake flowers on the sink "reminded her of the old luxury dept. store restrooms."

I remember there still being fake flowers and other decor in department store restrooms. But it was always in the really ratty, outdated stores that looked like they hadn't been cleaned for 30 years. So I guess the comparison works for me! :my_biggrin:

2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Does anyone remember the PBS(at least in my area it was on PBS) show Manor House? It came out early 2000's and it was about modern people going to live like they did during Edwardian times.

Yes, I remember that! There were other few programs with different time periods/settings (not sure if it was all one series or just a similar premise?). None of those shows made me want to back and live in the eras they covered, no matter how pretty the fashion or whatever. Life was really rough in the olden days for most people, especially women!

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

The staff, other than the butler guy, all got really Bolshy about the working conditions.  And I wanted to send "Sir John" and his wife to the guillotine.

"Sir John" and his wife were the worst. It was like by the end they really thought they were super rick people who needed to be waited on hand and foot. 

This is slightly embarrassing, but until that show I didn't exactly know what a scullery maid did. I had read about them, but I didn't actually know what their job entailed. I think that show went through three scullery maids because the job is so hard. 

I would pay good money to send Lady Lydia to one of those shows but one where she had to live the life of the life common folk. 

I love all permutations of plaid.  Might be my Scottish DNA.  And the fact that I'm a Supernatural addict - mah boys can wear some plaid!  Mmmmm.

SEND ME ALL THE PLAIDS.

I watched 1900 HouseManor HouseFrontier House, and a few others on my local PBS station. I'm a big fan. :my_biggrin: I'd love to see Lady Lydia chopping wood and plucking chickens to make dinner, like the women on Frontier House had to do! :pb_lol: (That reminds me; I don't think I ever finished watching Victorian Slum House.)

ETA--I checked, and I also watched Colonial House1940s HouseRegency House Partyand Texas Ranch House. There was also a Coal House, set in Wales, but I never saw that one. They were all pretty interesting, but I was never as interested in the Texas one or the Regency one. 

13 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

In her part of the country a plaid shirt is how one identifies herself to the world as lesbian.

Photos of Wal-Mart bathrooms. Recently a couple were arrested here for secretly photographing young girls in Walmart (and other) public bathroom stalls.  Lady Lydia had best be very careful.  

My splurge for myself last year was a made-in-Mississippi plaid “Scotsman” shirt from Laurel Mercantile, in the MOST GORGEOUS COLORS of blue and red. Wear it with boot-cut jeans and probably look like an elderly  lesbo and don’t care. Might meet some nice new friends that way!i

Lookit all them lady-lovers (j/k)

10 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

In her part of the country a plaid shirt is how one identifies herself to the world as lesbian.

My older son became particularly attached to a certain plaid flannel shirt this past winter.  He has several good friends who are lesbians and they teased him that it draws them to him like a magnet.  :pb_lol:

As a teen of the 90s, plaid is still a favorite of mine. A thermal shirt with a plaid shirt unbuttoned and some baggy jeans with hold in the knee was my go to outfit. I didn't have real doc martins because they were way too expensive. 

I have a Dick's Drive-In (a Seattle burger place) plaid flannel, which is so peak Seattle that when I wear it to SeaTac Airport, I get stopped multiple times to ask where I bought it.  I also own many plaid flannels because I consider it the dress of my people.  Ironically, I rarely wear them unless travelling.  

I'm at work now, so I'm actually in a midi-dress, sweater, and heels.  Lady Lydia approved, though I did nothing to my face or hair on account of feeling under the weather.

6 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Photos of Wal-Mart bathrooms. Recently a couple were arrested here for secretly photographing young girls in Walmart (and other) public bathroom stalls.  Lady Lydia had best be very careful.  

My splurge for myself last year was a made-in-Mississippi plaid “Scotsman” shirt from Laurel Mercantile, in the MOST GORGEOUS COLORS of blue and red. Wear it with boot-cut jeans and probably look like an elderly  lesbo and don’t care. Might meet some nice new friends that way!i

Lookit all them lady-lovers (j/k)

IT'S THE PEOPLE FROM HOME TOWN ON HGTV!!!!!  MY DREAM HAS COME TRUE, I CAN FINALLY DRESS LIKE I HAVE A SHOW ON HGTV!

@Georgiana,  I noticed Ben and Erin, too!

ETA: Their doggie looks like my granddog who is not a Golden retriever, but part Great Pyrenees.  He's the size of a Golden though

15 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

ETA--I checked, and I also watched Colonial House1940s HouseRegency House Partyand Texas Ranch House. There was also a Coal House, set in Wales, but I never saw that one. They were all pretty interesting, but I was never as interested in the Texas one or the Regency one. 

There are actually two Coal House series; one set in 1927 and the other in 1944 (Coal House at War). Both are up on You Tube.  They are pretty fascinating!

16 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I'd love to see Lady Lydia chopping wood and plucking chickens to make dinner, like the women on Frontier House had to do!

Lady Lydia would die of starvation if she was required to kill and cook her own food. She doesn't even seem to do things like make bread or can food. Those painting she constantly puts up were the Instagram pics of history, they are pretty to look at, but don't truly reflect what real life was like. Life back then was hard, very very hard and there would be no time for Lydia to take her daily naps and twitter about the house doing nothing. 

I have not seen all of the shows about reliving history. 1940's house sounds interesting. Was Texas Ranch house the one where the people being ranch owners were super lazy and the cowboys quit? 

Archived