IGNORED

Sister Wives 6: Five Adults or Are There? Mariah Is Engaged.

Coconut Flan

On 3/19/2019 at 6:34 PM, HA88 said:

The black velvet scrunchie he wears for his man bun is my favorite.

We were watching this and the scrunchie cracked us up. Really Kody?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Another night of 2 hours wasted on Snoozing Sister Wives. Sobbin Robbyn is in residence again. 

Even though WE at FJ all figured out in .0002 seconds that Flagstaff is 100 because of Dayton & Robbyn, NO ONE at TLC is addressing the elephant dung on the Oriental.  ... kinda wondering what was given/paid to Janelle & Christine for stepping in line. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

After several episodes talking about Flagstaff, it still is clear as mud why they are uprooting a perfect setup in the cul de sac to go into rentals far apart from each other, again. Aspyn hit the nail on the head, they are running from something. And they care not how anybody else is impacted. They will never have financial stability with all this moving. I could never live like they do.

Yeah, Robyn getting to hover over her son is probably a big part of it, why don't they just admit it though?

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

Poor Aspyn has more sense than all of her parents combined. That was hard to watch.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

Yeah, it was difficult. It actually made me nauseous cuz I could feel the hurt through what she couldn't say.

Then it cut immediately to Seeking Sister Wife.  Gross. I'm so far past watching creepy idiot males trying to get more V. Blergh.

• Upvote 4

I was impressed with Aspyn's common sense. Christine is full of bull. The adults (or should I say Kody) are going to do what they want anyway, stop trying to rationalize everything. None of the wives was thinking about moving until Kody started talking about it. If Vegas was so bad, they would have said something before. The wives have no agency.

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 8

Even in Kody’s ridiculous megahouse Dayton has to get a master suite. 

Good grief. That’s all I can say.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

I’ll play devils advocate for a second- maybe Dayton applied to the college in flagstaff once the idea of moving there was brought up? 

Im not a Robyn fan, though. I like Janelle and Christine but I wonder the same as everyone else- why did they agree to move? None of them have a good answer. They should have waited for older kids to finish out high school if the move was just about being sick of Vegas. A couple more years wouldn’t have killed them. 

• Upvote 4

The Brown family claims to have moved 19 times. My guess is the count started when Kody and Meri got married in April 1990, 19 moved in 29 years. 

We are six weeks from the start of school, and hope to move in 2.5-3 weeks so they can get settled before school. Christine won’t close on her house until right before school starts, but for some reason she and her kids can’t stay at Robyn’s 7 bedroom 6,800 square foot home for two or three weeks. Kody wants the families to move together at the same time. Janelle took the fist rental she saw, and it is 30 minutes from Christine, Robyn is halfway in between, and all the kids are in the same schools. Savannah (Janelle’s daughter) will be entering 8th grade, and this is the only time she will be in a school without a sibling, everyone else is in high school or elementary school. 

Robyn said she fell in love with the family culture before she fell in love with Kody. This is back in UT when they all lived in one house. 

Meri does not have a rental lined up at this time. She will help with the move, and said she should get a storage unit and just live in an RV. Kody said well you could use a sister wife’s garage to run your clothing business. We have since learned Meri moved into a huge home, so the RV was never a real contender. 

Christine and Robyn put together an open house for Mitch and Aspyn three weeks after their wedding. They went on a two week honeymoon to Scotland and Ireland. The open house is for those in Vegas who couldn’t make it to the wedding they had a ton of seats and food, it was informal no RSVP. Aspyn requested the open house, and it was the last family get together before the move. 

A couple of the kids were doing the dance move floss/flossing (sorry I am not current with the trends), and Christine did it, and Kody said it was salacious and a stripper move. The past two weeks he has shown us his underwear (lifted up his kilt to show us his boxer briefs), and when he first tried on the kilt he hiked it up pretty high to show us his thigh— but hey modesty only applies to women I guess. 

Christine said when she signed paperwork to buy the house in Flagstaff it is listed Christine Brown, a single woman. Christine feels this is degrading, and she is being treated like a second class wife. Janelle doesn’t care, and Meri said better single than divorced. Meri feels demoted and like a failure when she sees the word divorce. Just last week weren’t they saying the legal marriage doesn’t matter, their spiritual sealing is what is truly important? Janelle and Robyn were both legally married therefore legally divorced prior to marrying Kody. Christine wants plural marriage legalized. Kody said wives have to stand up and fight for it, the burden is on them. Kody said only women can do it, if a man fought for it it would be considered misogyny. The United States just got marriage equality in 2015 I doubt legalizing plural marriage will happen any time soon. Kody is frustrated he has to have this conversation with his four wives. Kody you chose this life, you knew plural marriage was not legal, and there was no hope on the horizon it would become legal anytime soon. 

Kody is traveling to Arizona for a secret project. He is having a woman draw up plans for one large house. I think he is doing this to try and ensure a season 14. He wants to build one large house, but have each wife feel she has her own home. With all the building ordinances it sounds like building a multi-family home is walking a fine line. He contends it will save money, and should be built as a box, like townhouses. He wants each wife to have her own home, and in addition to that he wants one large communal kitchen, family room and dining room to accommodate the whole family getting together. He said Janelle has two children living at home, so she would need 2,000-2,500 square feet, four bedrooms plus an in law suite. Christine gets 2,500 sf, needs 5 bedrooms plus an office which could serve as another bedroom. I believe Christine’s mom will live with Christine, and I don’t know how many children are living at home, my guess is at least three (Truely, Gwen and Ysabel), and maybe Pardon?  Meri gets 1,500 sf. Robyn has five kids that all live at home, so she needs 6 bedrooms, and would like two master’s, one for Dayton, or future college student, 3,500 sf, she gets more room because more kids are at home. He doesn’t want any of the wive’s master bedrooms near each other. Kody said I got kind of graphic with her so she understands the emotional needs. He plans to insulate/sound wall the wive’s quarters. Plus sometimes Ari keeps Robyn up past 1AM. Who lets a two year old stay up that late? So if they keep that square footage, that is 10,000 sq, and the way Kody described the one communal family kitchen, family and dining room would be additional square footage, so maybe 11,000 or 12,000? Kody’s black velvet scrunchie made an appearance!

In 2013 they buried a time capsule (a cooler), that they dig up five years later. They are digging far too close to a line (water or power) for my taste. They put a few items in the cooler, and wrote acclimations (word they used) for what they hoped to be true, so they were written in the present tense. Several of them wrote the houses would be paid off, and based on their faces that is clearly not true. They wrote they won their lawsuit against Utah, and the laws had changed in favor of plural marriage. Initially they won their lawsuit, but the ruling was overturned, and law language and punishment became more severe toward polygamy. Kody said none of his children have chosen this lifestyle, and Robyn commented so far. So it does seem that Robyn hopes her children, or at least one will live plural marriage. 

Ysabel visit her doctor, her spine is now at 44 degrees, was previously 42. She wears her brace at night, and does the exercises daily. Her disappointment is palpable, she worked so hard, but it did not pay off. My heart goes out to her. She will receive yearly X-rays to monitor her spine’s curvature. 

Christine and Aspyn discuss the family’s move. Aspyn says she feels like an angry teenager, feels the move is unnecessary and doesn’t see the point. Aspyn will remain in Las Vegas for another year, but once she graduates college she and Mitch will return to Utah. Christine said she is done with this (Nevada) state, she doesn’t care for the vibe, and doesn’t feel it is safe for the kids. Christine said they have equity in the Vegas homes. Aspyn said I thought Flagstaff was more expensive. Christine said Flagstaff already feels like home, but has two major cons 1. it’s expensive, and 2. it is far from the family. Christine doesn’t feel the need to settle in one place, Las Vegas was never the end goal, and it was move now or wait five years. Aspyn your family is moving so they could have season 13, without the move there was no story line. Kody wants one mega house so he can have season 14 or more. I wonder (doubt?) that the younger Brown children will have the relationship the older Brown children have with each other, and the moms. The older Brown children lived together, or at least near each other for most of their lives. For the next year or two in Flagstaff the kids will only see each other at school, and at events filmed by the show if they get another season.  

Christine says it will take a year to build, and it may, but first they have to sell the Las Vegas homes, and agree on plans whether it be four homes, or one large home. I have never understood their finances, but how could they start building in FS without selling the homes in Vegas? As of March 2019 only one of the four homes has sold, plus they spent $820,000 on the land in FS, $520,000 on Christine’s home, and the rent on Meri, Janelle and Robyn’s homes are expensive. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

Managed to catch up on this season. One word to sum it up - selfish. Especially Cody. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

God. One of the main things I retroactively beat myself up about is just reacting, instead of carefully considering, when it came to decisions and parenting.

BUT - these people, WTF. Why? 

• Upvote 3

Aspyn seemed far more mature than any of the parents. Christine didn’t seem able to answer her questions without her buzz words of safe and family.

They all seemed more delusional than normal this episode. The speed of the move, the money question and Kody seeing a designer for one house for them all when his wives do not want to live together. Their endless proclamations that being the “legal” wife doesn’t matter is such bullshit. It mattered greatly to Meri and she still feels the loss. I don’t ever remember Robyn offering to divorce Kody so that no one woman holds the title. Funny to think that only Christine has never been divorced or legally married.

• Upvote 5

11 hours ago, mstee said:

I’ll play devils advocate for a second- maybe Dayton applied to the college in flagstaff once the idea of moving there was brought up? 

Im not a Robyn fan, though. I like Janelle and Christine but I wonder the same as everyone else- why did they agree to move? None of them have a good answer. They should have waited for older kids to finish out high school if the move was just about being sick of Vegas. A couple more years wouldn’t have killed them. 

Either the timeline on the show is fudged and they knew about the move WAY longer than what they are letting on, or Dayton almost certainly applied (and was likely accepted) before they had decided on the move.  Robyn's social media shows Dayton started there in the fall, and generally applications are due in the winter and college admissions go out in the spring for fall semester.  Now, he could have been a last minute transfer, but with his unique needs, it's unlikely they would have had time to get everything in place for him if he was truly added at the last minute.

So while it's POSSIBLE Dayton applied after they chose to move and was able to get in on the mercy of the admissions staff, it's unlikely.  I think it's more likely that Dayton applied, was accepted, and then Robyn amped up the pressure on Kody to move.  

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

Kody is so dense. He desperately wants the whole family under one roof, but knows the wives don't want to be on top of each other. He made this big speech in a talking head about how he had to have the mega-house designed by a woman so it would be sensitive the wives' needs. Not a terrible strategy. But then once he meets with the designer, he vetoes her VERY SENSIBLE recommendation, which is that they should have the house basically be a big X so each wife gets an autonomous wing. He says it needs to be townhouse-style to save money. However, then he informs the designer that wives will not want their bedrooms near one another or to hear the other wives. No shit, Kody! He acts like he's really rocking the designer's world with this information. He goes on and on about how he had to be "graphic" in order to break it to her that his wives don't want to hear him in the bedroom with other women, but the designer's finally like "Uh, yeahhhh, I figured." THAT"S WHY SHE RECOMMENDED HER ORIGINAL DESIGN THAT YOU VETOED, YOU DING-A-LING!! He's so blinded by his own perspective that he doesn't realize the bedroom arrangements and not wanting to hear each other is literally the first thing anyone else is going to think of when they think of a man living under one roof with multiple wives. Then, after sabotaging in the name of savings what is likely the only workable plan for a single house, he does another talking head saying he's willing to do absolutely anything to have them all living together. It doesn't seem to have ever occurred to him that there's no point in getting design advice from a woman if he's not going to, you know, heed the advice!

I swear, this is the only show where I consistently find myself yelling at the television. 

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 1

Seriously, wings is the only really good way to do this. I don't know what sound proofing costs, but I don't see how doing the wings would be that much more expensive. Why the hell did he ask a Prescott designer to design a house in Flagstaff? They're in different counties! My mom designs houses. She's been asked to do houses in neighbouring counties. It's a PITA even when there aren't going to be issues with local building codes. Mom has built relationships with the people at the city. They are willing to help her figure out how to do what needs to be done to work for both the client and the building code.

• Upvote 7

I just ate a whole bowl of ice cream to try to delete the image of kody pulling his kilt up from my brain. 

I hate all the parents in this family. They're so selfish 

• Upvote 2

I struggled to fall asleep last night, and was imagining possible floor plans. If they do the typical "plyg" box as Kody called it I thought a two story house. So on the top floor put Janelle with her 2,500 square feet (sf) and Robyn with her 3,500 sf for 6,000 sf up stairs. On the first floor put Meri 1,500 sf, the large communal kitchen/family room/dining room at 1,500 sq, and Christine with her 2,500 sf plus a 500 sf garage for 6,000 sf downstairs. So it would be 11,500 sf under air, 12,000 sf total. I know they don't park in the garage, but with the 15 or so acres they own I imagine they'll need equipment for the yard and gardening. Knowing them they'll probably build an addition shed just to house the gardening supplies. I looked at their homes in Vegas and they are all ~4,200 sf, so technically they would all be "downsizing", but who really thinks Meri is going to accept just 1,500 sf? Plus Kody gave Christine 2,500 sf for 5 bedrooms plus an office that will double as an extra bedroom, sound to me like the square footage is going to be bumped up. Truely will be 9 on April 13 (per Wikipedia), so in a decade there will only be two children under the age of 18 (Solomon and Ariella). I know kids don't always move out and leave home for good at 18, but how many are going to live at home while going to college, live at home after high school or college? Would it be enough to justify having a 12,000 sf home? Also I agree having the communal kitchen/family room/dining room as the center and each wife having her own wing (x shaped) makes the most sense. 

22 minutes ago, DaisyD said:

It's a PITA even when there aren't going to be issues with local building codes.

It doesn't seem like Kody is that concerned with building codes/ordinances. He spelled out that he has to sell the one home, as four individual homes to his wives, but one home to the county (or whoever governs the rules). I get the impression Kody thinks he is a little bit smarter than everyone else. He was successful in getting a TV show and having in on air for nearly nine years, so clearly he has some brains/finesse whatever you call it, but it seems like that is about to run out. 

• Upvote 5

I think the X design would have worked well!  The middle of the X could have been the large central kitchen.  And maybe the four wives could have kitchenettes in their wings.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, NoKidsAndCounting said:

I think the X design would have worked well!  The middle of the X could have been the large central kitchen.  And maybe the four wives could have kitchenettes in their wings.

I don't remember if it was the Browns who said this or if I've heard this from other plyg families, but evidently sharing a kitchen is almost as much of a plyg no-no as having bedrooms close together.  It creates a lot of conflict as the wives struggle to share the facilities, differ in organizational styles, differ in aesthetic, etc.  And I get that.  Every time my mom is in my kitchen, even just briefly, I will spend the next week going NUTS because she's put things away like they are in HER kitchen, which is NOT where I keep them in MY kitchen!

But I think that a large open space that includes a communal kitchen, opens onto an outdoor kitchen, or even a (gasp) just a wet bar would be a great thing to put in the center of the X.  Have the main hang out spaces there to bring the family together, and in the wings can be bedrooms, a small kitchen for each of the wives, and bathrooms.  

• Upvote 11

On 3/26/2019 at 8:07 PM, Dominionatrix said:

It doesn't seem to have ever occurred to him that there's no point in getting design advice from a woman if he's not going to, you know, heed the advice!

Well, realistically,  he has a penis so knows better than any simple woman who does whatever for a living.  Ask Lori Alexander.  That's how life works.  We might ask the little woman - but she really needs to do what the penis bearer tells her to do.   

Is Meri getting a house for the show?  Why isn't she gone?  Her own planet?   Or what?  

On 3/26/2019 at 10:01 PM, HA88 said:

I know kids don't always move out and leave home for good at 18, but how many are going to live at home while going to college, live at home after high school or college?

Every single one of those kids seem to get the hell out of Dodge the minute they are old enough to do it - show up a few times for show money and are gone again.   The move is for Robyn so she can be with her kid.  Secondary, show interest.  I just can't figure out why everyone else is going along with it...oh yeah....show money.  I sure wish I had it.   And why does Christine need an office?  What does she do besides reality tv?  Anyone know?   

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

36 minutes ago, SweetLaurel said:

Every single one of those kids seem to get the hell out of Dodge the minute they are old enough to do it - show up a few times for show money and are gone again.   The move is for Robyn so she can be with her kid.  Secondary, show interest.  I just can't figure out why everyone else is going along with it...oh yeah....show money.  I sure wish I had it.   And why does Christine need an office?  What does she do besides reality tv?  Anyone know?   

How cruel is it that they ALL have to move for Dayton, harming the other kids in the process?  Sorry, but the "triplets" are bound by time.  Gabe can't take a year off and still be on pace for scholarships.  Gwen can't delay her position as class historian reasonably.  But you know who can?  DAYTON.  Lots of people take a year or two off between high school and college.  It often is beneficial, and it rarely has any impact on your later educational prospects.  

But no, because this is ROBYN's child, so EVERYONE ELSE has to suffer just so ROBYN'S family is not mildly inconvenienced.  Because I think the root of the matter actually ISN'T Dayton.  I think the kids Robyn is really concerned about AND her main impetus for moving RIGHT NOW are her two elder daughters.  I think Robyn wants them to stay plyg, but they are rapidly moving away from that like the other Brown children, and Robyn wants to cut them off and get them back on the plyg track ASAP before they make a decision that makes them poor candidates for marriage in the plyg community.  

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

Yeah, I definitely think Robin is panicked about the "worldly influence" of Las Vegas. Which hey Robin, Flagstaff has plenty of "worldly influence". It's a lot smaller than Las Vegas but it has plenty of "worldly influence" thanks to the college crowd and the heavy New-Age vibe drifting up from Sedona into the downtown area. Fundie's listen: extreme sheltering as a means of keeping your children in the flock is extremely damaging and oh yeah doesn't really work. Plus, it makes you look like your faith in an omnipotent, omniscient deity is a crock of shit.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

Plus, it makes you look like your faith in an omnipotent, omniscient deity is a crock of shit.  

Just like the Duggars and their ridiculous 'rules'  for their of age, grown, about to be married adult progeny.   Either they raised them right and they have the morals you installed in them - or you screwed up and God who can open and close wombs and perform miracles, can't stop people from humping each other on a golf course the second they are alone.    Mind boggling.   

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3

Not only is this move harming Gabe and Gwendolyn, but they're also treating Ysebelles condition as a joke. Spinal surgery is a lot easier to handle at 14 than 35! Her scoliosis isn't getting better and the crackpot 'doctor' they saw before definitely didn't help. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic