IGNORED

Sister Wives 6: Five Adults or Are There? Mariah Is Engaged.

Coconut Flan

On 12/26/2018 at 4:18 AM, SweetLaurel said:

I didn't notice that, but  did notice, it looks like more of the same repeated garbage.  Meri is upset and everyone has to pretend to care.  Moving again,   Everyone is upset and Cody has to flex his manliness and the wives pretend to submit,  Someone is engaged and someone will probably have a baby.   Yeah, I'll probably just read the recaps.  Looks like a frustrating watch.   As an aside - I can't believe Meri didn't move to her B&B.   I would have bet that was why she was really buying it.   

I think that meri might actually live at the b&b but pretend to live with the family for the show and the $$

• Upvote 3

Kody in ringlets is enough to get my buy in for at least the first episode of the new season. It's been said many times but how he ever managed to attract 4 woman in the first place let alone marry them all is beyond me.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

Kody wasn't horrible looking when he was younger, but he has not aged well. 

• I Agree 14

• 2 weeks later...

Oh thank God this mess is coming back on the air. I wouldn't know what to watch while doing laundry on Mondays. 

Someone mentioned they all looked like they've gained weight. Following their instagrams, I actually got the opposite impression. They all look like they've lost weight recently and, dare I say, they all look better than ever (regardless of weight)? I've noticed that especially Christine looks like she's finally content with herself, her place in life and the family? Why would it matter if they have gained weight or not? Maybe they've all been a bit stressed out. A move can be extremely exhausting no matter how much you actually want to move. The kids with instagram seem to be pretty content with their life in Flagstaff. I'm curious to see how they're going to explain the move on the show, though. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

On 1/4/2019 at 10:21 AM, Carm_88 said:

Here are pics of Kody at each of his "weddings". He's definitely changed over time and his hair's definitely gotten...stranger.

For more pics of the Browns when they were young and Kody only had 3 wives, see this album (which does initially include Robyn, but most pictures are older): https://hollywoodlife.com/pics/kody-brown-sister-wives-tlc-reality-show-how-they-met-wedding-pics/

Brown Family Weddings.PNG

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Thank You 3

I think it's obvious how Kody convinced 4 women to marry him: he preyed on vulnerable women who felt they were undeserving of attention from someone like him.  Then he uses that to keep them around and let him treat them however he will.  Meri was painfully shy and felt like a wallflower.  She was swept off her feet by the attentions of the handsome, popular Kody.  And I think she agreed to polygamy in order to keep him.

Janelle was overweight in a community that highly stigmatizes weight and already had a failed marriage.  She was "lucky" to get Kody, and he made sure she knew it.  Ditto to Christine, though without the previous marriage.  It's no wonder both of these women reported self-image and self-confidence issues with regards to their weight.  Kody, I believe, fosters this in order to make them feel like if they leave, they will never be deserving of love of another.  This is substantiated by the fact that we've seen him make some very rude comments about their weight and how it was "disgusting" while they were dating...often when their relationships were suffering.  

Robyn had a terrible first marriage that sounded abusive on some level.  She was essentially abandoned by her first husband with 3 kids, one on the spectrum.  And has she ever worked?  That first apartment they were in was very small, and I believe they were being helped by her family.  I'm not sure if Robyn even had the ability to support herself without a husband, and it wasn't going to be easy for her to find a fundamentalist Mormon man willing to take on 3 kids from a previous marriage, despite her looks.  

Everything Kody does with his wives reinforces one central message: "See how LUCKY you are to be loved by a guy like me?  Despite the fact that you are overlooked, overweight, or come with baggage? YOU lucked out, so you should be grateful and put up with me."

So that's how he does it.  Kody's just your run of the mill guy who preys on women's insecurities to get them to stay with him.  Just with particularly gross hair.  

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 12
  • Love 2

They're back! Nothing brings the BEC out of me more than Cody's hair.

It's the countdown show now, and watching Meri again make the birth of Maddy's child all about her is ridiculous, she is so high maintenance. I also think that if they need a therapist to help them communicate and get along (I'm talking about just the wives), after 20 plus years together (excluding Robin), then forget about it, it ain't gonna happen. It's like watching sorority sisters that don't really like each other try to be sisterly, it's fake.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

Meri again. She brings her fellow catfish victim to meet the family, but gets upset when Kody asks for details. Duh, you opened this can of worms that should have remained shut. I just can't with Meri, she is insufferable.

Edited by SilverBeach
To apologize for spelling Kody's name wrong in my earlier post.
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

Meri is already pissing me off. Enough already about the catfishing!!

• I Agree 5
  • Love 1

Now it's Meri and her stupid bed and breakfast. It really is all about Meri. Forget all those other children, give the money to Meri. She is so childish, and her attitude stinks. Kody's hair is repulsive.

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

It’s now blatantly obvious that Meri never completely explained the catfishing situation. The other four appear to be having lightbulb moments of varying degrees from the experience with Kristie. (And good for them) Still, they bend over backward to deal with her nonsense. 

I think these people succeed on tv because they do continue to grow (sorta) from living in ‘the world.’ They do put their shit on tv. Even Kody is capable of the odd revelation or two.

• Upvote 6

Meri never feels "safe" with her family. They are always mollycoddling her like a ten year old or something. Somebody has to be practical! Just present the numbers and show Meri the facts about why they can't afford it at this time. Meri, put a decent business plan together. She thinks she should never be told no, just like with her stupid wet bar. She's all about emotion, but emotion doesn't pay the bills. I really can't with her immaturity.

And why are they moving to Flagstaff? I guess we'll find out next week. Kody sure doesn't mind uprooting everybody on a whim.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 8

That was baffling. She has nothing to do all day and she had no business plan. They had legitimate business questions about what might actually be a solid business (some of their online businesses are kinda iffy - this is a proper thing)

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

19 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

Now it's Meri and her stupid bed and breakfast. It really is all about Meri. Forget all those other children, give the money to Meri. She is so childish, and her attitude stinks. Kody's hair is repulsive.

Big surprise..Meri cried again. She didn't even tell the family she was considering buying the B&B right away, IIRC

Meri and her woe is me is ruining the show. 

On 1/4/2019 at 9:21 AM, Carm_88 said:

His hair at his daughter's wedding that will be shown this season. Did he even comb/brush it on the day? Doesn't look like it...looks like a good awful birds nest. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

I'm usually really good at bad tv. I love bad tv. But I couldn't even watch last night. I fast forwarded thru the whole therapy crap and meeting crap. The catfish story is dead. Beaten horse. Move on.

• Upvote 4

On 1/17/2019 at 11:55 PM, Georgiana said:

I think it's obvious how Kody convinced 4 women to marry him: he preyed on vulnerable women who felt they were undeserving of attention from someone like him.  Then he uses that to keep them around and let him treat them however he will. (snip)

I'm not disagreeing with you. I think that's precisely what Kody did. But in their faith, this is also what the women have to do. As a woman it is your duty to build up your husband's kingdom.  Don't believe me, look it up. It's in "Doctrines and Covenants". https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/132?lang=eng

That's a church site. And so is this: https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/od/1?lang=eng

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 2
  • I Agree 2

Just now, samurai_sarah said:

I'm not disagreeing with you. I think that's precisely what Kody did. But in their faith, this is also what the women have to do. As a woman it is your duty to build up your husband's kingdom.  Don't believe me, look it up. It's in "Doctrines and Covenants". https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/132?lang=eng

That's a church site. And so is this: https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/od/1?lang=eng

Yes, thank you.  There's definitely a religious aspect here that both plays into their need to get married (or remarried) to an "approved" spouse AND discourages them from leaving him.  Kody definitely uses that to his advantage to manipulate them.

21 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

Meri never feels "safe" with her family. They are always mollycoddling her like a ten year old or something. Somebody has to be practical! Just present the numbers and show Meri the facts about why they can't afford it at this time. Meri, put a decent business plan together. She thinks she should never be told no, just like with her stupid wet bar. She's all about emotion, but emotion doesn't pay the bills. I really can't with her immaturity.

Meri acts like she's the only adult who has EVER had a hard time with anything.  You know what, Meri, maybe THIS is why your grown daughter has a strained relationship with you: because as an LGBTQ+ person, she's experienced real issues due to NO fault on her part whereas you keep crying over the fact that your poor choices had negative consequences for you.  How is she supposed to relate to that on an adult level?  How is anyone?

Meri is an emotional vampire.  Everyone in her life needs to stop letting her feed on them and tell her firmly to either ship up or ship out.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 3

The Browns aren't LDS, they are Apostolic Brethren or something. It's a fundamentalist offshoot of the LDS, but there must be some different scripture since the LDS doesn't officially practice polygamy. 

• Upvote 4

I just watched the season premiere - and whoa . . . the last fifteen minutes, with the round (ok, it's more like oval, but whatever) table was intense!

Sometimes I'm a bit torn about the wives - how much is their upbringing, how much is their personalities, how much is just the general dynamic of a plural marriage - but in this specific scene, I felt like Meri came across really badly, and I didn't actually blame Kody for getting up and taking a moment to cool down, I would have, too!

Meri has been entitled to the family pot of money for her entire marriage - but for this business venture, it's "my house".  I felt like instead of dividing all the income by four women every month (*if* that's how they do it), the really equal thing would be to give a certain base amount to every woman, and then an addition for every child living at home.  Yes, it's not fair and sad, that Meri was only ever able to have one child - but let's say they get 2k a month.  2k for one woman and her child, leaves plenty of vacation money left over (if Kody and Meri's frequent trips from long ago attest to), vs. 2k for Christine or Janelle - with like five to six kids each.  Anyways, however it's split (and the above scenario is just my personal opinion), it.has.always.been.split.

She can't have it both ways: "I want to be a part of the family, why am not invited to things??" to "I want 40k from you, but don't think you can control my business or house" (yes, she actually said that last part).  So taking their money every month from (whatever pittance each wife can contribute) is fine and dandy - and asking for 40k is somehow totally "reasonable" in her mind BUT how dare they question her for a business plan, or be told she might have to wait six months for them to gather that amount (they never said no!).  Suddenly, it turns into "Me vs. them - they won't support me."

It's just mindboggeling.  /rantover

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6

On 1/21/2019 at 8:38 PM, SilverBeach said:

The Browns aren't LDS, they are Apostolic Brethren or something. It's a fundamentalist offshoot of the LDS, but there must be some different scripture since the LDS doesn't officially practice polygamy. 

The United Apostolic Brethren or UAB is one of several groups that split off from the LDS church when they abandoned polygamy in order to get Utah into the United States. Joseph Smith (the founder of the LDS church) had "visions" from God, and one of those was that polygamy was required to get into heaven (apologies for the quotations to anyone who is LDS. I struggle believing that God would ever send a message to Joseph Smith that his "wife should quit her muttering".) 

At any rate. The practice of polygamy had them run off (sometimes violently) from pretty much everywhere they settled so they went West and settled in the Salt Lake Valley before it was part of the US. When they decided they wanted in join the Union, they were told they had to quit with the polygamy. Some felt that that was abandoning the faith and split from the main church. They still seem to believe in polygamy in the afterlife. A man does not need to get an annulment to get remarried after his wife dies, but women do.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

On 1/22/2019 at 3:38 AM, SilverBeach said:

The LDS doesn't officially endorse polygamy legally, because Utah could only become a US state if they disavowed. The AUB (which the Browns are part of), the FLDS and Centennial Park, never agreed. There are many others, some of them independent, others know for horrible reasons, like the LeBarons.

• Upvote 3

On 1/20/2019 at 10:18 PM, AliceInFundyland said:

That was baffling. She has nothing to do all day and she had no business plan. 

<sarcasm> What about her online clothing business that was mentioned several times? That must keep her very busy. You mean Meri isn’t making enough money selling lularoe to finance her dreams? I’m shocked. Shocked, I tell you. 

• Haha 11

15 hours ago, DaisyD said:

The United Apostolic Brethren or UAB is one of several groups that split off from the LDS church when they abandoned polygamy in order to get Utah into the United States. Joseph Smith (the founder of the LDS church) had "visions" from God, and one of those was that polygamy was required to get into heaven (apologies for the quotations to anyone who is LDS. I struggle believing that God would ever send a message to Joseph Smith that his "wife should quit her muttering".) 

At any rate. The practice of polygamy had them run off (sometimes violently) from pretty much everywhere they settled so they went West and settled in the Salt Lake Valley before it was part of the US. When they decided they wanted in join the Union, they were told they had to quit with the polygamy. Some felt that that was abandoning the faith and split from the main church. They still seem to believe in polygamy in the afterlife. A man does not need to get an annulment to get remarried after his wife dies, but women do.

14 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

The LDS doesn't officially endorse polygamy legally, because Utah could only become a US state if they disavowed. The AUB (which the Browns are part of), the FLDS and Centennial Park, never agreed. There are many others, some of them independent, others know for horrible reasons, like the LeBarons.

I am aware of Mormon history and that the mainstream LDS church stopped practicing polygamy (in this life) so Utah could obtain statehood.  I've been following the fundamentalist Mormons for years. Perhaps they use the same scripture, with the fundamentalists believing they must practice polygamy on earth and not just in the hereafter. It is all fascinating.

• Upvote 2

I’m not through the episode yet but - I wonder where Meri is now. I wonder if this explains the season delay, any part of this Flagstaff thing...

It certainly seems likely. These are big expository episodes with little filler early on. We have barely seen other kids, no mention of move.

Though, if she was fulltiming in Parowan seems somone might have spotted her on the regular.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic