IGNORED

Josiah Duggar Part 7: Waiting for the Wedding Pics

laPapessaGiovanna

Briefly popping out of lurkerdom to say: Duke... Swanson?

This kid's name is Duke Swanson?

dukesilver.jpg

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an Uncle Earl who was born in the late 60's.

My first name means princess.

If title names are a thing, I'm hoping one of the Bates sons names his child Master (because I'm really a 13 year old boy).

54 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

I have an Uncle Earl (great uncle) who just turned 97.  It never even occurred to me it was odd, nor did it ever really connect in my head that it was a title, not a name other places.  Its a common enough name.

One of my great grandfathers was named Earl and I have a first cousin who was named Earl for him. 

23 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Briefly popping out of lurkerdom to say: Duke... Swanson?

This kid's name is Duke Swanson?

dukesilver.jpg

That’s exactly where my mind went, too!! I wonder if he and Marc Anthony will be friends :my_rolleyes:

Luke or Jesse would have been the Godly choice if they wanted to name him After a DoH character I would think. 

7 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

The only Duke I know is a French Bulldog.

That and I grew up playing early versions of Duke Nukem on my dad's PC.

Lol, the Duke I know of was a huge husky! 

@JermajestyDuggar Pretty sure Gwen Stefani named her son Kingston because she has a fondness of Jamaica (Kingston is the capital). 

I once knew a brother/sister pair named Prince and Princess. They weren't American but people have varied preferences for names. 

I always got the impression that Marjorie and Josiah were pressured into courting. Maybe everyone thought they looked cute together, or maybe they were caught flirting and it got forced into something more. I know for my husband he came from a super strict baptist upbringing, and the first girl that showed any interest in him he thought was "the one" because obviously if you are interested you date/ court and if you date someone you have to marry them. Long story short they broke up after a few hard knocks and I met and married him. Muahahahaha :) 

9 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Maybe they're hoping he'll play basketball for Duke University? lol

NEVER.

DOOK is the worst. THE WORST. 

5 hours ago, brusselsgriffon said:

That’s exactly where my mind went, too!! I wonder if he and Marc Anthony will be friends :my_rolleyes:

Duke Silver! The only good Duke. Except the mayonnaise! 

9 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

I have an Uncle Earl (great uncle) who just turned 97.  It never even occurred to me it was odd, nor did it ever really connect in my head that it was a title, not a name other places.  Its a common enough name.

I have an Uncle Earl too!  My Mom's oldest brother, born to sharecroppers in TN who I'm sure knew nothing about the monarchy.  He'd be 101 if he were alive.  

9 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

It didn’t strike me as odd either. @SorenaJis from a Scandinavian country though (Sorry I cant remember which one!) I’m guessing a cultural difference would explain why it would seem like an odd name choice to her. 

True. And then again here we have the names Rock and Bear, which would seem odd to others, but are relatively normal names for us. 

We also have (relatively)  common names literally meaning “life”, “happiness”, “victory”, “north”, “humming” and “lark”, which I suppose other cultures might consider odd as well. 

7 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

I think it's more likely he is named after the Dukes of Hazard 

Or David Duke. That's sadly not outside the realm of possibility. 

4 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

@JermajestyDuggar Pretty sure Gwen Stefani named her son Kingston because she has a fondness of Jamaica (Kingston is the capital). 

I once knew a brother/sister pair named Prince and Princess. They weren't American but people have varied preferences for names. 

I mean, the queen of Jordan's name is Rania, which means/is derived from the word for "queen" in a few languages, so her name is literally Queen Queen. 

8 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

I believe he was named after the city. However what was the city named for? ;)

9 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

I think it's because her/No Doubt's music has a big ska and reggae influence, hence she's always had an affinity there. I'm surprised she didn't name a kid Rudy.

This discussion is making me think of a letter they had on Ask a Manager.  The Letter Writer is a man who goes by his middle name, King.  That's the name he is known by professionally, and the name he uses in his personal life.  He got a job offer from a company, but was told that he had to go by a different name at the office because an employee with seniority objected to his name on religious grounds.  I guess she believed that Jesus is the only one who can be called "King?"  Anyway, the advice was not to give in to their demands, and King sent in an update later that he ended up not taking that job.

9 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I mean, the queen of Jordan's name is Rania, which means/is derived from the word for "queen" in a few languages, so her name is literally Queen Queen. 

In Quebec, the name "Reine" was not unusual in the 19th or first part of the 20th C. Not sure of the origins though, or if it was a thing in other french speaking cultures.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived