IGNORED

Josiah Duggar Part 7: Waiting for the Wedding Pics

laPapessaGiovanna

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like a skirt to me. She's done everything else in skirts with bicycle shorts underneath. You can also see her in the same or a similar skirt on his Instagram from when she was first introduced.

On 6/15/2018 at 9:00 PM, SapphireSlytherin said:

Why? 

Yes, I know that's a one-word "reply" but I'm honestly curious.

Because it's hard to fault for it after them having spent years having no individualized attentions. 

Doubt it's shorts since Michelle outed Siah at that event they spoke at, saying he was having harder time controlling himself. She wouldn't want to lead him down the path of masturbation sin!

1 hour ago, Shadoewolf said:

Doubt it's shorts since Michelle outed Siah at that event they spoke at, saying he was having harder time controlling himself. She wouldn't want to lead him down the path of masturbation sin!

What's the source for that? (I'm sorry, I hate asking people for their sources, lol - I can never think of a way to make it sound less rude! I'm not saying you're wrong, I just want to know where you heard this!)

Edit: Nevermind, found it! It’s on the Keeping Up With Fundies tumblr. It’s just the standard line they all give when they’re engaged.

On 6/16/2018 at 12:01 AM, Ivycoveredtower said:

Oh I watched a few of those episodes. first of all I hate 99% of those dresses but it was just crazy spend all that money on that ugly dress and live in a camper yeah that makes sense. :pb_rollseyes:

Living in caravans and being mobile is part of their cultural traditions. There is a long and painful history of discrimination against travellers and gypsies in the UK. Evicting them from their camp sites and getting them to move on, often through coercive use of force, is part of that legacy. Assuming that the most rational use of resources is to invest in property, like in most mainstream Western cultures, is not something we should generalize on to traditional societies who have an entirely different worldview. In fact stereotypes about "lazy, drunk, thieving gypsies" was often based on the notion that not holding down a steady job or buying a house meant a lack of moral character- measuring them by mainstream norms. 

I don't want to call out anyone in particular, but I have to say I am very surprised and disappointed to see the term "gypsy' thrown around so casually in this thread. It is a racial slur used to describe Romani people, and we really shouldn't be perpetuating its use, much like we don't use other racial slurs on this site. If this is news to you, please take the time to do some research. I like this article: https://now.org/blog/the-g-word-isnt-for-you-how-gypsy-erases-romani-women/.

On 6/18/2018 at 1:04 AM, Shadoewolf said:

I read about that. Poor Josiah. Not only isn’t he able to just love the woman he’s marrying in 2 weeks anyway, he can’t even take the pressure off himself. And to have your mom talk about that publically...like Jimbob’s “has’t kissed a girl” 16th birthday message...urgh. 

17 minutes ago, JillyO said:

I don't want to call out anyone in particular, but I have to say I am very surprised and disappointed to see the term "gypsy' thrown around so casually in this thread. It is a racial slur used to describe Romani people, and we really shouldn't be perpetuating its use, much like we don't use other racial slurs on this site. If this is news to you, please take the time to do some research. I like this article: https://now.org/blog/the-g-word-isnt-for-you-how-gypsy-erases-romani-women/.

I'm wondering if this is different in the U.S. or within different traveling groups? There is an area in western Maryland with a lot of Irish Travellers (not Romani descent) who refer to themselves as gypsies, and many say it is their preferred nomenclature. There is also a decent sized group of people of Romani descent in and around Baltimore who also freely refer to themselves by that term and use it as a descriptor on the titles of their YouTube videos.

This actually isn't a theoretical question on my part, it's something that's been puzzling me because I may have to write something referencing this group of people and I want to be accurate and respectful but I find lots of different answers in my research. 

It's definitely more complicated than simply being a racial slur you should never use, and people overcorrect by calling everyone traditionally referred to as "gypsies" Roma, even though that isn't accurate for everyone. It's kind of like the term "Eskimo," which is seen as derogatory by many people and so a lot of people now use "Inuit" instead, except that not all "Eskimos" are Inuit and some Alaska natives use the term "Eskimo" to refer to themselves.

Personally, I prefer to err on the safe side and not use either term, but it's not a simple issue.

3 hours ago, JillyO said:

Well, the shows that are discussed are called 'big fat gypsy wedding' and 'gypsy sisters'. It is logical that people, especially if they are not familiar, use this word to discuss them.

On the UK show they normally use the word 'traveller' which I would use as well. But then again, some people will not know what I am talking about.

IIrc the terms travellers, gypsies and Sinti and Roma belong actually to different groups and are all used as slur and simoultaniously used very proudly by those groups. 

This makes it very confusing and complicated. I don’t use gypsies as the groups that are relevant in my country define themselves as Sinti and Roma. But sadly even this term carries so much prejudice that It wouldn’t really matter which one you use.

9 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Personally, I prefer to err on the safe side and not use either term, but it's not a simple issue.

That's what I usually do, but because of what I would be writing, I would need to use the term they most often use among themselves...which overwhelmingly seems to be gypsies. I'm thinking at this point I should just see if there's an organization that advises on it and email them.

14 hours ago, JillyO said:

it is literally the name of the show.  if they don't care about being on a show with that name why should we care. 

9 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

it is literally the name of the show.  if they don't care about being on a show with that name why should we care. 

Some of us, as we mentioned, are interested in their culture. If you don’t care, stay out of the conversation.

I've dated a boy from Romania and he said most of the Gypsies from Romania don't mind being called that but the ones from Britain do. So Idk if that helps at all or not. 

There were three broad groups in the UK, when we're talking about gypsies and travellers.   Romani are the first one, but "Traveller" itself refers to 2 different groups:  Irish Travellers, who are culturally distinct group, and generally from long-standing Traveller families, but ethnically Irish; and "new age" Travellers, who have chosen a lifestyle - think Sparkling Lauren.  To call either of these latter two groups Roma would be downright wrong.   Some communities from all three groups, but especially Romani, will self-define as Gypsies, and an accepted terminology is "Gypsies and Travellers" over here, and there's a Gypsy Council that's a Romani leadership group/voice.  Then there are other groups who living a travelling lifestyle, but aren't Travellers, like fairground families. It's definitely not a cohesive community, either.

One of the interesting things is that one can be a Traveller without being nomadic, and many Romani and Irish Traveller families in the UK are actually in settled communities, but still keeping distinct cultural differences.   (An obvious example is around the continued link to horses, even when people like in a city - for example, near where I live, there's a hill in the city where horses graze on common ground, belonging to families from Irish Traveller culture, though they've been settled in the area for a couple of generations.)

It's getting more complicated, though, as with homelessness back on the rise thanks to severe austerity measures, there's now a new subset, of tent people, and people who live in vans and vehicles, who aren't ethnically Roma or Irish Travellers and don't identify as New Age - and who don't qualify for support such as the Traveller sites that Local Authorities are legally obligated to provide.  They get moved on a lot, though of course it's a different situation in the south of England, where it's warmer than the north, or Scotland.  Then there are problems when families/communities want to settle - this article is super-interesting about that too...

https://www.economist.com/britain/2018/01/11/who-is-a-gypsy-britains-new-definition-is-causing-problems

(ETA I think the Romani in the UK are also different to the Roma in Romania, for example, so it's never simple!  Except, as @RubyRei says, "gypped" is a huge slur, and there is a ton of prejudice against all the Romani/Travelling communities in the UK, on individual and institutional levels)

I’ve always heard that the term Gypsy is offensive and not that the opportunity to say it ever comes up in my life, but I’m glad I now get to do more research and educate myself! Thanks to everyone for adding their knowledge and opinions!

However, I never say the word “gypped” (even typing it feels icky) and I think a general rule of thumb is “do not turn peoples into verbs to describe negative acts”. 

The term gypsy can be used in an offensive manner and some people from the travelling community don't have issue with the term others do and it also depends on the context of how it used. The people who have appeared on shows with gypsy on the title are most likely not to be offended by the word.

The prejudice is unbelievable. I've heard even people who are otherwise anti-racism be like "But Gypsies really are bad!" It's not really a prejudice I've seen much in the US since there just aren't a lot of Romani or Traveler people around so it was startling to go to Europe and see just how much those groups are hated.

Of note, the winner of The Voice France a few years ago, Kendji Girac, is Gitano (a word which has the same origin as "Gypsy" but it seems like it is more embraced by the Romani people in Spain) and his debut single, which did very well in France, was a bilingual (French and Spanish) song celebrating Gitano culture. It's just nice to see some positive representation in pop culture.

Spoiler

Does anyone else see the clear ”this is not what I want my life to be like” in his eyes?

Cute babies though. 

D95A5A18-55B8-4642-938C-7B95AC1BBA97.png

He seems preatty scary like "how did i end here?"  And "seriously this could be my Life for the next 20 years??"

1 minute ago, SorenaJ said:

Who is the baby to the left? Lauren's brother? 

Yeah he is Duke and i think is just 2 days apart from Gid but i don't remember who is older. 

This confirm i think that Lauren's family use D for the Boys from Daddy so i think they use L for the girl from Mom

2 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

Who is the baby to the left? Lauren's brother? 

I think it’s Mason.

I imagine someone going: In one year that could be YOUR babies!

Someone else: Wouldn’t it be super CUTE if you guys have honeymoon twins!

Someone: So special!

009B7849-FF32-4303-86DF-2B09067C119A.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Markie said:

I think it’s Mason.

It’s Laurens brother Duke. He is two days older then Gideon. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived