IGNORED

Josiah Duggar Part 7: Waiting for the Wedding Pics

laPapessaGiovanna

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soon-to-be-Neuroboy and I had been talking about engagement since October of 2016. I picked out a ring in March 2017 (didn't mean to pick the exact one but it was just it lol) and then waited...and waited...and waited....and for someone with anxiety this was actually really hard! In the summer, Stb-Neuroboy made a huge deal about how he couldn't visit my family with me this summer because work/too poor/etc and I was disappointed because he hadn't seen them in a while and also I've grown up going to a family RV on a lake every summer and wanted to take him to said lake. Anyway, last minute he said he could visit part of the time I was there...and you see where this is going...but he had made such a big deal about what a hardship this was for him so I didn't think anything of it. And so he comes to the lake with us, we start taking a tour around the lake in the pontoon, and my parents stop the boat by the inlet where there are these beautiful overhanging trees and its my favorite spot. and then my parents have this whole thing about "seeing an eagle in the tree" and my mom shoves binoculars on my face, I can't find the damn bird, and when I turn around to give the binoculars away, he's down on one knee. I was in a tank top and shorts and baseball cap, which as a medium-maintenance person with anxiety was not how I planned it, and it was perfect. My parents took pictures of the event, and then after I said yes, pulled champagne and flowers from the back of the (small) boat, and THEN the RV had been decorated when we got back and they took us out for dinner. My parents and I had a really rough time a few years ago, but I wanted them present at the engagement to move forward with them in my new family, and they were super touched, it was great, and now we become Neuroboy and Neurogirl almost a year-to-the-day this July. 

(Sorry for gushing I'm just so excited!)

I posted my engagement story last night, but it fell victim to the server host. (Huge shout-out to @Destiny for all her hard work on getting the issue resolved asap!!! :my_heart:)

So here goes again: Mr. O proposed around 1am on a weeknight, in our bedroom. I was at a friend's house for a girls' night, and he thought that was the perfect opportunity to prepare his proposal. So he set up dozens of candles, dressed up, put on my favorite romantic song at the time, and waited for me to come home. I texted him around 10:30pm, saying I wouldn't be much longer. To which he responded "no rush," and since I was having a great time with my girlfriends, I ended up staying until 12:30am. Got home around 1am to find the apartment completely dark apart from the dozens of candles leading me from the door all the way into our bedroom, my favorite song playing. Husband was waiting for me in the bedroom with a ring box in his hands. When I saw him, I hugged him, and then he opened the ring box and said "...so?" To which I responded "Well, you have to ask first." :pb_lol: So he asked, and I said yes, and that was that. Short, sweet, and intimate, just the way we both like it. :)

Except the poor guy had to listen to the same song on repeat for hours and had actually had to swap out all the candles at one point because they'd burned down. Guess he didn't think I would take the "no rush" so seriously. :pb_lol:

My guy and I had been living in sin for about a year when he was preparing to present for his doctorate and was looking for jobs. He was considering a position across the country, and I talked to my therapist one Tues. afternoon about how I was anxious about moving with him and leaving the rest of my life behind while we weren't "official." That night when I got home, I was fixing some dinner when he asked me about my appointment, and I told him what my therapist and I discussed. He left the kitchen and I thought, "okay..." but then came back in with a ring box and told me that he didn't want me to have to worry even a few more weeks before his planned surprise proposal after his post-doctoral presentation. We were both in sweatpants and it was perfect. :)

I proposed to Mr Pianokeeper while we were sitting in a car. In the parking lot of a chain restaurant. I gave him an engagement watch I'd had engraved. He was astonished and said yes and maybe cried a little (don't tell). And then we went into the chain restaurant and had lunch. And it was great.  :)

My mom was brushing her teeth and my dad was taking out/cleaning his contacts, and he off the cuff said ‘So how about we get married?’

I posted my story last night, but it also fell victim to the server host.

My husband and I got together when we were 19 and he proposed a little over six years later. He asked in front of my bookcases in our spare room, which is now our daughter’s nursery. He got down on one knee, very nervously looked at me, and asked if he needed to make a speech. I told him he didn’t need to, so he skipped right to asking and I said yes. He hugged me right after and told me he’d been wanting to ask me that for a long time, which was really sweet. We both have anxiety and I don’t like being the center of attention, so a private proposal definitely worked best for us. 

(There was a bit more to it then that. He planned lunch at a special spot and we got chocolates from a shop special to us as well, but because of his anxiety I ended up helping him with everything, which ultimately helped my anxiety a bit as well. He wanted my input, but he ultimately made the final calls himself and he did a nice job.)

Mr Toro and I had a trip to France planned... we got to the most amazing place i have ever stayed- a beautiful, ancient mill house, where the owners ushered us into a wildflower and butterfly-filled garden by the side of a meandering stream, and brought us out chilled wine and the most amazing food. It was perfect... And... He didn't propose.

5 days later we were on a freezing cold beach, surrounded by weird people doing yoga, and having a conversation about dead animals in World War 1... And he thought THAT was the appropriate time/place to do it! Shit proposal. Great marriage though.

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

My husband and I got together when we were 19 and he proposed a little over six years later.

TWINSIES!!!

:pb_lol:

I posted my engagement story last night but I think it got eaten server host issues. 

I got engaged last January. I knew we were going to get married because we had been talking about it for over a year but my fiance  wanted to buy a ring and do all that stuff, which is nice but not the number one thing I care about. 

So, one day, while fiance and I were having lunch, I had mentioned how frustrating it was for me that we weren't married yet. I went down a long list of reasons why it would make more sense for us to be married. I won't elaborate on those details but it really would make a lot of things easier for us. After talking about it, he goes upstairs and tells me not to follow him. I was confused. After a few minutes he comes back downstairs and tell me to get in the car, because we were going to go buy a ring. He had been planning on surprising me on my birthday in March but I like that we got to pick out the engagement ring together. After we bought the ring he asked me to marry him officially in front of the jewelry store in the snow. It was a good day and I didn't expect that when I had woken up that morning. We're getting married at the end of September exactly 4 years to the day after we started dating.

According my Mom, my Dad proposed by calling her from work saying they could get more money back in their tax return if they were married. Mom thought it was a good enough reason.

When my hubby and I were dating, we went to a football game, and a guy there proposed to his girlfriend publicly. Whenever I see that I'll happily applaud, but I never wanted anything like that. Proposals should be at least somewhat private; like involving family and close friends may be ok, but I never really wanted anything like that. Like, if he's gonna ask me to marry him, I'm the first one he tells, right? So, that was a conversation piece already about, yes, that's nice, but please not like that. And he did propose in his room in his parents' house where he was then living(not that day; 5 months later). They were upstairs cleaning up supper, and we were downstairs. I'd told him, for that, you don't have to get down on your knees. So it was pretty simple; he handed me the ring, and with it came a reading from the jewelry store, and I read it out loud and said yes.

1 hour ago, BullyJBG said:

When my hubby and I were dating, we went to a football game, and a guy there proposed to his girlfriend publicly. Whenever I see that I'll happily applaud, but I never wanted anything like that. Proposals should be at least somewhat private; like involving family and close friends may be ok, but I never really wanted anything like that. Like, if he's gonna ask me to marry him, I'm the first one he tells, right? So, that was a conversation piece already about, yes, that's nice, but please not like that. And he did propose in his room in his parents' house where he was then living(not that day; 5 months later). They were upstairs cleaning up supper, and we were downstairs. I'd told him, for that, you don't have to get down on your knees. So it was pretty simple; he handed me the ring, and with it came a reading from the jewelry store, and I read it out loud and said yes.

I told hubby after one of our first serious 'future' talks, that if he ever chose to propose to me, I wanted it to be relatively private, and if he did it at a sporting event or even a restaurant in front of a bunch of strangers I would say no.

He proposed to me at a New Years Party, less than 20 good friends and family members.  It was perfect, except I had imbibed a little too much before midnight and don't remember the finer details of what he said, just the basics. 

This will sound awful, but I have no idea how Mr. Fortress and I came to see ourselves as engaged.  We were out having dinner and sort of just decided to get married, I think.  No ring, no bended knee.  Closing in on 23 years now.

We had been together since I was 18 and he was 24 (big age gap I know, but it’s worked out just fine).  I went to uni, and then we bought a house when I was a few months short of 25.  We didn’t live together because it wasn’t the done thing back then.  But I got fed up of waiting and said to him that he had until I was 25 to propose.   On the boat ramp at the end of our street, not long before midnight on the night before my 25th birthday, he proposed.  He was never one to be hurried.

It wasn’t actually a very romantic proposal, and although he’d ordered a ring he didn’t know my size so I had to wait for that.  But I was so happy and we have been married 25 years now.

We were going to tell my family at my birthday dinner the next night, but my middle brother told my parents the night before that his girlfriend was pregnant, and that they were going to discuss their hurried wedding plans when they came over for my birthday dinner.  So we kept it secret until the ring was made.  It was nice actually, because we picked a church and a restaurant for the reception before telling anyone, so we had the wedding we wanted.

My husband wanted to ask my dad's permission to propose. I'm his only child, and he never remarried after my parents divorced when I was young. For him, it's always been just us. Because of that, my husband knew the gesture would mean a lot to him, and honestly, thinking about it makes more emotional than the actual proposal.

It's also a funnier story, IMO. My family is batshit crazy/dysfunctional (Dad more tolerable than Mom), so we don't visit often. We also both hate driving in the car, but we made the trip to my hometown, primarily so he could talk to my dad. He'd survived the whole weekend with my family, only to clam up as we were leaving my dad's farm. We'd made it to the highway before he decided it was now or never, so he had to turn around and drive back to the house. :my_rolleyes: 

We're both good at making things harder and more awkward than they need to be. I think that's why we get along so well.

I can't remember why he had to wait to pick up the ring once we'd picked it out, but I was so ready to have it and be officially engaged -- even if I knew we'd have to take the ring back to be resized. In addition to being awkward, I am also impatient. :my_biggrin: To be fair, we knew very early into our relationship that we wanted to get married, so this was something we'd been talking about for a while. Anyway, he lit a bunch of candles while I was running errands, and when I got home he proposed: "Will you marry me? Also, I'd get down on one knee, but today was leg day and they really hurt."

Obviously, he has a way with words. His version of our wedding vows included something about "I promise to keep you cool in summer and warm in the winter." In all seriousness, though, he is a wonderful partner, and when push comes to shove he's always had my back, for as long as we've known each other. (We met in the college library when he walked in wearing shorts as it was snowing outside, and I made fun of him for it.)

My husband and I had been together for little over a year when my family (parents, sister plus boyfriend, my then boyfriend and I) went on vacation together to a place in Southern Italy where we often spent the summer in my childhood. It is a place I love very much and that holds countless happy memories for me. One evening we had dinner at a very romantic location on top of a cliff overlooking a moonlit bay. Walking back to where we were staying, nothing happened.

The next evening was the last of our stay. We had just had had dinner and were walking back to our place, when my husband suggested we could climb up to the cliffs once more. I grumpily responded that I wasn't going to do that because it was dark and we'd probably fall to our deaths. My husband then weakly suggested we could go to the beach instead. I complained that I was tired, and why would we have to do that now when it was late, etc., but eventually agreed. My husband then spent some rummaging around in his bags (looking for the ring, as he explained later), which just served to annoy me further.

When we got to the beach - deserted, moonlight, the scent of fading Italian summer in the air - my husband pulled out a ring and asked me to marry him. He had wanted to go down on his knee but was so nervous and overwhelmed he forgot :D I started crying before I could say yes because I was so touched by how sweet he was and how afraid he looked, and then he cried too, and we hugged and that was it :)

We got engaged after 9 months of dating. It was a when-you-know-you-know thing. I was 23 and he was 31. We were doing long distance bc I was in the Uk at school, him home in Canada. We had talked on the phone and agreed we wanted to marry but I didn't want that to be my engagement. We took a two week trip to Italy shortly after. In Venice on Christmas eve we found a simple, perfect ring by chance. He proposed right after in St Marks piazza, but was super nervous  "I'm not sure what to say" and I said "just ask". He did and I said yes. He went to put it on my left hand but I said it was the right because that's what all the Italian women were doing (I'd never paid attention till that trip)! After we got back to the UK I realized and switched it to left. We've been together 10 years

My grandparents were on a date and he asked her to look in the glove compartment of the car. She opened it and found the ring box. "Do you want that?" he asked, which is so him. Evidently she did. They'll be married 61 years this June. My H and I got as close to their wedding date as possible when we picked ours (both first week in June).

My husband proposed at the end of a hike. At the time, we went hiking together every Sunday, and he was worried he wasn't going to be able to surprise me, so he did it then. It was great because it was just us and we were about half an hour's drive from cell phone range, so for the first couple of hours, nobody knew but us. He proposed with my ring without the center diamond in it though, so I didn't have a ring to wear for a week or so. The center stone on my ring is a family heirloom from my side, so my mom had given it to me. Husband didn't dare take it because I might have noticed it missing and panicked or suspected something. We went to a jewelry store the afternoon we got engaged to get the stone set in my ring. It all worked out :) 

I do find it interesting how many proposals aren't "normal" in the sense of what we're fed a proposal is supposed to be. I kind of like it better that way. And as with everyone above, I would have mortified if he had proposed in a public place. We put an absolute cap of 60 people on our wedding because neither one of us likes being the center of attention or having all those eyes on us and only wanted people we were close to there. 

16 minutes ago, Runningfromreality said:

I do find it interesting how many proposals aren't "normal" in the sense of what we're fed a proposal is supposed to be. I kind of like it better that way.

Agreed! I love reading everyone's unique proposal stories in this thread (and other past ones). My husband and I didn't do most of the traditional engagement/wedding stuff (for various reasons) but we did what was right for us at the time. Now we've been married for a while, we just designed new rings together to celebrate our commitment and it felt so fantastic and meaningful.

I think everyone and their partners should focus on what is important to them personally, however traditional or non-traditional that might be!

he was in his mom's kitchen...i came in and said 'shit, i'm pregnant again, we should get married' he said 'okay'. been together 37 years, married 31. take that, fundies! but i am jealous of pretty proposals!

1 hour ago, Runningfromreality said:

And as with everyone above, I would have mortified if he had proposed in a public place. 

When my sister and her husband were dating, they talked about getting engaged, and she said she only had two stipulations - don't propose around a major holiday, and don't do it in public. What does he do? Proposes 5 days before Christmas and in the middle of a restaurant LOL. In his defense, he meant to do it when they were taking a sleigh ride through a Winter Wonderland forest, but it was closed and he was so nervous he just blurted it out when they went for dinner instead. Luckily, she said yes and they're still happily married (second baby was due yesterday! Come on, baby!)

Awww I love reading everyone’s engagement stories!  

My story is a series of unfortunate events for Soon-to-be Mr BlessaYourHeart. 

We were supposed to be going on the Ferris wheel with my mum at the town fair but my mum was working late and too tired so didn’t want to go. I then said I didn’t want to go either as he and I had already been on it earlier in the week. He was so agitated and I didn’t know why and the agitatedness continued when I said I didn’t want to go a walk, could we just go to his house (lives with his parents but they were away for the night) and bake (there was plan a and b gone for him lol). And that we did. We baked and I was talking really enthusiastically about all these crazy stories about serial killers I had been reading about and he seemed like he just wanted to shut me up and had no interest, which made me annoyed at him :pb_lol:

Anyway I went to the bathroom and when I came back he said we should write messages to eachother on the brownies we had baked. And like a good heathen i wrote ‘sex?’ To make a joke and lighten the mood. He handed me his and it said ‘marry me?’ And when I looked up he was on one knee with a ring. I cried so much that I couldn’t speak and he had to ask me 3 times before he got firm confirmation that it was a yes :pb_lol:.

My husband and I started dating in the summer of 2009. He told me multiple times that he did not think that marriage was necessary and that he loved me and wanted to spend the rest of his life with me without getting married. I’m more a romantic type so marriage for me was important and he knew that.

2013, Dec 21st:

I was making a gingerbread house in the kitchen for a friend’s birthday later that night. He called me severel times from the living room (we were living together for 1 year already) but I had my hands full of icing because those gingerbread house walls would not stick together. After the third time that he called me I was sooooo annoyed that I went to the living room about to say something like “shut up”

The moment I enter the room, I see him sitting under the Christmas tree with a huge ribbon around his neck. The first thing I thought was that this was just a creative way to be like “unwrap me, let’s have sex!” But then he made a beautiful speech, asked me to marry him and he gave me a golden diamond ring, a ring that we found in our first appartment stuck in an old wooden drawer. We got married 8 months later in a small ceremony and all our (non professionally taken) wedding pictures show me with a glass/bottle of champagne because my best friend was making sure to not leave me “dry” that day :-D

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived