IGNORED

BRADRICK! Divorce Part 3: Now With Remarriage?

Destiny

To clarify, I personally was not trying to suggest that Kelly's new husband is a child abuser.  I realize, re-reading my comment, that it comes across that way.  

What I meant when I said what I said was:

a. he is giving me squicky vibes, period - not anything to do specifically with the children.  And the being that old and unmarried sends up warning flags to me because what I am imagining is that he has tried and been turned down numerous times.  Of course I could be completely wrong.

b. I am praying for the children because I cannot imagine being that young, having your father ripped out of your life nearly completely, and a "new dad" showing up in less than a year.  It's got to suck rocks.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just thinking that new hubby must have been shoving Christianity on those poor kids pretty SEVERELY to get fired and have it in the local paper. He could have, instead, offered to lead a morning prayer group with Christian students or started/headed a Christian Bible study group at that school. But instead the moron had to get his stupid butt fired.  

In the pic/screenshot above, he looks dead in the eyes.  

45 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

I'm concerned by what are coming across to me to be baseless suggestions that this guy's a child abuser just because he's older and unmarried.  

@acheronbeach, point well taken; my concerns are that he has no real clue how to deal with children of tender years — much less six of them, every day, in his [sic] house.  That’s partly because he IS older & unmarried, and partly because his reported record of dealing with adolescents shows a fair amount of cluelessness. 

“Fair amount,” did I say? He got fired!

Kelly reportedly has writing talent. I’ve never read her paean to her grandfather, the WW2 ace, but go with me here. Wouldn’t it be great if he turns out to be good with littles, and he homeschools them while she works from home as an editor.  

As I understand it, also, homeschooling done right can take less than the 6- or 7-hour day we are used to in USA brick/mortar schools, so on non-school days or during half his day, he could bring in money from landlording on Patriarch Brown’s payroll. 

Well. One can dream. As @smittykins observed, education for Kelly is out because of their misogyny, disguised as “following Jesus.”  

My suspicion is that Jesus would have some slapdown words for those so-called followers....but we will never know.

Good luck, kids.

Maybe this guy has been hopelessly in love with Kelly all these years and when her marriage went down in flames he jumped at the chance to finally be with her.

Just kidding. I'm sure it was nothing more than a business transaction between her father and this long time family friend in order for him to get these 7 mouths to feed out of his house.

3 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Just kidding. I'm sure it was nothing more than a business transaction between her father and this long time family friend in order for him to get these 7 mouths to feed out of his house.

And all Kelly got to say was: yes, father, of course father, thank you father!

12 hours ago, nausicaa said:

but he has lived in Wake Forest since at least 2012

Wake Forest, NC? or Wake Forest University? 

I'm actually sitting in Wake Forest at this moment...

(obviously brand new to the Braderick debacle. Like I need a new rabbit hole...)

45 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

I'm concerned by what are coming across to me to be baseless suggestions that this guy's a child abuser just because he's older and unmarried.  

I don't mind speculating about him because there are some red flags and I've watched a Dr. Phil or two where there's a woman with a sketchy live-in boyfriend or creepy 2nd husband and kids are involved.  Dr. Phil always quotes the statistics on child abuse/molestation in this scenario and they are scary.

But back to Mr. NCFIC Scottie Brown wannabe:

• Chose a profession that gives him access to children
  • Immersed himself in a religious culture that idolizes early (and fecund) marriage, but has remained unmarried into his late 30s, so either he didn't want to be married or is unmarriageable 
  • Fired from his first job for inappropriate behavior
  • Owned (or currently owns) a business that has left some deeply unsatisfied/totally screwed customers who shared their unhappiness on the internet
  • First marriage will be to a much younger woman with six young children

Is there anything here that gives us pause? 

I truly hope that this is a gentle, humorous man with a kind heart who will love Kelly and her children dearly.  However, patriarchy is very attractive to controlling personalities and the outright losers get instant status granted to all penis holders.  Patriarchy is also the perfect cover for abusers/molesters and that includes domestic abuse.  

Another concern? The guy is a religious zealot with no kindness or humor in his soul.  If he believes in physical discipline and instant obedience from his stepchildren,  they will start to wonder what type of fresh hell they're in.  

Maybe this isn't a love match.  Instead, Kelly and the instant family will be considered a necessary accoutrement for his pastoral advancement in the NCFIC world and a way for Scottie to offload the embarrassment and financial burden of a divorced daughter (God hates divorce!) and six kids. 

2 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

Also RE cutody, none of us know what evidence was presented to the judge.  Pleadings/filings are often inaccurate.  Sometimes they're outright lies.  I'd never assume that Petey was a gay cheater, and that's why he can't see the kids, because of that indirect implication about both sexes in the filings.  Unless I've missed some piece of info more reliable than Kelly's divorce filings? 

Peter went along with all of the crazy rules in the custody agreement with nary a whisper, which makes me suspect that at least some of the accusations are true and he is still religious enough to feel that he has committed grievous sins by perhaps committing adultery and/or participating in homosexual activities. He could have easily fought a lot of those extreme limitations (very limited custody, needing all visitations to be supervised, all child rearing decisions made solely by Kelly) in court and won, but he didn't. 

And I should also clarify-- I didn't mean to suggest that I think Ziegler must be an abuser. His being 37 and unmarried is not my main cause for alarm. 

My concerns are more that Kelly is rushing into this, they don't really know if they are compatible or not, and five more Ziegler kids quickly being added to the brood just seems to be a bit much for any blended family, especially one where we still haven't determined how much money the husband earns and he presumably has limited exposure to the demands of small children. And Scott doesn't have the greatest track record for finding spouses for his daughters. 

Most of all I just hate how these women are undermined and taught they can't have any identity or accomplishments without a husband. Kelly is not only obviously beautiful, she has also always come off as pretty smart and hard-working (and we know she's scrappy, rolling under fences and what not). 

1 hour ago, Nikedagain? said:

(obviously brand new to the Braderick debacle. Like I need a new rabbit hole...)

Wake Forest, NC. 

4 hours ago, Petronella said:

I did the same. If you click "Palimpsest posted..." then you get to the quote. If you click on the thread title, it goes to page one. It's perfectly reasonable to have assumed it was a single link that you could click anywhere.

But even reading Palimpsest's specific post, I'm not seeing any reasoning, persuasion, or proof. Just a reference to "insider infirmation." Which could well be true! And I've always appreciated Palimpsest's posts, found them generally logical and trustworthy. But I still would hope for something more specific than a vague assertion before treating something as fact.

(There may well be more than an assertion but I've missed it if there is.)

To the bolded, yes.  I completely agree.  You can take or leave the insider information.  We should always use our own judgement about that sort of thing.  I made that clear in later posts but I think they ended up in the next thread.

It is what it is.  Second hand gossip and rumor - but it does seem to explain some of what went down.  

I was much too terse about the link, I'm sorry.  Also in the right hand corner of the link box there should be a little arrow that takes you directly to the relevant post. 

However, the rather whiny tone, complaints, and repeated requests for information made me suspect that @luv2laugh was being "SEVERELY" obtuse.  She's not a new member.  She has been around for a long time and should be used to the way we link.  By the way, luv2laugh: You are very welcome.  No need to thank me at all for trying to help.

56 minutes ago, Nikedagain? said:

Wake Forrest, NC.  It is where Scott Brown has his plantation.  Yes, that is how they have described their property.  

Do I need to harness up the rescue ferrets?  Do you prefer them to carry sweet or savory snacks, and alcoholic beverages, water, or caffeine?  :)

13 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

To the bolded, yes.  I completely agree.  You can take or leave the insider information.  We should always use our own judgement about that sort of thing.  I made that clear in later posts but I think they ended up in the next thread.

It is what it is.  Second hand gossip and rumor - but it does seem to explain some of what went down.  

I was much too terse about the link, I'm sorry.  Also in the right hand corner of the link box there should be a little arrow that takes you directly to the relevant post. 

However, the rather whiny tone, complaints, and repeated requests for information made me suspect that @luv2laugh was being "SEVERELY" obtuse.  She's not a new member.  She has been around for a long time and should be used to the way we link.  By the way, luv2laugh: You are very welcome.  No need to thank me at all for trying to help.

I'm also not a new member, and I was wondering the same things Luv2laugh was asking about (and also had the same experience of frustration with the link). Not every long-time member follows every thread closely; I know all about Lori and Jill, for example, but the Bradrick situation is more vague to me. It gets confusing when some posters refer to things as fact when they are still unconfirmed; asking for clarification is natural.

I'm still confused because in the linked post you implied that your insider information was certain, and here in this post you describe it as only gossip that seems to fit.

Anyway, I hope Kelly is happy and that this marriage was truly her choice!

14 hours ago, gustava said:

I think that many of us on FJ have posited that he is gay.  Regardless, I hope he is finding himself, in the best sense of that journey.

I always suspected that this was the reason he felt so angry and betrayed when the DPIAT scandal broke.  I've always suspected he and the Tool had a 'special friendship', if you get my drift.   

I had some wishful thinking going on with Kelly after the divorce. I looked at her FB pictures and she looked happy and hoped the single mom life might suit her but I guess not. 

IMG_7624.PNG

I don't think Scottie Brown cares one iota if the new hubby can support Kelly and the Bradrick children.  I believe Ol' Scottie only cares that he no longer has to support them.

After all Scottie never cared when life got tight in the Bradrick household after Sippy Cup Bradrick! failed at his "jobs", VF tanked and they were all living in what looked like a double wide.

40 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Do I need to harness up the rescue ferrets?  Do you prefer them to carry sweet or savory snacks, and alcoholic beverages, water, or caffeine?  :)

DEFINITELY THE ALCOHOL! ALL THE ALCOHOL!

Well, was away from FJ for a week and came back to see this thread.

Not at all surprised that Kelly remarried, even with six kids.   She's an attractive woman and I highly doubted that Scottie would want to support a daughter and six grandchildren indefinitely.  Scottie would also make sure that his daughter found a second husband more worthy (in Scottie's mind at least) than that big disappointment Peter Bradrick.   Kelly returned home and in all likelihood was submitting to her dad as headship since Peter bombed out in that department.   Hopefully Kelly got to know her new husband better this time around but I still see Scottie's fingers in this.

Have no vibes about this guy (no idea if he would be abusive or not) other than he strikes me as another Derick Dillard who started out with a decent start in life then blew it.  This guy graduated from a real university, at the top of his class, started out as a teacher then blew it because he obviously did not understand appropriate boundaries while teaching.  This is not about his beliefs, he's entitled to whatever, but the idea he could impose them likely in spite of warnings before he was canned, is more of a red flag to me. He manages to get a principal position in spite of the earlier situation and then quits it for becoming a pastor.  Doesn't seem to be any indicator that he's pastoring now though now having a wife and kids will probably help.  And his current gig doesn't seem to do that well.

So as far as supporting a new wife, plus 6 kids (and now presumably counting) he doesn't seem to have a good track record as far as jobs.   Yep, Scottie knows how to pick 'em.

ETA: @Red Hair, Black Dressagree with you.  Maybe Kelly really loves this guy and he her, but in any case, supporting 7 people was not in Scottie's plan.  He would find a socially acceptable way of getting them all off his hands and bonus!  this dudes going to be a pastor unlike that Peter Whathisname. 

3 minutes ago, Petronella said:

I'm still confused because in the linked post you implied that your insider information was certain, and here in this post you describe it as only gossip that seems to fit.

OK, I think this is an important discussion.  Look back at that original post.   I said "I" trusted my sources and thought they were reliable.  I pointed out upfront in that post that it was 2nd and 3rd hand information.  I used language like "gossip", "apparently", and "it seems."  I habitually use disclaimers all over the place, and I did there.   I'm not sure what else I can do.

FWIW, the 2 sources had heard more rumors.  We discussed some of the gorier details together and agreed that some of them sounded just malicious.  I left those details out.  I only posted the points that both my sources agreed sounded credible and consistent with their personal knowledge of Bradrick.  One of the sources was extremely upset.  

If things like rumor and speculation morph into "statements of fact" on FJ (and they do if we are not careful) it is fine to challenge those statements.  I think we are all agreed about that.  It is also fine to ask questions or for summaries.  People help out if they have time.  It is polite to thank them.   I don't follow all the threads closely either.  Unlike TWoP, we don't make people read back 10 pages of a thread before they post. Thank goodness.

As far as the difficulty with links goes - I'm finding that really funny.  I am pretty cyber-challenged, don't like admitting it, and assume it is my fault if I can't get something to work.  I do also tend to assume that if stupid old me can figure something out then everyone should be able to do it.  Mea Culpa.

14 minutes ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

I always suspected that this was the reason he felt so angry and betrayed when the DPIAT scandal broke.  I've always suspected he and the Tool had a 'special friendship', if you get my drift.   

I think that the DPIAT scandal seriously rocked his world, regardless of whatever their relationship was.  Yes, I think there was the possibility of a "special friendship" especially now knowing more about them personally, via Peter's divorce and scandal/lawsuit for DPIAT

DPIAT was his mentor and Peter seriously took the idea of confronting him and bringing him to repentance when the scandal broke.  I don't think he expected the reaction he got.  Between his mentor's fall, the reaction and VF coming apart, everything that mattered in Peter's world was gone in a flash, including his cushy job.  To be honest, I was not surprised of Peter and Kelly's divorce at all.  

20 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

Glad she's out from under her dad's roof now. Though frankly, if the Browns had been forced to support their daughter and her 500 kids for the rest of their lives it would completely serve them right, because they fucking did this to her and they should be the ones to take responsibility.

Yep, that would have served them completely right and I feel the exact same way about the Morton's now supporting Katie and her 8 kids.

17 hours ago, AnnaSofia said:

I'm having visions of an Emily Meyers/Freckled Fox situation.

For those unfamiliar, Emily is a Mormon blogger known for having "5 in 5", then being widowed at age 24 or so after her husband died of cancer. She remarried VERY quickly to an old flame with an OBVIOUS chip on his shoulder about Emily's deceased husband, and Emily was pregnant by their first anniversary, IIRC. I just hope Kelly's new hubby doesn't "accidentally" shoot her like Emily's did.

Note: Sorry for the slight derail there.

I have the same feeling and it sends chills down my spine. I really hope the best for the Bradrick kids, but I guess life just got even more desperate for them. The new guy will probably keep Kelly pregnant straight to menopause to show that he is way better and manlier than her ex-husband. 

5 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

In the words of the immortal Han Solo...I have a baaaad feeling about this.

That dude is giving me some seriously squicky vibes.  Late 30's and not married in fundie-land is NOT good.

Praying for those kids (seriously). 

I've wondered, but I can see two sides to it. This guy could be seriously bad news, but him being 37 and unmarried doesn't strike me as THAT odd, even in fundie circles.

Having grown up and spent plenty of time with folks you all would consider fundie and fundie-lite, I can tell you that while unmarried women over 30 are treated as being a little out of place, it's really not that unheard of to find an unmarried guy in his 30s. Most folks I knew were at least engaged in their 20s, but since a premium is placed on a man being able to support his wife and family, some of the men who were not in that position did marry later (often to much younger women but not always). Justi within my own church, I knew of guys who had (1) stayed home to take over the family business and get it out of near-bankruptcy after his dad died suddenly, (2) started several businesses before finding one that worked, and (3) started school, discovered it wasn't for him and bounced around before discovering that he loved working in real estate. All 3 of these folks married in their mid/late 30s. Many on FJ would disagree with their beliefs but none of these guys were abusers.

Without knowing more about this new husband, I'm not sure I'd be quick to jump on the bandwagon of thinking he must be a new quiverfull nightmare. It does seem like an awfully quick remarriage, but hopefully it will turn out to be a good thing for Kelly and the kids. After what they've all been through, I think there's a part of me that wants to be optimistic and hope that everyone learned from the VF implosion. I'll freely admit that I'm a little biased because the VF-ers I know personally have all grown and thought things out quite a bit since VF collapsed.

10 minutes ago, GenerationCedarchip said:

I've wondered, but I can see two sides to it. This guy could be seriously bad news, but him being 37 and unmarried doesn't strike me as THAT odd, even in fundie circles.

The guy being unmarried and 37 didn't strike me as a red flag.  As you say, there can be all kinds of reasons why a guy would wait to get married and maybe he's like that.  Maybe the dude will be ok as a husband and stepfather in spite of the job record and will do right by Kelly and the kids. 

However, I think it's safe to say that we are a bit cynical when it comes down to the likes of Scottie and how he has failed his daughter in so many ways.  And may have done so again.

1 hour ago, nokidsmom said:

This guy graduated from a real university, at the top of his class, started out as a teacher then blew it because he obviously did not understand appropriate boundaries while teaching.  This is not about his beliefs, he's entitled to whatever, but the idea he could impose them likely in spite of warnings before he was canned, is more of a red flag to me.

Re: bolded - ITA here. This is what I find disturbing. 

@GenerationCedarchip - your points on possible reasons for delayed marriage for fundie males are well-taken, but this guy had an education & good jobs, one of which he tossed away because of a self-righteous, narcissistic insistence on his way or the highway. Jesus had nothing to do with it -- Robert Ziegler wanted those kids to do what he said. That's what's disturbing.

4 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

Also RE cutody, none of us know what evidence was presented to the judge.  Pleadings/filings are often inaccurate.  Sometimes they're outright lies.  I'd never assume that Petey was a gay cheater, and that's why he can't see the kids, because of that indirect implication about both sexes in the filings.  Unless I've missed some piece of info more reliable than Kelly's divorce filings? 

In the normal world, being an umarried, never-married, male at the age of 37 wouldn’t be cause to suspect anything was amiss.  But in fundiedom, and especially in their world that is so focused on fecundity, most relatively decent looking men are hot commodities and they have their pick of the many women looking for a headship. There’s a reason we never hear of older, never married men waiting for their helpmeet- it’s because it doesn’t happen. In a world where men make all of the decisions and men always pursue the woman, you don’t wind up with the equivalent of a male spinster, a Minster, or Menster, hahaha. 

So when a 37 year old never married man, who appears to be zealous and holding to fundie rigid rules, marries a newly single woman with six young children, it does raise eyebrows.  And not just in terms of a predilection towards children, but other serious personal flaws.  I find it difficult to imagine that he has never been in any kind of relationship or courtship- by his age, I would imagine he’s had a few- they didn’t work out for some reason.  When you’re raised to be nothing more than a helpmeet, waiting for your man to rescue you from your father’s house, and you are in your late 20’s early 30’s, I’d imagine one would be willing to overlook almost anything just to finally get married.  So how has this guy, who is educated and not poor, not gotten married yet?  Especially when that equals no sex.  I mean, that’s why these people get married so early to begin with- they are horny. Period. 

What would make the most sense to me is if this guy was into adult males, believes this to be a sin, and thus commits to a life of celibacy. But then his friend/mentor Scott Brown comes to him and they enter into a business transaction- he gets to have a ready made family, doesn’t have to live his life all alone, and in exchange, he takes over as headship of his daughter Kelly and her six kids. 

At the beach, a red flag is meant to be a warning- based on what we can see on the surface, it would be dangerous to go swimming. Now, there will still be those that pay no attention, go out there anyway, and they are fine- the conditions are great and there was no reason for all the fuss.  But for a novice swimmer, child, or older person, the red flag protects them from a potentially dangerous situation. At the very least, it will make them more cautious if they do choose to go ahead.  And this is why I am very ok with people saying this is a red flag situation- because it only serves as tool to make people aware of potentially dangerous conditions.  

Getting back a bit to the being fired from the teaching job because Jebus, I would like to point out that this guy most likely was warned over his behavior before being canned and probably more than once.  

Had a family member who lost his teaching job in a similar way.  Not over religion but pushing ideas that were not deemed acceptable to that particular community (vague, I know but can't say more).    He was warned at least twice that I know of, continued in spite of the warnings because he knew better and was canned.    The situation with Kelly's new hubby seems very, very similar.  

When I met and married my husband (in a VERY short timeframe), I was barely of legal drinking age and had a toddler. He was in his thirties and had never been married. He is easy on the eyes and the most ridiculously sweet husband you can imagine. It still boggles my mind he didn’t get scooped up before I came along, but I’m sure happy he didn’t because even though he’s not perfect, he actually kinda is. I’m not privy to any insider info, so I am just going to pray that Kelly and the children are happy and that she has found a husband similar to mine. Someone who will adore her, love her kids like his own, and help heal the wounds she almost certainly bears in her heart. 

• Jellybean locked this topic
  • Jellybean unlocked and locked this topic

Archived