IGNORED

Gun Violence Part 2: Thoughts and Prayers STILL Don't Work

Destiny

More evidence of the close ties between Russians and the NRA. So if the NRA is dictating politicians on policy... so are the Russians. 

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 1

Fornicating NRA snowflakes...

A popular Dallas restaurant received threats of shootings after the National Rifle Associationtweeted for its supporters to "steer clear" of the eatery because it put a message advocating gun regulation on its receipts during an NRA convention.

"We’ve had people calling and say they’re going to shoot the place up, one that implied he would be burning us down today. Ridiculous people," Joe Groves, owner of Ellen's restaurant, told BuzzFeed News.

In light of the Parkland school shootingand the 2016 Dallas police shootings, which happened just a few blocks away, Groves said he wanted to use the opportunity of the nearby NRA convention to encourage a conversation about sensible gun regulation. So, he placed a message on the bottom of his restaurant receipts on Friday that read:

A portion of this week’s proceeds will be donated to organizations dedicated to implementing reasonable and effective gun regulation

• Upvote 9

3 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Later this year, I may have to go to Dallas on a business trip. I know where I will plan to eat at least one meal.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 4

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3

Multiple fatalities’ in incident at Montgomery Co. home

But yea, arm teachers. That will solve everything.

WASHINGTON — Montgomery County police were responding to reports of multiple fatalities in a home Monday, and the suspect is still at large.

Officers rushed to the 22000 block of Brown Farm Way in Brookeville, Maryland, after receiving what was initially described on Twitter as a domestic disturbance call at about 3:44 p.m.

Montgomery County police Capt. Paul Starks told NBC Washington that the suspect is known. “We don’t believe it’s random,” he said.

The area of the incident, located near Rachel Carson Conservation Park, is a rural cul de sac with larger homes. (See map below.) People living in the area are being asked to shelter in place, and some residents returning from work aren’t being allowed back into their homes.

No additional details are available.

• Sad 2
  • WTF 3

American patriot traitor Oliver North is the new president of the NRA.  

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 4
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Howl said:

Yes, but will he be able to recall it tomorrow?

• Upvote 5

36 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

Yes, but will he be able to recall it tomorrow?

Remember what?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5

Fifth graders on field trip get an impromptu gun show!

Spoiler

A group of fifth grade students from St. George, South Carolina, were offered a tour this week of the middle school they will be attending next year. The tour took an unexpected detour when teachers invited the owner of a gun armory to show off some rifles.

Belinda Guice, who joined her son on the trip, was outraged when the group of 11-year-olds were exposed to guns at such a young age. "When we got done with that show my son said, 'Mom, I need a .22 caliber,'" Guice told CBS affiliate WCSC-TV.

The school trip took a turn when a teacher had the kids walk to the back of the building. A gun armory and old gutted military tank sit next to the school campus, and the students were brought over to look at the tank.

"That part was fine," Guice said. "But once you take my son along with a lot of kids onto the other side of the building and start a gun show, that's where my concern came in."

She says teachers invited the owner of the armory to show off some guns to the students, without asking parents' permission. Guice, who is also a substitute teacher in the school district, was shocked.

After the tour of the middle school, and instead of going back to the elementary school, Belinda Guice said her son and fellow students were taken to an armory where they were shown guns.  

BELINDA GUICE

"You took away my right, you took away all of these other kids' parents' rights to allow for me to tell you if I want my son to be introduced to this type of stuff," the upset mother said.

Guice says after telling the story on the news, she received a call saying she is no longer on the substitute teacher list, with no reason as to why.

In a statement provided to WCSC-TV, Dorchester School District Four said the trip and subsequent gun show were "reviewed and handled in accordance with District policies."

• WTF 7

Meanwhile in Australia we've had another horrific family violence shooting. It's not just access to firearms that needs to be addressed but the culture that allows it, and God knows we have issues with that. Interestingly the definition of mass shooting here now appears to be "five killed" - we're not excluding family violence (but are still excluding wounded, who I still think should be included - often it is just luck that they weren't killed, and traumatic injuries are life changing.)

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-13/margaret-river-murder-suicide-mystery-of-miles-family/9755116

• Upvote 5

On 5/7/2018 at 7:25 PM, Howl said:

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/05/13/parkland-dad-has-pointed-message-for-oliver-north-nras-new-president/23433617/

The new president of the National Rifle Association, Oliver North, compared advocates of gun control to civil terrorists in an interview last week. The father of a 14-year-old girl killed in the Parkland, Florida, school shooting in February has offered a powerful rebuttal.

“We’re not criminal civil terrorists,” Fred Guttenberg told Newsweek in response to North’s remarks. “We’re people with a broken heart.”

“The NRA and people like Oliver North, to them, it’s a job,” Guttenberg said as he discussed the gun control debate spurred by the shooting. “They could retire and go on with their life. I can’t, because my daughter isn’t here.”

Guttenberg’s daughter, Jaime, was among the 17 people killed in the February massacre.

North, named the NRA’s new president last Monday, told the conservative newspaper The Washington Times that the gun group had become the victim of “civil terrorism.” 

Advocates for stricter gun control had launched a “cyberwar” against the NRA, he said, and threatened the group’s members. He gave the example of a protester charged with a misdemeanor after she sprayed fake blood on the home of an NRA lobbyist.

“They call them activists. That’s what they’re calling themselves. They’re not activists — this is civil terrorism. This is the kind of thing that’s never been seen against a civil rights organization in America,” North told the Times. “You go back to the terrible days of Jim Crow and those kinds of things — even there you didn’t have this kind of thing. We didn’t have the cyberwar kind of thing that we’ve got today.”

North ― a retired lieutenant colonel known for his role in the Iran-Contra scandalof the 1980s ― added that he did not believe that the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland in which 17 people died had “fundamentally changed” the national gun debate. And he said the young survivors of the shooting, some of whom have emerged as leaders of the recent national movement against gun violence, had been “swept up by a broader propaganda machine.”

“What they did very successfully with a frontal assault, and now intimidation and harassment and lawbreaking, is they confused the American people,” he said of the activists.

North has been widely criticized for his comments. Stoneman Douglas students Lauren Hoggs and Cameron Kasky used Twitter posts to lambast North and the NRA. 

Guttenberg also posted on the social media platform to challenge the NRA president.

“My daughter was murdered by an AR 15 … so I do not care what you think of me,” Guttenberg said in a series of messages.

North will be making an appearance on Hannity in three... two... one....

• WTF 2
  • I Agree 2

I hope more and more politicians do this.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 7

In today's episode of "What White Privilege Looks Like"

• Upvote 7
  • WTF 4

One of our local universities just came in and ordered a bunch of signs and window decals stating that weapons are not allowed on campus. They included the statute numbers that allow them to ban them at the bottom of the signs.

It's sad that something like that is needed. And it's especially sad that while the NRA and their people are yelling "Second Amendment!" and implying that they need to be armed to fend off a hostile government, in reality they are in strong support of (much of) the current government and the guns are more often being used against people of color who are just going on about their lives. 

And when someone like them - generally a white male - goes on a shooting spree? "Oh, we need better mental health care... Thoughts and Prayers..." Yes, better mental health care would help. Unfortunately the politicians the NRA and their ilk support are generally against any sort of healthcare improvements. They say they are for them, and they have a plan to improve it all, but their real results say that their plan is "Make more money to afford it yourself, and if you can't, don't dare get sick!" 

It makes me ill. White guy shoots up people, he needs mental health care. Black guy shoots somebody, he's a thug. Muslim person shoots somebody, they are a terrorist. White girl takes a semiautomatic rifle to school, no problem! Black girl takes a nap in the common room at her dorm, police get called. Black person merely holding a toy gun, shot by cops within seconds. 

Ugh I realize this is just a rant, but it's sickening. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, onekidanddone said:

I also see the irony of her carrying her weapon at Kent State, where National Guard Troops opened fire on students in 1970, killing 4. Here is the Wikipedia link, for more information.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings

When I was college hunting in the late 80's, my parents wouldn't let me consider Kent State, although some of my friends from my class went there. I had my heart set on the university I wanted to attend (and did) anyway, so the restriction didn't matter.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

Song from my childhood.  

• Upvote 6

Once again it's too early to politicize gun violence today 

• Sad 7

Per CNN explosive device found inside the school and could be more in the town.

• WTF 4

You can't make this stuff up...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-shows-sight-santa-fe-150800287.html

A Texas man stirred up controversy when he arrived at the scene of the Santa Fe High School shooting with an American flag and a pistol on his hip.

Footage shared on Twitter by Scott McGrew shows two news reporters from local stations KHOU and KPRC interviewing an unidentified man at a gas station near the scene of Friday's mass shooting, which reportedly left multiple victims dead.

"What was going through your head when you found out that this was going on?" one reporter asked the man. 

"Get to the school, make America great again," he responded.

"By doing what? What was your plan of action?" she continued. 

"Offering support," he said. "Just, 'God bless y'all' will go a long way right now for a lot of people."

"God bless y'all," he added before walking away from the cameras. 

Yup, the stupid's deep in Texas, although not among Free Jingers.

Why am I picturing Boomhauer from King of the Hill?

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 5
  • I Agree 1

I'm thinking of writing in to the local paper with precise and graphic anatomical details of where the NRA and all their gun reich groupies can shove their thoughts and prayers in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. 

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

Mike Pence sends his thoughts and prayers

@AmazonGrace I soooo wish Mikey was on FJ so I could use the fuck you reaction.

I hope he knows where he can shove his prayers. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6

On 5/17/2018 at 10:36 AM, onekidanddone said:

Why in God's name did she need to bring a gun, much less a semiautomatic gun, to a college campus???  Oh wait, Googling her brought me to this: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/05/16/kent-state-rifle-graduation-photos/616449002/

Bennett, who earned a degree in biology, is a gun rights activist and, according to her Twitter bio, a founder of the Kent State chapter of the libertarian group "Liberty Hangout." In addition to opposing gun control measures and advocating for a right to carry on campus, a recent post on the group's philosophy argues that "taxation is theft" and, "voting is violence and democracy is the oppression of those who dwell within the minority opinion." 

I'm betting the bolded wasn't mentioned on Fox News.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 7

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic