IGNORED

Austin bomber was a conservative Christian homeschooler

Howl

I hope they figure out where he has been hiding or making these things. It could be booby trapped. What a horrible shame. So sorry for those injured or killed.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Now let's see what the Republicans from Fuck Face on down have to say about the bomber.  Especially since he wasn't a minority, a non-Christian, or a non white and was instead a straight white conservative male.

Let's see here. I predict the phrases "lone wolf", "disturbed individual", and "mental illness" will be used. They will not use the words "terrorist" or the phrase "indicative of a deeper societal problem". 

11 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Now let's see what the Republicans from Fuck Face on down have to say about the bomber.  Especially since he wasn't a minority, a non-Christian, or a non white and was instead a straight white conservative male.

They will say: See? We don’t need more gun control because crazy people will find a way to kill with or without guns because that fits their agenda and is an approved statement from their donor; the NRA. They will not acknowledge that he is another angry white young man who we are obviously not addressing with appropriate mental health care. They will not acknowledge homeschooling or their religious bend at all.

I just saw this news on my Bing newsfeed.  Trying not to rush to judgment about religious conservatives and the fruits of their homeschooling.  But here we have another white 20-something, so messed up and I guess angry with the world, that he came to the conclusion that he should make bombs and kill people.  Not sure how this would be following Jesus' teachings?  But fundies  have so mangled their Jesus, that apparently some of them believe Jesus believes in killing random people by bombing them, in his name.

When are we going to recognize that white, Christian extremists are JUST as dangerous as brown, Muslim extremists?

Sorry, but this NEEDS to be laid at the feet of the Conservative Christian movement.  They NEED to answer for it.  Because they INSIST that other religions answer for their extremists.  So now it's their turn.

DO NOT LET THEM WEASEL OUT OF THIS.  MAKE THEM ANSWER.

According to the  Daily Fail:

He doesn't appear to have left much of a trail on social media but his blog posts from 2012 indicate he was in favor of the death penalty and was against gay marriage and abortion.

11 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

he was in favor of the death penalty and was against gay marriage and abortion.

One might speculate that his original targets were the handful of abortion clinics left in Austin, but they turned out to be too heavily guarded so he had to settle for random objects of hatred. Did they ever say who the addressees were on the FedEx packages?

Also, apparently targeting black people. These are acts of terrorism. Waiting for that acknowledgment...

29 minutes ago, JustAnotherMaiden said:

Waiting for that acknowledgment...

You're going to be waiting a long time.

ETA:  From a CNN update, quoting his grandmother:

“He’s from a family that is so tight, that works so hard to raise their children correctly. It’s just horrible,” she said. 

Yes, I just read these works from a New Yorker article that set my FJ spidey senses all a-tingle.  What We Know About Austin Bomber Mark Conditt

Conditt was homeschooled as a child

He went to community college from 2010 to 2012 but didn't graduate, but did take a government course. 

The Austin-American Statesman reports that Conditt wrote about his opposition to gay marriage and abortion, and his support for the death penalty. He also advocated for the abolishment of sex offender registries.

“Just look at the male and female bodies,” he wrote in one post. “They are obviously designed to couple. The natural design is apparent. It is not natural to couple male with male and female with female. It would be like trying to fit two screws together and to nuts together and then say, ‘See, it’s natural for them to go together.’”

Conditt had a job at a local manufacturing company in Pflugerville last summer but was fired. 

The Austin American Statesman  talked to one of his friends: THE SUSPECT: Mark A. Conditt ‘rough around the edges,’ friend says

The two were close in 2012 and 2013, said Jensen, who would often go to the Conditts’ home for lunch after Sunday church service and attending Bible study and other activities together. Jensen said Conditt came from a good family, was athletic, enjoyed rock climbing and parkour and was a “deep thinker.”

As a fellow homeschool student, Jensen described the inner experience of a lot of his friends as one of “loneliness.”

“It’s just very difficult for a lot of kids to find a way to fit in once they are out in the real world,” he said. “I have a feeling that is what happened with Mark. I don’t remember him ever being sure of what he wanted to do.”

He went to Austin Stone Community Church, a conservative nondenominational mega church with numerous campuses/meeting centers around Austin.  I truly hope authorities find a manifesto/diary/writings somewhere, so his path to carnage can be charted.  

Did anyone else read that the mail bomber in Austin who targeted prominent Black families was a homeschool graduate? He was also apparently the eldest. I'm sickened that this isn't getting more media coverage. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/03/21/who-mark-anthony-conditt-austin-serial-bomber/444738002/

https://everipedia.org/wiki/mark-anthony-conditt/

(Mods, if this isn't the right area, please feel free to move.)

Making a bomb isnt like baking a box cake.  It takes some finesse to do it right without 1) hurting yourself and 2) having it go off early or not explode at all.  From the information publicly available only one detonated early (the one at fedex) and none failed to detonate.  That implies that he either didnt build them, or had a lot more practice than just googling "how to make a bomb."  It also seems like there were different types of bombs in play and not all were trip wire.

So, how does a kid with no obvious online footprint and a "loner" wind up successfully making things that not only explode as they should but cause the harm they intended?  My guess is that he didnt build them, but thats pure speculation bus shit.

2 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

ETA:  From a CNN update, quoting his grandmother:

Yeah fuck face sure as hell ain't gonna say anything about the Austin Terrorist being a terrorist.  As Dean Obeidallah points out... 

Tbh, the word "terrorist" has been an utterly meaningless political signal for at least the past 15 years. Instead of arguing about who is and who isn't in the wake of every national tragedy, I'd rather we just retired it for everyone.

2 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Especially from certain figures who would leap to label the same sort of heinous crime as such, under other circumstances.

I hope the victims and their loved ones will be respected and treated well by all as they deal with this tragedy. I also hope all FJers in the area are safe and sound.

2 hours ago, Howl said:

Mods, There's a parallel thread here on Wide World of Snark; please combine. 

Merged them.

Making a bomb isnt like baking a box cake.  It takes some finesse to do it right without 1) hurting yourself and 2) having it go off early or not explode at all.  From the information publicly available only one detonated early (the one at fedex) and none failed to detonate.  That implies that he either didnt build them, or had a lot more practice than just googling "how to make a bomb."  It also seems like there were different types of bombs in play and not all were trip wire.
So, how does a kid with no obvious online footprint and a "loner" wind up successfully making things that not only explode as they should but cause the harm they intended?  My guess is that he didnt build them, but thats pure speculation bus shit.
There are books on making this kind of stuff available at"patriot" websites and gunshows. I am not mentioning an titles for obvious reasons.

@Buzzard Maybe he was involved with an alt-right group who helped him, or maybe he just had a lot of practice. Either way, he had some hobbies that his family must have known about. Unless they weren't as tight as they thought they were.

The oldest of four children, Conditt was homeschooled by his mother. BuzzFeed spoke to a 21-year-old woman named Cassia Schultz who said she “ran in the same conservative survivalist circles in high school as Conditt.” She mentioned that she and Conditt were a part of a social group for homeschooled kids called Righteous Invasion of Truth (RIOT).

“A lot of us were very into science; we would discuss chemicals and how to mix them and which ones were dangerous,” Schultz told BuzzFeed. “We were into weapons and stuff. A lot of us did role-playing, and RPG [role-playing games]; we’d have foam weapons and act out a battle.”

Uhh yeah, RIOT sounds like the kinda club where bomb-making might be encouraged as a fun science experiment. 

I know there are differing opinions of "fundie" on here, but I will point out that church is not KJV only and has women as deacons. While I don't think many of who I would call fundies would disagree with their statement of faith (it is a little Calvinistic for an IFBx), they would consider the church liberal for using a "per-version" and allowing women in leadership.

The Austin interim Chief of Police just gave a presser.  The bomber left a recording that does not mention hate or terrorism, but the Chief described "a very challenged young man".   The bomber described 7 explosive devices.  Six of those were detonated/recovered and the 7th was the one he detonated in his car causing his death.  This gives everyone confidence that all devices are accounted for. 

He had two housemates, and those two guys were questioned today and one has been released. 

8 minutes ago, Howl said:

The Austin interim Chief of Police just gave a presser.  The bomber left a recording that does not mention hate or terrorism, but the Chief described "a very challenged young man".   The bomber described 7 explosive devices.  Six of those were detonated/recovered and the 7th was the one he detonated in his car causing his death.  This gives everyone confidence that all devices are accounted for. 

He had two housemates, and those two guys were questioned today and one has been released. 

How much ya wanna bet that this interim chief would have said he was a terrorist if this young man had been of a different race or religion...

43 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

How much ya wanna bet that this interim chief would have said he was a terrorist if this young man had been of a different race or religion...

Doubtful. While a terrible crime, his actions do not appear to fall into the category of terrorism. More like serial killer.

Archived