IGNORED

JWs and disfellowshipping

feministxtian

A few months ago, in front of the grocery store a finely dressed older man was handing out Watchtower pamphlets.   As he handed me one he said " Be sure to read that before throwing it away".  1 point for honesty.  I notice they don't smile much.  Seem an unhappy people.

I'm sorry @muggleborn.  I truly hope you can be free from the pain.  I wish I had words to make it better.  Just keep being you and love yourself.  It's all any of us can do with painful pasts.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They say witnessing isn't soliciting.  I have a sign on my door next to the "no soliciting" sign that says "Do not leave anything on this door". So they leave their booklets on my doormat!

On 2018.03.28. at 8:37 PM, Hane said:

A friend who once attended JW services with her JW husband told me that the no-transfusion reasoning was that “nobody knows what part of your body your soul is in, and since blood is part of your body, a transfusion could mean putting part of a soul into someone else’s body.” WTF?

So, that's how you make a horcrux... 

14 hours ago, griffin said:

They say witnessing isn't soliciting.  I have a sign on my door next to the "no soliciting" sign that says "Do not leave anything on this door". So they leave their booklets on my doormat!

I had one tell me that preaching the gospel isn't soliciting so my Do Not Disturb sign is not for them. I should unleash my atheist husband. Boy would they make tracks. 

There used to be a sign you could print off the Internet saying "You may have 'the truth,' but I have the Rottie--and he HATES the doorbell."

The JWs who troll our neighborhood every weekend have started bringing what must be a grandchild. We live up on a hill, so I get to be the bad guy when I tell that poor little fellow that I don't want an "invitation" to anything after he and his old grandparents have walked so far up. I literally hate them for putting me in that situation. 

On 3/26/2018 at 8:54 PM, SilverBeach said:

Look up Franz (forgot his first name) a former member of the governing body and a member for many decades. He wrote a tell all after leaving. You'll find the real truth in his book. Horrible organization.

The book is called "Crisis of Conscience" It's on Scribd, if anyone wants to read it. There's also a computer voice version of it on Youtube.

On 3/28/2018 at 6:47 AM, Carol said:

When I was growing up we'd occasionally get visits from JW's.  We had this big circular driveway and we'd see them crawl down the drive at a snail's pace and tentatively approach our house like they were scared to death about what they were doing.

They track the time that they do "service" (going door to door) so some of them do it really slowly, or they do other things like taking a break to eat and counting that as time, or going to a really far away neighbourhood since they can count the travel time as service hours.

10 hours ago, nomoxian said:

The book is called "Crisis of Conscience" It's on Scribd, if anyone wants to read it. There's also a computer voice version of it on Youtube.

I knew my one step-daughter was on her way out of the JWs when she snuck it out of my house and returned it about a month later. She was just sorta "hey, can I borrow a couple of books?" I mean, I don't have anything that I wouldn't want another adult to read but I looked later and my copy was gone...I put 2 and 2 together right quick. 

11 hours ago, nomoxian said:

They track the time that they do "service" (going door to door) so some of them do it really slowly, or they do other things like taking a break to eat and counting that as time, or going to a really far away neighbourhood since they can count the travel time as service hours.

Ah that possibly explains the mother-daughter pair who come around in my parent's neighbourhood. It's a very small town, my mum used to teach the daughter and they quite often spend an hour chatting about what former classmates are doing rather than attempting to convert her. They do leave the brochures but I think they're pretty aware by now (the daughter must be 40 by now and they've been coming around for over a decade) that she's taking them out of politeness - but it is a bit of a break for them too. 

On 3/26/2018 at 1:54 PM, SilverBeach said:

I think current JW teaching is that people can follow their own conscience about the "blood issue". The truth has changed many times on many things with them.

No, it is only very specific components of blood products that they leave up to the individual, actual blood transfusions are still a no-go:

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/blood/jehovahs-witnesses-the-surgical-ethical-challenge/

• 3 weeks later...

Daughter, sister, aunt of JW's. If I had to choose three words to describe them it would be persistent, hypocritical  and judgemental... and thats just the people I love LOL. I thank my lucky stars that my mother (fun fact, she is a disenchanted catholic and im an atheist, fun times) didnt in her own words, let my father "brainwash" me and kept me away. I do a lot of eye rolling but its water off a ducks back these days. Persisent though and always judgemental lol. God or a belief in, is not what is wrong with the world, religion is.

On 4/7/2018 at 10:05 PM, katilac said:

No, it is only very specific components of blood products that they leave up to the individual, actual blood transfusions are still a no-go:

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/blood/jehovahs-witnesses-the-surgical-ethical-challenge/

The article you linked to is from 1981 and may not represent current Witness doctrine, although it is on the official JW site. I was studying with them back in 1981 and all I recall is a blanket prohibition. Mr. SB and his family are former JWs and he has one daughter that is still active, but I don't keep up with JW doctrine like I used to, don't pretend to be an expert. I do enjoy the exjw reddit from time to time though.

On 28/03/2018 at 8:12 PM, SilverBeach said:

Fornication didn't mean what she thought it did anyway.

I can't believe nobody else asked... so what did she think fornication was?!?

On 4/23/2018 at 8:30 AM, SilverBeach said:

The article you linked to is from 1981 and may not represent current Witness doctrine, although it is on the official JW site.  

Removing the prohibition would be spectacularly big news, like actual news, so I'd be pretty surprised if it happened and we missed it, and even more surprised if they didn't change the official site.  

There are plenty of more recent non-JW site sources that reference the ban, I linked some from 2013, 2017, and 2018: 

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2013/06/jehovah_s_witness_blood_transfusions_how_a_doctor_works_around_doctrine.html

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42002996

https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/article/wjpke5/how-doctors-keep-jehovahs-witnesses-alive-when-they-refuse-blood-transfusions

We were getting so many visits from the JWs that I considered buying this sign:

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/399768091/door-knocker-sign?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=door knocker sign&ref=sr_gallery-1-16

Instead I looked them up on google, called them, and asked to be taken off their list. They promised not to come back and they’ve kept their word. 

1 hour ago, adidas said:

Instead I looked them up on google, called them, and asked to be taken off their list.

I never knew that was an option. :pb_eek: We don't get regular visits from JWs, Mormon missionaries, or any other groups, but it's good to know that there's a possible solution besides hiding if that ever changes. (We get satellite television salespeople most regularly. They're not too hard to get rid of most days.) 

My brother and his wife are JWs.Both converted.She started studying as a teen,and for years,went to the Kingdom Hall alone.My brother about 15 years ago.They met at the Kingdom Hall.All of the witnesses I have met seem very happy.I studied at one time,about 30 years ago.The woman who was coming to study with me,got to be controlling.She started telling me how to discipline my children,what I should and should not watch on TV..etc.Plus,she started nagging me about going out to convert people...No,just,no.This life long introvert isn't doing such a thing.So,eventually she stopped coming around.

My brother and his wife will talk about their religion.Leave pamphlets and even get someone to come and invite us to the Memorial of Christ's Death every year.

Someone from the Mormon church does the same.

My neighborhood has no solicitation signs,and I am glad of it.

The satellite companies,and security system people seem to ignore this sign the most.

On 4/24/2018 at 11:04 PM, katilac said:

Removing the prohibition would be spectacularly big news, like actual news, so I'd be pretty surprised if it happened and we missed it, and even more surprised if they didn't change the official site.  

There are plenty of more recent non-JW site sources that reference the ban, I linked some from 2013, 2017, and 2018: 

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2013/06/jehovah_s_witness_blood_transfusions_how_a_doctor_works_around_doctrine.html

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42002996

https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/article/wjpke5/how-doctors-keep-jehovahs-witnesses-alive-when-they-refuse-blood-transfusions

You are definitely more up to date on this than me, not arguing with you about it. Yes, the prohibition on "eating" blood has been a central tenet of JW doctrine, and is something that gave me pause when I was studying with them. Too much old testament legalism, too much focus on the end of the world, too much control including telling married people what is permissible in the bedroom, not enough focus on God's love or helping others. And I gotta say it...boring, boring services. These things, and the fact that the guy I was dating being terribly hurt by his mother shunning him were big turn offs.  She was a true believer, his sister was baptized but wasn't so strict so she spoke to him. It was awful to observe.

They may all seem happy but they are not. It's that cult veneer. Witnesses are plagued with the same problems as everybody else. Mr. SB was an elder before his divorce, and saw first hand the troubles in the congregation. Everybody was really clean though.

On 3/28/2018 at 5:26 PM, Shiny said:

I'm guessing he wasn't actually a Witness or at least, was very new. JWs don't believe in souls. 

You are correct.JWs do not believe in an immortal soul or an eternal hell.

I get called on a few times a year by JW’s. But not to be converted...to encourage me to come back. That’s a big nope.

inwas born and raised 4th generation JW. My family was like...JW royalty in my area. I walked away about 8 years ago. I’ve not stepped foot in a KH since then.

No regrets! I live with my BF. I’m cool. Don’t need that bullshit they peddle! 

Do JW's "sic" their missionaries on their acquaintances? I rarely have problems in my neighborhood, but whenever I see a close friend's JW wife (he is not), it seems like my home is frequently the target of a visit. I know she doesn't like me (and the feeling is very mutual!), so am wondering if she's sending missionaries to make me see the error of my ways. (Her husband is my Sweetie's childhood best friend, whose friendship has lasted 45 years. Through my Sweetie, he and his brothers have become close friends.) I know she doesn't approve of me being friends with the guys, and thinks I need to solely hang out with women.

2 hours ago, ORNurse said:

I get called on a few times a year by JW’s. But not to be converted...to encourage me to come back. That’s a big nope.

They don't shun you since you left?

5 hours ago, Dandruff said:

They don't shun you since you left?

Oh...no! When you’re trying to get the sheep to come back to the flock, you treat it well! But granted if I would start going back to the KH and didn’t change my sinful ways (vaping, cussing, all that awesome premarital sex I have with my live in boyfriend) they would totally DF me. Right now I’m just “inactive”, not DF’d.

My aunt has limited contact with me, my mom doesn’t go to the KH herself anymore, my dad, grandma, and grandpa all died within 3 years of each other, so really I don’t have much family left in the organization. 

11 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

Do JW's "sic" their missionaries on their acquaintances? I rarely have problems in my neighborhood, but whenever I see a close friend's JW wife (he is not), it seems like my home is frequently the target of a visit. I know she doesn't like me (and the feeling is very mutual!), so am wondering if she's sending missionaries to make me see the error of my ways. (Her husband is my Sweetie's childhood best friend, whose friendship has lasted 45 years. Through my Sweetie, he and his brothers have become close friends.) I know she doesn't approve of me being friends with the guys, and thinks I need to solely hang out with women.

I’m not sure that they “sic” people on acquaintances...they will on people like me who don’t go. They probably “found me” through my aunt. When I was married, we hung out with couples all the time and did stuff  all the time!

Most JW’s are good people, brainwashed, but good people...there are some though...

Archived