IGNORED

Joy and Austin (and Gideon) 22: When Nothing Much Happens

Jellybean

Just now, NanisBlessing said:

I have three sons ( 27, 26 25 ) ..... each one calls me at least twice a day, we have our own WhatsApp group  :)   sometimes their girlfriends do the big eyeroll, because of how close we are ...I just love us :) 

Oh God, tell me about it...both boys have been accused of "not cutting the umbilical cord"...those girls don't stay in their lives very long. #1 son doesn't say much about being a mama's boy, #2 son proudly announces it to anyone and everyone. If I could have had a guarantee of nothing but boys, I'd have kept having kids. I'm almost envious of that woman who just had her 14th son. I can imagine the fun and insanity ensuing from 14 loud, energetic, half crazy Y-chromosome carriers...and I'm JEALOUS as hell!

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

Oh God, tell me about it...both boys have been accused of "not cutting the umbilical cord"...those girls don't stay in their lives very long. #1 son doesn't say much about being a mama's boy, #2 son proudly announces it to anyone and everyone. If I could have had a guarantee of nothing but boys, I'd have kept having kids. I'm almost envious of that woman who just had her 14th son. I can imagine the fun and insanity ensuing from 14 loud, energetic, half crazy Y-chromosome carriers...and I'm JEALOUS as hell!

They are Mamas boys and they all know it ....and I got really lucky in the "girlfriend" department, all three are still with their girlfriends from Middle School ;)   we all know our places after all these years :)    can't wait for them to start families, I will be the bestest Grandma !   Oh, they also still call me Mommy in public ...hehe..... and NO WAY would I have ever had 14 kids  :my_biggrin:

1 hour ago, freshlemonade said:

Ugh, I make the "and I" mistake all the time.  I know its wrong, but "your Dad and I" sounds so much better than "your Dad and me".  

But "Your dad and I" is correct when it's used as a subject, where "your dad and me" is correct when used as an object of a preposition:

"Your dad and I went to the store" and "She gave the tomato to your dad and me."

1 hour ago, feministxtian said:

I always enjoy your stories @feministxtian , but I can't help thinking that if I were your daughter and I came across this I'd feel incredibly sad. Obviously- not my circus, not my monkeys, and maybe you two joke about this together, I have no idea! 

1 hour ago, pandora said:

I always enjoy your stories @feministxtian , but I can't help thinking that if I were your daughter and I came across this I'd feel incredibly sad. Obviously- not my circus, not my monkeys, and maybe you two joke about this together, I have no idea! 

My daughter knows she's my one and only baby girl...and she likes being the one and only girl. She knows I'm crazy about her, my firstborn and so incredibly proud of how she's pulled herself together after some seriously rough years, including overcoming quite a few addictions. She knows the boys are "mama's boys" and she teases them unmercifully about it. This is the girl who beat the shit*** out of her brother's x-wife (they were still married when this happened) after she found out the x-wife cheated on him while he was in the field with the army...basically...do not mess with her little brothers (who are both bigger than she is) or you will have an incredible tornado of whoop-ass unleashed on you. She's always been more independent than the boys. She and I are more alike than either one of us would like to admit. She's an incredible young woman, beyond strong, smart, beautiful, independent, and she makes her mama SO proud. 

***Yes she did beat that girl up one side and down the other. His X decided to go up to where my daughter lived to play around thinking nobody would know...well...bad news...my daughter was in the same bar. 

3 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

But "Your dad and I" is correct when it's used as a subject, where "your dad and me" is correct when used as an object of a preposition:

"Your dad and I went to the store" and "She gave the tomato to your dad and me."

And I just want to stick a spork in my eye, with the grammar lessons.  Seriously with the nit picking :teasing-poke:

This is a touchy subject with me, I was recently relived of a job because of nit picking. 

The I thing doesn’t bother me with Joy because some people don’t realize the trick for it and she wasn’t afforded the schooling she deserved. As for people in public schools or real college, I go absolutely bonkers when someone is working with the public and doesn’t use spell check or says things like “I seen” instead of “I saw”

I once noped out on a company for ending an email with “THX” when I inquired about their product. As someone who went through business English I notice the tiniest errors so I hate careless ones.

On 4/7/2018 at 6:35 PM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I think so too, and that asshole divorced Andrea and went on to have many many more kids. 

Last I heard he only has one child with his second wife. She worked in the same building that I worked in. From what I remember of her, her child bearing years were limited. A friend/coworker lived down the street from Rusty and Andrea , sad times.

17 hours ago, Jilli said:

I once noped out on a company for ending an email with “THX” when I inquired about their product. As someone who went through business English I notice the tiniest errors so I hate careless ones.

Back in the day when the first wave of Blackberries came out you saw all sorts of hilarious spellings due to a pretty bad autocorrect in the software. And the practice was often to remove "Sent with my Blackberry" from the signature as it was somehow thought to be better that clients believed you were at the office 24/7. Two of the corner office corporate tax partners in the law firm where I worked (top national firm) were away at a conference when they got an email from a huge client asking to check their conflicts to see if they could represent them in a matter. They were at a dinner so one of them decided to quickly reply on their behalf and didn't check the words that had auto corrected. Needless the say the e-mail signed off with "Best retards, Chris & Paul". They were horrified later on.

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 3:01 PM, AtlanticTug said:

And the practice was often to remove "Sent with my Blackberry" from the signature as it was somehow thought to be better that clients believed you were at the office 24/7. 

My somewhat-sort of boss chided me on this once. Although I find it weird because everyone KNOWS I'm not in the office (I work from home) and really - who cares? I'm responding to your email! 

She thought it looked unprofessional. 

On 29/04/2018 at 5:01 AM, AtlanticTug said:

Back in the day when the first wave of Blackberries came out you saw all sorts of hilarious spellings due to a pretty bad autocorrect in the software. And the practice was often to remove "Sent with my Blackberry" from the signature as it was somehow thought to be better that clients believed you were at the office 24/7. Two of the corner office corporate tax partners in the law firm where I worked (top national firm) were away at a conference when they got an email from a huge client asking to check their conflicts to see if they could represent them in a matter. They were at a dinner so one of them decided to quickly reply on their behalf and didn't check the words that had auto corrected. Needless the say the e-mail signed off with "Best retards, Chris & Paul". They were horrified later on.

Haha Samsung Auto Correct is way better than the Apple one IMHO. 

However, I honestly sometimes don't have the time to stop and remove the "sent from my iPhone" and "Sent from my iPad" when I'm out and about for work!

I occasionally troll my boss when I send him emails by changing my signature to "sent from my pager" or "sent from my Atari" or something stupid like that. 

27 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I occasionally troll my boss when I send him emails by changing my signature to "sent from my pager" or "sent from my Atari" or something stupid like that. 

I worked with a guy who had "thumbed from my iPhone" at the bottom of his... 

But I love that - Atari! I wish my boss had a sense of humor.

On 4/25/2018 at 7:38 PM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

He is a happy little guy, that makes me happy. I'm also happy to see no swaddled arms.  And yeah that baby is all Forsyth. 

What is wrong with swaddled arms? Most (not all) babies love being swaddled.

8 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I'm so doing this!

1 hour ago, freethemall said:

What is wrong with swaddled arms? Most (not all) babies love being swaddled.

Nothing, but Jill has posted photos of Samuel with his arms swaddled, only his arms, it is more like they are tying his arms down, to keep him from reaching for things.  This isn't done for they baby. This is punishment.

Spoiler

Jill-Duggar-And-Jessa-Duggar-Baby-Updates.thumb.jpg.20d20023c4d15d364c9146aae91876e2.jpg

Oh man, many years ago when I was still working in an office I had a new boss start. He put this weird Latin phrase as his auto Blackberry signature and all the engineers went nuts trying to be the first to work it out. They then had this big, unspoken contest where they all added cryptic superduperextraspeshul auto signatures. It went on for weeks. New boss was so thrilled that he had inspired such a stupid, petty trend. 

I didn't have the heart to tell him that they also got really competitive and aggressive over the reward stickers I would hand out to people who returned stuff to me quickest. I am literally talking about those "great job!" "well done!" "awesome work!" ones with apples and pencils on that you give to little kids. The glittery ones were viciously fought over. I wish I was joking. 

5 hours ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

I didn't have the heart to tell him that they also got really competitive and aggressive over the reward stickers I would hand out to people who returned stuff to me quickest. I am literally talking about those "great job!" "well done!" "awesome work!" ones with apples and pencils on that you give to little kids. The glittery ones were viciously fought over. I wish I was joking. 

Totally agree -- It's bizarre to see how hard people will work for stickers.  

On 4/28/2018 at 8:01 PM, AtlanticTug said:

I misspelled the name of my university on the cover page of one of my final papers in grad school. I didn't notice until I was handing in the required hard copy (in my defense I had pulled an all nighter to get it done). I was horrified. 

Still got an A. 

4 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I misspelled the name of my university on the cover page of one of my final papers in grad school. I didn't notice until I was handing in the required hard copy (in my defense I had pulled an all nighter to get it done). I was horrified. 

Still got an A. 

I once handed in a paper that had one of the pages stapled in upside down. The professor turned it right side up, read it - and turned it back around and kept going. I don't even think he mentioned it! 

Now that I have friends who are profs/teachers - and it's grading season - I can only imagine what he thought!

1 hour ago, Meggo said:

I once handed in a paper that had one of the pages stapled in upside down. The professor turned it right side up, read it - and turned it back around and kept going. I don't even think he mentioned it! 

That's really nice!  

15 hours ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

Oh man, many years ago when I was still working in an office I had a new boss start. He put this weird Latin phrase as his auto Blackberry signature and all the engineers went nuts trying to be the first to work it out. They then had this big, unspoken contest where they all added cryptic superduperextraspeshul auto signatures. It went on for weeks. New boss was so thrilled that he had inspired such a stupid, petty trend. 

Not joking, my husband is a post-doc and had to teach a lecture this year, I seriously just asked if he can ask to teach next year so I can put stickers on the students work they turn in! I have those exact ones from playing school with my son!  (Physics Masters Students, I bet they could use some cheer)

16 hours ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

Imagine how hard they would have worked for smelly stickers, the ultimate prize of my elementary school years! We used to carefully peel them off our papers and collect them on a folder or notebook.

1 hour ago, StraightOuttaArkansas said:

Not joking, my husband is a post-doc and had to teach a lecture this year, I seriously just asked if he can ask to teach next year so I can put stickers on the students work they turn in! I have those exact ones from playing school with my son!  (Physics Masters Students, I bet they could use some cheer)

I know a couple post-doc folks would would have loved and laughed so hard at the well done stickers. I would live to see this on a this level of work and see how the youngadults react to something so silly, but meant in good fun.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived