IGNORED

Joy and Austin (and Gideon) 22: When Nothing Much Happens

Jellybean

I don't think it's exactly like JB the 50's or anything but u do think how they both appear is part or their brand. I think it's safe to say that most congregations prefer a younger, good looking couple who has a few kids for a multitude of reasons.... not saying it's right or fair just how it is.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the influence of the pastor's wife probably just depends on the church. I got to know a woman whose husband was a pastor, making her "first lady," and she was under a lot of pressure to set a good example. Her husband got really upset at her for getting a small tattoo on her arm, for instance, and she had to cover it at church. It was also expected to pretty much be a job for her even though she wasn't getting paid and had her own full time job outside the church.

I'm Jewish and my Rabbi's wife was really involved with the stuff that went on in the temple. She got a lot of flack from the older members of the temple but as much anymore. He never expected her to be heavily involved. 

I think the idea of imitating every single choice the pastor's wife makes is rather old-fashioned, but often the way a pastor and his wife/kids presents himself is a declaration of predominant church beliefs. For example, if Jinger was skirts-only, I bet most of the congregation wouldn't care- but some could view it as a visual sign that Jinger (and Jeremy) view skirts as more appropriate and more modest than pants. Therefore, they might be inclined to follow that standard and example, because they see it as based on Deuteronomy 22:5 or something. And I bet any young, unmarried women in the church look up to Jinger and want to emulate her because they think she's cool and they want to get a hot pastor husband, too. (I disagree on the hot part, Jeremy isn't my type, but you get the idea).

Also, my SO got me these leggings, and I wanted to brag because he's awesome.

Spoiler

19cc8b6aad2058f99739625144668cb1_origina

On 4/1/2018 at 10:15 AM, Daisy0322 said:

My husband doesn't pick out clothes for me often but he is awesome at it! I buy a lot of his clothes just because he doesn't like to shop and he could care less.

My husband is awesome at anything fashion related. He worked in Manhattan for a few years and says it really made him look at what people wear, lol. I just want to be comfortable 99% of the time. But I'd wear whatever he told me looks good because he makes bold choices and I trust him bc he's not a perv who would choose revealing stuff or that sort of thing! IMO there is nothing wrong with a husband picking out a wife's clothes once in a while, or the wife wearing something she knows her husband likes. The equality and relationship between the people is what matters. My husband and I are 100% equals. Him saying 'you should try this on' doesn't mean "I AM TELLING YOU HOW I WANT YOU TO LOOK' it's saying 'this might look nice.'

10 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

but often the way a pastor and his wife/kids presents himself is a declaration of predominant church beliefs. For example, if Jinger was skirts-only, I bet most of the congregation wouldn't care- but some could view it as a visual sign that Jinger (and Jeremy) view skirts as more appropriate and more modest than pants. Therefore, they might be inclined to follow that standard and example

Thank you for making my point much better than I did. 

I also think that the specific church has a lot of impact. A megachurch with multiple pastors where you could easily not recognize or ever meet the pastors wife is going to be a lot different than a smaller church where the wife is often more visible. 

On 4/2/2018 at 7:24 AM, Nargus said:

But the pastor in question is Jeremy. He probably wants to think that his wife sets some kind of attainable fashion standard for the women of his congregation.  They're more high profile than 99.9% of pastor/wife combos.  Anyone can tune into TLC and see how his wife dresses.  He probably thinks that matters.

If his congregation pays even a fraction of the attention that we give Jinger's fashion choices, it does!   lol

Joy and Austin will ‘share their testimony’ of marriage. After less than a year, I’m sure they’re full of important, never heard ideas. 

Holy cow, in that 4th picture Jackson looks just like Joy.  Gideon is a chunk and still all Austin.  

23 minutes ago, GreatScott said:

Joy and Austin will ‘share their testimony’ of marriage. After less than a year, I’m sure they’re full of important, never heard ideas. 

when you flip through those pictures there is one of Gideon with his pacier and he just looks done with the whole thing. 

1 hour ago, GreatScott said:

7488B1D1-E5CF-483D-A206-D53E50A2E285.jpeg.f53889bd692ac382809137d224d46de8.jpeg

Joy answered a question about this. I honestly like her response a lot. Way better than Derick’s. 

20 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

7488B1D1-E5CF-483D-A206-D53E50A2E285.jpeg.f53889bd692ac382809137d224d46de8.jpeg

Joy answered a question about this. I honestly like her response a lot. Way better than Derick’s. 

honestly sounds like she's being pressured to talk. 

I don’t understand how their ‘testimony’ of getting together is applicable to a marriage retreat. If anything, it’d be more ‘impactful’ directed at a group of unmarried kids. 

But I agree, it does sound like she’s being forced to to do. And maybe consider the same thing as us, that this seems kind of weird 

If you're working around the camp, wouldn't pants be more practical? Not godly enough, and people might not know she's a woman.

I think she's wearing pants under her skirt, which just screams silly to me. Like the Bates girls when they went skiing.

5 minutes ago, albireo said:

I think she's wearing pants under her skirt, which just screams silly to me. Like the Bates girls when they went skiing.

yep she is wearing pants and maybe it's BEC of me but when I see things like that I want to just scream wear pants or a skirt not both. stop trying to have it both ways. 

27 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

yep she is wearing pants and maybe it's BEC of me but when I see things like that I want to just scream wear pants or a skirt not both. stop trying to have it both ways. 

Maybe she's just working her way up to it. When I stopped wearing mainly sweaters, I wore longsleeves until I felt comfortable enough for short sleeves. 

Like maybe they can share being young and married? But I'm trying to think of what's different compared to all the other young fundies couples that get married too.

Let's be honest: Joy and Austin are sharing their testimony because people/leghumpers will sign up to see and possibly meet a Duggar.

It's their celebrity status that will be used to sell places at the retreat.

Actually helpful information regarding marriage will - I assume and hope - be provided by other speakers.

11 hours ago, albireo said:

The “swim” skirts over leggings have to be among my least favorite as well. Once you jump in the water your skirt will float and then cling to your legs when you get out anyway. Seems counterproductive to me at least. 

Cute photos...and good for them for getting out and actually working. I have no interest in their message, but I do support them getting out and working at the family business.

No sling...so Joy must be actually working.

4 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Cute photos...and good for them for getting out and actually working. I have no interest in their message, but I do support them getting out and working at the family business.

No sling...so Joy must be actually working.

She's only 5 weeks post partum from a c/section she shouldn't be doing much strenuous physical activity, like raking just yet. And seeing her now, she must not have gained much weight, she was ALL BABY just before he was born so she either really didn't gain much weight or slowed it way way down after her 1st trimester.

3 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

She's only 5 weeks post partum from a c/section she shouldn't be doing much strenuous physical activity, like raking just yet. And seeing her now, she must not have gained much weight, she was ALL BABY just before he was born so she either really didn't gain much weight or slowed it way way down after her 1st trimester.

Eh- She's 20 YO. I could have run races and worked in the ICU at 5 weeks post op and I was 10+ years older than Joy. I'm sure she is OK. I agree she looks like she feels great and is healthy.

12 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Eh- She's 20 YO. I could have run races and worked in the ICU at 5 weeks post op and I was 10+ years older than Joy. I'm sure she is OK. I agree she looks like she feels great and is healthy.

I could as well, but I still couldn't vacuum my living room with out being in a ton of pain after my c/sections. for a good 2.5 months.

Recovering from surgery (or recovery in general) is down to much more than age. Some people are incredibly fast back on their feet, some need longer.

It is nice to see she is out and active because it makes me assume she feels fine and hopefully isn’t pressured by anyone. 

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived