IGNORED

Counting on Season 4 - Part 5 - Volunteering or Profiteering

Buzzard

4 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

What the hell does "Sunny Side Up" mean? Why are we using food to describe a baby? 

Posterior position, so the baby's skull is up against mama's pelvis (or back).  It can make for a longer labor and "back" labor, where there is significant pain in the back during labor (I can attest to the truth of that) to go along with normal labor pains.  Super fun! https://www.parents.com/advice/pregnancy-birth/giving-birth/what-does-posterior-position-mean/

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

What the hell does "Sunny Side Up" mean? Why are we using food to describe a baby? 

Posterior place- meaning the baby is born face up, while most babies are born face down. Face down is better for labor as the head, the biggest part of a baby, is pushing down on the cervix- Posterior placement makes for long, painful labors often including back labor. My first was SSU-

2 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

Is that a common term? Because everytime Joy said that I was like should I've heard of this? I also think it's interesting how everyone perceives their pain as well. I've never had children but I already can't handle cramps or my mild heaches every once in a while so I'm assuming my body would not handle labor either.

Amongst those who've given birth, it seems to be.  And pain management is a strange thing.  I hate pain in my head or teeth (and I get migraines), but can do better elsewhere.  Thankfully we have lots of options about pain control and labor these days!  Of course, only for those who want kids -- no pressure from me about anyone reproducing.

Pain perception and fear were two of the reasons I worried about Jill and her home birth desires.  She never seemed comfortable with pain or uncertainty.  Her wisdom teeth and blood donation experiences were painful to the viewer, so IDK how she thought labor would be a breeze. 

For me it all comes down to mindset. I knew that once I had the baby the pain would be over. So I dealt with it. Now any little minor pain to me feels like a huge deal and I have no tolerance to pain. 

I labored the longest with my first child. I made it to 7 cm before asking for pain relief and was told my only option was an epidural. I do NOT regret the decision to get the epidural because the best way I can describe the contractions at that point is it felt like Freddy Krueger’s claw hand had ripped into my pelvis and was squeezing my ovaries until they were about to pop. 

Maybe this was transition? I have a fairly high tolerance for pain and until then I had been able to breathe through the pain. Once the ripping and burning started, I was over it. I didn’t reach 10 cm for another 12 hours, so I’m glad I opted for an eidural. I was able to get a good night’s sleep before waking up to start pushing. 

3 hours ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

I've never given birth, and most likely never will, but I've always been curious about the intensity of that pain. I have quite a bad migraine, and it would be interesting to know how the pain of giving birth relates to the worst migraine pain I've ever had (feeling like truly dying for 12 hours and should have left for ER but could not move an inch because the pain was too much). Of course those two are different kind of pains, but are there any migraine sufferers here who could tell from their experience?

For me, labor trumped migraines. Migraines are awful, but I know they'll end without incurring pain after that, possibly within an hour or two. Labor? No such guarantee. I described labor pains, for me, as being an ice pick through the pelvis repeatedly, and toward the end it was every one to two minutes. Your description of not being able to move about fits.

ETA: I feel like I should add that my case may be weird. I was induced and went from occasional cramps on pitocin to awful contractions the second my water broke.

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

I've never made a roast. Why would she have made a roast? It's kind of an impractical meal to make for 20 people, or for just two people, isn't it? It's also kind of expensive, and not everyone's a huge fan of red meat, so...

It's not cheap, but we can get 4 days of dinners out of it for two of us. Two as the roast and veggies, two turned into a meat and veggie pie to stretch it. Not the most economical week, but it works.

The "about 8 pounds" guessing kills me. This is why my ob practice sends their patients for a size and positioning ultrasound in the last trimester, to remove the guessing. The ultrasounds I had toward the end were within a few ounces of Little NQ's birthweight. More argument that she had someone unqualified as a midwife...

3 hours ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

I've never given birth, and most likely never will, but I've always been curious about the intensity of that pain. I have quite a bad migraine, and it would be interesting to know how the pain of giving birth relates to the worst migraine pain I've ever had (feeling like truly dying for 12 hours and should have left for ER but could not move an inch because the pain was too much). Of course those two are different kind of pains, but are there any migraine sufferers here who could tell from their experience?

My friend who is a self described wuss when it comes to pain had an un-medicated birth.  She said it was the most painful and intense thing she's ever experienced, but it wasn't unbearable because it was pain with a purpose. She said that she knew what it meant, what it was for, and that made it different than something like a migraine which is just pain on it's own.

During the last episode when J/J were with their friends, did the friends ask about the Vuolos about parenthood? Did Jinger say that they were waiting a year? Did I hear that right? Or did someone on FJ mention Jinger saying that at one time? If so and that did occur, it would seem that the Vuolos have not chosen to leave family planning entirely up to God.

6 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

During the last episode when J/J were with their friends, did the friends ask about the Vuolos about parenthood? Did Jinger say that they were waiting a year? Did I hear that right? Or did someone on FJ mention Jinger saying that at one time? If so and that did occur, it would seem that the Vuolos have not chosen to leave family planning entirely up to God.

she said not at this point. ( I believe she was talking really low and kind of giggling)  she obviously did not want to answer that question. at one point awhile back they said kids were in their five year plan. 

8 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I think it was the friends that said they could say J/J having kids after a year or so. I believe Jinger said not at this point (although it wouldn't surprise me if she was already pregnant) 

On 3/12/2018 at 7:49 PM, Daisy0322 said:

I can't get over that think don't think they need ANY kind of sex Ed "they'll figure it out together" ugh! I mean clearly they figured it out mechanics wise but there's definitely more to it than that. 

Wasn't there a bit in "Catch 22" where a couple went to a doctor to find out why the wife wasn't getting pregnant and when the doctor checked her out she was still a 'virgin' (hymen still intact)  I could be wrong - but I believe that is the book I read where that happened. 

Question for the hive that is only tangentially related to the Duggerlings.  To what extent were your labor and births similar to your biological sisters and mothers? 

It seems like the Duggar girls are tending towards large babies and long labors that need medical intervention.  I have never been particularly terrified of giving birth mostly because my sister, to whom I look very similar, and my mother -- and to some extent both grandmothers -- have had VERY easy births.  They all gave birth naturally with under an hour of active labor and left the hospital in their prepregnancy jeans.  Both genetics and lifestyle choices could be a factor in my family as we are all rather sporty.  

1 minute ago, mydoggoskeeper said:

Question for the hive that is only tangentially related to the Duggerlings.  To what extent were your labor and births similar to your biological sisters and mothers? 

It seems like the Duggar girls are tending towards large babies and long labors that need medical intervention.  I have never been particularly terrified of giving birth mostly because my sister, to whom I look very similar, and my mother -- and to some extent both grandmothers -- have had VERY easy births.  They all gave birth naturally with under an hour of active labor and left the hospital in their prepregnancy jeans.  Both genetics and lifestyle choices could be a factor in my family as we are all rather sporty.  

Mine was a bit like my mothers, quick and uncomplicated (although mine was less complicated than her first, but only a bit).  My sister had twins, so inherently more complicated and longer, but she had twins vaginally, so its likely had they been singles it would also have been very easy.

7 minutes ago, mydoggoskeeper said:

Mine were nothing like my mother’s labors and deliveries. My mother had 2 kids. Both were fairly easy, uncomplicated, full-term births. I have 3 kids; all were early and involved different complications. 

Mine was nothing like my mother's, although my child and I were the same size (1 oz. difference in weight). Mom got Twilight Sleep, and when she woke up, there I was! lol

5 hours ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

The pain affects different parts of your body, but I remember contractions as really really bad diarrhea cramps, the kind where the pain flashes through your whole body. You can feel each one coming on until there's so many they blend into one. Overall though I have that amnesia people talk about for both pregnancy and labor where I can't vividly remember the pain and think back like "oh it wasn't so bad I'd do it all again". Because if that amnesia didn't happen people would never have more than 1 baby.

19 hours ago, Alice in Fundieland said:

Oh, he said natural. I cringed.

Because 'in pain shall she bring forth her children' (loose quotes there - but the Bible says that women are supposed to be in pain to have children)  Yep.  That's the way it is until they figure out how a man can push one out.   Hell, have him pee out a speck of dirt out of his pee pee and he'd need general anesthesia! 

28 minutes ago, MoonFace said:

Because 'in pain shall she bring forth her children' (loose quotes there - but the Bible says that women are supposed to be in pain to have children)  Yep.  That's the way it is until they figure out how a man can push one out.   Hell, have him pee out a speck of dirt out of his pee pee and he'd need general anesthesia! 

But didn't Mechelle have medicated births?  I expect this might be because 1. its what Joy wanted and 2. the options were really that or c-section and c-section means less babies?

6 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

But didn't Mechelle have medicated births?  I expect this might be because 1. its what Joy wanted and 2. the options were really that or c-section and c-section means less babies?

Joy could be lucky like Michelle and this be her first and only for a long time. Michelle had a c-section with Jana/John and then not another one until Jackson then she had them with Jordyn and Josie also.  I just hope Jill doesn't have the trouble that Jill seems to have. as much as I don't like them or want them to have eleventy kids I wouldn't want hard births on any of them. 

The pain affects different parts of your body, but I remember contractions as really really bad diarrhea cramps, the kind where the pain flashes through your whole body. You can feel each one coming on until there's so many they blend into one. Overall though I have that amnesia people talk about for both pregnancy and labor where I can't vividly remember the pain and think back like "oh it wasn't so bad I'd do it all again". Because if that amnesia didn't happen people would never have more than 1 baby.
I had that never forget it pain with my first birth. A nine pound nine ounce baby girl. My doctor blew off my screams for an epidural. There are four years between two oldest because I wasnt sure I could take another unmedicated birth.

I feel for Joy. The post birth recovery pain is miserable.

For me my migraines are worse than my labors. I had an epidural with my first and 2 unmedicated births after that. My first and my third baby was posterior and I had back labor for both, if that makes a difference.  For me, transition and pushing were fairly short so much easier to deal with than a migraine. I was able to carry a conversation through labor until the very end and there is no way I can function at all if a migraines hit full bore.

41 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Joy could be lucky like Michelle and this be her first and only for a long time. Michelle had a c-section with Jana/John and then not another one until Jackson then she had them with Jordyn and Josie also.  I just hope Jill doesn't have the trouble that Jill seems to have. as much as I don't like them or want them to have eleventy kids I wouldn't want hard births on any of them. 

Was Jackson the first televised birth? What was the cause for the c-section? Would stress from the cameras contribute to failure to progress? 

Nothing like my mother or sister.... Mine were much worse (obvs) which I point out to them whenever we discuss it!

For me, both migraines and labor are fairly unpleasant .. But at least you do get respite between contractions, which makes the difference (apart from my SSU labor where the immense pain just went on and on). Migraines just suck dick.

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I tend to mute J & J so I can't help you :D

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived