IGNORED

Counting on Season 4 - Part 5 - Volunteering or Profiteering

Buzzard

25 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Thank you so much @Carm_88! I'm kind of confused. Did they actually show Kendra and Joe's wedding again? Will we be seeing Joy and Austin's again too? Is it all just recapping weddings from here to eternity, TLC?

For some reason, TLC has gotten into the habit of showing the wedding as a "special", then going backwards and showing the lead up to the wedding, and showing the wedding again at the end of the season (with a little bit of extra footage). They did the same for Joy's wedding and, if I'm remembering correctly, Jinger's as well. I have no idea who told them this was a good model to follow.

If they stick to the same formula, we'll probably see Josiah's "wedding special" at the end of next season, and then all the wedding prep the season after that. (Assuming, of course, SiRen follows a typical three-month engagement schedule and are married before the end of June).

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Thank you so much @Carm_88! I'm kind of confused. Did they actually show Kendra and Joe's wedding again? Will we be seeing Joy and Austin's again too? Is it all just recapping weddings from here to eternity, TLC?

Yep! It was JoKen's wedding, the extended edition. The same wedding that you were bored of the first time with thrilling extras like: Josie and Jordyn decorate cakes, Lauren and Joy sob at the rehearsal dinner, AND multiple slo mo shots of the first kiss! 

1 hour ago, VineHeart137 said:

For some reason, TLC has gotten into the habit of showing the wedding as a "special", then going backwards and showing the lead up to the wedding, and showing the wedding again at the end of the season (with a little bit of extra footage). 

I think it was done because they're so far behind in airing these episodes that viewers saw pictures long before the weddings aired and it cut down on viewership. The viewers lose interest. Of course when there's so much rehashing the viewers lose interest anyway.

Counting On thoughts:

- I can't help it, Kendra and Joe are totally my pet fundies. Yes, they're very sheltered and naive. Yes, they have probably internalized some very toxic beliefs. But they're both such kind, thoughtful people. Joe writing a letter to each of his siblings?? So sweet. And that's why I think they'll be a happy couple: they're both giving, humble, genuinely nice people. And I think Kendra is gorgeous (and Joe has become a cutie!). I think there are fundie couples who aren't necessarily great examples of the lifestyle working out for them (Josh and Anna, Jill and D-Wreck, etc), and then couples that seem completely suited to the fundie existence. And I'm really happy for those who find contentment in their lives. Especially since they don't have much of an option to leave.

- I was shocked that Jessa and Ben talked about how hard marriage is. Props to them for keeping it real.

- I was also shocked that Joy and Austin talked about appreciating those special moments together early on because you'll soon stop thinking they're special. Does the honeymoon phase really wear off after a couple months...??? I was on cloud nine for like a solid year and a half after future-Mr.-Bananabread and I got together. Joy and Austin's dynamic gives me weird vibes, and that comment didn't help.

- In the preview for the next season, I was struck by Jinger and Michelle's tearful embrace after Jinger announced her pregnancy. It got me thinking that maybe she was having difficulty conceiving...or at least that Michelle thought she was.

1 hour ago, bananabread said:

Counting On thoughts:

- I can't help it, Kendra and Joe are totally my pet fundies. Yes, they're very sheltered and naive. Yes, they have probably internalized some very toxic beliefs. But they're both such kind, thoughtful people. Joe writing a letter to each of his siblings?? So sweet. And that's why I think they'll be a happy couple: they're both giving, humble, genuinely nice people. And I think Kendra is gorgeous (and Joe has become a cutie!). I think there are fundie couples who aren't necessarily great examples of the lifestyle working out for them (Josh and Anna, Jill and D-Wreck, etc), and then couples that seem completely suited to the fundie existence. And I'm really happy for those who find contentment in their lives. Especially since they don't have much of an option to leave.

- I was shocked that Jessa and Ben talked about how hard marriage is. Props to them for keeping it real.

- I was also shocked that Joy and Austin talked about appreciating those special moments together early on because you'll soon stop thinking they're special. Does the honeymoon phase really wear off after a couple months...??? I was on cloud nine for like a solid year and a half after future-Mr.-Bananabread and I got together. Joy and Austin's dynamic gives me weird vibes, and that comment didn't help.

- In the preview for the next season, I was struck by Jinger and Michelle's tearful embrace after Jinger announced her pregnancy. It got me thinking that maybe she was having difficulty conceiving...or at least that Michelle thought she was.

well these people know that in only days after the wedding they could end up pregnant and dealing with all that comes with that, and not able to focus on being a newlywed and getting to know each other but focusing on this new child that is coming into the world. 

besides Jinjer waiting a year for baby everyone else conceived before the six month mark. most during the honeymoon. 

Joy got pregnant pretty much straight away, though. They only had nine months of being alone, sans chaperones. 

Judging by how they regularly eat the Duggars could very well not be familiar with any herbs and spices at all. I knew someone who didn’t know anything beyond salt and pepper. He had no clue about anything else. He once made his spaghetti the way his mom made which was “the best and you’ll love it if you tried it.” I was looking forward to it but I saw him make it and he literally opened a can of Campbell’s tomato soup and dumped it on pasta. That was it. Nothing else. Another time he cooked pork chops by spraying a pan with non stick spray and cooked them with absolutely no spices. I dropped by my apartment to get some pork dry rub and it was apparently  so good he had to call home about it. Some people know how to heat up food but they don’t know how to cook. I suspect the Duggars are like that. 

Plus, the Duggars are used to cooking in bulk, and I think that a lot of bulk cooking comes from using processed/canned foods. Blech. 

Just now, viii said:

Plus, the Duggars are used to cooking in bulk, and I think that a lot of bulk cooking comes from using processed/canned foods. Blech. 

yeah we know they have a huge pantry with rows upon rows of canned and boxed goods but do they have a giant fridge/ freezer to keep meat and fresh ingredients in? 

I know this has said a hundred times about cooking, but how does a lifestyle that focuses so much on the importance of the domestic sphere not understand how to spice food? I understand if you only know cooking with cheap canned food, but something tells me (*cough* homebirths and detergent making and gardening *cough*) that the Duggars have at least dabbled in the crunchy side of fundiedom. It baffles me that you wouldn't assume spices are in meatballs in the first place, but that you can't follow a recipe that calls for spices in meatballs? What?!

I know it's not technically food waste, but the thought of 200 meatballs without spices makes me a little angry in that vein. I can understand if people have allergies or access issues, but that's clearly not the case here.

Then again, this is coming from someone who would probably put a whole head of garlic in meatballs if my family would stand for it, so, grain of salt :pb_lol:. Also, to be fair, we use sausauge meat in ours, so those impart a lot of spiced flavor on their own.

3 minutes ago, NakedKnees said:

I know this has said a hundred times about cooking, but how does a lifestyle that focuses so much on the importance of the domestic sphere not understand how to spice food? I understand if you only know cooking with cheap canned food, but something tells me (*cough* homebirths and detergent making and gardening *cough*) that the Duggars have at least dabbled in the crunchy side of fundiedom. It baffles me that you wouldn't assume spices are in meatballs in the first place, but that you can't follow a recipe that calls for spices in meatballs? What?!

I know it's not technically food waste, but the thought of 200 meatballs without spices makes me a little angry in that vein. I can understand if people have allergies or access issues, but that's clearly not the case here.

Then again, this is coming from someone who would probably put a whole head of garlic in meatballs if my family would stand for it, so, grain of salt :pb_lol:. Also, to be fair, we use sausauge meat in ours, so those impart a lot of spiced flavor on their own.

I think it comes down to one time what's faster opening a bunch of cans or prepping a full homemade meal. and also price. I don't think the bread making and laundry soap came about until the j'slaves were teens and they were living in the TTH and iirc Jason is the one who started the garden only a few years ago and then Jana took it over. 

in the road trip special MIchelle tried to say that she always had a fresh veggie at dinner  but would have to stick with cans for the trip. there were so many cans. (I don't believe her about the fresh at all tbh.) 

When Joy was speaking and crying at the rehearsal I found it interesting when she said to Joe something like "when I was having a hard time taking my parent's religion as my own you were really there for me" etc, they are so close and he paid attention to her when she really needed it. Anyway, as they barely ever actually speak of anything of substance hearing those words come out of her mouth caught me. Specifically the "my parent's religion" part. I remember others speaking about being saved in their pre-teen years and I think that is par for the course. It's expected that when they approach adulthood (puberty) at some point the last vestiges of their critical thinking might peek, cause doubt....oh no!.... but then the very fact that they questioned for a moment causes them to truly see how sinful and awful they are and they feel soo guilty and they come back to (their parent's) faith even harder! And often they have a sibling that was right there for them to comfort and encourage them through that difficult time (of devasting fear and guilt) and back to the lord. It's just an interesting dynamic I see in a lot of these siblings and their sibs-in-law too and I think it does cause real bonds, for better or for worse. And referring to it in terms of "accepting the faith of my parents"....it's like they are all in a hostage situation, and they're grateful to be in it together... but none of them will ever come to see it that way or question for long...because the stolkholm syndome gets passed along and kept alive from sibling to sibling, husband to wife etc. keeping them all tightly locked into the situation and perpetuating it and the bonds keep getting stronger and tighter. 

10 minutes ago, NakedKnees said:

I know this has said a hundred times about cooking, but how does a lifestyle that focuses so much on the importance of the domestic sphere not understand how to spice food?

Spicing food is the least of their problems. They are all terrible cooks, and aside from Jana's garden and some half-assed attempts before that, they didn't ever bother growing their own food. For a family with that many people and that much land it's just preposterous. They could have also had chickens for eggs for example. Obviously once the TLC $ started rolling in there was less need but they have awful eating habits. Tons of canned, processed food, cheese and cream-laden meals, etc.

This all flows from their general laziness as a family. It's kind of weird given that Michelle and JB did actually run a business early in their marriage and did work. But they sure did not instill a work ethic in their kids. Aside from JD and Jana, who is productive in the slightest? Josh was given the car lot and then handed that "job" in Washington where he was basically the face of fundie political activism. The other brothers work on the car lot or do...God knows what all day? The girls were clearly never encouraged  or permitted to work. Were it not for the TLC $ and JB's prudent investing in real estate, etc, they'd be a massive drain on society.

I’ve said it a lot, but the whole “Duggar daughters don’t know how to cook” thing is a running theme for TLC. We’ve seen it used as a storyline for each of the married daughters, usually during their courtships:

- Jill not knowing how much rice to cook when making a Nepali dish with Jana.

- Jessa learning to make Chicken Parm and apple pie from Ben’s sisters. Also, not removing the oven manual before turning the oven on once.

- Jinger making sauce with Jeremy’s Grandma and not being able to name pasta shapes.

- Joy making a dessert (cheesecake?) with Austin’s Mom and sister.

Usually, the sister in question is portrayed as having no clue what she’s doing and the female future in-law* is there to help guide her. I’m pretty sure those scenes were all made up for the show because TLC thinks it’s more relatable or something. I mean, it’s possible they honestly forgot the spices, but with TLC’s track record I wouldn’t be at all surprised if this meatball incident were more of storyline for the show.

*The exception being Jill. Her MIL was very sick during her courtship and likely wasn’t able to film a scene like that. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s why Jill got a scene where she has Jana to help guide her for that reason. 

16 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I’ve said it a lot, but the whole “Duggar daughters don’t know how to cook” thing is a running theme for TLC. We’ve seen it used as a storyline for each of the married daughters, usually during their courtships:

- Jill not knowing how much rice to cook when making a Nepali dish with Jana.

- Jessa learning to make Chicken Parm and apple pie from Ben’s sisters. Also, not removing the oven manual before turning the oven on once.

- Jinger making sauce with Jeremy’s Grandma and not being able to name pasta shapes.

- Joy making a dessert (cheesecake?) with Austin’s Mom and sister.

Usually, the sister in question is portrayed as having no clue what she’s doing and the female future in-law* is there to help guide her. I’m pretty sure those scenes were all made up for the show because TLC thinks it’s more relatable or something. I mean, it’s possible they honestly forgot the spices, but with TLC’s track record I wouldn’t be at all surprised if this meatball incident were more of storyline for the show.

*The exception being Jill. Her MIL was very sick during her courtship and likely wasn’t able to film a scene like that. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s why Jill got a scene where she has Jana to help guide her for that reason. 

I don't know there is a discussion going on over at the Jill and Derick thread about some very horrible recipes Jill has up on their website. 

The spice thing could also be because kids can be really finicky eaters, and with  that many kids it might have been easier to underspice/season the food.

As one of the resident English Majors on FJ, I thought I would help out by making a complete and unabridged list of Duggar wedding adjectives.  Sort of like the Oxford English Dictionary, but with only adjectives that are used by the Duggar family at weddings. Further, I have listed them in order of increasing intensity.

I will say "you're welcome" in advance.

sweet  --->  neat   --->  precious  ---> exciting  ---> surreal

2 hours ago, viii said:

Yeah, but even when I use canned condensed mushroom soup in a recipe, I add cracked pepper, dill and garlic.  Basic bulk spices are cheap like borscht.

2 hours ago, SamiKatz said:

The spice thing could also be because kids can be really finicky eaters, and with  that many kids it might have been easier to underspice/season the food.

Maybe they just get ready made meatballs at Costco and didn't have a clue that you have to put seasonings in.   

As for the kids being finicky, yeah, I can see that because they are used to industrial sized cans of cheese whiz or something.    

My granddaughter had a meatball that I made when she was 10 months old.   I use garlic.  A lot of garlic and seasonings.   The next day she saw her sister eating pasta and meatballs and refused to eat the baby food her mother was trying to feed her.  Turned her head and looked at her sister eating pasta and meatballs and made the sign for "more".   

Many fundies tend to not spice/flavour their food much. Look at the Maxwells and their bland-as-fuck burritos. They don't even have meat in! 

I don't use much spice in meatballs if I'm making them out of mince to put in a pasta dish, just herbs. I do use a fair bit of onion and garlic in the tomato sauce, and I have flavoured/spiced food otherwise (when the recipe calls for it obviously).

29 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

tend to not spice/flavour their food much.

I grew up eating incredibly bland food. My mother was... not... a cook (she also sucked at cleaning the house, getting her stray cats spayed/neutered, doing the laundry, etc.). The spiciest thing in our house was ketchup, and I'm not lying. I was in my teens before I ate a jalapeño pepper. I was in college before I ate Chinese food. I was in my 30s before I ate Indian food (and now I can eat a phall without batting TOO much of an eye). Salt and pepper was IT. Occasionally, garlic salt.

It's not just fundies. It's people who don't want to/don't know how to cook.

When it comes to cooking, I was in my 40s before I bought and used dill. 

9 hours ago, bananabread said:

Starting to agree here. They do both seem truly happy, and Joe seems like he actually cares about Kendra and is willing to do anything to ensure her happiness and well-being.

9 hours ago, bananabread said:

YES to Jessa and Ben. They may have some crazy beliefs but at least they're wiling to admit that things aren't always sunshine and roses (unlike some others... #besthubbyever, anyone?)

As for Jinger, I thought that scene was weird too, but I wonder if they actually edited an unrelated scene to make it seem like it was pregnancy-related, when it was really just her greeting her family after a long time.

12 minutes ago, beepy13 said:

YES to Jessa and Ben. They may have some crazy beliefs but at least they're wiling to admit that things aren't always sunshine and roses (unlike some others... #besthubbyever, anyone?)

I like how they admit they don't have much time together with two kids and how hard that is. Jessa has always seemed the most reserved and dare I say realistic duggar daughter when it came to marriage. she courted the longest. she had far less PDA  and love sick gushyness then any of her siblings. and it always kind of made a bit cranky that her siblings were always on her about that. 

5 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I don't know there is a discussion going on over at the Jill and Derick thread about some very horrible recipes Jill has up on their website. 

The only horrible recipe I saw was the chicken and dumpling one that was mentioned in the Dillard thread*. The rest of them really seemed fine. Some used cans of beans or tomatoes, but that’s actually pretty normal. Husband and I use both those for several recipes (chili, burritos, the family pasta sauce, etc.)

*Even the chicken and dumpling one would be fine with freshly cooked chicken or a rotisserie chicken. 

Someone might have already addressed this- but I thought I saw Jill Rodriguez in a navy blue dress and her husband is standing right behind her. After the wedding, when Joe was giving a speech saying he was looking around at everyone who has meant something to him over the years. I haven't followed her story very much- but I thought she was not friends with the duggars/bates?

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived