IGNORED

Best Courtship Stories?

Jatalie1996

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Katie Morton and Alan Smith's Courtship and wedding was terrible, even before we found out about Alan's crimes.  It was the way she said all the things about how she really wasn't sure, so she asked her dad to decide for her - which sounded like even at the time, she didn't want to, but with Captain Brett (Alan's dad) and her dad saying God had planned it, how could she say no?

Then there was all the stuff about her wedding, where she sat around in her dress until Captain Brett decided it was time, and Alan rode down on a horse to get her...  Not as bad as (Marantha?) who had to wait for DAYS in her wedding dress, but still, ridiculous.  Plus the cosplay costumes, including Captain Brett's cosplay Naval uniform...

Lol that  PowerPoint presentation was crazy. I love how she said that not finding the right girl was a hollow reason not to get married, and God would still ask on judgement day where your wife was.

• 2 weeks later...

Whew, I just dropped down a bunch of rabbit holes. It took me three days to read this little thread! But it was so interesting. Thanks, everyone!

On 3/16/2018 at 3:50 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

It seems to me his failed courtship was a learning experience. I imagine he probably realized that the perfect fundie courtship model was not in fact perfect. So he found himself a non fundie girl at sonic. Good for him. He also set an example of his younger siblings. You can find a mate at non fundie approved places and it still works out. 

I know people like to say Whitney is fundie but I don't think she is. 

ITA.  He clearly went into the courtship with Sarah prepared to go by all the courtship rules, likely because of his parents.   He no doubt figured that all would go well and in the end he would have a wife.  I don't think it ever occurred to him that things might not work out, so when Sarah ended it, it had to have rocked his world.  Not only losing Sarah but also he did everything he was supposed to, he followed what his parents guidance and it didn't work out.  If anything would get you to question the whole courship setup, I don't know what will.  Personally I was happy to hear he met Whitney at Sonic.  He met someone under normal circumstances not the constricted, parent-guided courtship model.  I think he will do OK and yes , I don't think Whitney is fundie.  She may have been good at looking it for a while though.

On 3/14/2018 at 9:34 PM, louisa05 said:

All that crying drama and letting go drama was over the son moving across the street? You'd think he was moving to Tibet and couldn't visit for ten years. 

Holy enmeshment, Batman!

On 3/12/2018 at 5:21 PM, closetcagebaby said:

So weird to me that she quotes from a Mormon church president! That seems very un-fundie to me. 

Not really. She was Mormon at the time.

On 3/16/2018 at 2:31 PM, Tangy Bee said:

Zach Bates 1st failed courtship was hard to watch. I felt that he should of asked Sarah in private instead of making a national scene on tv.  I believe in private she would have let him down easy without cameras, family, and strangers looking on. She clearly was caught off guard and maybe did the polite thing and agreed to the courtship

I wanted to comment on this.  Zach asking Sarah on TV was a really, really, really bad idea.  I don't know if it was his idea, or his parents' or what but it was clear she was not expecting him to do this.  I think she may have been aware of his intentions but not him showing up at her house with a TV crew.  

As far as letting him down easy, I think she did give him a chance in spite of the awkward courtship proposal.  They courted for several months and he did accompany the family on one of their tours.  I think that if she was just going along with things and being polite, I doubt that would have happened, it would have been the perfect reason to get some distance.  I wonder what happened that she finally broke it off after several months but I am guessing she just wasn't feeling it after all.   I wouldn't be surprised if Zach proposed marriage and that was the point that she had to end it.  I got the feeling Zach was especially crushed when it was over.

Archived