IGNORED

Bontragers and Bowers 2

Coconut Flan

One of the saddest things about the Internet Fleecing of Joshua is that it reinforces the Fundy belief that everyone in the outside world is a sinful crook, and therefore we need to shelter our kidlets even more. So they too can grow into naive bumpkins, ripe for the con man picking.

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This makes me so sad. I am going to make a lot of generalizations here so don't @ me. As someone who often works around and with internet illiterate seniors, this is the kind of thing I would expect from someone well past retirement age. People in their early 20s tend to be the most computer and internet savvy people. His family really did a disservice to him and his siblings

1 hour ago, artdecades said:

As someone who often works around and with internet illiterate seniors, this is the kind of thing I would expect from someone well past retirement age.

Yes, I too expect this sort of vulnerability and internet ignorance more from the over 80s, although there are always exceptions.  I did not "grow up" with computers but like many of my cohort have been using them and the Internet for 20+ years.  We wouldn't have stayed employed otherwise.  I am 63.

My generation taught our parents to use them and for seniors there are plenty of computer and internet classes at Councils on Aging all over the US, and have been since the late 90s.  Some Assisted Living residences also have classes.  But you can lead horses to water ...

I may end up taking one of those classes myself one of those days.  It is hard to stay current when technology is always improving, and you don't have employer provided computer support services when you retire.

FTR, I first started using a main-frame in 1982 for work.  It was room-sized but I never saw it.  We had to use a land-line rotary phone that sat in a honking big cradle of a modem to access it.   Those were the days. :)

2 hours ago, artdecades said:

People in their early 20s tend to be the most computer and internet savvy people. His family really did a disservice to him and his siblings

This.  And this is why Josh using free wifi at Walmart to do financial stuff makes me shake my head until it practically falls off.  

4 hours ago, HereticHick said:

One of the saddest things about the Internet Fleecing of Joshua is that it reinforces the Fundy belief that everyone in the outside world is a sinful crook, and therefore we need to shelter our kidlets even more. So they too can grow into naive bumpkins, ripe for the con man picking.

Agreed.  And did we all catch Joshua's racist stereotyping in that post. 

Soon, we transitioned the conversation to over the phone. In order to fully fix the “problem” Alex, an Apple technician with a distinct Indian accent, told me I would need to pay $200. 

If he ever needs telephone assistance for his computer or anything else he may find that legitimate help may come from people with "distinct Indian accents."  Not all people with accents are scammers, young Joshua.  Many quite reputable companies subcontract work overseas, and plenty of scammers are just as all-American as you are.

Sweet Rufus on the Wall, some of Joshua's blog readers seem just as naive as he is:

Stevie: "Why didn’t you call the police so that other people night have been saved from scamming?"

[Riiight, Stevie-- by all means, call the local police in whatever random town you are parked in. So they can, what???  Shoot the scammer through the telephone?  Arrest him via email?]

Chad:  "I’ve been scammed before. I try to lean towards counting it all joy no matter what I go thru and towards leaving vengeance in the hands of God and letting it be God’s place to repay and settle things."

[Great, Chad.  Did you just trust in God to remove the malware from your computer?  Did God have to block any purchases on your credit card?]

Naomi: "I have gotten scammed in almost the exact same way you did, although it was thru someone claiming to be from Microsoft. (I don’t have an Apple computer). They took $400+ from my bank account, thru my debit card, which I had to give them to clean up the viruses you know… I was able to get my money back thru my bank, but I still get calls from Robert."

[So glad you made a new friend in Robert the scammer, Naomi!!]

Note to self: If I ever become a cyberscammer, I've found a group of people to prey upon.

7 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Note to self: If I ever become a cyberscammer, I've found a group of people to prey upon.

Somewhere on the Dark Web "Alex" and the others have a thread going.  

"Preying on Fundies 101:

Pros:  You wouldn't believe how naive these people are.  Might want to track their blogs and social media to find their friends.  And they'll keep talking to you because they want to convert you!

Cons:  They insist on forgiving you, will exhort you for ages about your sins, and threaten to pray for you."

Just had to comment on these responses to Joshua's post:

30 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Chad:  "I’ve been scammed before. I try to lean towards counting it all joy no matter what I go thru and towards leaving vengeance in the hands of God and letting it be God’s place to repay and settle things."

Seems Chad may have been scammed a few times.  Maybe he should be a bit proactive as well as pissed off (more at himself than the scammer, at this point) rather then "counting it all joy" (WTF?) and believing the Big Sky Daddy will wreak venegance.

And...this one

30 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Naomi: .....I was able to get my money back thru my bank, but I still get calls from Robert."

Of course, Naomi, you will get calls from "Robert", who will keep trying in hopes you fall for it again.

On a lighter note, there are some hilarious Youtube videos out there from people wreaking venegance on scammers by calling the scammers back (IRS, Microsoft, etc.), pretending to go along, only to turn the tables. Some of the "personas" they adopt such as the English widow with 6 kids are hysterical.  One will time how long it takes for the scammer to figure out he or she is being messed with and um, point that out in their introduction of the video "this one was a record, folks! It took "Andrew" to catch on after 45 minutes!"

ETA: and...if you are ever pissed off over these people it's a good way to rid yourself of the the frustration.  Never fell for these scams but I got really pissed off at the constant IRS calls a couple of years ago.  I just wanted to pick up the phone and scream at them.

This is a favorite of mine. How to deal with a scammer.

I love Joe Lycett's comedy. I remember a few years back he did a brilliant piece where he got a parking fine cancelled! Always makes me laugh.

On 8/9/2018 at 6:30 PM, Palimpsest said:

plenty of scammers are just as all-American as you are.

Most of them will be or make themselves appear to be; scammers frequently make themselves seem "just like you" so that you're more likely to trust them. 

On 8/2/2018 at 10:02 AM, HereticHick said:

I just perused Joshua the wannabepreacher's list of recommended books: http://joshuabontrager.com/library/  

So many of the usual fundy suspects, including the Perls. He's got Orwell's Animal Farm, but not Orwell's 1984.  Not surprising.

He mentions his wife loves books, but he doesn't deign to share any of her recommendations with us.

He loves him some Charles Spurgeon, so I am still holding out hope for a future Christianwarriormanchild, Spurgeon Bontrager. 

no no no one Spurgeon in fundie land is enough no more please. 

:laughing-rollingyellow:

Allison wrote about her time living alone last year. It’s all very expected. I missed my family, I wasn’t held as accountable, I learned so much, blah blah blah. 

However I want to say at least she got the chance to live alone! I wish the Maxwell SAHDs got that chance! I’m sure they would hate it since they are so damn enmeshed. However I do think it would do them some good. Because one day they may be forced to live alone. And won’t know what to do. 

I will say those are some cute babies and I had to laugh well reading Chelsy's guest blog she really seemed eager to rush away from the Maxwell's when John went out of town. 

IMG_6568-1.jpg

5 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I am just going to leave this here well I go throw up. :disgust:

http://bontragersingers.blogspot.com/2018/08/join-us-on-september-3.html

Same old, same old. One year they had the Duggars perform. Another year they had Sen. Ted Cruz's dad preaching.  Maybe Joshua the Christian princeling will give testimony about how he was scammed via the Intertubes.

Allison is starting a new series. Feminine Friday! 

“I thought maybe you girls would enjoy a little series all about beauty/modesty/classiness!!!

I’m calling it “Feminine Friday” because, really as women femininity should be our goal as we seek to honor Christ with every part of our wardrobe. He created us, and our bodies are not our own.”

^^^^BARF. You can say that again. Fundies have proven time and time again that they don’t believe women’s bodies are their own. 

20 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Allison is starting a new series. Feminine Friday! 

“I thought maybe you girls would enjoy a little series all about beauty/modesty/classiness!!!

I’m calling it “Feminine Friday” because, really as women femininity should be our goal as we seek to honor Christ with every part of our wardrobe. He created us, and our bodies are not our own.”

^^^^BARF. You can say that again. Fundies have proven time and time again that they don’t believe women’s bodies are their own. 

The only reason she’s doing this is for those $weet Amazon affiliate link$.

Also, were did she live alone? She had her little sisters over all the time and she’s in a work outfit with others. Did she just live in one of their hotel rooms? I guess for her it was a big deal, but she would have been with family working there all day, so she would only be alone at night. 

1 hour ago, deborahlynn1979 said:

The only reason she’s doing this is for those $weet Amazon affiliate link$.

Also, were did she live alone? She had her little sisters over all the time and she’s in a work outfit with others. Did she just live in one of their hotel rooms? I guess for her it was a big deal, but she would have been with family working there all day, so she would only be alone at night. 

She lived in their hotel. So she was only alone in the evenings after work. It’s amazing to me that these women are so used to be around people 24/7 that they can’t even be alone in the evenings.

22 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

She lived in their hotel. So she was only alone in the evenings after work. It’s amazing to me that these women are so used to be around people 24/7 that they can’t even be alone in the evenings.

I think sleeping alone in a room must be a big change for big-family fundies.

Holy hell I just read the Scammed post. The cherry on top is that apparently it is all Satan’s fault. Maybe it is, Joshua - but not in the way you think - Satan is the master of deception, and I believe he seriously decieved your parents in how to teach children. Wow.

Chelsy announced her pregnancy. She’s 18 weeks along. Most fundies seem to announce around 12-14 weeks. I’m guessing she wanted to wait a few weeks so she wouldn’t steal her brothers’ thunder. So she was pregnant at the same time as her sisters in love (barf). I’m going to guess Bryn might be pregnant right now too but they are more private. So we might not find out about it for another month or two. 

On 8/9/2018 at 1:46 PM, HereticHick said:

Sweet Rufus on the Wall, some of Joshua's blog readers seem just as naive as he is...

[Riiight, Stevie-- by all means, call the local police in whatever random town you are parked in. So they can, what???  Shoot the scammer through the telephone?  Arrest him via email?]

You earned two LOLs from me with the bolded, @HereticHick - thanks! :D

Just an aside, I totally get why people think "barf" to sister/brother-in-love but I actually really like it and just started using it myself. I am an only child, who just got married to the youngest of 4, and now I have one sister-in-law. She and I get along really really REALLY well (like I started crying in my wedding speech for how lucky I am to get the sister I always wanted), but the siblings are so close that I don't want to disrespect that by calling her my "sister", so I've started using sister-in-love. She uses "sistah" sometimes too, but not really "sister" so I think for as much as she cares about me, she feels the same way. She's my SIL, not my real sis, but I can still have a term of endearment for her that the "in-law" doesn't always convey. Anyways, carry on! 

I wonder how Bryn and Mitchell are doing. I like them the best of the 3 Labor Day marriages - the most private and not on a public mission to install Gilead. If they are not expecting and (as I suspect) not preventing, I imagine Chelsy's announcement would be even harder than Cass and Lina's. 

@neurogirl I can’t snark on that much either. A tad corny perhaps. But my brother is far away..I was super close to my ex’s family. It broke my heart to lose them. I’d embrace a family that I should marry into. (presuming they were good folk)

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived