IGNORED

I, Tonya

ScorpiousMalfoy

So, a few days ago I got to watch "I, Tonya" (it premiered here in Central Europe on March 2nd, bc why not!). I think the story is extraordinary and it's CRAZY how it's real! Also, I love the dynamics of the movie and amazing performance by the cast (congrats on the Oscar, Alison!).

Since most of you guys here are US based, I can't help but ask! Do you have any recollections on that incident at the time it happened? What is your personal opinion on the story - do you think Tonya knew/was somehow complicit in the attack on Nancy Kerrigan?  And even before all that happened, what was the public opinion on Tonya and Nancy? Which one of them was more liked? 

And of course, the most important thing - what do you guys thnk about the movie - do you think it was fair and gave Tonya Harding a second chance or maybe it's insensitive to Nancy as a victim of an assault?

• 1 month later...

I was really young when the attack happened, but I do remember it being ridiculously intriguing. I think the movie did a good job of showing the class dynamics at play in Tonya's career and life. I have no idea whether she knew or not, but my money is on no. I think she would have spilled the beans by now if she did know.

I have no idea whether Tonya knew of the attack, but I suppose she had immediate suspicions.  Tonya was big news in our community, because she lived just a few miles from my childhood family home.  I thought the film gave a good idea of how chaotic Tonya's life was growing up.  Skating was really her refuge, and it was so sad during the scenes at the trial when she realized she'd been given a "life sentence." 

I hope you stayed through the part where they showed some snippets of the real-life characters. 

Sadly, we read in the local newspapers in subsequent years that Tonya's life continued to be chaotic and involving domestic violence.  We hope she's at a better place in her life, especially since she is raising her own child.

PS:  Sorry I missed this thread when it was first posted!

21 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

I hope you stayed through the part where they showed some snippets of the real-life characters. 

I did, of course!  It was a nice touch. I started to research the topic and found vids on youtube because wow, what a story! I read/watched some interview with her in which she said she has a happy family now and  she does not have any king of contacts with her mother or Jeff. So I guess - I hope -  it all worked out for her in the end - after all the chaos and crazy.

Archived