IGNORED

Joy & Austin 21: Still Talking About Baby Gideon

Jellybean

Of my core friend group, we have a two vegetarians, two GF, a friend who cant eat a variety of foods including onions, garlic, and mushrooms, any gluten, and cabbage, one who won't eat seafood -- and me, who is deathly allergic to some nuts. Cooking for our get-togethers can be challenging but doable. I aim to have everyone be able to eat at least a protein and a veg of some sort with the goal of 1/4 of the food being edible for all.  Its such an issue I've made labels indicating what is in each dish so if I'm not around, the ladies don't have to guess if they can eat it.    

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Scotland is also home of the most beautiful landscapes I've ever seen. See this house? I want it. It's between Glasgow & Fort William. (photo under spoiler)

Reveal hidden contents

5aa14dde049b7_28617256_10213908770770617_3533084599022357492_o-Copy.thumb.jpg.f0cf2365b45b92a643894b155f4103ed.jpg

You would be snowed in most winters. Large well stocked freezer and log pile required. A good spot for summer B&B business though. 

Entrance to Glencoe?

8 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

@singsingsing OMG someone else who doesn't like cheese! Like You I don't mind mozzarella, and I enjoy melted fake ass orange american cheese, but it has to be warm and melted, it is gross cold. I loathe most other cheeses, cold cheese grosses me out. 

Wow, there are more of us! I cannot stand cheese of any sort. The only thing cheese I can eat is plain regular Cheetos, and I don't think that really counts. Anything else cheese or cheese flavored I absolutely cannot eat. I hate the taste, the texture, the smell, cold, melted, doesn't matter... once on a family trip we went to a cheese factory, and I sat outside in the truck the whole time because the smell was so nauseating. It was really annoying as a kid because the default "reward" for everything in school was a pizza party. Which meant me sitting around hungry and feeling vaguely ill, nibbling at a crust.

19 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

You would be snowed in most winters. Large well stocked freezer and log pile required. A good spot for summer B&B business though. 

Entrance to Glencoe?

Yeah, the winters would be harsh... Very near Glencoe, actually. :) Not sure exactly where, but I've seen this particular house pop up on multiple Instagram feeds.

I know that I am picky, and I think it is largely due to stomach related issues, I'm trying to work around it as an adult but it's not easy. That being said, I know that if I'm in another person's house and I see nothing that I like "I already ate. I'm so sorry, everything looks so good, I'll know better next time." It's not a big deal and I don't ever feel the need to be accommodated. 

I do that a lot too. I have a very specific diet so but I'm happy to figure out what I can and can't eat at a party or dinner and go that route. Then eat at home afterwards or bring something I know I can eat. I don't really like putting other people out having to worry about what I can and can not eat. Or make them feel bad when I realize there was something the main dish I can't eat but didn't know. Most people are very understanding but not everyone. It is annoying to have when someone is on your case to eat the vegetables after I've explained to them why I can't and tell me what I have isn't real or surely there's no way one scoop of vegetables or salad is going to do any harm or lecture me on how healthy it is to eat vegetables. Don't tell me what I have doesn't exist because it does and I have it. Why are you offering me food after I've explained why I can't eat it? I really want to ask if they would give food someone is allergic too? Do you lecture them about how great and healthy tomatoes or nuts or whatever their allergic to?     

32 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

There are some mountain communities in my state like that. The "summer people" leave in the fall, but a core group live there year round. I've daydreamed about trying out a year or two there. Like you said, you'd need a stockpile of food and a big supply of wood. I'd also want a big stash of things to do, books to read, television shows and movies to watch, and plenty of knitting projects to work on. I bet I'd still end up with cabin fever after a couple of months. :kitty-wink:

1 hour ago, mydoggoskeeper said:

Its such an issue I've made labels indicating what is in each dish so if I'm not around, the ladies don't have to guess if they can eat it.    

I wish my husbands family would do that. I don't eat pork (taste & texture issue) but I get crap from his family every holiday about it. Been in the family nearly 20 years and haven't willingly consumed pork in at least 25 but yeah... every time. 

But we also have dairy, gluten, dye, peaches - all sorts of random allergies and I don't get why people don't LABEL it. It's too big a family (50+ at Christmas) to find the person to see if they used vegan marg in their potatoes or not.

And people wonder why I'm paranoid! Also, some people have really weird concepts, like, "Oh no, it doesn't have any nuts. Only a few walnuts." Ummmm... :pb_lol: One time at a family gathering my aunt brought a salad with feta cheese on it and was quite insulted that I wasn't eating it. I was really apologetic, reminding her that I'm so sorry, but I just can't eat cheese, I'll get sick. Her response: "But it's just some feta cheese!" Yes... it's cheese...

I'm actually only allergic to two kinds of nuts, cashews and pistachios. But I've started just telling people that I'm allergic to nuts, full stop, because I've found that this weird thing happens when I tell people I'm allergic to cashews and pistachios: they only hear 'pistachios'. It's like 'cashews' doesn't register.

There's a man from my old church congregation who would periodically post jokes about food allergies on Facebook, and it was just abundantly clear that he did not take the issue seriously at all. The third or fourth time it happened I just thought, "Great, thank you for the warning to never, ever eat at your house again."

13 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I don't like pasta

Ok, you lost me here. I get all the other stuff about cheese, allergies, food issues and just being picky but that part I don‘t. The concept of „not liking pasta“... Like what do you mean? :lost:

*warning: serious pasta lover being ironic*

1 hour ago, Meggo said:

I wish my husbands family would do that. I don't eat pork (taste & texture issue) but I get crap from his family every holiday about it. Been in the family nearly 20 years and haven't willingly consumed pork in at least 25 but yeah... every time. 

But we also have dairy, gluten, dye, peaches - all sorts of random allergies and I don't get why people don't LABEL it. It's too big a family (50+ at Christmas) to find the person to see if they used vegan marg in their potatoes or not.

To be fair, I don't list every ingredient --  don't usually have time for that -- but I write little labels on tongue depressors like V, GF, and the initials of my friend w the allergies to let them know what food they can have, like some restaurant menus I have seen and stick them in the dish.    It's not Martha Stewart pretty, but it works out well for our group!

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

And people wonder why I'm paranoid! Also, some people have really weird concepts, like, "Oh no, it doesn't have any nuts. Only a few walnuts." Ummmm... :pb_lol:

I've also encountered a lot of people who can't understand that vegetarians don't eat animals at all. "Oh, you're vegetarian? Well then you can have the chicken instead." It's also really common for people to think I eat fish, which I don't even blame them for because there are so many people who call themselves vegetarian while eating seafood. If you're a pescatarian great, but please don't call yourself a vegetarian!

I've also encountered a lot of people who can't understand that vegetarians don't eat animals at all. "Oh, you're vegetarian? Well then you can have the chicken instead." It's also really common for people to think I eat fish, which I don't even blame them for because there are so many people who call themselves vegetarian while eating seafood. If you're a pescatarian great, but please don't call yourself a vegetarian!

Yes! This is so annoying. And also things made with beef or chicken broth are NOT vegetarian.

I'm been vegetarian since 1995. I remember the last time I ate chicken. In the late 90s/ early 2000s my ex thought it was really funny to make me try a piece of his steak every time we went out. I went along with it even though it was disgusting. He was such a jerk about things like that and I always gave in. He had some weird power over me.

Nowadays I have learned to cook and when we have BBQs my husband makes the tri tip and I always make all the side dishes so I know I'll have something to eat. If I go eat somewhere else, I'll usually bring food if I don't know if there's something I can eat. I don't expect people to cater to me. I've been disappointed on different occasions when I think I can eat the side dishes, and then people put bacon in them. That bums me out. (Btw I love Morning Star's fake bacon!!)

Morning Star Farms fake bacon is wonderful. :-)

Back to JoyStin in the RV. Why was Austin pissed about the microwave? That wasn't Joy's fault.

there are people who don’t like cheese? I don’t think I can live in a world without cheese.  I have to be careful about dairy, but you will pry all the cheese curds out of my dead cold hands.   I Severely  disappointed my Rabbi when I said full stop I’m not taking dairy away from my meat dishes.  Mac n Cheese, Potatoes and Cheese, Chicken and Cheese.... (do the bubba Gump voice)

I usually get offered the fish option whenever I ask about a vegetarian option if nothing is listed on the menu. And then I just feel like I'm being super fussy and difficult when I politely decline the fish and the meat. But usually I am pretty easy about taking another option like salad and chips, or two sides. I figure it out without much fuss, it is usually everyone else that makes the drama about what I'm eating.

When I was visiting my aunt's place, she was making gravy for the dinner and poured the juice from the chicken (or beef whatever it was) being cooked into the gravy. She could not understand why I was politely declining the gravy and wouldn't let it up for about 10 mins persuading me. I am not even that fond of gravy, so it was no big deal to me. I am sure it might sound picky to some people though.

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

And people wonder why I'm paranoid! Also, some people have really weird concepts, like, "Oh no, it doesn't have any nuts. Only a few walnuts." Ummmm... :pb_lol: One time at a family gathering my aunt brought a salad with feta cheese on it and was quite insulted that I wasn't eating it. I was really apologetic, reminding her that I'm so sorry, but I just can't eat cheese, I'll get sick. Her response: "But it's just some feta cheese!" Yes... it's cheese...

I'm actually only allergic to two kinds of nuts, cashews and pistachios. But I've started just telling people that I'm allergic to nuts, full stop, because I've found that this weird thing happens when I tell people I'm allergic to cashews and pistachios: they only hear 'pistachios'. It's like 'cashews' doesn't register.

There's a man from my old church congregation who would periodically post jokes about food allergies on Facebook, and it was just abundantly clear that he did not take the issue seriously at all. The third or fourth time it happened I just thought, "Great, thank you for the warning to never, ever eat at your house again."

"He don't eat no meat?!? That's OK, I make lamb!"

My vegan friend had a hell of a time in China, where veganism is just not a thing. Sure, you can eke something out in the big cities (Beijing and Shanghai are probably your best bet) and you'll be mostly fine if you're going to, say, a Buddhist monastery where the monks are vegetarian, but she routinely had people say to her "oh, it's fine, it's just some egg" or "oh, yes, it's vegetables...there's no meat...that's just some pork fat! That's not meat!" My Muslim friend had a slightly easier time, if only because there's a fairly high population of Muslims in China, and halal restaurants are fairly commonplace (and DELICIOUS). 

I'm not vegetarian,but I'm not a big meat eater,and I love vegetarian recipes.I had a recipe for a chile rellano puff.I told my friend about.She was appalled and kept saying,"Melon,you need to put meat in it".We have a local Mexican restaurant.They don't season their meat,and they put too much meat for my taste,so I will order from the vegetarian options.The waiter or waitress will keep saying"No meat???No meat???"

I'm vegetarian, and wonder about how that will be if I ever get to travel someday.  I thought China would be good because of the large Buddhist population, but no? 

@Satan'sFortressI've done as US road trip as a vegetarian, I've also done Thailand and Cambodia (much easier than the US even with the language barrier) and Hong Kong (you have to be very careful but its a big city so its fine), the trip to mainland China was less fine.

China's very meaty and not very Buddhist.  They don't get vegetarianism at all (even Chinese restaurants in the US & UK mix tofu with fish quite often).

Ugh, all this talk of food reminds me.  So, my boyfriend is a vegetarian, I'm not. My mom stopped by my house today. I went grocery shopping and there were still a couple boxes of cereal on the counter I hadn't put away, and bagels next to the toaster. My mom is a super control freak and while she likes my boyfriend and has never been negative about him being vegetarian, I think she just hates that someone else has influence in my life besides her. So she tells me I'm going to "blow up like a house" if I eat like this and that my boyfriend is turning me into a "carb addict." She said, "You're not a vegetarian! Go buy protein."

I still eat meat pretty much every day and pack a healthy lunch to work. I just started a new full time job and I drive over 2 hours round trip each day. Like, sorry I have so much on my plate right now mom, I'll get right on cutting out carbs as soon as I adjust to my first job out of school and suddenly only having tops 4 waking hours of free time per day. :roll:

I've never really had issues finding food as a vegetarian even while traveling. The options might be limited, but there's pretty much always at least something I can eat.

Now, finding food as a vegan is another story! It's way easier now than it was when I first went vegan 12 years ago, when most people didn't even know what veganism was, but I still relax my dietary requirements when I travel. I could never eat meat, but it's really not a big deal to me to eat some dairy sometimes.

By the way, India is awesome if you're a vegetarian! Everything is labeled and there are extensive vegetarian options everywhere you go. Even fast food restaurants like KFC and McDonald's will have a whole side of the restaurant for vegetarians.

9 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

Someone secretly feeding me banana would cause me horrible migraine and waste a day of my life. 

I would not be chuffed.:annoyed:

Oh my gosh, someone with the same food intolerance/allergy as me! Mine is definitely an intolerance though. My mum would always tell the story of trying to feed me banana as a baby and no matter how it was presented (mashed, pureed, whole etc.) I would throw it up within 10 minutes. I don't know if I'm still intolerant but I definitely feel queasy when I smell it. I haven't ever tried to eat a banana (that I can remember) and, to be perfectly honest, I don't really want to. I'd definitely be pissed if someone tried to sneak it into my food.

It's probably a psychological thing by now though.

Otherwise I've grown from being a picky eater to trying spices, new foods and eating my steak blue.

4 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

"He don't eat no meat?!? That's OK, I make lamb"

I LOVE THIS MOVIE! It was the first movie I ever felt like I could relate to in a personal level. My family is pretty much the Irish version.

2 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I'm vegetarian, and wonder about how that will be if I ever get to travel someday.  I thought China would be good because of the large Buddhist population, but no? 

I lived in South Korea as a vegetarian.  They definitely have Buddhists around, and it was still a weird challenge to find food oftentimes.  But it was doable.

17 minutes ago, Crystal Wisdom said:

Oh my gosh, someone with the same food intolerance/allergy as me! Mine is definitely an intolerance though. My mum would always tell the story of trying to feed me banana as a baby and no matter how it was presented (mashed, pureed, whole etc.) I would throw it up within 10 minutes. I don't know if I'm still intolerant but I definitely feel queasy when I smell it. I haven't ever tried to eat a banana (that I can remember) and, to be perfectly honest, I don't really want to. I'd definitely be pissed if someone tried to sneak it into my food.

Oh, I HATE bananas too!  Except my family stories are of me refusing that particular fruit each and every time.  I've tried as an adult, but wound up puking after the second bite.  The smell is so awful...I just cannot.

• Jellybean locked this topic
  • Jellybean unlocked and locked this topic

Archived