IGNORED

Joy & Austin 21: Still Talking About Baby Gideon

Jellybean

1 hour ago, patsymae said:

So I am constantly fed things with nonvisible tomatoes, because "she'll never notice."

This is hideous to do to you and I am so very sorry to know this.  <3

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gluten intolerant here - celiac

if there is salad on the table I'm good.  I never make a fuss, can always find something, even if I have to wait til home.  Most good eateries are very accommodating nowadays. Avoid fast food like poison .  I even found gluten free beer to enjoy on a hot summer day!  

I feel like there should be a distinction between picky eaters and people with food issues. I probably can’t explain this well but I’ll try. I know of people who won’t eat leftovers. To me that’s being picky. I know other people who gag on certain textures. To me, that's a food issue. Lumping them together doesn’t help anyone and I wish food issues were taken more seriously. @patsymae Being allergic to tomatoes is an actual issue. It is so rude, condescending and potentionally dangerous for people to feed you food with hidden tomotoes. It makes me so angry that some people refuse to take allergies or intolerances seriously. I have no idea why they think they know better than the person with food issues. That is the height of arrogance and ignorance.

8 minutes ago, Kailash said:

I have no idea why they think they know better than the person with food issues. That is the height of arrogance and ignorance.

I don't cook enough for other for any of this to be an issue for me but I think one issue of why people don't care don't believe is because some people pretend to have an allergy so they aren't served something they don't like so instead of I don't like Blank they will just flat out say they are allergic to it so when the truth comes out that hey they aren't really allergic to whatever just picky  they ruin  trust  for everyone else. 

2 hours ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

if there is salad on the table I'm good.  I never make a fuss, can always find something, even if I have to wait til home.  Most good eateries are very accommodating nowadays. Avoid fast food like poison .  I even found gluten free beer to enjoy on a hot summer day!  

This is me, but I also have a seafood allergy. I usually  volunteer to bring something,  but most of my friends know and have things I can eat.

I switched to hard cider because I can't find a gluten free beer that I really like. 

I would definitely agree that there's a huge difference between allergies and intolerances, and just plain pickiness. I don't like pasta, but nothing's going to actually happen to me if I eat it. Whereas if I eat a cashew, I might wind up in the emergency room. I have a strong aversion to cheese - melted mozzarella, like on pizza, is usually fine, but I can't stomach any other kind of cheese. It's not an allergy, but it's so strong an aversion that if I were to try to force myself to eat it, it would make me physically ill. Again, that to me is not pickiness, unless you're cool with me puking at your dinner table. But if you serve me a bowl of spaghetti (assuming no cheese), and I turn my nose up at it, that's pickiness.

All that said, I don't expect other people to accommodate my issues with food. If you're inviting me as a house guest for a week, then sure, I would expect you to not cook or prepare food with nuts during that time, which I think is reasonable. But otherwise, I view it as my responsibility. I'll either bring something I can eat, or eat before/after the event. 

My youngest now 23 had food triggered migraines as an infant/toddler. I went crazy finding what he could eat. So I am completely good with people having food issues. There is always a good meal to have and avoid allergens. 

And, you know, people are just mean. Too bad but true. I can’t imagine serving someone something I knew they were allergic to and doing it on purpose nd concealing it. Whew. 

2 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

And, you know, people are just mean. Too bad but true. I can’t imagine serving someone something I knew they were allergic to and doing it on purpose nd concealing it. Whew. 

This goes to show that while some people are mean - and @patsymae, it's horrible that people have done that to you - there are others who are kind like you, @2manyKidzzz, who wouldn't dream of doing something like that a guest.

I have texture issues...like...nuts. I detest nuts hidden in things like ice cream. Coconut...no way. Strawberries...not in this lifetime. One of my kids won't eat mayo or tomatoes. Another one didn't like spicy food. But, those were things that were easy to work around. I was fond of one pot meals when they were little...it was just easier! There were my 3 and my 2 steps to cook for every night. Fortunately, they all loved rice, frozen veggies (usually corn, peas and green beans) and either chicken or beef. My X was a VERY picky eater. 

My husband is sort of a walking garbage can. I think there's but a few things he won't eat. Escargot, octopus, oranges are HELL NO. He's not a big fish fan but will eat shrimp, crab and lobster until he can't eat anymore. When we were REALLY broke, we lived on rice and beans...now, not so much. 

My mother was a HORRIBLE cook! I'm a good cook (if I had a better kitchen, I'd be a great cook). I love to cook but there's no way in hell I can do much cooking in my currently shitty kitchen. Hopefully someday I'll have a house with another awesome kitchen. 

The food intolerances issue is one I struggle to explain to family. It's usually defined as a non-immune, non-histamine negative reaction to food (not hives, anaphylaxis, etc). Food i tolerances often cause digestive issues, fatigue, and many vague symptoms. But for many people with autoimmune conditions and other illnesses, foods like certain wheat proteins (not actually gluten, in this particular study), cause inflammation as well (which is a non histamine immune response). So I avoid some foods like egg because of digestive problems they cause and rarely eat foods like wheat because of inflammation eating it it has been linked to in ppl with my chronic illness. So no immediate consequences from eating a vegan muffin but not something I'm going to do often because of the wheat. It's confusing.

My daughter won't eat meat. We have a deal that she has to eat one serving of meat a day (which is the Canada food guide recommendation for her age anyway), usually chicken, eggs or some sort of sea food, but I will usually try to accommodate her since it seems to be more than just her not liking it. She will eat any vegetable or fruit and will even try anything that isn't too spicy or heavily meat based so I don't mind too much. My son would live off cheese and milk if he could, he's a weird sort of picky because he doesn't even like chocolate or candy (he's 5 and special needs) so I have to spend more time trying to coax him since his pickiness doesn't allow for a lot of variety or healthy meals. I keep his servings small so he does not feel overwhelmed by the amount of food. My twins will eat anything, one isn't keen on bananas but otherwise they're up for anything.

For those responding to me: I should have made a distinction about allergies and issues. Whenever I cook for people, I always ask about intolerances, allergies, or dietary requirements, and I will always build the menu around those requirements (Muslim friend coming to the party? I'll make some chicken or veggie taco fillings instead of carnitas. Gluten-free peeps coming? I'll make some meringue cookies or macarons as well as the cupcakes. Vegan cousin coming? I'll make a bomb-ass vegan curry as the main dish). It's more about how to respond to people who just don't like stuff. Like, God or PETA won't strike them down if they eat it, they won't die or spend all night pooping/puking if they eat it, they just don't like stuff. I guess in that case, the ball is in their court. 

I have food allergies, and food intolerance and then I like really plain food.  I can’t really handle anything spicy.  Yay me!  Some times I will eat something on the intolerance list, but the poster above who mention UN classified farts, yeah thats me after beef, or apples etc.  Its nice to be asked for sure!  Both you and I want to avoid a steak and apple pie dinner.  If I just don’t like it, I will eat it, depends on how much I like you/ the situation. It helps that I am almost alway prepared with snacks.  

Mr. Luna has some food intolerances (heartburn) and likes food to be very flavorful. I usually cook one meal but add or leave out something for one of us and then add a sauce for Mr. Luna.  Sometimes its ranch or a can of cranberry sauce sometimes its homemade whatever.  I love to cook and so I don’t mind being creative.  That being said, sometimes me or Mr. Luna or both of us will eat cereal for dinner.  I like the one bite rule, but once they have tried something more then 3 or 4 times I wouldn’t serve it to them for a while.  I still remember the trauma with the ‘clean your plate’ Grandma.  My mom had to tell her off, saying that she may of had to listen to her (as a child) and clean her plate but me and my sib did not have to.  

I'm vegetarian and while probably nothing terrible would happen to me if I ate meat, it would be extremely upsetting to me. I hate it when people joke about tricking vegetarians into eating meat. Even if it's not a health requirement it's really rude to trick people into eating something they don't want to eat.

I am really grateful that my parents let me be vegetarian growing up. I'd hear other parents tell my parents that if I were their kid they'd just make me eat meat, but I really appreciate that my parents respected my choice not to eat meat. (FWIW, my doctors always said it was totally fine, and my mom always made sure I took any needed supplements.) It seems like a lot of non-vegetarians think of vegetarianism as just another preference, and it probably is for a lot of people, but for some people like me the idea of eating an animal is just viscerally upsetting and I really think it would have been cruel for my parents to make me eat meat anyway. I'm glad my parents realized it was different from, say, requiring me to eat cooked carrots even though I didn't particularly like them.

@singsingsing OMG someone else who doesn't like cheese! Like You I don't mind mozzarella, and I enjoy melted fake ass orange american cheese, but it has to be warm and melted, it is gross cold. I loathe most other cheeses, cold cheese grosses me out. 

There is a difference between food issues and picky eaters. My sister is picky, my friends kids have food issues, she has twins with celiacs. And no they aren't gluten free because, they are gluten free because it makes the boys MISERABLE to digest it. 

5 hours ago, singsingsing said:

All that said, I don't expect other people to accommodate my issues with food. If you're inviting me as a house guest for a week, then sure, I would expect you to not cook or prepare food with nuts during that time, which I think is reasonable. But otherwise, I view it as my responsibility. I'll either bring something I can eat, or eat before/after the event. 

This. The fact that I have a severe aversion to meat is my problem, not yours, and I don't expect people to work around me.

That said sing, we have reached a parting of ways, and I'm honour bound to shun you for the rest of time. Cheese is a gift from the gods to prove they love us. :-P

Seriously though, there's enough variety of foods in the world that I don't see a problem in tolerating people's food likes and dislikes. You don't like cheese? Cool! More for me. I don't like meat, so you can eat that. Now everyone's happy. No need for bullshit like hiding foods in people's food and stuff like that.

8 hours ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

Our local chip shop does Gluten free Wednesday's.  Brilliant idea.

3 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

Scotland or England? I would LOVE to try that. lol

4 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

Our sadly defunct local chip shop did gluten-free as well. They had a sign alerting everyone to just ask for gluten-free, which also explained coeliacs. First time I had ever heard of it. Scottish chippies: educational and filling. :)

8 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I'm vegetarian and while probably nothing terrible would happen to me if I ate meat, it would be extremely upsetting to me. I hate it when people joke about tricking vegetarians into eating meat. Even if it's not a health requirement it's really rude to trick people into eating something they don't want to eat.

(snip)

That is just unacceptable. It's not cute, it's not funny, it's a breach of trust. Even if no one comes to any harm, the fact remains that trust was broken. If I say that I don't eat this, that or the other, and someone tricks me into eating it anyway, I am going to wonder what kind of person they are. And they can go step on a Lego, when they claim that it was for my own good and "but you enjoyed it". Not the point! Someone I trusted lied to me.

Someone secretly feeding me banana would cause me horrible migraine and waste a day of my life. 

I would not be chuffed.:annoyed:

Scotland is also home of the most beautiful landscapes I've ever seen. See this house? I want it. It's between Glasgow & Fort William. (photo under spoiler)

Spoiler

5aa14dde049b7_28617256_10213908770770617_3533084599022357492_o-Copy.thumb.jpg.f0cf2365b45b92a643894b155f4103ed.jpg

9 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I am really grateful that my parents let me be vegetarian growing up. I'd hear other parents tell my parents that if I were their kid they'd just make me eat meat, but I really appreciate that my parents respected my choice not to eat meat. (FWIW, my doctors always said it was totally fine, and my mom always made sure I took any needed supplements.) It seems like a lot of non-vegetarians think of vegetarianism as just another preference, and it probably is for a lot of people, but for some people like me the idea of eating an animal is just viscerally upsetting and I really think it would have been cruel for my parents to make me eat meat anyway. I'm glad my parents realized it was different from, say, requiring me to eat cooked carrots even though I didn't particularly like them.

My daughter was a vegetarian from about ages 12-25...then she moved to So America and had to eat what was provided in her host home...and then she married a man from So America who is a great cook, and she eats whatever she s served. 

• Jellybean locked this topic
  • Jellybean unlocked and locked this topic

Archived