IGNORED

Captain Bret Alan Smith Part 5: Still No Trial Update: He Plead Guilty

DaisyD

25 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

isn't Alan facing charges in 2 separate counties? Is this plea deal for the charges in both locations?

The plea deal was for the charges in Colquitt County, I believe the charges from the other county were dropped when he pleaded guilt.

• Upvote 1
  • Angry 1
  • Disgust 2
  • Thank You 3

18 hours ago, Bethella said:

I suspect that he has a split-sentence where he will serve half of his eight year sentence (July 2016-July 2020) in jail* and the remaining half of the sentence on probation. 

*He is still at the Colquitt County Jail. 

He's now been moved to the Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison (GDCP). I bet it isn't as comfy as jail.   http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/GDC/FacilityMap/html/S_50000269.html

I am surprised, and disgusted, that his sentence ended up as short as it did even with time served.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4

15 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

He's now been moved to the Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison (GDCP). I bet it isn't as comfy as jail.   http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/GDC/FacilityMap/html/S_50000269.html

I am surprised, and disgusted, that his sentence ended up as short as it did even with time served.

I agree.

My son's high school math teacher was sentenced to life for abusing his stepdaughter, which seems to me a much fairer sentence for ruining someone else's life.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

58 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

They must have moved him in the last couple of days (or they just got around to updating the website) Yesterday it said he was still at the Jail and the picture wasn't there.

• Upvote 3

Do we know if he will be a RSO? (he better the hell be)

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

It may depend on the jail. I have been told by someone who has been in several local jails and prisons, that prison is way easier than jail, at least around here.

This guy can't stay in prison/jail/whatever long enough, IMO. He sounds like the sort of offender who doesn't get better, just learns to hide things better.

• Upvote 11

I thought for sure he’d be in prison until most of his kids were grown. I’m shocked he’s likely to be out so soon. 

The only positive I can see is that the Mortons have closed ranks around Katie so at least she won’t be expected to take him back once he gets out (or so I hope). Which should be so much a given that there’s no point even mentioning it but I could see some of the families we follow expecting him to be reinstated as patriarch as soon as he is out of the prison gates. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bethella said:

They must have moved him in the last couple of days (or they just got around to updating the website) 

Yes.  I last looked on Monday and the Offender Registry said he was still in the jail.

2 hours ago, Nikedagain? said:

Do we know if he will be a RSO? (he better the hell be)

I believe so.  His plea was to molestation of a minor and that means he should have to register.

1 hour ago, Alisamer said:

It may depend on the jail. I have been told by someone who has been in several local jails and prisons, that prison is way easier than jail, at least around here.

I really don't know.  It think prisons usually have more activities and educational programs than jails, and may be better at sorting out the truly dangerous from the general population.  Mind you, my knowledge of jails is primarily gleaned from watching a few episodes of 60 Days In (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/60_Days_In).  All I know about prisons first hand is from a couple of visits to a Federal prison psych unit with my TD.  Luckily someone else took over that TD gig from us.  It wasn't a good match for me or the dog. :(

Alan may not stay in the Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison for long.  Wikipedia tells me that is primarily for sorting out inmates into other facilities, but it also houses Death Row.

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

58 minutes ago, Topaz said:

The only positive I can see is that the Mortons have closed ranks around Katie so at least she won’t be expected to take him back once he gets out (or so I hope). Which should be so much a given that there’s no point even mentioning it but I could see some of the families we follow expecting him to be reinstated as patriarch as soon as he is out of the prison gates. 

They're divorced, so I don't see Katie taking him back. I am worried that he might be able to get some type visitation with at least some of the children after his release. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:04 AM, Palimpsest said:

How long is his sentence?

8 minutes ago, Letgo said:

How long is his sentence?

Not nearly long enough.  His maximum time in prison is cited as 2020.  He may get out before then if he makes like a model prisoner and if the GA prisons are overwhelmed.

I think @Bethella is right and it is a split sentence.  Eight years, but time served, so short incarceration, and then the rest of the sentence as probation.

He pleaded guilty to a molestation charge -  and that is something because it should get him on the sexual offenders list.

I am not optimistic about sexual offenders ever.  I deeply suspect that he will offend again.  And possibly breed more victims for himself, but probably not with Katie.

Massive failure of the system is the best I can say.  It happens so often in these cases.:( 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, Palimpsest said:

Not nearly long enough.  His maximum time in prison is cited as 2020.  He may get out before then if he makes like a model prisoner and if the GA prisons are overwhelmed.

I think @Bethella is right and it is a split sentence.  Eight years, but time served, so short incarceration, and then the rest of the sentence as probation.

He pleaded guilty to a molestation charge -  and that is something because it should get him on the sexual offenders list.

I am not optimistic about sexual offenders ever.  I deeply suspect that he will offend again.  And possibly breed more victims for himself, but probably not with Katie.

Massive failure of the system is the best I can say.  It happens so often in these cases.:( 

That is exactly what I would be afraid of. In all probability, he has offended before. And will again if he gets the chance.  I see his parents giving him the chance because they will never, ever admit that their golden boy is less than perfect.  He belongs on the SO list and also in the general prison population. I have zero sympathy for pedophiles.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

4 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

ITA. Even in the best of post-prison circumstances, it would be an uphill battle for him to live without re-offending. Pedophiles are difficult to rehabilitate.

Needless to say, with parents like his, he will almost certainly NOT be in the best of circumstances.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

Interesting post from Libby Anne relating to this issue. Letters from the Pen is a blog consisting of correspondence from a Missouri man convicted of the rape of a minor. Fundie, homeschool grad, 4 kids, and still insufferably self-righteous even behind bars.  His sister posts his letters in blog format. Libby Anne has a lot of the choice quotes but start with his first post. So persecuted! Hopefully he can show all the real bad guys in prison what it means to be a good Christian!

I can't help but imagine that Alan is exactly the same way.

• Upvote 5
  • Disgust 2
  • WTF 3

11 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

ITA. Even in the best of post-prison circumstances, it would be an uphill battle for him to live without re-offending. Pedophiles are difficult to rehabilitate.

Needless to say, with parents like his, he will almost certainly NOT be in the best of circumstances.

Yeah, kind of difficult to get anyone to change/improve themselves if they and the people around them already believe them to be perfect and chosen by God.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

On 5/15/2018 at 5:08 PM, Bethella said:

I suppose the fact that it was a plea deal played a role.

Playing the Jesus Card has long been a way to get out of jail, if not free, after a very short sentence, especially if one's governor is an evangelical. As Governor of Arkansas, Mike Huckabee gave clemency to a man serving a 95 year sentence, on the grounds that he (the prisoner) had been born again and was thus not likely to offend. The Arkansas DOC gave him a one-way ticket to Washington, where he continued his crime spree, including raping a child, before gunning down 4 police officers in a coffee shop.  There were others, too, including a serial rapist who, after being freed by the Gov., raped and murdered two women before being re-arrested.

A study by the Arkansas Leader showed that between 1996 and 2004, Huckabee helped to free more Arkansas prisoners than were freed from all of Arkansas’ six neighboring states—combined.

"In 2007, ABC News reported on the role that Huckabee’s religious beliefs may have played in his decisions to support early release of so many prisoners:

None of the prosecutors were ever told why Huckabee felt compelled to have a hand in freeing so many prisoners, though all of them speculate that his deeply religious nature led to a strong belief in repentance and forgiveness. In some cases, prosecutors say, evangelical leaders attested that a prisoner had found Jesus and that seemed to influence the governor’s thoughts.

Sources here: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/topic/huckabee-watch

In the case of Bret Smith, I just want to puke. You know the Cap'n played a lot of Jesus cards to get his offspring off with basically a hand-slap.

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 4
  • Sad 4
  • WTF 1

1 hour ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Interesting post from Libby Anne relating to this issue. Letters from the Pen is a blog consisting of correspondence from a Missouri man convicted of the rape of a minor. Fundie, homeschool grad, 4 kids, and still insufferably self-righteous even behind bars.  His sister posts his letters in blog format. Libby Anne has a lot of the choice quotes but start with his first post. So persecuted! Hopefully he can show all the real bad guys in prison what it means to be a good Christian!

I can't help but imagine that Alan is exactly the same way.

What an utter fucktard. According to this, he believes he shouldn't be in jail at all, because forgiveness is better than the law, or something. 

• Upvote 2
  • Angry 1

10 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

Playing the Jesus Card has long been a way to get out of jail, if not free, after a very short sentence, especially if one's governor is an evangelical. As Governor of Arkansas, Mike Huckabee gave clemency to a man serving a 95 year sentence, on the grounds that he (the prisoner) had been born again and was thus not likely to offend. The Arkansas DOC gave him a one-way ticket to Washington, where he continued his crime spree, including raping a child, before gunning down 4 police officers in a coffee shop.  There were others, too, including a serial rapist who, after being freed by the Gov., raped and murdered two women before being re-arrested.

"In 2007, ABC News reported on the role that Huckabee’s religious beliefs may have played in his decisions to support early release of so many prisoners:

Sources here: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/topic/huckabee-watch

In the case of Bret Smith, I just want to puke. You know the Cap'n played a lot of Jesus cards to get his offspring off with basically a hand-slap.

I wonder what color these "born again" criminals were who were so generously set free by Huckabee. 

Color me skeptical.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

19 hours ago, VVV said:

I wonder what color these "born again" criminals were who were so generously set free by Huckabee. 

Color me skeptical.

I don’t know about the others, but the one that received clemency and then killed 4 police officers was an African American. It happened in the town next to mine. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Clemmons

• Upvote 3

This picture is Katie's cover photo from last November. I don't think its been shown on these threads before. She and the kids look healthy and happy. 

I've also gone through every. single. blog post made by the Mortons and stalked instagrams and facebook to put together a cheat sheet on them...but I have no birth years for the oldest Morton kids. Michael Sr and Jeanine Morton were married in 1982, then came Michael Jr, Katie, William Cleveland, and Wesley, before #5 Dorothy in 1990, Adeline 1991, Martha 1993, Andrew 1995, Sam 1996, no birth year for John, then Edwin 2001 and Paul 2003. If anyone has the other birth years I would be very grateful!

Edited by neurogirl
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, Mrs. Bean said:

I don’t know about the others, but the one that received clemency and then killed 4 police officers was an African American. It happened in the town next to mine. 

Can you explain a bit more about what his being African American has to do with anything? It seems like the common thread of Huckabee-influenced easier sentences had a lot to do with proclaiming Christianity, not race.

• I Agree 1

8 hours ago, neurogirl said:

This picture is Katie's cover photo from last November. I don't think its been shown on these threads before. She and the kids look healthy and happy. 

I've also gone through every. single. blog post made by the Mortons and stalked instagrams and facebook to put together a cheat sheet on them...but I have no birth years for the oldest Morton kids. Michael Sr and Jeanine Morton were married in 1982, then came Michael Jr, Katie, William Cleveland, and Wesley, before #5 Dorothy in 1990, Adeline 1991, Martha 1993, Andrew 1995, Sam 1996, no birth year for John, then Edwin 2001 and Paul 2003. If anyone has the other birth years I would be very grateful!

Wow, I would not have recognized Katie. She looks really good!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, neurogirl said:

@Bethella's family tree project covers the birthdates of all the children except for Kendall:

http://fotw.freejinger.org/search.php?action=header&ged=fotw2&query=Morton&x=6&y=6

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2